Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: EWU GDT

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
    I flew five days a week for three months while doing a detail with the Federal Air Marshalls plus having to drive an hour and ten min to get to the airport and back. At least twice a week two trips were over nighters. Flight times were never the same ranging early morning to late at night with short turnarounds. I felt no ill effects from doing this. Coarse I didnt play a football game in between but to blame going on a trip once a week with five days to rest in between for their play is the easy way out. These guys are in great shape and can handle that. They were outcoached ,out played in the second half and that stupid fake punt gave the momentum to eastern. How can you change the play and not have everyone know it especially the punter. Boneheaded, it did change the game. Running the same plays over and over. Not finding plays to get Zenner going. Taking him out, maybe for injury, he was limping, or to protect his 2000yd season. Seems every big game there is a fail. I was Pissed off all night. Hey bright spot, theres an opening up north for a coach.
    The effectiveness of the running game took a hit when Vevjoda went out with his injury. That moved Benedetto from lead blocker to tight end and brought in a fullback who hadn't seen much action all season. Makes one wonder how much better the offense would have been if a healthy Cam Jones would have been available. Even when he was playing hurt , he added another dimension to the offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      For a team that went 9-5 and made it into the second round of the playoffs in impressive style, this team sure had to absorb a lot of criticism this year, especially during the middle of the season. Appreciation is overdue. Thanks for the excitement this season, Jacks. Well done.
      For some reason I doubt the team is very happy with the end of the season. We did make it into the second round of the playoffs, where we were promptly bounced by a team that was beatable. I love SDSU and this team as much as the next guy, but we were either not ready in the 2nd half; or we are not deep enough to get past some injuries. The fake punt failure was completely on the coaching staff and it was a turning point in the game.

As for the 9-5, great year; yep. Frustrating year; yep. The losses to Misery State and SIU should not have happened. We were forced to dig ourselves out of a hole. Win one of those games and we aren't playing at EWU yesterday. For some reason Stig's teams struggle early in the year and never get rolling till the 5th or 6th game of the season. I'm not really sure why, but if it continues to be an issue you can expect that we will continue to have difficult routes to and in the playoffs. W

e have many of our top players coming back next year. The offense especially should be pretty hard to stop. I for one would like to see our school, and our FB program take the next step. I was hoping that it would happen this year. I will again hope it happens next year.

Just making the playoffs, or just making the quarters should never be our goal.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        For some reason the team is very happy with the end of the season. We did make it into the second round of the playoffs, where we were promptly bounced by a team that was beatable. I love SDSU and this team as much as the next guy, but we were either not ready in the 2nd half; or we are not deep enough to get past some injuries. The fake punt failure was completely on the coaching staff and it was a turning point in the game.

As for the 9-5, great year; yep. Frustrating year; yep. The losses to Misery State and SIU should not have happened. We were forced to dig ourselves out of a hole. Win one of those games and we aren't playing at EWU yesterday. For some reason Stig's teams struggle early in the year and never get rolling till the 5th or 6th game of the season. I'm not really sure why, but if it continues to be an issue you can expect that we will continue to have difficult routes to and in the playoffs. W

e have many of our top players coming back next year. The offense especially should be pretty hard to stop. I for one would like to see our school, and our FB program take the next step. I was hoping that it would happen this year. I will again hope it happens next year.

This team has a ton of talent. I have believed the last two years this team is just a deep threat away from being a force. Hopefully we can find one next season.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
          For some reason I doubt the team is very happy with the end of the season. We did make it into the second round of the playoffs, where we were promptly bounced by a team that was beatable. I love SDSU and this team as much as the next guy, but we were either not ready in the 2nd half; or we are not deep enough to get past some injuries. The fake punt failure was completely on the coaching staff and it was a turning point in the game.

I'm telling myself that if you're gonna be pissed about anything, its those two losses right there. Can't assume our coaches will will have the ability to come up with a savvy upset like this last game at EWU. The fact that we got this far by making the playoffs and winning a game is comforting. We were 4-4 and getting a seed was out of the question and playoffs looked very unlikely. I was pissed back then, now it's relieving really.

But if you take it back preseason the consensus was like 9-3/10-2. Probably assuming a playoff seed.

