GDT: @ Illinois State 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ Illinois State 2016

The missed TD call bit us in the rear this time. Moreover the lack of a run game is killing us. Makes a person wonder what Little Z could've done this year. Granted O line hasn't helped, maybe a big bruiser like Olungrinde will be what we need. Heck I wonder again why Mulholland is on the D.

The penalties were absolutely atrocious today and the fake FG...WTF.

I love the aggressive nature but good lord, what was it...4th and 17? Either way we have never done well with trick plays...running them or defending them.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      Plenty of blame to go around on this one:

-lots of penalties and many of the stupid variety
      -Another terrible start
      -we lose the turnover battle (2 in red zone)

The thing that killed us though is the play calling.
      -4th&2 and we go empty backfield draw and get stopped
      -4th&17 and we try a fake field goal! What the nutmeg?
      -there were a number of other odd play calls

Tough one to swallow. You knew ISUR was going to put it together eventually and it was this week. You have to expect that and we weren't ready. A shame to see us waste such a huge opportunity.

There are still some pretty lofty things ahead for them if they win out.

Let's start with 1-0 next week and put a whipping on Mo St.

SUPERBUNNY
      What lofty things are ahead? A meaningless (realistically) autobid? And I'm watching the NDSU UNI game, I would put exactly no money on us winning down there with anything worthwhile on the line right now. If you aren't worried about us making the playoffs you aren't paying attention. We get MSU next week where we will get a meaningless win, and then a pretty good USeD team that will be desperate and then at a desperate UNI. That is an awful mix, and losing any of those will look horrible. We are in legitimate danger of pulling a Youngstown now. Any more losses and we have a legit case to be left out. You're all insane if you think we have a chance at anything bigger other than just making the playoffs. A seed is gone unless there are multiple massive upsets across the country. The most we can hope for is to not be matched up with Montana in the first round so we can get one home playoff game on Thanksgiving, so the attendance will be awful, and then back up to Fargo. At least we won there this year, so we can have a little confidence.
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
        What lofty things are ahead? A meaningless (realistically) autobid? And I'm watching the NDSU UNI game, I would put exactly no money on us winning down there with anything worthwhile on the line right now. If you aren't worried about us making the playoffs you aren't paying attention. We get MSU next week where we will get a meaningless win, and then a pretty good USeD team that will be desperate and then at a desperate UNI. That is an awful mix, and losing any of those will look horrible. We are in legitimate danger of pulling a Youngstown now. Any more losses and we have a legit case to be left out. You're all insane if you think we have a chance at anything bigger other than just making the playoffs. A seed is gone unless there are multiple massive upsets across the country. The most we can hope for is to not be matched up with Montana in the first round so we can get one home playoff game on Thanksgiving, so the attendance will be awful, and then back up to Fargo. At least we won there this year, so we can have a little confidence.
        Geez, I'm bummed out about this one too but we still have a chance to win a conference title. That doesn't. Entirely suck. Does it? Now, sure we come out and play like this again then we can kiss that and the playoffs goodbye.

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post

Rant - bad miss on the replay costing a TD
          Rave - we have a good long snapper
          Rant - running game (see above)
          Rant - our return game. Has football changed that much in 22 years since I played that having a good KO return team is impossible. Really? Has it? Do we have no athletes that can field a kick and burn it down field? We've upped the level of play at every position except we can't find a speedster to return kicks and 10 guys to block for him? Ahhh, good old 1994 when every kick return was the potential for a big play. (Anyone remember St. Cloud State player saying Herrboldt wasn't very fast even though he ran one back on them? I digress).
          Rave - my wife made a good supper tonight and I enjoyed it with an Alaskan Brewery Freeride Pale Ale

Wow, most I've typed on this board in a while. I'm still PO'd over wasting my afternoon hoping things would turn around. Thankfully it was raining here in the Twin Cities so I didn't miss anything outside.
          Stealing my bit???
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            Geez, I'm bummed out about this one too but we still have a chance to win a conference title. That doesn't. Entirely suck. Does it? Now, sure we come out and play like this again then we can kiss that and the playoffs goodbye.

