Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal Poly

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    I don't think that was what was stated at all. Nobody is for allowing blatant underage drinking at the student tailgate. I think everyone is more saying that there shouldn't be a hunt to find and weed out underage drinkers at the student tailgate. I don't know of many people who enjoy tailgating with UPD on the prowl actively hunting for every infraction. Do you think that every vehicle leaving the parking lot by the backyard should be breathalyzed? I would bet good money there would be a decent amount of people who could be close to the limit after a full day of tailgating. If they handle it just like WestSide described I think that's the perfect way to do it. If you want to say that's condoning underage drinking then I guess we will just have to disagree.
    Thanks you are making my point for breathalyers. A bunch would fail since .08 is the legal level. The fact that I choose not to drink does not matter here. The human body is slow in ridding itself of alcohol. So many of those $8.00 beers during the game push one over the limit.

Comment

What you guys don't seem to want to come to grips with are the simple concepts that

1. not every student acts as you suggest they do
      2. not every student drinks too much
      3. No one under 21 or over 21 wants to be babysat by UPD
      4. Lowest common denominator on the fun scale isn't workable for most of us.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
        I don't think that was what was stated at all. Nobody is for allowing blatant underage drinking at the student tailgate.
        Pretty sure it was you who suggested an outside security company be brought in for the student tailgate to basically look the other way -- until someone gets out of hand, then hand it back over to UPD. If you bring in an outside security company with the idea they're to look the other way, at least until there's trouble, it sure sounds to me like you're advocating blatant underage drinking.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
          Pretty sure it was you who suggested an outside security company be brought in for the student tailgate to basically look the other way -- until someone gets out of hand, then hand it back over to UPD. If you bring in an outside security company with the idea they're to look the other way, at least until there's trouble, it sure sounds to me like you're advocating blatant underage drinking.
          Nope, wasn't me. 100% sure. And I'm guessing we might have different definitions of blatant underage drinking.
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

When I was in school from 2008-2012, I drank at every single game/tailgate and snuck alcohol into every single game. I was underage for three of those years. No one ever carded me. No one ever bothered me. The stupidest thing I ever did while drunk at a game was ask my (now) wife if she wanted to make things official, in which she replied that maybe drunk in the student section wasn't the best time to have that conversation. It's not that ****ing hard to just leave people like me alone. You don't need to card every person that looks young. Just get rid of the people that are acting like idiots.

When I was underage and drinking at tailgates, the UPD would walk through and talk to all the students. Not one ever asked for ID unless you were being an idiot. I'm all for keeping students out of the Backyard and away from people's paid for tailgates and property. I just don't understand why every single person has to be wrist banded. Apparently some of you never drank underage in college, or you're so far removed from it that you feel perfectly fine that the current generation of students gets ****ed over.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
              Actually...there are exceptions.

35-9-1. Furnishing alcoholic beverage to child prohibited--Exceptions--Violation as misdemeanor--Civil liability. It is a Class 1 misdemeanor to sell or give for use as a beverage any alcoholic beverage to any person under the age of eighteen years unless:

(1) It is done in the immediate presence of a parent or guardian or spouse, who is at least twenty-one years of age, while not on the premises of an establishment licensed for the retail sale of alcoholic beverages pursuant to § 35-4-2 or at a special event for which an alcoholic beverage license has been issued; or

(2) It is done by prescription or direction of a duly licensed practitioner or nurse of the healing arts for medicinal purposes.

However, no licensee is civilly liable to any injured person or the injured person's estate for any injury suffered, including any action for wrongful death, or property damage suffered because of the sale or consumption of any alcoholic beverage in violation of the provisions of this section.
              The answer then is obvious: The SDSU Nursing College sponsors the student tailgating area, where RN's, LPN's, and other licensed nurses from the College from the college dispense "medicinal doses" of Jager shots and Hot Shots to underaged students.

It's for their health, you see.

(Do I REALLY need a smiley here?)

(Yes, the discussion has gotten this ridiculous.)
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

So let me get this straight. Underage drinking is supposed to be OK as long as you are under control because you are tailgating on-campus? Underage drinking on campus is now a right for every student?

Someone has yet to successfully explain to me how carding folks on-campus during tailgating is any different than Brookings PD carding folks at a front lawn kegger near campus. They are enforcing the law....and that's a bad thing?

