Week 2: Cal Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Week 2: Cal Poly

Rumors are floating around that Sumner may even medical redshirt. I have heard this from a few players. Nobody has said this will happen for sure, but it is a possibility. Someone from Brandon told me that he really wants to make the NFL, and that would be hard if he doesn't play half the season.
    "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      Do you think our DB's are being coached to turn around? It sure seems like they never do which tells me maybe their being coached not to turn around?? Just wondering. I find myself screaming "turn around" year after year.
      Who knows, I trust the coaches and we get a lot of good DBs but it seems we have a few big plays were the Db was just not aware the ball was coming even though they had good position.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
        Rumors are floating around that Sumner may even medical redshirt. I have heard this from a few players. Nobody has said this will happen for sure, but it is a possibility. Someone from Brandon told me that he really wants to make the NFL, and that would be hard if he doesn't play half the season.
        My guess is they will wait the 6-8 weeks, see where he is health wise, and where the team is. If the team is 1-7 and he won't be 100% until March, then its a good possibility, at the same time if the team is 6-2 and he is 100%, then its different.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          My guess is they will wait the 6-8 weeks, see where he is health wise, and where the team is. If the team is 1-7 and he won't be 100% until March, then its a good possibility, at the same time if the team is 6-2 and he is 100%, then its different.
          If the team is 6-2 in seven weeks and if Austin is then available, we may have a QB controversy.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Stieg said at Difference Makers that at this level you need to miss 2 years in order to get a medical redshirt, so he didn't think Sumner would be eligible because he would only miss 1 year.

Comment

Originally posted by poppa1 View Post
              Stieg said at Difference Makers that at this level you need to miss 2 years in order to get a medical redshirt, so he didn't think Sumner would be eligible because he would only miss 1 year.
              I thought it was a certain amount of the season. Or is it different for football and basketball? Anyone know?
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                I thought it was a certain amount of the season. Or is it different for football and basketball? Anyone know?
                If I am reading what I have found online it would be hard for Austin to get a medical redshirt due to his 5 year window being up. In order to get a sixth year waiver he would have to show an injury caused him to miss two years, which I believe is what Stig is talking about. I would think Mike Shoff may qualify for that since he will miss this year and a majority of last year (can't recall how many games he missed last year).

He here is an explanation I found online:
                "Medical Red-shirts and the Five-Year Clock

Athletes must keep in mind both the five-year clock and their four seasons of competition. Even if an athlete gets a medical hardship waiver, he or she needs to have time left on their five-year clock (10-semester/15-quarter clock in Divisions II and III) to use that season.

This is problematic for athletes took a normal redshirt season or sat out due to a transfer. An athlete can generally not use a medical redshirt in those cases unless they get a clock extension or sixth year waiver. To do that the athlete show they lost two seasons outside of his or her control. The medical redshirt would be one, but the athlete would still need to show another."

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/...l-redshirt.htm

Comment

Thanks UWM. The five year clock had crossed my mind and wonder if it not be a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    If the team is 6-2 in seven weeks and if Austin is then available, we may have a QB controversy.
                    Maybe I'm being a homer but if we aren't 6-2 at that point, I'll be sorely disappointed. I expect us to still be very good this year but I might be blinded by optimism at this point and I'm usually more of a pessimist.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                      You have got to be off your medication if you think he is available and their would be a controversy.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                        You have got to be off your medication if you think he is available and their would be a controversy.
                        I would be a little more gingerly in saying that even if Sumner is back in 8 weeks, he still will not be 100 per cent. IMO I get this feeling that the season is over for Austin. I really hate to say that, but lets be real, he broke 3 bones.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                          What's the weather forecast? Cool, but how cool? Dry at least?
                          Sunny with a high of 73 and light west winds. Perfect football weather.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Sunny with a high of 73 and light west winds. Perfect football weather.
                            That is perfection.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                              How is that being off your meds? Throw in a guy just coming off a major injury with a high likelyhood of him being rusty for at least a week over the guy playing well enough to have us in contention for a MVFC title (hypothetically)? Youre off your meds if you think there WONT be a controversy, and the only way there wouldnt be is if the coaches came out and said Lujan is the starter for the rest of the year. But there would still be one on here, you can bank on it. Hopefully they know one way or the other about Sumners med redshirt, or have a good idea of what the outcome will be by then. If we somehow are at 3 or more losses its a no brainer to put him in with uncertainty for the redshirt, but otherwise its tough to pull a guy if were on a roll. It sounds maybe a little cold, but I say if it comes down to us being on a roll, in the mix for the title and playoffs, and Lujan playing well, you keep playing him. Its terrible about Sumners injury, and I really do feel for him, but you dont risk the teams success because of a guy coming back from an injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper 76 View Post
                                How is that being off your meds? Throw in a guy just coming off a major injury with a high likelyhood of him being rusty for at least a week over the guy playing well enough to have us in contention for a MVFC title (hypothetically)? Youre off your meds if you think there WONT be a controversy, and the only way there wouldnt be is if the coaches came out and said Lujan is the starter for the rest of the year. But there would still be one on here, you can bank on it. Hopefully they know one way or the other about Sumners med redshirt, or have a good idea of what the outcome will be by then. If we somehow are at 3 or more losses its a no brainer to put him in with uncertainty for the redshirt, but otherwise its tough to pull a guy if were on a roll. It sounds maybe a little cold, but I say if it comes down to us being on a roll, in the mix for the title and playoffs, and Lujan playing well, you keep playing him. Its terrible about Sumners injury, and I really do feel for him, but you dont risk the teams success because of a guy coming back from an injury.
                                Stig is usually a guy who is in the you dont your starting job because of injury so the job is your when you get back. Thats what he tried to do with Crawford when he got injured, but just wasnt as effective as he was when he started the year. plus he didnt have great arm strength. I hope if he comes back Sumner gets a chance, but if he isnt 100% or Lujan is doing well it might be a sad ending to a great career for Austin. Hopefully there is thing that he heals quickly or gets a medical redshirt or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X