Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dakota Marker - 2014 Edition

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Our defense is terrible. Even if we win the next three weeks and get an at large berth we wont be making any noise in the playoffs with our defense playing like they have been playing.

How long has Clint Brown been the D coordinator?
    Brown's been the D coordinator 2 years. He was a co-D coordinator his previous 4 years. I'm curious if he's the innovator of the lining up 2 yds. off the ball. #mindboggling

Comment

It is very hard to understand the Jacks defense. Watched the D tackles all game and they look like two bears hugging on each play with the O linemen. No push, no slanting, no pressure. The first thing all four D tackles do is stand up and get tangled up with the O linemen. This is usually 2 yards on the defensive side. The D line waits till the offense moves and doesn't get off on the snap, just watch the game and you will see this play after play in the middle. We can't control the line of scrimmage. The opposing O line were never on their heals or off balance. Now the D tackles try to reach and make a arm tackle. That is not going to happen in D1 football.

The last question on the game Satueday. Why couldn't the linebackers and secondary catch the QB on Saturday? He is 6' 6" and 231 lbs and ran away from our defense many times. Is it poor angles by the tacklers? Unbelievable we can't takle a qb that size but then we must catch him first.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        Brown's been the D coordinator 2 years. He was a co-D coordinator his previous 4 years. I'm curious if he's the innovator of the lining up 2 yds. off the ball. #mindboggling
        I think Stig and Sell will need to take a good hard look at the direction of the program after the season.

Im not sure if the issue is scheme or personnel or a combo, but the performance by the defense has been unacceptable this year.

Comment

I think Stig and Sell will need to take a good hard look at the direction of the program after the season.

Im not sure if the issue is scheme or personnel or a combo, but the performance by the defense has been unacceptable this year.
          The last thing Sell would do is fire Stig, but I am certain, he cant be pleased with the results so far this season. No doubt they need to talk about quite a few things. Clint Brown is a former Husker and did a great job at Wayne State. I certain also he wants to do the right thing at SDSU. If they are a yard away from LOS and they are as the announcers said looking to see who as the ball, then we are not getting the job done. I feel confident this will all be worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            The last thing Sell would do is fire Stig, but I am certain, he cant be pleased with the results so far this season. No doubt they need to talk about quite a few things. Clint Brown is a former Husker and did a great job at Wayne State. I certain also he wants to do the right thing at SDSU. If they are a yard away from LOS and they are as the announcers said looking to see who as the ball, then we are not getting the job done. I feel confident this will all be worked out.
            I agree Stig is not on the hot seat, but it's obvious there needs to be some changes made. Whether that's scheme changes, personnel, or coaches I don't know, but this isn't little league and we need to demand results.

Hell, our staff set goals of a seed and a first round bye. That tells me they thought they had the personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
              It is very hard to understand the Jacks defense. Watched the D tackles all game and they look like two bears hugging on each play with the O linemen. No push, no slanting, no pressure. The first thing all four D tackles do is stand up and get tangled up with the O linemen. This is usually 2 yards on the defensive side. The D line waits till the offense moves and doesn't get off on the snap, just watch the game and you will see this play after play in the middle. We can't control the line of scrimmage. The opposing O line were never on their heals or off balance. Now the D tackles try to reach and make a arm tackle. That is not going to happen in D1 football.

The last question on the game Satueday. Why couldn't the linebackers and secondary catch the QB on Saturday? He is 6' 6" and 231 lbs and ran away from our defense many times. Is it poor angles by the tacklers? Unbelievable we can't takle a qb that size but then we must catch him first.
              Another question about how our D line sets up. When they get down in their 3 point stance , many of them put one hand on the ground and grab their own facemask with their other hand. I cannot come up with a reason to do that. Have they always done that ? I never noticed until recently.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                Another question about how our D line sets up. When they get down in their 3 point stance , many of them put one hand on the ground and grab their own facemask with their other hand. I cannot come up with a reason to do that. Have they always done that ? I never noticed until recently.
                I noticed this too this WTF is that?

Comment

How can they expect to stop them on 3rd and short or 4th and short when they are so far off the ball?

I mean they are giving them the first down...

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post

How can they expect to stop them on 3rd and short or 4th and short when they are so far off the ball?

Can you say QB sneak?

Comment

Agreed. Look at the top of the screen and how far Jack Sherlock lines up off the ball. He's not down in his 3 point yet, but he's going to line up nearly 2 yards off the ball.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

This screenshot reminds me of pee-wee football. Why even get in a 3 point stance? 3rd and 1 and we have one defender inside that 1 yard???

I've been pretty supportive of the coaching staff, but the defense needs to play better. I wish we could put together offense, defense, and special teams for a whole season. It does have to be tough with a revolving door for the coaching staff, but c'mon. At least line up like you want to stop them. Has anybody asked Stig about this in his talks? What is the theory behind this?
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                          Agreed. Look at the top of the screen and how far Jack Sherlock lines up off the ball. He's not down in his 3 point yet, but he's going to line up nearly 2 yards off the ball.
                          I don't know if he actually gets into a 3 point stance. From what I could see, that's how he lines up.

Comment

I agree Stig is not on the hot seat, but it's obvious there needs to be some changes made. Whether that's scheme changes, personnel, or coaches I don't know, but this isn't little league and we need to demand results.

