Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Beef Bowl GDT vs. Cal Poly

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    You can hope that the fans won't, but I'm fairly certain this was a huge hit to trying to generate a larger fanbase. Losing to an unranked team (they should have been ranked) when you are ranked in the top ten is not going to generate any excitement for the rest of the season. Talk about a deflating loss. If we average 13,000 fans after that I'll be pretty happy. I doubt we break 10,000 for the Misery St game now. I will never be optimistic about fan turnout after a game like that. Really disappointing. Had a second great opportunity to really grow the fanbase and just straight piss it down our leg AGAIN.
    While I agree winning these games helps bring fans back to a point, the product of football has as much to do with increasing fan attendance, and our offense is currently providing that. I attended the game with a couple of people who have either never been to a game or haven't been to one in years (plus really don't have any loyalty to SDSU) and they were gushing over how fun it was to watch Wieneke and Goedert play. Everyone in my group walked away talking about how much they enjoyed the experience even with the loss by the Jackrabbits.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      The defense and OL definitely played their worst game of the season (and hopefully it remains that way), but can we really say the Jacks laid an egg? To me that implies the opponents dominated the stats and score, and Cal Poly won by a TD. Plus, the Jacks had a chance at the end. Having said that, if the Jacks had scored rather than throwing the INT, I would've opted to go for two rather than trying to stop Cal Poly in OT.

The Western Ill. game will be a great litmus test of the team's mettle. As for engaging fans and generating excitement -- Wieneke, Goedert, Christion, et al. have provided highlight reel performances. Plus, I can look across the field multiple times at these games and see Lujan as the first person greeting his teammates when they exit the field after PATs, kickoffs, offensive series, etc. That speaks to the character of at least some of the team, and it makes me want to root for them even more.

I realize the Jacks won't beat teams in the Valley, or anywhere else, with "feel good" stories like Lujan's I mentioned above, but I think the DL and OL will improve and the secondary will make more plays like the INTs at TCU, and the team will right the ship.
      I agree with everything you state except to the degree with which it pertains to casual fans, which is what my previous post was regarding. Total yardage in the Cal Poly game was 601-336, not in our favor. We were favored to win this game. We could argue the semantics of "laying an egg", but I think we agree more than we disagree in our thoughts on this game and our team. I think this loss and last years NDSU loss were huge missed opportunities, (big crowds), to convert casual fans into die-hard fans. No doubt, we have great student-athletes on our team, which by all accounts are great teammates, high character citizens, and I'm proud they're Jackrabbits. Maybe I'm wrong in my fanbase assessment - time will tell and we'll see what attendance looks like as the calendar flips. We still have Hobo Day and USD up-coming.

I also believe that this team has the potential to turn the corner and make a legitimate run at the championship. I still believe that we will right the ship, and I'll be in my seat each week cheering and supporting whether we win or lose. I just hope there are more than 10K other fans sitting around me helping cheer on our Jacks.

As a +1 to your Lujan comment: Think of his contributions and resiliency the last 3 seasons. Our consecutive years in the playoffs doesn't happen without him. He is voted a captain and then is beat out for the starting job. He proceeds to smile and get spot duty when Christion goes down for a few plays. That level of maturity, leadership and team-first attitude is exactly what we need on our team right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bits View Post
        I agree with everything you state except to the degree with which it pertains to casual fans, which is what my previous post was regarding. Total yardage in the Cal Poly game was 601-336, not in our favor. We were favored to win this game. We could argue the semantics of "laying an egg", but I think we agree more than we disagree in our thoughts on this game and our team. I think this loss and last years NDSU loss were huge missed opportunities, (big crowds), to convert casual fans into die-hard fans. No doubt, we have great student-athletes on our team, which by all accounts are great teammates, high character citizens, and I'm proud they're Jackrabbits. Maybe I'm wrong in my fanbase assessment - time will tell and we'll see what attendance looks like as the calendar flips. We still have Hobo Day and USD up-coming.

I also believe that this team has the potential to turn the corner and make a legitimate run at the championship. I still believe that we will right the ship, and I'll be in my seat each week cheering and supporting whether we win or lose. I just hope there are more than 10K other fans sitting around me helping cheer on our Jacks.

