Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal Poly

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    There's a difference between encouraging and going overboard. I have no idea if they are checking IDs of every student or just the ones with alcohol. If it's the ones with alcohol, then I'm for it. If it's every student who walks through hunting to give out underage tickets, that's a joke. When I was going to the student section in CAS you could get drunk off the fumes of the students. Do you go through and ID all of them? Is that encouraging underage consumption? To me the student tailgate should be treated as an extension of the student section, only policing it when necessary. Students drink underage. Strict enforcement and attempts to hunt down underage students isn't going to stop it, it's going to make them do it in other locations that realistically would be more dangerous than a supervised student tailgate. Honestly underage drinking is a large part of the college student culture, and if you try to force it out of the Gameday don't be surprised when the students don't go to their tailgate area and leave games early. You can embrace the students or try to force them to be extremely well behaved church kids. Guess which one grows the fanbase and makes the Gameday atmosphere better?

I'm not saying let the students be out of control, I understand how awful the events were last year. But if they're off in their own space let students be students. Check people who are out of line, don't let underage kids be wheeling in kegs and coolers of beer, but don't be on a witch hunt for them either. You know there's a lot of underagers sneaking in flasks and booze into the student section, but we don't send UPD through the student section looking for it.
    When the Grateful Dead asked the Hell's Angels to provide security, they shouldn't have been surprised when they acted like a biker gang.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Here is the reality, students are going to drink underage which is illegal. You can either have the students drinking casually/socially on campus at tailgating where they are monitored for extreme behavior or you can send them back to house parties where they are beer bonging, shot gunning and taking shots. I know which setting I would prefer they drink at. Some of you probably disagree.

This past weekend UPD walked into AGR's spot and was very polite and asked the student to put his handle of Fireball away. The student put it in the back seat of the vehicle and UPD moved on, no problem. UPD came back through about an hour later and the student had the bottle of fireball out again. UPD began to write him a citation and the student got mouthy, was handcuffed and walked over to their new building. I think this was 100% the right way to handle it. They gave him a warning and he didn't follow it. They gave him a free pass and he couldn't follow it.

Also, I'd like to add that the AGR spot is a perfect example of what all of student tailgating could and should be in the backyard. They consistently have 75-100 other students at their spot. They have their music cranked, play drinking games, have their grill cooking hotdogs and burgers, and rarely cause problems. I asked their leadership last year to clean up their spot after the first game and haven't had a problem since then. This is the model we should follow instead of sticking them in a spot on the other side of the stadium.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        Here is the reality, students are going to drink underage which is illegal. You can either have the students drinking casually/socially on campus at tailgating where they are monitored for extreme behavior or you can send them back to house parties where they are beer bonging, shot gunning and taking shots. I know which setting I would prefer they drink at. Some of you probably disagree.

This past weekend UPD walked into AGR's spot and was very polite and asked the student to put his handle of Fireball away. The student put it in the back seat of the vehicle and UPD moved on, no problem. UPD came back through about an hour later and the student had the bottle of fireball out again. UPD began to write him a citation and the student got mouthy, was handcuffed and walked over to their new building. I think this was 100% the right way to handle it. They gave him a warning and he didn't follow it. They gave him a free pass and he couldn't follow it.

Also, I'd like to add that the AGR spot is a perfect example of what all of student tailgating could and should be in the backyard. They consistently have 75-100 other students at their spot. They have their music cranked, play drinking games, have their grill cooking hotdogs and burgers, and rarely cause problems. I asked their leadership last year to clean up their spot after the first game and haven't had a problem since then. This is the model we should follow instead of sticking them in a spot on the other side of the stadium.
        What is fireball?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          What is fireball?
          Cinnamon flavored whisky. It is hot tasting.

Comment

Cinnamon flavored whisky. It is hot tasting.
            Thank you. Not exactly 3.2 beer. I think UPD acted appropiately.

