Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal Poly

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Yet you seem bound and determined to make sure there's no way students even get the opportunity to make that decision. Students are as you said fully aware that it's illegal and aware of the consequences, but they do it to have a good time, just like you did. If they are able to do this without causing a public nuisance, why should we take that away from them? You did it, so why can't they?
    My situation was different. There was no tailgating at all when I was in school. My instances were at house parties or in my dorm, not directly under the noses of UPD and the administration at an on-campus, SDSU sanctioned event.

Students are as you said fully aware that it's illegal and aware of the consequences
    If they are able to do this without causing a public nuisance, why should we take that away from them?
    So you declare students are aware of the consequences...........you just don't want them enforced.

Comment

Yet you seem bound and determined to make sure there's no way students even get the opportunity to make that decision. Students are as you said fully aware that it's illegal and aware of the consequences, but they do it to have a good time, just like you did. If they are able to do this without causing a public nuisance, why should we take that away from them? You did it, so why can't they?
      No one's taking away their opportunity to make that decision. Heck, I'd argue it's easier for them to make that decision now than it was back in the day -- when there was no tailgating, no designated areas where alcohol consumption was allowed. Students have plenty of opportunity to decide to sneak booze into their dorm room, find an off-campus party, or hang out at an on-campus tailgate and be smart about concealing their beverage and managing their drunkenness.
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        It says I need to spread my reputation points, so I can only agree with what you have said. The last comment about a checkpoint is music to my ears, since I only have my personal safety to worry about. I certainly can not dictate how someone lives their life, as I was reminded by Thumper 76. I just think that if SDSU adds any more beer to their concession stands they are asking for trouble. With 5 hours of tailgating and 4 hours of beer consumption during the game, none of these people should never get behind the wheel to drive home.
        This whole discussion has been the absolute worst. Beer will be sold and money will be made just like at the majority of all other big time events. If someone is worried about their safety I would advise them to stay away from any big time concerts or professional sporting events. Stick to high school/pee-wee/little league.

I feel embarrassed to have even responded to this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothjack View Post
          This whole discussion has been the absolute worst. Beer will be sold and money will be made just like at the majority of all other big time events. If someone is worried about their safety I would advise them to stay away from any big time concerts or professional sporting events. Stick to high school/pee-wee/little league.

I feel embarrassed to have even responded to this thread.
          Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            It says I need to spread my reputation points, so I can only agree with what you have said. The last comment about a checkpoint is music to my ears, since I only have my personal safety to worry about. I certainly can not dictate how someone lives their life, as I was reminded by Thumper 76. I just think that if SDSU adds any more beer to their concession stands they are asking for trouble. With 5 hours of tailgating and 4 hours of beer consumption during the game, none of these people should never get behind the wheel to drive home.
            Maybe they are being responsible and have a DD. You have no idea how they are getting home, you are just basing it off the fact that they had a few beers at the game.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
              Maybe they are being responsible and have a DD. You have no idea how they are getting home, you are just basing it off the fact that they had a few beers at the game.
              A few? How many? The legal limit is .08 per cent. Good for those who have a DD.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                While you are correct, he didn't actually say any were driving. He said they shouldn't be driving.

Does anyone actually want to disagree with the following statement: people who are over the legal limit should not be driving?

Driving under the influence of alcohol often has life changing (or life ending) consequences for innocent victims.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

It is possible to causally drink for 9 hours and not be over the legal limit. Of all those people that get up and come back with 2 beers you don't know that they are both for them. A lot of people get multiple so only one person gets up. And for tailgating, you are all assuming that the problem is underage drinking. Is it not possible for people that are over 21 to dumb things when drinking. Why is everyone assuming that if you get all of the underage kids out of tailgating that will solve the problem. I have been at tailgating for both games now and have seen way more students standing around with wristbands than without. I would bet that at hobo day, the incident that caused all of this, 75% to 80% of the people involved we of legal drinking age. Also i did notice the UPD "hunting" for under-ages because a girl got one right in front of the tent i was standing in. It wouldn't have seemed that way but she already had a wristband on and the checked her ID anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                    My situation was different. There was no tailgating at all when I was in school. My instances were at house parties or in my dorm, not directly under the noses of UPD and the administration at an on-campus, SDSU sanctioned event.

