Beef Bowl GDT vs. Cal Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Beef Bowl GDT vs. Cal Poly

Defense was a joke. Nothing more needs to be said there.

What isn't getting enough flack, in my opinion, is the offensive line. We can't run the ball and our QBs are running for their lives. Just awful.

Only bright spots for me: TC is still upright (barely), Jake and Goedert are incredible, and I thought the special teams was really good. Kick coverage was phenomenal and the kick return game was productive. That doesn't always happen for SDSU.

Without good line play, it doesn't matter.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Defense sucks, last three games speak for themselves. Offensively, the play calling was stupid, why continue to call QB runs when he can barely walk? Once again our offense is unstoppable when we go vertical, Wieneke and Goedert on go's and seem routes will continue to petrify defenses, so let's do something crazy like throw swing passes and hand the ball of for 1 yard in a cloud of dust.

Anyways, thank God for beer.

Comment

16,800 in the stands. It got loud. Would have felt real fun had we won.

These are the games we need to start winning to keep people coming to ball games. Our top 3 attended games are all losses.

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
          16,800 in the stands. It got loud. Would have felt real fun had we won.

These are the games we need to start winning to keep people coming to ball games. Our top 3 attended games are all losses.
          I was thinking this too. You lose a lot of fans with this loss.

I'm not sure what was going on all night, but SDSU was getting beat badly. Obviously SDSU made a change at half for their defense , but Cal Poly just went dive all second half instead of going outside all the time during the first half. This was so ugly to watch in person. Better get it fixed quick or they'll end up 4-7 and Stig will retire.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

The defense looked like they were thinking all night and watching instead of just playing fast. Didn't seem to be much emotion there, but when a team is marching up and down the field as methodically as Poly did, it's bound to suck the excitement out of the game.
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

And for those pointing fingers at the play calling and offensive line. We're averaging well over 30 points a game. if I would have told you at the start of the season that in our OOC schedule our lowest scoring game we put up 31, how many of us would have expected to be 1-2. With a WIU team coming in with a prolific running attack, the defense better use this bye week to get it together. Personally, I'm just repeating "It's just like 2007, it's just like 2007, it's just like 2007." *click click click*

Comment

Complete defensive coaching failure. They had 2 weeks to game plan for this triple option (assuming not much planning was needed for Drake) and this is what they came up with?! Vanilla defensive calls, just sitting back, waiting for the option to come downhill, hoping guys can shed blocks and make plays?! I have never seen a defense in sich poor positions to stop an option. Every outside option the QB could comfortably make a decision while our guy sat back and waited for him to decide. So frustrating to watch. Then to see our D line get pushed back like they did. They started to gain some traction toward the end, but then our LBs and DBs couldn't make a tackle when a guy got through the first level. Unbelievable how much our corners got burnt on pass plays. I realize that it's difficult to come up and make tackles on the option, and be able to make sure you cover guys deep too, but there was just too much space. Again, completely vanilla play calling, sitting back and waiting for them to ram it down our throat. I can just hear the coaches saying "just keep everything in front of you", because that's what all of the play calling was tonight. I don't think I saw much for blitzing at all. I would have to watch it again, but I don't remember one. Completely inexcusable on the part of the defensive play calling.

Comment

Do we win this game if we had the old CAS field back?
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                    And for those pointing fingers at the play calling and offensive line. We're averaging well over 30 points a game. if I would have told you at the start of the season that in our OOC schedule our lowest scoring game we put up 31, how many of us would have expected to be 1-2. With a WIU team coming in with a prolific running attack, the defense better use this bye week to get it together. Personally, I'm just repeating "It's just like 2007, it's just like 2007, it's just like 2007." *click click click*
                    Scoring 31 points doesn't change the fact our offensive line was overwhelmed and the play calling was suspect. Obviously the defense was the huge issue but lack of running game and getting our qb killed are also ones.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                      Scoring 31 points doesn't change the fact our offensive line was overwhelmed and the play calling was suspect. Obviously the defense was the huge issue but lack of running game and getting our qb killed are also ones.
                      The majority of the pressure in the second half was because they were blitzing the house. In the first half TC had a lot of time to throw. The o line can only block so many people, the QB needs to recognize that and hit the hot route.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        Defense was a joke. Nothing more needs to be said there.

What isn't getting enough flack, in my opinion, is the offensive line. We can't run the ball and our QBs are running for their lives. Just awful.
                        I agree about time for QB's, but Mangarelli had 5 carries for 40 yards and Wallace 8 for 40, so they combined for a 6.2 average. Nothing wrong with the run game, we just didn't run it very much.

I agree with a previous poster about the trick plays. With our talent on offense, don't worry about gimmicks, just get our playmakers the ball.

Comment

I100% agree with rabbidrabbit, if we still had natural grass and a big crown, we pry win but thats besides the point. As of right now, we are barely the 2nd to last best D in the Valley, our offense kept us in this game. We will be very fortunate to be 7-4. We are not a playoff team at this point. We will be lucky to avg 12,000 fans the rest of the season. I still believe, but it's gonna be a grind. Props to Cal Poly, great game.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksBacker View Post
                            I100% agree with rabbidrabbit, if we still had natural grass and a big crown, we pry win but thats besides the point. As of right now, we are barely the 2nd to last best D in the Valley, our offense kept us in this game. We will be very fortunate to be 7-4. We are not a playoff team at this point. We will be lucky to avg 12,000 fans the rest of the season. I still believe, but it's gonna be a grind. Props to Cal Poly, great game.
                            Let's see how the next couple games go, particularly if/when we get back the defensive starters who were injured. I think the Jacks will pleasantly surprise us all by winning in Fargo and on Hobo Day to regain equilibrium. You can probably guess that I also believe they'll beat Western Ill.

As for attendance, Hobo Day and the USD games alone should decrease the likelihood of a 7k reduction, and I would argue that low attendance on Oct. 1 for our conference opener says more about casual fans' allegiances than it does the quality of the team, although harvest and hunting could also influence crowd sizes.

The Jacks have lost two games by a total of 25 points, and both the offense and defense have shown "flashes." The defense and OL in particular got "punched in the mouth" yesterday, but I think they will be the better for it moving forward, and the Jacks will regain and maintain an upward trajectory for the remainder of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksBacker View Post
                              Oh really! While we are at it, let move back to Sexauer Field (0ld State Field) Sounds like butt hurt to me. Cal Poly came to win and that's what happen.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 09-18-2016, 06:48 AM.

Comment

I was joking about getting the grass field back. (That's why it was purple.)

Anyhow, we did our usual in proving we're just not quite top 10 material yet. Top 25? Sure, but every time EVERY. TIME. we break into the to 10, we lose.
                                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                                X