Comment

I'm with you WestSide. The men of SAE act similarly. Part of the reason I tailgate is to spend time with and spend money and attention on a whole bunch of really great kids who are students at a really good University I went to a few years ago. I'm not for this model of segregation which the Dept has adopted and hope it goes away soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Thank you. Not exactly 3.2 beer. I think UPD acted appropiately.
                I dont think drinking fireball was what he did wrong. I dont think the bottle is suppose to be out in the open. I cant have my bottle of crown sitting on a table either. I dont tailgate much but i thought that was one of the rules. And when did 3.2 beer come back?

Comment

Drinking age is 21, thats it, without exception. That has to be enforced, especially on a state funded university campus. Stop with the crazy talk about allowing underage drinkers to get inebriated on the campus of our state university. It's ridiculous to suggest.

I'm well aware that underage drinking is accepted as the norm at most every college in the US and in most communities for that matter. That being said, condoning it by providing a "safe place" on campus is ludicrous. It's as weak and ignorant a suggestion as saying parent's that host underage drinking parties are providing a safe haven for those underage drinkers.

I can't believe this discussion continues.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                    I dont think drinking fireball was what he did wrong. I dont think the bottle is suppose to be out in the open. I cant have my bottle of crown sitting on a table either. I dont tailgate much but i thought that was one of the rules. And when did 3.2 beer come back?
                    Never left Minnesota. I'm pretty certain the beer served at the Gopher games is 3.2
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Drinking age is 21, thats it, without exception. That has to be enforced, especially on a state funded university campus. Stop with the crazy talk about allowing underage drinkers to get inebriated on the campus of our state university. It's ridiculous to suggest.

I'm well aware that underage drinking is accepted as the norm at most every college in the US and in most communities for that matter. That being said, condoning it by providing a "safe place" on campus is ludicrous. It's as weak and ignorant a suggestion as saying parent's that host underage drinking parties are providing a safe haven for those underage drinkers.

I am usually with you, but this just isn't reality. Athletics and the university can have all the rules they like. SDSU will never ever ever ever be a TRUE dry campus. How they enforce those rules is another thing. Should they be actively going from spot to spot carding students? I personally don't think so. My post about the model that works with AGR and SAE are the best examples.

Comment

That's a perfectly handled situation. Well done UPD. And I don't say that very often
                        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I don't think that was what was stated at all. Nobody is for allowing blatant underage drinking at the student tailgate. I think everyone is more saying that there shouldn't be a hunt to find and weed out underage drinkers at the student tailgate. I don't know of many people who enjoy tailgating with UPD on the prowl actively hunting for every infraction. Do you think that every vehicle leaving the parking lot by the backyard should be breathalyzed? I would bet good money there would be a decent amount of people who could be close to the limit after a full day of tailgating. If they handle it just like WestSide described I think that's the perfect way to do it. If you want to say that's condoning underage drinking then I guess we will just have to disagree.
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            Nobody is for allowing blatant underage drinking at the student tailgate. I think everyone is more saying that there shouldn't be a hunt to find and weed out underage drinkers at the student tailgate.
                            Huh?

Comment

Actually...there are exceptions.

35-9-1. Furnishing alcoholic beverage to child prohibited--Exceptions--Violation as misdemeanor--Civil liability. It is a Class 1 misdemeanor to sell or give for use as a beverage any alcoholic beverage to any person under the age of eighteen years unless:

(1) It is done in the immediate presence of a parent or guardian or spouse, who is at least twenty-one years of age, while not on the premises of an establishment licensed for the retail sale of alcoholic beverages pursuant to § 35-4-2 or at a special event for which an alcoholic beverage license has been issued; or

(2) It is done by prescription or direction of a duly licensed practitioner or nurse of the healing arts for medicinal purposes.

However, no licensee is civilly liable to any injured person or the injured person's estate for any injury suffered, including any action for wrongful death, or property damage suffered because of the sale or consumption of any alcoholic beverage in violation of the provisions of this section.

Comment

Couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo.

Comment

Working...
                                X