So you declare students are aware of the consequences...........you just don't want them enforced.
                    Wait, what? Underage drinking at tailgating is directly under the noses of UPD and Administration, but you drinking as an underage student in your dorm room back in the day wasn't?
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

• Re: Cal Poly

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                      Wait, what? Underage drinking at tailgating is directly under the noses of UPD and Administration, but you drinking as an underage student in your dorm room back in the day wasn't?
                      Correct. I never had the UPD/administration witness my actions, so I did not have the opportunity to tell/ask them to look the other way and let me break the law.

I'm going to bow out of this thread, as I've made my position clear. I don't have a real dog in this fight. I don't have season tickets anymore and I don't have any kids in school. I'm simply advocating for what I think is in SDSU's best interests.

I commend Cappn', Thumper and others for having the strong desire to grow SDSU and its fanbase. We just disagree on how to accomplish that.

NoBama Out.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                        Why is everyone assuming that if you get all of the underage kids out of tailgating that will solve the problem.
                        I don't think anyone's assuming that -- at least, I'm certainly not. My point of contention is with the idea that to build the fan base, the University should simply ignore the law and look the other way when it comes to underage drinking -- maybe even go so far as to encourage underage drinking by creating a student tailgate area where minors can drink, you know, sort of a campus safe space for underage drinkers.
                        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                          Correct. I never had the UPD/administration witness my actions, so I did not have the opportunity to tell/ask them to look the other way and let me break the law.

I'm going to bow out of this thread, as I've made my position clear. I don't have a real dog in this fight. I don't have season tickets anymore and I don't have any kids in school. I'm simply advocating for what I think is in SDSU's best interests.

I commend Cappn', Thumper and others for having the strong desire to grow SDSU and its fanbase. We just disagree on how to accomplish that.

NoBama Out.
                          Just playing devils advocate here...underage drinking/breaking the law is OK if you do it where nobody in authority can see you do it, even if it is in property that said authority owns and operates and is in direct conflict with their institutional policies (no alcohol whatsoever allowed on property) and state/national law. Underage drinking/breaking the law is NOT OK if you do it in a public place where alcohol is allowed to those over the legal drinking age. OK.
                          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Just playing devils advocate here...underage drinking/breaking the law is OK if you do it where nobody in authority can see you do it, even if it is in property that said authority owns and operates and is in direct conflict with their institutional policies (no alcohol whatsoever allowed on property) and state/national law. Underage drinking/breaking the law is NOT OK if you do it in a public place where alcohol is allowed to those over the legal drinking age. OK.
                            I recall going to Old State Field as a junior high student in the mid 1950's and sitting in North stands with students nearby. After a while they broke out a half pint and had a huge gulp and quietly put it away. Under aged drinkers no doubt. Most of guys have passed and they probably did not wear out their livers. My point is that underage drinking has been going on for a long time and will continue into the future.

Comment

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a sound?

I don't believe TK was saying his behavior was OK (lawful might be a better word). If he had been caught, there would have been consequences (as there are today). I'm fairly certain he didn't parade around campus with a case of beer (or fireball if you prefer), then act outraged/perplexed/oppressed when his unlawful behavior led to completely foreseeable consequences.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                                It is possible to causally drink for 9 hours and not be over the legal limit. Of all those people that get up and come back with 2 beers you don't know that they are both for them. A lot of people get multiple so only one person gets up. And for tailgating, you are all assuming that the problem is underage drinking. Is it not possible for people that are over 21 to dumb things when drinking. Why is everyone assuming that if you get all of the underage kids out of tailgating that will solve the problem. I have been at tailgating for both games now and have seen way more students standing around with wristbands than without. I would bet that at hobo day, the incident that caused all of this, 75% to 80% of the people involved we of legal drinking age. Also i did notice the UPD "hunting" for under-ages because a girl got one right in front of the tent i was standing in. It wouldn't have seemed that way but she already had a wristband on and the checked her ID anyway.
                                Wrong. See this link even if you are same body weight as yours truly 240 plus, 10 drinks in that 9 hour range would give you a .16% reading double the legal limit.

https://www.google.com/search?q=alco...VWszeydO1iM%3A

Comment

Working...
                                X