SUPERBUNNY
            Not something worth a whole lot if you don't get a seed out of it. Basically a participation trophy damn near at that point. Or a congrats on making the playoffs trophy. Which does suck. What does it really mean if we are playing at Montana or NDSU for the third or fourth time? We just get to say "well we won the MVFC"? Not worth a whole lot if it has the same results as usual, just a prettier title. So yes, that does entirely suck. Because I absolutely LOATHE participation trophys.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
              The missed TD call bit us in the rear this time. Moreover the lack of a run game is killing us. Makes a person wonder what Little Z could've done this year. Granted O line hasn't helped, maybe a big bruiser like Olungrinde will be what we need. Heck I wonder again why Mulholland is on the D.

The penalties were absolutely atrocious today and the fake FG...WTF.

I love the aggressive nature but good lord, what was it...4th and 17? Either way we have never done well with trick plays...running them or defending them.
              It was sheer stupiduty and nothing less. Bur I'm just a bad fan, so don't listen to me.
              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

We will NEVER get a home playoff game against Montana. They will bid (and draw) more. That's just reality
                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

I can't tell if you all actually like this or are just trolling me. I said on twitter that I was going to wait until tomorrow to do my Rants and Raves but I'm busy tomorrow so here we go...

Rant: 63 attempted passes... No need for comment.

Rave: Matt Holland made some sweet hype videos this week. Good job Matt.

Rant: Pupungatoa had a rough game. He got annihilated on the 4th and 1 in the first quarter and was routinely beaten off the line by the DT across from him. He has played better and will play better going forward. He's still fairly new to the position.

Rant: Effort was poor in the first half by the entire team.

Rant: Every time we sniff the top 5 we **** the bed. This is a leadership problem. If this was once or twice I'd forgive it. However, this happens every. single. time.

Rave: Even though we played terrible, we were still in the game until the bad review on the TD.

Rant: How the hell was that not a TD??? I saw it right away on the first replay. Inexcusable by the replay referee. Not saying we win the game but it is certainly a different ballgame.

Rant: Weird call on the fake fg. We needed the three points.

Rave: Warrum is a hell of a receiver and we make him look really good every year. I'm happy he's graduating.

Rant: I prefer Jake Harms to Cody Hazelett when Dallas Brown isn't available. Jake is a physical player and doesn't commit the dumb penalties that Hazelett is susceptible to. The third and long PI was just plane ****ty today.

Rant: Enough with the one had catch attempts from Jake and Dallas. Yes, there is a time and place for it, but not every gosh dang throw.

Rave: Ryan Earith made a couple of nice plays in the second half after being pushed around in the first half. I suppose this could be true for the entire defense.

Bottom Line: This team has to solve its leadership problem. Eventually we have to stop stubbing our toe when we get to the top ten. It is just so frustrating year after year. We now need a lot of help to get a seed. It would have been nice to not have to play on Thanksgiving weekend.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Not something worth a whole lot if you don't get a seed out of it. Basically a participation trophy damn near at that point. Or a congrats on making the playoffs trophy. Which does suck. What does it really mean if we are playing at Montana or NDSU for the third or fourth time? We just get to say "well we won the MVFC"? Not worth a whole lot if it has the same results as usual, just a prettier title. So yes, that does entirely suck. Because I absolutely LOATHE participation trophys.
                    What I don't understand is that you're resigned to the Jacks losing in the playoffs when we're several weeks from them even setting seeds. I concede that an effort like today's will likely result in a loss, but no one knows what will happen from week to week, and the Jacks have defeated playoff-caliber teams.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                      Rant: Enough with the one had catch attempts from Jake and Dallas. Yes, there is a time and place for it, but not every gosh dang throw.
                      Ditto on this one as well. Too many one handed attempts by Jake today. Dallas's grab on the screen was a nice play and had he turned for a two handed grab he may not have made it. Personally, I'm tired of any one handed grab being "amazing" or a "can you believe he did that" or "that's a SportsCenter top 10 play. We get it. You can make a one handed catch (this goes for any player college through NFL), but you don't have to do it every time. Actually, I would hope that if you are a receiver or TE at a high level you CAN make a one handed catch. Should be pretty routine actually. Holy crap...rant over.

