Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Indiana State

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
    THIS is the key to the TC discussion. He's not some guy from a distant state that we've never really heard of until he is a sophomore.
    A few weeks ago at a Press Conference, Gophers Coach Kill said that he will no longer recruit a local Minnesota kid to play QB because the fan base puts too much pressure on him. He fails and everybody hates him, and even hates his own local family. Not his exact words, but something along those lines.

A little bit similar to this case, if TC was from Phoenix, we as a fan base, wouldn't be as emotionally attached to the kid or have as strong an opinion on who he is or what he can do. Maybe Lujan was the TC of Alaska? Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
      A few weeks ago at a Press Conference, Gophers Coach Kill said that he will no longer recruit a local Minnesota kid to play QB because the fan base puts too much pressure on him. He fails and everybody hates him, and even hates his own local family. Not his exact words, but something along those lines.

A little bit similar to this case, if TC was from Phoenix, we as a fan base, wouldn't be as emotionally attached to the kid or have as strong an opinion on who he is or what he can do. Maybe Lujan was the TC of Alaska? Who knows.
      Both are very capable. I am sure TC does have a good following from SF and he said in the post game interview that he chose SDSU since his family and friends would not have to travel very far to see him play. Lujan is a very good athlete, I think the coaches were very lucky to find him. IMO, TC has so many have said in this thread does have better skills at running and passing. Its going to be interesting to see what develops on Saturday in Youngstown.

Comment

Seems like a good problem to have. Let the coaches and players sort through and start the best man for the job. Indiana State's defense is horrible. This week is a much bigger challenge.

The coaching staff is to blame for the colossal screw up at the end of the half. No further discussion necessary.

Officiating was terrible at best. That crew needs to review the game tape and get better.

Another fantastic match-up this Saturday. Happy hunting!!!
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

While Indiana State may have been depleted and not very good on defense, I will say they were a very physical and hard hitting team. On to the next challenge for 1-0. Anyone know what the weather forecast is on Saturday in Youngstown?

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post

It is ignorant to say that Lujan was the TC of Alaska... look at his recruiting profile (spoiler alert: it doesn't exist). I can see how some would think that all of this hype is due to it being a local kid, but as I said before, name an SDSU QB that was this highly recruited.

Comment

Weather Channel - 48 degrees, 13 mph NW wind and AM showers.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                While Indiana State may have been depleted and not very good on defense, I will say they were a very physical and hard hitting team. On to the next challenge for 1-0. Anyone know what the weather forecast is on Saturday in Youngstown?
                Anyone know if there will be streaming available? I know their game against ISUr last week was available, so I assume this week would be as well? We should probably move this discussion to a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  It is ignorant to say that Lujan was the TC of Alaska... look at his recruiting profile (spoiler alert: it doesn't exist). I can see how some would think that all of this hype is due to it being a local kid, but as I said before, name an SDSU QB that was this highly recruited.
                  If Sumner wasnt he should have been.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    Anyone know if there will be streaming available? I know their game against ISUr last week was available, so I assume this week would be as well? We should probably move this discussion to a new thread.
                    I was just wondering the same thing. would like to watch it.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      I was just wondering the same thing. would like to watch it.
                      Game can be seen on ESPN3

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                        I agree on the hard hits - there were as many pad-popping hits that you could hear up in the stands as I can remember for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          I agree on the hard hits - there were as many pad-popping hits that you could hear up in the stands as I can remember for awhile.
                          Sound tends to echo more when the stadium is that empty

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                            What's the possibility we see Taryn redshirt next year? Stay with me...

So both Taryn and Zach are basically slashed at the #1 QB slot coming out of fall camp this year. The coaching staff makes the right call and goes with Zach in order to preserve Taryn's redshirt year. Zach gets dinged up, and the staff correctly puts Taryn in as he gives the team the best chance to win (we owe the seniors that have given 4+ years that much, no matter if it burns TC's redshirt). Rest of this season, maybe we see all TC, maybe we see all Zach, or maybe we see a mix.

Fast forward to next year...both TC and Zach come out of camp even. Start Zach as a senior QB and go into the season with the same plan as this year - TC redshirts if possible. We don't use him in mop up duty or spot duty in game - only in case of injury and only if the injury will cause Zach to miss a game. If Zach stays healthy all season, TC has a redshirt year and we get three years of him starting in 2017. Maybe, Chris Little comes back and can even provide some security next year as well if he is performing strong. May provide a better third option than Douglas.

Again, this is only an option if TC and Zach are equal. If TC is the better QB and gives us a better chance to win, play him. His redshirt year isn't more important than the potential success of all the other players in the program.
                            While the scenario brought up is highly unlikely, the idea of TC's redshirt being used later down the road is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Injuries happen all the time in football, and if Taryn had the misfortune of suffering a prolonged injury earlier in the season a medical redshirt would be an option because he didn't use it up on his freshman season. There was a misinformed talk about Austin Sumner getting a medical redshirt last year, but since the NCAA only allows a 5 year window and Austin used a redshirt his freshman year, this was not an option. Pretty much the only way to get an extension on a student-athlete's 5 year window is for them to be miss multiple season due to injury, which wasn't the case with Sumner.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                              Added to the drama is Stig is old school. I thought he believed in the adage that you don't lose your job because of injury. We got ourselves a QB controversy!!
                              http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...what/73812754/

Comment

Kemo: I may be misunderstanding this part of your post: '...a medical redshirt may be available because he didn't use it up on his freshman season.' Or, I may have an incorrect understanding about a redshirt ( I always reserve the right to operate based on incorrect understandings )

I thought an athlete could take a year off (redshirt) in any one of their seasons so long as they keep in mind they get four years of competition to be completed in five years. Medical redshirts can be granted on application which may then have the effect of extending elgibility past the total of five year. So, lets say TC doesn't play next year because he and his coaches just decide to save a year of eligibility...can't that be his redshirt season? (Is there a different rule for football?) Compare: Great Cross Country All-American Trent Lusignan, listed as a senior this year, took last year off -- a redshirt year. His three prior seasons in Cross Country were 2011, 2012 and 2013. In 2013, he was 12th in the NCAA DI National Race to earn All-America honors.

Comment

Working...
                                X