As a +1 to your Lujan comment: Think of his contributions and resiliency the last 3 seasons. Our consecutive years in the playoffs doesn't happen without him. He is voted a captain and then is beat out for the starting job. He proceeds to smile and get spot duty when Christion goes down for a few plays. That level of maturity, leadership and team-first attitude is exactly what we need on our team right now.
        Definitely think we agree on most things, and I'll be there with you cheering. I focused on the egg-laying aspect not to debate semantics but because it seemed relevant in that the Jacks are not getting blown out, or even shut out, during the losses. Should the team or fans be satisfied with the effort? Definitely not, but it seems like fans could possibly perceive Cal Poly as an anomaly given the Jacks' offensive prowess and the defense's "flashes." Conversely, if the Jacks were regularly losing by multiple scores, fans could quickly become apathetic, as some undoubtedly, and unfortunately, did after Cal Poly.

Lastly, I hope we never reach a point where we leave losses thinking "at least we didn't get blown out" or "at least it wasn't a shut out." I merely think we could be looking at a setback and/or "growing pains" for some defensive youth, so let's see how the Western game goes.

Comment

• Beef Bowl GDT vs. Cal Poly

Definitely think we agree on most things, and I'll be there with you cheering. I focused on the egg-laying aspect not to debate semantics but because it seemed relevant in that the Jacks are not getting blown out, or even shut out, during the losses. Should the team or fans be satisfied with the effort? Definitely not, but it seems like fans could possibly perceive Cal Poly as an anomaly given the Jacks' offensive prowess and the defense's "flashes." Conversely, if the Jacks were regularly losing by multiple scores, fans could quickly become apathetic, as some undoubtedly, and unfortunately, did after Cal Poly.

Lastly, I hope we never reach a point where we leave losses thinking "at least we didn't get blown out" or "at least it wasn't a shut out." I merely think we could be looking at a setback and/or "growing pains" for some defensive youth, so let's see how the Western game goes.
          Just curious as to what flashes you saw for the defense? If they were against drake then they were irrelevant IMHO, they almost lost to a DII team again this weekend. Outside of that they have forced a total of, two punts? In two games?
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Just curious as to what flashes you saw for the defense? If they were against drake then they were irrelevant IMHO, they almost lost to a DII team again this weekend. Outside of that they have forced a total of, two punts? In two games?
            Spot on. The Defense has shown us nothing to have any optimism about. The coaches have 2 weeks to get ready for WIU. If things are dramatically better it's going to be a long, long season. I have my thoughts about what's wrong but I'm much more curious to hear others opinions.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The interceptions against TCU impressed me, and I can appreciate your reasons for dismissing the Drake turnovers; however wouldn't that same rationale support being more impressed by multiple turnovers against a ranked FBS foe? Plus, you could argue that Dallas Brown should've had a PBU on TCU's fluke TD. I concede that's "coulda, woulda, shoulda," but it at least illustrates an example of our LBs having some coverage ability and that the Jacks coaches can develop and implement effective schemes.

Lest you all think I'm happy with the Jacks' situation, I am not; I think we have a few reasons to think they might rebound. Look what UNI did last year, and they were in direr straits than the Jacks are now (assuming the Jacks get back on track).

Comment

If you cannot handle the bad days and the bad seasons, you are not cut out to be a true sports fan. That type of person needs to quit going to games and start going to the opera where every performance ends according to the script.
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Spot on. The Defense has shown us nothing to have any optimism about. The coaches have 2 weeks to get ready for WIU. If things are dramatically better it's going to be a long, long season. I have my thoughts about what's wrong but I'm much more curious to hear others opinions.
                  Honestly: lack of talent. I don't think we're very big up front or very fast on the back end. What do I know, though.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

The interceptions against TCU impressed me, and I can appreciate your reasons for dismissing the Drake turnovers; however wouldn't that same rationale support being more impressed by multiple turnovers against a ranked FBS foe? Plus, you could argue that Dallas Brown should've had a PBU on TCU's fluke TD. I concede that's "coulda, woulda, shoulda," but it at least illustrates an example of our LBs having some coverage ability and that the Jacks coaches can develop and implement effective schemes.

