Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Beef Bowl GDT vs. Cal Poly

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    My first thought when I heard Brown's redshirt got pulled was similar - "we pulled a redshirt on a WR - why would we do that? Don't we have enough WRs on the roster?". But I'm guessing the same as you are - he must be showing some major upside in practice to justify it.
    Problem is, neither of these pulled red-shirts address our biggest problem...the defense.

Comment

This was my first home game in fifty years. Really enjoyed the atmosphere. Nothing like Western Illinois, or Missouri State where almost no students stayed after the first half.

As for the game, I sat behind another old timer, and comparisons to the Ralph Ginn days did come up. Total inability to adjust defensively. I remember some coach saying that if a team came out and ran the single wing it would look so weird to a modern defense that there'd be trouble dealing with it. That triple option was well known, however, and the Jacks with preparation should have been able to shut it down. All I could think was that it must look very different down on the field. I still think CPSLO is a mid pack Big Sky team, and this shouldn't have happened with adequate defensive coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
        My first thought when I heard Brown's redshirt got pulled was similar - "we pulled a redshirt on a WR - why would we do that? Don't we have enough WRs on the roster?". But I'm guessing the same as you are - he must be showing some major upside in practice to justify it.
        Wilde was suspended for the game against Poly so that may also have been why they pulled Brown's redshirt. I'm sure he also is improving in practice to justify it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
          This was my first home game in fifty years. Really enjoyed the atmosphere. Nothing like Western Illinois, or Missouri State where almost no students stayed after the first half.

As for the game, I sat behind another old timer, and comparisons to the Ralph Ginn days did come up. Total inability to adjust defensively. I remember some coach saying that if a team came out and ran the single wing it would look so weird to a modern defense that there'd be trouble dealing with it. That triple option was well known, however, and the Jacks with preparation should have been able to shut it down. All I could think was that it must look very different down on the field. I still think CPSLO is a mid pack Big Sky team, and this shouldn't have happened with adequate defensive coaching.
          Every year we get out coached two or three times. Normally it is in conference play and one game (1st or 2nd round) in the playoffs. Maybe we gave one away in non-conference this year and we won't see the in-conference, "we weren't prepared" game. One can only hope. Watching that game Saturday night was embarrassing. If that's our defense I expect WIU's big tailback to run for over 300.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post

This is what was most notable to me. The talent is there. It's the scheme and execution that failed. That's on the coaching staff and ultimately on the head coach. Coaches have 2 weeks to make it better. They picked the players, they design the defense, they are responsible.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Maybe they pulled WR Brown's redshirt because he's needed on special teams. Being slow on special teams can be a killer.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                This is what was most notable to me. The talent is there. It's the scheme and execution that failed. That's on the coaching staff and ultimately on the head coach. Coaches have 2 weeks to make it better. They picked the players, they design the defense, they are responsible.
                Yes, the majority of the defensive starters returned and most of the new starters got some experience last year.

Comment

The red shirt was pulled from Wilde last year for no reason as he played very few plays. This year the red shirt is pulled from Brown. Brown needs to play then and not just be in the three deep depth chart. Who makes these decisions? It seems like a huge mistake. The proof will be seen on the field otherwise a total bad decision by the head coach.

Comment

Hey, at least there hasn't been any sign of the Flash this year! Or maybe those two flubbed up "trick" plays were the replacements.

Comment

Don't know why I read these GDT after a loss...no matter the circumstances, no matter who we play...the moaning and groaning is rampant. Can't say I don't agree with everybody's "downer" mode after the Cal Poly game. but here are a few "facts" IMO that exist:

1) Attendance, especially at the opener. Even Zimmer jumped on with the "disappointing" crowd at the opener against mighty Drake. Others mourn that nobody else will come now after this loss. For the record: Opening games at home for the last 4 years averaged 11,700 against pretty good teams (Butler was more "Drake" like, and drew 9,700. The Jacks had 15,171 for Drake. I personally think that is awesome. Personally, I think we will draw some really good crowds for a number of the remaining games (obviously, continuous losses would impact that significantly...but let's wait and see.)
                      2) We lost the Cal Poly game in the first half. With the only time a team plays against the triple option, the biggest factor IMO is that you need to stay ahead. We had our chances in the first half and got behind, and it was tough to play catch-up.
                      3) Using a scout team (of 2nd and 3rd level players) to emulate the triple offense, without any real background knowledge on "how" to emulate it) is the best a team can do. But it 'taint easy to get a team ready.
                      4) I could certainly be wrong, but I think Cal Poly is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the Big Sky and might well win it.
                      Finally...we certainly need some proof from this team that they can rise to the occasion. Western Illinois certainly won't be a push-over...in fact they are looking very good. We should know more about what kind of a team we have after that game. Obviously, losing to them at home would be a real body blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        Don't know why I read these GDT after a loss...no matter the circumstances, no matter who we play...the moaning and groaning is rampant. Can't say I don't agree with everybody's "downer" mode after the Cal Poly game. but here are a few "facts" IMO that exist:

1) Attendance, especially at the opener. Even Zimmer jumped on with the "disappointing" crowd at the opener against mighty Drake. Others mourn that nobody else will come now after this loss. For the record: Opening games at home for the last 4 years averaged 11,700 against pretty good teams (Butler was more "Drake" like, and drew 9,700. The Jacks had 15,171 for Drake. I personally think that is awesome. Personally, I think we will draw some really good crowds for a number of the remaining games (obviously, continuous losses would impact that significantly...but let's wait and see.)
                        2) We lost the Cal Poly game in the first half. With the only time a team plays against the triple option, the biggest factor IMO is that you need to stay ahead. We had our chances in the first half and got behind, and it was tough to play catch-up.
                        3) Using a scout team (of 2nd and 3rd level players) to emulate the triple offense, without any real background knowledge on "how" to emulate it) is the best a team can do. But it 'taint easy to get a team ready.
                        4) I could certainly be wrong, but I think Cal Poly is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the Big Sky and might well win it.
                        Finally...we certainly need some proof from this team that they can rise to the occasion. Western Illinois certainly won't be a push-over...in fact they are looking very good. We should know more about what kind of a team we have after that game. Obviously, losing to them at home would be a real body blow.
                        A mouthful here. I mentioned butt hurt in a early post. Our crowds have been very good. I don't know how they compare to the Staff budget, but are very close.

Comment

We should know more after Montana's visit to the SLO this Saturday. It will be interesting to see how the Griz handle the triple option, especially since they see it every year.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Also, it was noted that the disappointing size of Cal Poly crowd was like the second largest crowd to date for the Jackrabbits. Zimmer would have been reporting that the stadium was built too small if there were over 18,000 attending. If we have good weather on October 1, I would expect another larger than normal crowd and those people would all have a comfortable seat with a good line of sight. Creating that game day experience is also part of the new stadium in addition to a recruiting tool.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

• Beef Bowl GDT vs. Cal Poly

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                              Also, it was noted that the disappointing size of Cal Poly crowd was like the second largest crowd to date for the Jackrabbits. Zimmer would have been reporting that the stadium was built too small if there were over 18,000 attending. If we have good weather on October 1, I would expect another larger than normal crowd and those people would all have a comfortable seat with a good line of sight. Creating that game day experience is also part of the new stadium in addition to a recruiting tool.
                              I don't recall anyone saying the crowd for Cal Poly was disappointing? Did I miss it?
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Matt Zimmer said it in his story on the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X