Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tailgating

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
    I think the really interesting thing about the article was how they handle student tailgating. Seemed like all the student groups were heavily involved from frats all the way up. Sounded like they do a good job of having a party/rock concert feel to it with bands and the big screen set up with other games on it. Also noticed that they had something of a tradition with the students all marching from the tailgate area into the stadium. That feels like it could tie in pretty well with what the students started doing last year.

One thing that I think could possibly be hurting the success of the student tailgate is alcohol and rule issues. I know it's a tough issue especially with students, but if you strictly enforce no alcohol and have UPD prowling that area to give underage tickets, I could see that as a large reason the students go to other areas and cause problems. I have no idea what the policies are or were for the student tailgate area, but honestly the best way to keep the rest of the tailgating fun without draconian rules to keep students in check is to try to contain them in their own lot (which seems to be a pretty popular opinion). You aren't going to keep them in that lot if you have a zero tolerance policy over there. Students are going to drink. That's the way it is. I'm not saying allow beer bongs and stuff at the student area, but I feel if they approached it with more if the intent to just make sure nobody is out of control it would make a massive difference. Have the wristbands over there, maybe set up some beer pong with water in the cups. He'll have a tournament for it. Have a big DJ set up with LOUD music. The students are going to go where they think the most fun party is. If the student lot has too much of a structured, rigid, university sponsored feel while the regular lots are more where the party is at, that's where they are going to go. Honestly you most likely have to let the student area be crazier than the regular lots. Because that's what college kids do. Don't let it get dangerous, but you can't have strict rules and oversight and expect college kids who have been drinking since 9-10 to go there to party before the game. And let's be honest, that's what they're going to the tailgate for. To party. The biggest issue I see is high school kids trying to sneak in, which is fairly easy to solve. If the kid looks too young, show a drivers license or ID. Under 18 and no student ID, not allowed in.
    Fair enough, but 99% of the students are 18 and over. That means you are an adult. Regardless of how many rules admin puts in place, at some point personal responsibility kicks in. Just because you are a student who chooses to tailgate and heavily imbibe, it does not give you the right to act like a total a$$hat and turn the tailgate into a non-safe, non-family friendly event for the rest of us. That also means that students need to police other students....keep your buddies in check and out of trouble. It's really not that hard, nor that complicated.

Students not happy with the new rules? Tough. They have no one to blame but themselves.

And before the "this affects more than just students" crowd gets all riled up, I'm more than confident that you will all be pleasantly surprised how well things will work out in a few weeks. Hopefully some of that initial overreaction has worn off for some of you. Keep Calm and Tailgate On.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
      Fair enough, but 99% of the students are 18 and over. That means you are an adult. Regardless of how many rules admin puts in place, at some point personal responsibility kicks in. Just because you are a student who chooses to tailgate and heavily imbibe, it does not give you the right to act like a total a$$hat and turn the tailgate into a non-safe, non-family friendly event for the rest of us. That also means that students need to police other students....keep your buddies in check and out of trouble. It's really not that hard, nor that complicated.

Students not happy with the new rules? Tough. They have no one to blame but themselves.

And before the "this affects more than just students" crowd gets all riled up, I'm more than confident that you will all be pleasantly surprised how well things will work out in a few weeks. Hopefully some of that initial overreaction has worn off for some of you. Keep Calm and Tailgate On.
      The issue isn't students being not happy with the new rules. It's the people who pay for the lots getting new rules forced on them. Yes, students are adults. However, stating that firmly and shanking a fist about it isn't a real great solution. I don't care if students like the new rules either. But I do care when more rules and restrictions are forced upon the people who pay for the lots and are having a good time, and I especially hate more rules being added that seem to have a possibility of declining the fun of tailgating. Tailgating is a really big tool to build the fanbase.