Hell, our staff set goals of a seed and a first round bye. That tells me they thought they had the personnel.
                            Since I live is Sioux Falls, I have a bit different perspective on SDSU than many Bison fans, and being Bison fan, I see things more detached than those on this board. I have thought, ever since 2007, you have a hell of a coach. You have to remember, he is not playing with the same deck of cards as NDSU. He is on a year to year contract, his assistants make peanuts (maybe that got fixed? I hear a few years ago it was bad), and he's had horrible facilities. However, the success he has brought your program is starting to change the whole equation:

1. You now have an indoor practice facility NDSU can only dream about. Yes, NDSU fans will continue to try to say, "yeah, but we have the Fargodome," but they do not own that building and do not have unlimited access. NDSU bused to El Forgo Grand last year to practice once in December.
                            2. You finally will have a new stadium, worthy of D1. Yes, we give you hell on port-a-johns, but those will be going away.

If I could do whatever I want at SDSU and was charged to make them a premier, NDSU level program, here is what I would do (I am very aware some of these are legislative issues):

1. Get great coaches like Stig off of year to year contracts; I don't think that is fair for such a great coach that you can basically #$%^ on him anytime you want and owe him nothing. Not to mention, even though he is an SDSU guy, he will have a very hard time turning down 2 million or so a year if his success continues and expands. And those colleges will owe SDSU nothing.
                            2. Make assistant coach pay comparable to NDSU.
                            3. Shut those borders down; you are losing too many high level SD recruits to NDSU. You now have the facilities to make a strong argument to stay home.
                            4. Beef up your tailgating in Brookings; yes, it will lead to even more dollars donated. Last year, we were all set up and rocking it, and no one was even in the SDSU lots tailgating yet. Not sure how you getting it going better, but you should have tailgate scene with no need to take a backseat to Fargo.

So, I know some called my patronizing, but I've really never felt SDSU has been playing on a level playing field with NDSU. Thus, my perspective that you guys should be very happy with how close you came on Saturday. But, you are getting much closer to NDSU, and I suspect will always be our main competition in this league going forward......you will finally be playing from the same deck of cards.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                              I don't know if he actually gets into a 3 point stance. From what I could see, that's how he lines up.
                              He eventually puts his hand down on the ground. However, we only have one defensive lineman within the zone of the one yard they need for the first down. A stop there would have been huge, but we simply conceded the yard.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
                                Since I live is Sioux Falls, I have a bit different perspective on SDSU than many Bison fans, and being Bison fan, I see things more detached than those on this board. I have thought, ever since 2007, you have a hell of a coach. You have to remember, he is not playing with the same deck of cards as NDSU. He is on a year to year contract, his assistants make peanuts (maybe that got fixed? I hear a few years ago it was bad), and he's had horrible facilities. However, the success he has brought your program is starting to change the whole equation:

1. You now have an indoor practice facility NDSU can only dream about. Yes, NDSU fans will continue to try to say, "yeah, but we have the Fargodome," but they do not own that building and do not have unlimited access. NDSU bused to El Forgo Grand last year to practice once in December.
                                2. You finally will have a new stadium, worthy of D1. Yes, we give you hell on port-a-johns, but those will be going away.

If I could do whatever I want at SDSU and was charged to make them a premier, NDSU level program, here is what I would do (I am very aware some of these are legislative issues):

1. Get great coaches like Stig off of year to year contracts; I don't think that is fair for such a great coach that you can basically #$%^ on him anytime you want and owe him nothing. Not to mention, even though he is an SDSU guy, he will have a very hard time turning down 2 million or so a year if his success continues and expands. And those colleges will owe SDSU nothing.
                                2. Make assistant coach pay comparable to NDSU.
                                3. Shut those borders down; you are losing too many high level SD recruits to NDSU. You now have the facilities to make a strong argument to stay home.
                                4. Beef up your tailgating in Brookings; yes, it will lead to even more dollars donated. Last year, we were all set up and rocking it, and no one was even in the SDSU lots tailgating yet. Not sure how you getting it going better, but you should have tailgate scene with no need to take a backseat to Fargo.

So, I know some called my patronizing, but I've really never felt SDSU has been playing on a level playing field with NDSU. Thus, my perspective that you guys should be very happy with how close you came on Saturday. But, you are getting much closer to NDSU, and I suspect will always be our main competition in this league going forward......you will finally be playing from the same deck of cards.
                                I agree with a lot that you said here. I was a student in 1962 and watched the inaugural game at CAS. We had a great team that year and the Bison where 0-11 that year. They did not even beat Concordia or MSU-Moorhead. But after that season things changed with a new president. I read in the Bison programs that the old president of NDSU did not want people from the AD begging for scholarship money from the downtown merchants. That all changed that year. The rest is very much history.

I think 1 year contracts are not the problem. There are advantages to having 1 year contracts namely, you can hand walking papers to those who are not doing their job sooner than later. I assure you, the Women's bb coach at NDSU would have left sooner if she had been at SDSU and had to deal with the one year contract. As programs at NDSU and SDSU grow, we are going to have to take another look at this. As you know living in SF, we have some real rock-heads in the legislature and they fail to see any celebrity status attached to being a head coach. A state employee is just that year to year. Granted Stig deserves more in terms of salary, but he is also a very humble person and seems to be happy getting nearly 200k per year. The staff could use some incentives built in to their job. I don't know for a fact that this in action. Maybe our defense would not position themselves like they currently do.

Tailgating, I first thought was just a big excuse to party, but I am certain I am wrong on that notion. The NDSU following is very impressive and I am sure we can learn from that. In my explanation of rep points I mentioned that space seems to be a limiting factor to tailgating in Fargo and Brookings both, but again I could be very wrong. Good luck to the Bison and thanks for recognizing the good things that are happening at SDSU. You are not a patronize by the way. Those who responded in that manner where experiencing butt hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                X