Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 Recruiting List

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
    Let's hope he has grown up since high school. I was more than happy to hear he decided to go elsewhere originally. No doubt he has a ton of talent, but his decision making was lacking as a high schooler...REALLY lacking. Others have turned things around when given a fresh start, I hope he can do the same.
    He must've been at least book smart to get an offer from Mines. Fresh start close to home, family and friends. I wonder if Hermanson being done had any impact on this choice. No doubt he will bring some depth and a veteran presence to the DB group. He may not have played a ton but remember MT is still a higher tier program. It's not like he's transferring from MO St.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
      He must've been at least book smart to get an offer from Mines. Fresh start close to home, family and friends. I wonder if Hermanson being done had any impact on this choice. No doubt he will bring some depth and a veteran presence to the DB group. He may not have played a ton but remember MT is still a higher tier program. It's not like he's transferring from MO St.
      I wouldn't take the chance of letting that kid near my team. Again, I hope things have changed, but I won't hold my breath.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I don't remember hearing anything about him. What did he do. Or was it cody larson bad or worse. If someone knows pm me since I don't recall anything.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          I don't remember hearing anything about him. What did he do. Or was it cody larson bad or worse. If someone knows pm me since I don't recall anything.
          Frankly, I don't give a damn what this young man did. Getting an offer from Mines speaks volumes.

Comment

According to Zimmer, Parker will be a walk-on at SDSU w/ the potential of having 2 years of elgibility (since his scholarship was not renewed at Montana).
            http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...list/78356784/

Comment

I wouldn't take the chance of letting that kid near my team. Again, I hope things have changed, but I won't hold my breath.
              Here is where I'm going to put my faith in the coaching staff. One thing they seem to consistently do right is put these young men on the path of success. If they stray they are no longer with the program. Seems like walkon is pretty low risk. He gets a chance to show something in spring ball and go from there. I welcome him and wish him the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Frankly, I don't give a damn what this young man did. Getting an offer from Mines speaks volumes.
                I have no idea what he did either. But I know many people with "book smarts" who have made very bad life choice decisions. The young man has obviously shown Stig and the coaching staff that he deserves this opportunity. But I am glad that he is walking on to begin with and will not be taking up a scholarship for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                  Here is where I'm going to put my faith in the coaching staff. One thing they seem to consistently do right is put these young men on the path of success. If they stray they are no longer with the program. Seems like walkon is pretty low risk. He gets a chance to show something in spring ball and go from there. I welcome him and wish him the best.
                  I agree, as a walk-on, give him a shot to earn more. Still, to be as freakishly athletic as he is and to be cut...it had to be complete mess in Montana.
                  One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Not really. This is unrelated to the student athlete in question or recruits, sorry for the thread drift:

Admission to SDSMT or any school doesn't really mean that much for athletes. I would guess most of SDSU's football team would have been accepted there (I could be wrong on that, but DI has tougher requirements).

http://www.sdsmt.edu/Admissions/Appl...-Requirements/

Admission Consideration
                    The School of Mines will carefully review and consider for acceptance applicants who meet the general education requirements and the following criteria.

Obtain an ACT composite score of at least 20 (or SAT composite score of 940)*
                    AND obtain an ACT math subscore of at least 20 (or SAT math subscore of 480)*
                    AND achieve a high school GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale*
                    *Applications from students with deficiencies are reviewed on an individual basis.

If the football coach wants a kid there, I would bet that is a big part of the review/consideration process. While these standards are slightly higher than SDSU's (18 ACT, 2.6 GPA) you don't have to be that smart to get into SDSMT as an athlete.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I agree, as a walk-on, give him a shot to earn more. Still, to be as freakishly athletic as he is and to be cut...it had to be complete mess in Montana.
                      News accounts from Montana don't suggest there was a big problem. The Grizzlies' first-year coach apparently pulled the schollies of several players recruited by the prior coach, perhaps to free up room for more of his own recruits. The departing players, including a highly touted QB, apparently didn't like the new coach's style. That doesn't strike me as very usual or troubling. College teams lose and gain players from transfers all the time.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        Not really. This is unrelated to the student athlete in question or recruits, sorry for the thread drift:

Admission to SDSMT or any school doesn't really mean that much for athletes. I would guess most of SDSU's football team would have been accepted there (I could be wrong on that, but DI has tougher requirements).

http://www.sdsmt.edu/Admissions/Appl...-Requirements/

Admission Consideration
                        The School of Mines will carefully review and consider for acceptance applicants who meet the general education requirements and the following criteria.

Obtain an ACT composite score of at least 20 (or SAT composite score of 940)*
                        AND obtain an ACT math subscore of at least 20 (or SAT math subscore of 480)*
                        AND achieve a high school GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale*
                        *Applications from students with deficiencies are reviewed on an individual basis.

If the football coach wants a kid there, I would bet that is a big part of the review/consideration process. While these standards are slightly higher than SDSU's (18 ACT, 2.6 GPA) you don't have to be that smart to get into SDSMT as an athlete.
                        True but let's disregard playing athletics for them. These are there minimum requirements. At freshman oriention they tell those kids something like 1 out of 3 of them will stay and graduate. The others will more than likely finish their education elsewhere. Throw athletic commitments on top of that and it is difficult to maintain the standards. Plus don't kid yourself just because the requirements are where they're at does not mean you'll be accepted.

All of of this is moot though, point is he's coming here for a 2nd chance and compete for the Jacks. We'll see how spring ball turns out for him.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          According to Zimmer, Parker will be a walk-on at SDSU w/ the potential of having 2 years of elgibility (since his scholarship was not renewed at Montana).
                          http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...list/78356784/
                          The reason Zimmer was lurking on this message board last night was so he could determine who has verbally committed for his story since he does no research on the subject on his own. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            The reason Zimmer was lurking on this message board last night was so he could determine who has verbally committed for his story since he does no research on the subject on his own. LOL!
                            Yeah a little credit to the board would have been nice.

Comment

Would that be considered a freebie?
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Isn't failing to cite your sources taboo in the journalism industry?

Filbert should pry email the Argus.

Comment

Working...
                                X