Frankly, I'm dumbfounded, disturbed and deeply saddened by the attitudes of some posters who are doing nothing short of condoning illegal underage consumption by our students, especially since one of our well-known posters is an admitted recovering alcoholic. I'm sure that poster could share many personal stories as to why SDSU should discourage underage consumption at every turn..........but most of you don't want to hear that because it "ruins your fun".

When some of you get older you are going to realize how incredibly dumb this entire debate is. As much as many of you want to make it a gray issue, it really is black and white.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                  That was a different poster that suggested bringing in outside security. Thumper is suggesting the UPD just look the other way. lol

Comment

Boy you can tell the age divide of posters.

Comment

And yet, you'll have posters complain about our atmosphere being on par with NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                        So let me get this straight. Underage drinking is supposed to be OK as long as you are under control because you are tailgating on-campus? Underage drinking on campus is now a right for every student?

Someone has yet to successfully explain to me how carding folks on-campus during tailgating is any different than Brookings PD carding folks at a front lawn kegger near campus. They are enforcing the law....and that's a bad thing?

Frankly, I'm dumbfounded, disturbed and deeply saddened by the attitudes of some posters who are doing nothing short of condoning illegal underage consumption by our students, especially since one of our well-known posters is an admitted recovering alcoholic. I'm sure that poster could share many personal stories as to why SDSU should discourage underage consumption at every turn..........but most of you don't want to hear that because it "ruins your fun".

When some of you get older you are going to realize how incredibly dumb this entire debate is. As much as many of you want to make it a gray issue, it really is black and white.
                        Yeah, you're right. One poster had issues with alcohol. Let's ban alcohol at all tailgating festivities and any other events with SDSU involved. Let's go full BYU or Liberty with this.

Here's the thing. You can not like this, but it's too bad. College students will drink underage whether you like it or not. They will go and congregate where they can do it. They will do it most everywhere they do congregate. If you crack down hard on it they will move to somewhere where they can. I highly doubt it helps student attendance to have a empty student tailgating lot. Don't complain about students going to the Backyard or just not showing up to games if you want to have the all or nothing attitude. I'm telling you what needs to happen if you want student involvement to grow. If you don't want that, the go hardcore and catch to evil underagers. Catch all of them. It doesn't effect me other than I would greatly enjoy a raucous student section and for students to have great memories of the games to make them want to come after they graduate. But if that's the attitude people want to take on the situation instead of looking at reality, then go for it. Not a student anymore and certainly don't need to worry about being carded. If you feel it's so egregious that someone old enough to be drafted into our military drinks alcohol, then it is what it is. I'm dealing with reality, and if you want students to stick around for the weekend to go to the game, you're not going to be able to live in your black and white fantasy land.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

Frankly, I'm dumbfounded, disturbed and deeply saddened by the attitudes of some posters who are doing nothing short of condoning illegal underage consumption by our students, especially since one of our well-known posters is an admitted recovering alcoholic. I'm sure that poster could share many personal stories as to why SDSU should discourage underage consumption at every turn..........but most of you don't want to hear that because it l"ruins your fun".

As an admitted recovering alcoholic, I am concerned about my personal safety going home from games. Selling those eight dollar beers gives me some concern. I notice a few people came in from tailgating with a buzz and first thing they do at the game is grab an $8.00 beer. I did not keep track, but a few made several trips to the concession stand. It really none of business unless some of these guy do not use designated drivers but instead decide drive home.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            As an admitted recovering alcoholic, I am concerned about my personal safety going home from games. Selling those eight dollar beers gives me some concern. I notice a few people came in from tailgating with a buzz and first thing they do at the game is grab an $8.00 beer. I did not keep track, but a few made several trips to the concession stand. It really none of business unless some of these guy do not use designated drivers but instead decide drive home.
                            They must sell beer in the fancy parts of the stadium. And here I thought it was only for the Luke Bryan concert.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Can anyone tell me...did the UPD card just the students without wrist bands or everybody? I'm sensing an overreaction.....

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                                They must sell beer in the fancy parts of the stadium. And here I thought it was only for the Luke Bryan concert.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                                Quit acting stupid, you know darn well that the club level concession stand sells 8 dollar beer and its a very permanent thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X