Indiana State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Indiana State

What's the possibility we see Taryn redshirt next year? Stay with me...

So both Taryn and Zach are basically slashed at the #1 QB slot coming out of fall camp this year. The coaching staff makes the right call and goes with Zach in order to preserve Taryn's redshirt year. Zach gets dinged up, and the staff correctly puts Taryn in as he gives the team the best chance to win (we owe the seniors that have given 4+ years that much, no matter if it burns TC's redshirt). Rest of this season, maybe we see all TC, maybe we see all Zach, or maybe we see a mix.

Fast forward to next year...both TC and Zach come out of camp even. Start Zach as a senior QB and go into the season with the same plan as this year - TC redshirts if possible. We don't use him in mop up duty or spot duty in game - only in case of injury and only if the injury will cause Zach to miss a game. If Zach stays healthy all season, TC has a redshirt year and we get three years of him starting in 2017. Maybe, Chris Little comes back and can even provide some security next year as well if he is performing strong. May provide a better third option than Douglas.

Again, this is only an option if TC and Zach are equal. If TC is the better QB and gives us a better chance to win, play him. His redshirt year isn't more important than the potential success of all the other players in the program.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Also I don't want to get started on the piss poor attendance excuses. If SDSU wants to be a top FCS program like the one up north, the fans need to buy in and show up every week. Students included. A bunch of them were tailgating and didn't go to the game.[/QUOTE]

I agree the crowd on Saturday was pathetic. I hope there weren't any recruits in town. With that said I believe the $40.00 ticket price the weekend before keeps fans away the next week. I heard from many fans they had to make a choice. The SDSU/NDSU game or two other games. Most went to the SDSU/NDSU game. The SDSU/NDSU game was a $200 plus day for a family of four.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
        What's the possibility we see Taryn redshirt next year? Stay with me...

So both Taryn and Zach are basically slashed at the #1 QB slot coming out of fall camp this year. The coaching staff makes the right call and goes with Zach in order to preserve Taryn's redshirt year. Zach gets dinged up, and the staff correctly puts Taryn in as he gives the team the best chance to win (we owe the seniors that have given 4+ years that much, no matter if it burns TC's redshirt). Rest of this season, maybe we see all TC, maybe we see all Zach, or maybe we see a mix.

Fast forward to next year...both TC and Zach come out of camp even. Start Zach as a senior QB and go into the season with the same plan as this year - TC redshirts if possible. We don't use him in mop up duty or spot duty in game - only in case of injury and only if the injury will cause Zach to miss a game. If Zach stays healthy all season, TC has a redshirt year and we get three years of him starting in 2017. Maybe, Chris Little comes back and can even provide some security next year as well if he is performing strong. May provide a better third option than Douglas.

Again, this is only an option if TC and Zach are equal. If TC is the better QB and gives us a better chance to win, play him. His redshirt year isn't more important than the potential success of all the other players in the program.
        I think TC would really have to struggle the rest of this year, spring ball, and next fall camp for this to happen. I just don't see Lujan getting too much better than what he already is. Not saying he's bad, just think his ceiling is about reached. TC on the other hand has immense room to grow and is already on par or better than Lujan. He is a much better runner and has a stronger arm. Lujan likely has the upper hand in the playbook and decision making right now, but TC should continue to improve on that with more experience.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
          I think TC would really have to struggle the rest of this year, spring ball, and next fall camp for this to happen. I just don't see Lujan getting too much better than what he already is. Not saying he's bad, just think his ceiling is about reached. TC on the other hand has immense room to grow and is already on par or better than Lujan. He is a much better runner and has a stronger arm. Lujan likely has the upper hand in the playbook and decision making right now, but TC should continue to improve on that with more experience.
          Not like Lujan has been in the program for 4 years. HE got the start since Sumner was hurt last year and he came up and did really well considering he was a newcomer to the program also. He had the slight upper hand to start the year, but not by much, so after starting what maybe 10 games and he cant get better? I dont know if I beleive that. TC might have more growth total and a higher ceiling. but pretty sure Lujan has room to grow. Like we saw him cut down on TOs so far this year.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

We are falling for the same crap that the NFL falls for when the starter gets hurt and a backup comes in and performs well. They think "ooo, maybe he's the next Tom Brady and he just needed a chance to shine", so they entrust him with a starting spot due to his good performance, and not long after that they realize "crap, he's a good backup, but he's not a starter". As others have said, I like Lujan, he's a good guy and has played really well for us as a backup/transitional QB, but let's not forget that's exactly what he is, a backup QB. I'm not taking anything away from his 8-3 record, yes it's good, but that's exactly why you need to have a good backup QB, next man up. He will be a great backup to TC in case something happens, but until that happens, he should remain a backup. This whole transition happened earlier than expected, but if you ask me, I'm happy it did. Wieneke will only be here for 2 more years after this one. Let's pair one of the best QB prospects we have ever had with possibly the best WR we have ever had, and try to go win a championship.

