Tailgating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tailgating

From the picture in the email it looks like the new alumni location might be closer to the stadium entrance. I will count that as a positive.
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      Just got an email saying the Alumni Tent has moved to a grass area north of the library. This seems like a really strange move. JackJD, are you still on the board? If so, what's going on?
      I'm no longer on the Alumni Association's board (side note: thoroughly enjoyed being on the board -- if anyone is asked to serve on that board, do it). I think the new location will work out. The Alumni Association's tent is a great meeting place for alums who attend all the games and those who haven't been back for a few years. Many alums do not have a regular tailgating spot so they'll seek out the tent.

I think people will adjust to all the changes in tailgating and it will just spread out in all directions from the new stadium. Hard to beat having a beverage and something to eat with one's buddies before a Jackrabbit game.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        I'm no longer on the Alumni Association's board (side note: thoroughly enjoyed being on the board -- if anyone is asked to serve on that board, do it). I think the new location will work out. The Alumni Association's tent is a great meeting place for alums who attend all the games and those who haven't been back for a few years. Many alums do not have a regular tailgating spot so they'll seek out the tent.

I think people will adjust to all the changes in tailgating and it will just spread out in all directions from the new stadium. Hard to beat having a beverage and something to eat with one's buddies before a Jackrabbit game.
        The board meets maybe 4 times per year, so on details such as this, the staff is involved 100 per cent. They usually dont share all these details with each board member, so might want to check with the AA CEO. I was on the Alumni Association board for a while too, and its an honor to serve. The meetings are informative as you get details about what going on campus. I might add that the AA is often included in other staff meetings including those with the president. No doubt this move was a result of a staff meeting involving tailgating and students.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          The board meets maybe 4 times per year, so on details such as this, the staff is involved 100 per cent. They usually dont share all these details with each board member, so might want to check with the AA CEO. I was on the Alumni Association board for a while too, and its an honor to serve. The meetings are informative as you get details about what going on campus. I might add that the AA is often included in other staff meetings included with the president. No doubt this move was a result of a staff meeting involving tailgating and students.
          I was on the Alumni Association board too. I was only wondering if a reason had been shared. The tailgating tent and other alumni/athletic events were always areas of focus when I was on the board.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I was on the Alumni Association board too. I was only wondering if a reason had been shared. The tailgating tent and other alumni/athletic events were always areas of focus when I was on the board.
            OK. I see, I was on the board in the early 1990's so things have changed a great deal since then. About the only thing that has not changed is the meeting schedule of the board.

Comment

OK. I see, I was on the board in the early 1990's so things have changed a great deal since then.
              I'll add that I was on the board with Matt, the previous director. Andi could be running things differently. I have no idea.

Comment

I'll add that I was on the board with Matt, the previous director. Andi could be running things differently. I have no idea.
                If I recall correctly, the AA CEO, does not have a lot of power, they have to often go along to get along. Don't get me wrong, the Alumni Association does have an important function, but other people such as the President and Foundation often wield power and that's how it should be. UND has the functions of the foundation and alumni association combined and I dont think it works all that well. I like our set up.

Comment

If I recall correctly, the AA CEO, does not have a lot of power, they have to often go along to get along. Don't get me wrong, the Alumni Association does have an important function, but other people such as the President and Foundation often wield power and that's how it should be. UND has the functions of the foundation and alumni association combined and I dont think it works all that well. I like our set up.
                  I would just update this with a perspective on the last year or two since Andi Fouberg became the AA CEO. What Nidaros refers to was generally true, but I have sensed a change there, and the Foundation and Alumni Association have become more cohesive. That has shown up in the Alumni Green project, the building of a new Alumni Center next to the Foundation building for joint useage, and a generally better attitude between the two CEO's. The AA staff is now sharing space with the Foundation until the new Center is completed, and I think that helps a little in coordination and staff relations. I don't have any current insight on the move of the Alumni Tent, but I do have a lot of confidence in Andi Fouberg's leadership, and I also understand that a lot of things are changing (naturally) with a vastly larger and more comprehensive stadium now available.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    I would just update this with a perspective on the last year or two since Andi Fouberg became the AA CEO. What Nidaros refers to was generally true, but I have sensed a change there, and the Foundation and Alumni Association have become more cohesive. That has shown up in the Alumni Green project, the building of a new Alumni Center next to the Foundation building for joint useage, and a generally better attitude between the two CEO's. The AA staff is now sharing space with the Foundation until the new Center is completed, and I think that helps a little in coordination and staff relations. I don't have any current insight on the move of the Alumni Tent, but I do have a lot of confidence in Andi Fouberg's leadership, and I also understand that a lot of things are changing (naturally) with a vastly larger and more comprehensive stadium now available.
                    Other than yourself, there is no one more qualified to be AA CEO, than Andi. No doubt she learned a great deal working on the staff for Sen. Thune. I think she glances at the floor and notices where all the toes are before she opens her oral device and engages in speaking. I think she is very qualified and controlling the students without treating them as outsiders is a big task for the entire administration. Moving the tent, I suspect, was a move perceived by the admin as being necessary. I am sure it will all work out. I don't doubt your comments about the two groups being more cohesive since the new project has started. I really don't have much insight anymore and often think 1990's like it was just yesterday.