Lest you all think I'm happy with the Jacks' situation, I am not; I think we have a few reasons to think they might rebound. Look what UNI did last year, and they were in direr straits than the Jacks are now (assuming the Jacks get back on track).
                    Secondary players have to bat the ball down,whenever possible,not up in the air,so that things like what happened at TCU with the fluke TD don't.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                      That Luke Bryan curse has a lot of potential to be a reality huh?
                      He will be in Detroit at Ford Field in Oct. Lions better win some before he shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                        Secondary players have to bat the ball down,whenever possible,not up in the air,so that things like what happened at TCU with the fluke TD don't.
                        Agreed, but again, the play could provide some optimism, as fans can believe that Brown and other defenders will bat passes down in future games and DC Brown will have schemes like those we saw during the TCU game. Having said that, there are times when D. Brown seems to play somewhat reckless, and I fear he'll draw a possible penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          Honestly: lack of talent. I don't think we're very big up front or very fast on the back end. What do I know, though.
                          The interior DL has been disappointing (someone else mentioned conditioning as a possible issue), but can you explain what's led you to conclude the DBs lack speed? The long gains at TCU seemed to stem largely from inability to shed blocks downfield, and the Cal Poly big plays seemed to be them being out of position/Cal Poly finding a defensive void, not necessarily DBs being burned outright by receivers and SBs.

You do not think youth, rather than lack of speed, has anything to do with it? The Jacks went through similar situations with Butler, Forsythe, Parnell, etc., and things turned out pretty good; I concede none of us want "pretty good," but excellence is a process. The Jacks also have several new coaches who are likely still finding their way in a new environment.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            I agree on the lack of talent/athleticism piece. However, I think our DL is an FCS sized line. Especially at the DT position where we rotate four guys through who are over or close to 300lbs a piece. I agree that conditioning might be a problem. Langer looks slow (quick wise) this year now that he is well over 300. Soulek is the one who has made any/all of the plays from that position so far.

I honestly expected better out of Jordan Brown this year. I thought he played well in spots last year. Right now I think it might be a confidence thing with him. Washington/Mosley just look a little bit overwhelmed out there right now. Maybe with more experience all three will improve. However, we knew this was probably a weak spot heading into the season and that they would take their lumps. What wasn't expected was the regression of the DL. Just my thoughts...
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

It hasn't been mentioned here, but it was interesting to see that they pulled the redshirt on Genant (RT) and Brown (WR).

Genant did okay and at least showed some athleticism where Carr just does not look like he has the ability to get out on the quick defensive ends in pass protection. It will be interesting to see how he run blocks. Out of our three OL recruits from last year, I thought he would need the most time to add weight/muscle and develop.

Brown was only in on a trick play and a few running plays. Others have mentioned that we don't pass when Jake is off the field. This appears to be the shift that Brown was a part of. It's interesting to me that we burned his redshirt with Anderson and Lewis as part of this class and Wieneke, Landberg, and Wilde already ahead of him. He must really be showing something in practice.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                                It hasn't been mentioned here, but it was interesting to see that they pulled the redshirt on Genant (RT) and Brown (WR).

Genant did okay and at least showed some athleticism where Carr just does not look like he has the ability to get out on the quick defensive ends in pass protection. It will be interesting to see how he run blocks. Out of our three OL recruits from last year, I thought he would need the most time to add weight/muscle and develop.

Brown was only in on a trick play and a few running plays. Others have mentioned that we don't pass when Jake is off the field. This appears to be the shift that Brown was a part of. It's interesting to me that we burned his redshirt with Anderson and Lewis as part of this class and Wieneke, Landberg, and Wilde already ahead of him. He must really be showing something in practice.
                                My first thought when I heard Brown's redshirt got pulled was similar - "we pulled a redshirt on a WR - why would we do that? Don't we have enough WRs on the roster?". But I'm guessing the same as you are - he must be showing some major upside in practice to justify it.

Comment

Working...
                                X