Sorry for stealing your bit WestSide...thought it was fair game for all of us to participate
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                        What I don't understand is that you're resigned to the Jacks losing in the playoffs when we're several weeks from them even setting seeds. I concede that an effort like today's will likely result in a loss, but no one knows what will happen from week to week, and the Jacks have defeated playoff-caliber teams.
                        Because we haven't proved we are any different than years before. In fact, we continually prove we are exactly what people thought we were. Year after year.

Did we get jobbed by the officials for most of the game today? Absolutely. They were blatantly making up for the seven missed calls against ISUr the week before. Especially in the first half. They did make some awful calls the other way too. Doesn't matter though, the team didn't put in the effort that deserved a win. Like we did at Montana last year, Cal Poly this year, WIU last year, ISUr the year before that, YSU Hobo day the same year, NDSU last year, and on and on and on.

What makes you think we will get to the Semi finals or further? This team hasn't proven they can string together enough good games constantly to do it.

Comment

Your implicTion is that I would be satisfied with making the playoffs and that isn't the case. The talent is there on this team to win the whole shebang if they play to potential. Obviously that's the big if.

As for the "participation trophy" I couldn't disagree more. At the beginning of the year you were asked if the Jacks winning the MVFC would be a big deal you mean to tell me you'd say no? That's a load of hooey! It's a conference with the 5-time defending champ and 5 other ranked teams at the start of the year. You damn right I want that "participation trophy"! It would be nice to participate int that!

Now, I'm all for doing both!

SUPERBUNNY.
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

I actually brought this up during the game. Sure seemed there were a couple times Jake tried to catch the ball with one hand when he coulda used them both. Easy to say watching on tv, but it sure looked like he coulda used both.

Comment

I have always thought the "work hard now" work ethic, so it becomes an "easier" path to take at the end of the season when all the chips are down and its time to reap your rewards logic should be deeply embedded into any sports program that wants to be successful year in and year out .Kudos to those who embrace that philosophy ,and even though I hate to give the Bison any "encouragement" by praising them (like they really need it) I have to respect how they have been able to stay on top as long as they have.They embody the idea of having a winning tradition .All that said ,I was hoping we would have taken a bigger step in that direction this year.Leadership does indeed play a big role in all that .That's my rant,my praise is they're all still Jackrabbits and I know they'll work hard to right the ship ,and I know they are just as disheartened with this loss as we the fans are.

Comment

Because we haven't proved we are any different than years before. In fact, we continually prove we are exactly what people thought we were. Year after year.

Did we get jobbed by the officials for most of the game today? Absolutely. They were blatantly making up for the seven missed calls against ISUr the week before. Especially in the first half. They did make some awful calls the other way too. Doesn't matter though, the team didn't put in the effort that deserved a win. Like we did at Montana last year, Cal Poly this year, WIU last year, ISUr the year before that, YSU Hobo day the same year, NDSU last year, and on and on and on.

What makes you think we will get to the Semi finals or further? This team hasn't proven they can string together enough good games constantly to do it.
                                At this point, I don't know if the Jacks will make the playoffs, let alone advance, although you won't be surprised to know that I think they will. However, to say they haven't "exorcised some demons" this year ignores the NDSU and Hobo Day wins. After losses, I try to temper disappointment with aspects like the INTs and penalties with what we might be overlooking like Soulek's play and nifty moves by Jacks' underclassmen receivers to convert long downs. Might there be a chance that these same receivers could contribute to subsequent wins and put even more stress on opposing defenses?

Comment

Working...
                                X