Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Indiana State

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Kemo: I may be misunderstand this part of your post: '...a medical redshirt may be available because he didn't use it up on his freshman season.' Or, I may have an incorrect understanding about a redshirt ( I always reserve the right to operated based on incorrect understandings )

I thought an athlete could take a year off (redshirt) in any one of their seasons so long as they keep in mind they get four years of competition to be completed in five years. Medical redshirts can be granted on application which may then have the effect of extending elgibility past the total of five year. So, lets say TC doesn't play next year because he and his coaches just decide to save a year of eligibility...can't that be his redshirt season? (Is there a different rule for football?) Compare: Great Cross Country All-American Trent Lusignan, listed as a senior this year, took last year off -- a redshirt year. His three prior seasons in Cross Country were 2011, 2012 and 2013. In 2013, he was 12th in the NCAA DI National Race to earn All-America honors.
    Nope. Same rule.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Did I miss something on Wallace? Was he injured? Why didn't he get carries? Anyone heard anything?

Comment

It sounds like Lujan will not be ready physically to play this week which is good for the career of TC.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          Did I miss something on Wallace? Was he injured? Why didn't he get carries? Anyone heard anything?
          Zim asked that question in post game and Stig said Paris has been working hard and was given the chance. Also said Paris earned more snaps.

3:57 mark
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=5QLXNzdjFxg

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            Kemo: I may be misunderstanding this part of your post: '...a medical redshirt may be available because he didn't use it up on his freshman season.' Or, I may have an incorrect understanding about a redshirt ( I always reserve the right to operate based on incorrect understandings )

I thought an athlete could take a year off (redshirt) in any one of their seasons so long as they keep in mind they get four years of competition to be completed in five years. Medical redshirts can be granted on application which may then have the effect of extending elgibility past the total of five year. So, lets say TC doesn't play next year because he and his coaches just decide to save a year of eligibility...can't that be his redshirt season? (Is there a different rule for football?) Compare: Great Cross Country All-American Trent Lusignan, listed as a senior this year, took last year off -- a redshirt year. His three prior seasons in Cross Country were 2011, 2012 and 2013. In 2013, he was 12th in the NCAA DI National Race to earn All-America honors.
            I don't claim to be an expert on eligibility rules, but I have paid attention to many different cases over the years and this is my understanding:

In terms of redshirt vs. medical redshirt, the application is different, but the effect is the same.

Essentially, a redshirt is when a student athlete is voluntarily a non participant over the course of a season, so as long as they don't participate in any games, this will not use up one of their 4 years of eligibility, which has a half-life of 5 years from when they enroll at a college. Hence, though I have personally not competed in any varsity college athletics, since I enrolled at SDSU in the fall of 2002, I do not have any eligibility left due to it being well beyond 5 years from my enrollment date. So to the question of "Can Taryn still take a red shirt voluntarily like you see sometimes with cross country and track?" Yes, he still could do so, though it is quite rare to see a football player participate as a true freshman only to later voluntarily redshirt in a later year, but it can be done.

Medical redshirts, however, are not voluntary, but rather are awarded to a student-athlete who was forced out of significant playing time due to an injury. A player can apply for a medical redshirt if they meet the following criteria:
            1. The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
            2. The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
            3. The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

Basically, a medical redshirt is just an assurance that if a player has the misfortune of suffering a season ending injury early in the year, they don't loss a year of eligibility for their minimal participation (Chad White had something along these lines happen to him during his true freshman year of basketball). So to reiterate, a voluntary redshirt and a medical redshirt both have the same effect: The student-athlete does not lose a year of eligibility for that particular season.

2 IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE:
            1. A student athlete only gets 1 "redshirt" year regardless of whether it comes about voluntarily or through injury. A player can not have both a voluntary redshirt and a medical redshirt, as they are viewed as the same by the NCAA. So if a player misses a season due to injury after they voluntarily redshirted, they can not be awarded a medical redshirt even if they miss a season due to injury further down the line.
            2. Also, one of the most misunderstood things about being granted a medical redshirt is how it affects the 5 year window of eligibility. A student-athlete DOES NOT get an extension on their 5 year window of eligibility just because they are granted a medical redshirt. In order to get an extension from 5 to 6 years on the eligibility window, a student-athlete must show they missed at least 2 seasons due injury. Therefore, a student athlete who voluntarily redshirted and missed 1 season due to injury will not be awarded an additional year on their eligibility clock.

A case example for an extension in the 5 year eligibility window is right up the road in Fargo with NDSU's wide receiver Zach Vraa. He was going to participate as a true freshman but got injured (I believe it was a broken collarbone), so he was unable to play and received a "medical" redshirt due to this. In his RS freshman year, he had another season ending injury (I think it might have been the collarbone again), and though he was not technically awarded another redshirt, he had the medical records that showed he missed 2 seasons due to injury. Therefore, when Zach finished his senior season (5th year on his eligibility window), he applied for a medical hardship (different than medical redshirt) and requested to have his window extended for a 6th year. Since he had proof he missed 2 season due to injury, he was award this extra year, and therefore that is why he is playing this season.

So to help clarify further, when fans were clamoring about Austin Sumner getting a "medical redshirt" last year when he broke his foot, they were wrong to think this was possible because he had already used his "redshirt" voluntarily his true freshman season, therefore he was not eligible to receive a "medical" redshirt (remember, they are one and the same in the eyes of the NCAA). So even if Austin wouldn't have played at all during his senior season (his 5th and final year on the eligibility window), he would not be granted a 6th year because he only missed 1 season (his senior year) due to injury instead of the required 2.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but I hope this clears some things up for people.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
            X