Other teams seem to have less restrictions on their tailgating and don't have these issues. Does that mean we have bad students compared to the other schools and we're an anomaly? I kinda doubt that. I was just throwing out a possible alternative solution and way to look at it instead of more rules and restrictions that make life more difficult for the majority. And I have a hard time believing UPD won't be on the warpath after last season. If the added regulations and rules hurt people's tailgating experience that will be a MASSIVE failure to have the first season of the DJD and could have long lasting effects. That's what I'm more worried about. I really hope it isn't half of what the initial reaction has made it out to be. Time will tell.
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
        The issue isn't students being not happy with the new rules. It's the people who pay for the lots getting new rules forced on them. Yes, students are adults. However, stating that firmly and shanking a fist about it isn't a real great solution. I don't care if students like the new rules either. But I do care when more rules and restrictions are forced upon the people who pay for the lots and are having a good time, and I especially hate more rules being added that seem to have a possibility of declining the fun of tailgating. Tailgating is a really big tool to build the fanbase.

Other teams seem to have less restrictions on their tailgating and don't have these issues. Does that mean we have bad students compared to the other schools and we're an anomaly? I kinda doubt that. I was just throwing out a possible alternative solution and way to look at it instead of more rules and restrictions that make life more difficult for the majority. And I have a hard time believing UPD won't be on the warpath after last season. If the added regulations and rules hurt people's tailgating experience that will be a MASSIVE failure to have the first season of the DJD and could have long lasting effects. That's what I'm more worried about. I really hope it isn't half of what the initial reaction has made it out to be. Time will tell.
        I don't share your pessimistic view. Many folks I've talked to are understanding of the new rules, see them as necessary, and think they will help add greatly to protecting the "fun" of the tailgate experience, especially those with reserved spots.

Comment

I don't share your pessimistic view. Many folks I've talked to are understanding of the new rules, see them as necessary, and think they will help add greatly to protecting the "fun" of the tailgate experience, especially those with reserved spots.
          I call BS. I'd like a source. No one I've spoke to has said this is fantastic! Why didn't I think of only parking one car in the lot so I can haul my **** for 2 blocks! Perfect! Oh and I get to pay you for the opportunity? **** me it's Christmas!
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            Why didn't I think of only parking one car in the lot so I can haul my **** for 2 blocks! Perfect! Oh and I get to pay you for the opportunity? **** me it's Christmas!
            quite possibly the greatest post ever...

Comment

I call BS. I'd like a source. No one I've spoke to has said this is fantastic! Why didn't I think of only parking one car in the lot so I can haul my **** for 2 blocks! Perfect! Oh and I get to pay you for the opportunity? **** me it's Christmas!
              WEll with all the cars in the tailgating spots, where are all the students suppose stand? they need more room to hang out in other peoples spots.

I assume most of the groups tailgating will settle this the only fair way who gets to park in the lot.....rock paper scissors. Best 3 out of 5
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Fantastic? No one thinks it is "fantastic". Like I said, they were understanding and saw them as necessary based on the incidents they encountered last year. The list of incidents is rather lengthy, and I'd be happy to PM them to you if you'd like me to discuss them in detail. To be frank, if what happened to them happened to me, I would not have reserved a spot this year no matter what rules changes were made. I would never take the chance of subjecting my kids to that again.

Comment

Fantastic? No one thinks it is "fantastic". Like I said, they were understanding and saw them as necessary based on the incidents they encountered last year. The list of incidents is rather lengthy, and I'd be happy to PM them to you if you'd like me to discuss them in detail. To be frank, if what happened to them happened to me, I would not have reserved a spot this year no matter what rules changes were made. I would never take the chance of subjecting my kids to that again.
                  I don't care about the general rules, how does parking one car in the lot solve anything? How did parking multiple cars in the lot cause all sorts of issues? Just last year mind you. I don't care about moving the college kids or the anything like that(good luck with that by the way). I'm talking about the actual parking. If everything was such a problem, I sure feel better with my car in view than in a lot a block away. That's my question, if you have an answer let everyone hear it. So far no one has been able to proffer an explanation I accept about that.