Comment

Remember how everyone loved TOB when he came in as QB. He replaced Crawford I think, who got the start as a senior but didnt have the strongest arm. TOB comes in and does some good things as a freshman. All fans thought about was how great he was going to be and he needed to play......Well the next 2 years sure didnt pan out very well for TOB or the team with all that hype. Not going to say that TC will be a bust, but he got the start against a banged up probably avg at best D. I am glad TC didnt have to face NDSU last weekend. There are a lot of tough games left and if TC gets the nod he will have his chance to prove it. Hopefully he is ready. I know College football is going to the dual threat QB, but that worries me he is going to take pressure passing and hits from running. We have had QB injuries in the past. Putting him in situations where he might be taking more hits worries me a bit. As long as he learns to hit the ground or slide he might avoid a lot of those hits.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I love how everyone is acting like TC is the second coming of Christ based on his performance against a 3-2 ISUb team with wins over juggarnauts like SE Mo St (2-4), Butler (Non-schollie), and Mo St (well we know about how good they are). He played ok, but he made quite a few mistakes as well.

A win is a win, but we didn't play all that well Saturday. Had that game been against UNI or ISUr we get blown out. If we don't improve dramatically by Saturday we probably hang in L in the loss column against Youngstown.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  I love how everyone is acting like TC is the second coming of Christ based on his performance against a 3-2 ISUb team with wins over juggarnauts like SE Mo St (2-4), Butler (Non-schollie), and Mo St (well we know about how good they are). He played ok, but he made quite a few mistakes as well.

A win is a win, but we didn't play all that well Saturday. Had that game been against UNI or ISUr we get blown out. If we don't improve dramatically by Saturday we probably hang in L in the loss column against Youngstown.
                  I don't think people are basing their opinions on his performance in the ISUb game. I mean it was his first start and first in game action in over a year after all, so it would be dumb to base much of an opinion on that game. I think people are basing it on his performance in high school, which some will poo poo due to being against South Dakota football talent, but also his potential and ceiling. He had offers from NDSU, UNI, USD, and even FBS schools Ohio and Eastern Michigan. Name the last SDSU QB that was that heavily recruited.

Comment

Holy hell this is divisive. TC was one of the top recruits we've ever gotten. There was a reason he was given a chance to compete for a job as a true freshman. This isn't just some backup who had a flukey game. This is a top recruit, a stud athlete, and he performed really well. How is that hard to understand? I think a lot of teams would love for us to continue to start Lujan and be more one dimensional.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

In regards to mistakes made by TC. Every player makes mistakes in the game, missed tackles and blocking assignments. Blown coverages that allow a wr to get behind the d. Point is TC had mistakes, were they growing pains? I don't think so, he didn't turn it over was fearless running(which needs to change to a slide) and threw excellent balls.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        Not like Lujan has been in the program for 4 years. HE got the start since Sumner was hurt last year and he came up and did really well considering he was a newcomer to the program also. He had the slight upper hand to start the year, but not by much, so after starting what maybe 10 games and he cant get better? I dont know if I beleive that. TC might have more growth total and a higher ceiling. but pretty sure Lujan has room to grow. Like we saw him cut down on TOs so far this year.
                        I never said Lujan won't get better, I said I can't see him getting too much better than what he already is. TC has the potential to be an All American type player with his combination of speed, arm strength and size.

This kind of reminds me of the 49ers a few years ago with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. Smith was a steady starter who never really made mistakes, but was never going to have the huge plays that can completely swing the momentum of a game and ultimately be game winning plays. Kaepernick was the guy who had all the physical tools to be a game changing type player. Now I know Kaepernick has sucked the last couple years, but it worked out pretty well for them the first few years.

Comment

I don't have dog in this fight. In the eyes of jack1, I make ludcrous comments about TC, so I am not qualified to post. LOL

Comment

P
                            Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Well close his last name is Christion. Seeing is believing. Why he is better than Ted Wahl. O

Comment

I never said Lujan won't get better, I said I can't see him getting too much better than what he already is. TC has the potential to be an All American type player with his combination of speed, arm strength and size.

This kind of reminds me of the 49ers a few years ago with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. Smith was a steady starter who never really made mistakes, but was never going to have the huge plays that can completely swing the momentum of a game and ultimately be game winning plays. Kaepernick was the guy who had all the physical tools to be a game changing type player. Now I know Kaepernick has sucked the last couple years, but it worked out pretty well for them the first few years.
                              Good analogy! HAHAHAHA. Maybe you can use one with Dante Culpepper too!

The 49ers were good because their defense was elite.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                Holy hell this is divisive. TC was one of the top recruits we've ever gotten. There was a reason he was given a chance to compete for a job as a true freshman. This isn't just some backup who had a flukey game. This is a top recruit, a stud athlete, and he performed really well. How is that hard to understand? I think a lot of teams would love for us to continue to start Lujan and be more one dimensional.
                                THIS is the key to the TC discussion. He's not some guy from a distant state that we've never really heard of until he is a sophomore.

Comment

Working...
                                X