Comment

So in 2010 they started doin' this 1st round bye for X number of teams and then the other teams duke it out in the first round. The first round teams who won and went on to play in the second round are 2-10 against the seeded home teams who got byes. Georgia Southern was the only first round playing team to advance to the semi's, which they lost handily to Delaware.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
              I flew five days a week for three months while doing a detail with the Federal Air Marshalls plus having to drive an hour and ten min to get to the airport and back. At least twice a week two trips were over nighters. Flight times were never the same ranging early morning to late at night with short turnarounds. I felt no ill effects from doing this. Coarse I didnt play a football game in between but to blame going on a trip once a week with five days to rest in between for their play is the easy way out. These guys are in great shape and can handle that. They were outcoached ,out played in the second half and that stupid fake punt gave the momentum to eastern. How can you change the play and not have everyone know it especially the punter. Boneheaded, it did change the game. Running the same plays over and over. Not finding plays to get Zenner going. Taking him out, maybe for injury, he was limping, or to protect his 2000yd season. Seems every big game there is a fail. I was Pissed off all night. Hey bright spot, theres an opening up north for a coach.
              There is no way this can't impact performance. A well rested team is going to overcome adversity and we were not able to do so. There is no way travel can't impact college student athletes, they have extra academic work to get done before they leave, have to sleep in another bed, miss a whole nights sleep coming back from Arizona, etc. The score was 14 to 14 at half. We we're wore down. The good news is we will have a new indoor training facility that will be huge next year in helping get the practices in as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                I think our athletic dept is missing out by not hiring some of you people for coaching jobs. Whether its football or basketball. You all would certainly do a better job than the guys we have. Of course its easy to come on a a forum and critisize a play call when it doesnt work and say we should have done this or should have done that. I have a feeling its not that easy down there on the field. But hey, what do i know. Im not a coach either.
                I wanted to say the same thing, but given the fact I'm the enemy, I would just get trashed. Your staff guides you to 5 straight wins, then lose to highly ranked Eastern Washington in the second round, and to come on here and one up youself over the other idiots that claim to know far more, regardless of the sport, makes you all look foolish. Even if you should have won, to complain about a staff that has guided you to two straight playoff appearances, I bet a few of your players or coaches would love to meet you in a dark alley some night, and you could tell them all you know. Then dial 9-1-1

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  I wanted to say the same thing, but given the fact I'm the enemy, I would just get trashed. Your staff guides you to 5 straight wins, then lose to highly ranked Eastern Washington in the second round, and to come on here and one up youself over the other idiots that claim to know far more, regardless of the sport, makes you all look foolish. Even if you should have won, to complain about a staff that has guided you to two straight playoff appearances, I bet a few of your players or coaches would love to meet you in a dark alley some night, and you could tell them all you know. Then dial 9-1-1
                  I think we have some time to think about the fake punt. So uncharacteristic of Coach Stig, but the guy is fallible. He is not the Pope, btw. I agree about some of us saying way too much and knowing so little. Field position is something that Coach has protected over the years by punting on 4th down. A gamble that soured. I think the coaches and players need to communicate better and they will be the first to concede that point. The fake punt was a game changer in terms of momentum. On AGS, some of the Eagle fans have pointed out what a changer this play was. No doubt it was, but I proud of our guys and coaching staff and what they accompolished this year. A special hats off to Clint Brown, D co-ordinator.

Comment

If Stig and the other coaches are actually taking the time to read this board and get bent out of shape, then our team is in more trouble than we imagined!
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I think our athletic dept is missing out by not hiring some of you people for coaching jobs. Whether its football or basketball. You all would certainly do a better job than the guys we have. Of course its easy to come on a a forum and critisize a play call when it doesnt work and say we should have done this or should have done that. I have a feeling its not that easy down there on the field. But hey, what do i know. Im not a coach either.
                      My favorite type of post!
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        My favorite type of post!
                        Agreed,although i think yoteforever topped him

Comment

Your staff guides you to 5 straight wins, then lose to highly ranked Eastern Washington in the second round
                          I wanted to bash you (not really), but reading that^ and then looking at this, I understand your perspective. I would feel happy about that too.

Good post.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Miscomunication on a fake punt. Delay of game to start the 3rd qtr a delay of game after a time out. Those are just a few of the issues that show we were out coached. Stig has done a great job getting us to a top 25 team and making the playoffs and weathering adversity of challenging seasons but of all people its stig who should not find those acceptable for any reason and it starts with him. Last week our game planning and in game adjustments worked and we won. This week the coaching staff looked overwhelmed. Not a player issue.

Just like the 2nd round last year at ndsu. We gave um a good fight during the season up in fargo so I thought the coaches would learn and adjust from that game. If anything we were more predictible then ever. Same with this game. Honestly I think its lack of confidence in the coaches more then anything else. Guys who have never had high level of playoff experience like other programs so this is on the coaches to learn from it.

Maybe its just me but it seemed we had a lot of run 1st and 2nd down and pass on 3rd and long this game. That might work against usd and isub and we can execute it well enough to win a good game. The playoffs is a whole other animal. We are probably somewhere between 10-20 ranked team in the country. Will need a new Dline next year but its up to the coaches to figure out how to get us to a top 10 team. They got us this far so hopefully they can figure it out to take us further in the future.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think our athletic dept is missing out by not hiring some of you people for coaching jobs. Whether its football or basketball. You all would certainly do a better job than the guys we have.

I like the dynamics of this forum, the "homers" on here help balance out the "haters", so this board functions quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

The fake punt(!) totally changed the game. Gave EWU great field position and tons of momentum. It is Sunday and I am still shaking my head over that. I actually liked going for it there just hated the play. A play action bootleg would have been a great call there.
                                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                                X