Comment

I don't care about the general rules, how does parking one car in the lot solve anything? How did parking multiple cars in the lot cause all sorts of issues? Just last year mind you. I don't care about moving the college kids or the anything like that(good luck with that by the way). I'm talking about the actual parking. If everything was such a problem, I sure feel better with my car in view than in a lot a block away. That's my question, if you have an answer let everyone hear it. So far no one has been able to proffer an explanation I accept about that.
                    If tailgating makes you this upset I'd maybe consider quitting.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      Tailgating doesn't make him upset. Stupid rules changes about tailgating does.

Comment

• Tailgating

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        That's a pretty ridiculous statement. Personally I don't have a tailgate lot now due to where I am in my career, but I plan on it in the future. And growing up a Packers fan and being lucky enough to attend several games growing up, tailgating is almost as big of a part of the experience as the game. I know guys who go to Lambeau every home game whether they could get tickets or not. Attitudes like this don't grow the fanbase, which we need. It baffles me that one of our fans would tell another they should stop showing up without there being a legitimate reason like non stop negativity about the team instead of an issue about a tailgate spot they spent money on as a part of their support of the team.
                        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Instead of continuing to be a disgruntled message board poster who keeps looking to us for answers (we don't have them), why don't you just contact Justin Sell and get it straight from the horses mouth?

Comment

Instead of continuing to be a disgruntled message board poster who keeps looking to us for answers (we don't have them), why don't you just contact Justin Sell and get it straight from the horses mouth?
                            Because I still haven't cooled down enough to make that email. Don't worry, it's coming. I only ask here, because everyone else seems to have answers and when I ask for them I get told to quit tailgating because I am mad at it, somehow. If someone actually had an answer(which you don't) I might think it over and agree with it. If Justin Sell has decent answer(my money is he doesn't) I will maybe change my thought process. Right now I am unreasonable and as such do not want to begin that conversation quite yet.

Comment

Contacted the ticket office today (for an unrelated issue) and this issue came up. The person I spoke to was Adamant that they have fielded many opinions from people upset about the changes.
                              She then went on to ask me what specifically were my concerns.

Of which I informed her My concerns I had formed from this thread But also the offical tailgating policy contained which was copied and posted to this thread (because somebody I think filbert or JackJD posted the new policy) she was Also very relieved to hear that'concern stemmed from The offical policy and not hearsay. We discussed the changes and she reassured me that tailgating in the manner my group did will remain unchanged. We do not reserve a spot but put a pop-up in the gravel lot. She and I also discuses how the issues from last year had to be addressed. I also impressed how we (SDSU supporters and admin) should do every thing in our power not to diminish the game day experience and keep costs low for those on a tighter budget. She agreed and stated they have the same objective for game-day experience. She stated the wrist-banding was targeted to age groups and would not be an issue for our group.
                              I do sympathise however with those who affronted the money for spots only to have the rules changed after the fact.

My long-winded post is to suggest that calling in And expressing specific concerns may be a positive experience for others.

I apologize for the orginal post's lack of clarity it was late at night I was in bed and about to fall asleep. Edits in Bold Italics.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by slosho; 08-17-2016, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                                Contacted the ticket office today (for an unrelated issue) and this issue came up. The person I spoke to was Adamant that they have fielded many opinions from people upset about the changes. She then went on to ask me what specifically were my concerns. Of which I informed her I had formed from this thread (because somebody I think filbert or JackJD) posted the new policy) she was very relieved to hear that's where my concern stemmed from. We discussed the changes and she reassured me that tailgating in the manner my group did will remain unchanged.
                                I do sympathise however with those who affronted the money for spots only to have the rules changed after the fact.

My long-winded post is to suggest that calling in may be a positive experience for others.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
                                I'm sorry I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but can you edit this again so it makes some sort of sense. I kind of get what you are saying, and I see you were typing on your phone and we all do that very fast. I think you yadda yadda'd the best part and are missing a sentence or two. She was relieved you had made your opinion based off of this thread? So, she's reading this thread? How do you tailgate? You don't have a lot? There's a paragraph missing in the story.

Comment

Working...
                                X