Comment

So this email went out to all students on Wednesday. Similar to the one that went out to student organizations. Things to point out, paragraph four says that wrist banding will be for ALL tailgating, not just the backyard. There will be 5 stations you can go to. I also hate the last sentence about access to the backyard. I'm interested to see how this is enforced.

"Good afternoon Jackrabbit Students,

We are very excited to begin the fall semester and bring the energy (students) back to campus! With assistance from President Dunn and our Athletic Director, Justin Sell, we are excited to announce the Rabbit Den Tailgate!

This tailgate lot is open and reserved for SDSU Students, and will be located directly north of Frost Arena (see photo below). This lot allow's the consumption of alcohol for individuals 21 and over. We are really excited about this location as it is one of the closest lots to the student entrance.

The first game on Sept. 10 will be one of 2 games with the Student Walk. The Walk will begin at Larson Commons at 4pm and end at the Rabbit Den Tailgate Lot. Coach TJ Otzelberger will be grilling hot dogs for the first 250 students, beginning at 4:30pm.

There will be wristbanding implemented to all of Jackrabbit Tailgating. Students and fans that are 21 and over may go to one of the 5 wristbanding stations to show ID and receive a wristband.

We will also be hosting Minute-to-Win-it games each week at the tailgate lot. Students can sign up and be chosen to compete for gift cards to the University Bookstore and other great places around Brookings!

We are encouraging all students and recent alumni to utilize the Rabbit Den Tailgate Lot, as access to the Backyard Lot will be limited.

Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks"

Comment

We are encouraging all students and recent alumni to utilize the Rabbit Den Tailgate Lot, as access to the Backyard Lot will be limited.
                        Basically get ****ed then. Awesome. Makes me less likely to tailgate.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          Just makes the vibe feel like they are trying to separate the peasants from the $ donors. Which is fine, if the $ donors were upset you have to keep them happy, but I think it's going to hurt the atmosphere in the Backyard and cause everyone to go to a different area to tailgate and certainly doesn't make me feel motivated to try and get a spot back there.

We'll see how it plays out at the first game. There will likely be a good number of first time fans coming just to see the opening, hopefully the restrictions don't come off as unwelcoming in practice instead of in theory. Just a really in opportune year to try to crack down on tailgating IMO.
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            A partial quote from Jack#1 post in 223 of this thread.
                            "I also understand that a lot of things are changing (naturally) with a vastly larger and more comprehensive stadium now available."

I been studying the information receive with the season tickets. For years I found parking very close to the ticket gate, with a Priority Parking tag. This year I fear I will get plenty of walking as the closest I can get is down a ways from the stadium. The area I formally parked in is now reserved for Loge and Suite patrons. I am club so that part of game day experience will be different. Well I need the exercise. So it's not all bad. Lots of little things will be given up because there will be larger crowds.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                              Just makes the vibe feel like they are trying to separate the peasants from the $ donors....
                              I don't like the class warfare accusation. We know the problem was the amoeba: the mass of students having a great time but also clogging up the backyard and prone to erupt with things like beer tossing etc. Trying to get the students a place they like is a great idea. I was there when the beers were in the air and I suppose I have some developmental problems because I was laughing (while I was trotting to get out of the way). But there's a better place for that when many others in the backyard prefer not to deal with ducking full and half-full beer cans flying through the air or having difficulty walking through the mass of people. Really doesn't have anything to do with "peasants" or "$ donors". (thumper76 -- I hope you weren't serious about playing that old saw 'peasants v. $ donors' -- if you want to see how productive those discussions are, visit the USD message board and see how one poster in particular, usually claiming to be a "regular person" or something like that, pits all "us regular people" v. "the big-time donors" in a nonsensical 'debate' about ticket prices. Not a productive discussion and I feel a little sorry for the USD fans on their message board who have to somehow tolerate that crap.)

Comment

...I been studying the information receive with the season tickets. For years I found parking very close to the ticket gate, with a Priority Parking tag. This year I fear I will get plenty of walking as the closest I can get is down a ways from the stadium. The area I formally parked in is now reserved for Loge and Suite patrons....
                                While I didn't opt for the club seats, I'm in Section 104 on the west side and, like you, have always had parking in the west lot next to the stadium. Keep in mind you can park with your parking pass next to the stadium but just on the east side. That's where I'll park and I'll consider the extra steps as an opportunity to survey more of the stadium before and after each game.

Comment

Working...
                                X