Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HOBO DAY GDT

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Yeah lets blame Brookings High School, they are good enough to beat low life Harrisburg.
    Thread drift. Harrisburg beat Brookings on Friday.

Comment

Here's a thread drift for you. Also speaking for the people who jumped ship early to beat the traffic (I did not leave early). What am I missing on getting out of the "priority" lot west of the stadium? Park close to the stadium and have it take an eternity to get out. What a cluster-f@ck. There should be one lane of traffic getting out of that lot and not have 4 lanes merging into the one on the west side of it. It took me about as much time to get from my parking spot to I-29 as it did from Brookings to SF on I-29. Is going north out of that lot the way to go? This seems backed up from the tailgate people. Yes I realize it's going to take time to get 10,000 people out of one concentrated area, but jeez, this is not the Metrodome. There's a good project for grad school transportation engineers.

Oh yeah. And the game sucked. Everybody has b!tched about everything I had. Though I agree with booting the ball in the end zone from the 50. If somebody is going to screw that up, it would be their special teams.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
        Thread drift. Harrisburg beat Brookings on Friday.
        Yeah I fixed my original post. Who ever heard of the Harrisburg Tigers?

Comment

Just watched the post game vid of coach Stig today.I really enjoyed his openess he expressed ,more than usual in my opinion.His interview gave me further insight into the mind of coach Stig,and I came away pretty impressed.

He seems to have given considerable thought to our three game skid,and after watching him today,i have no doubt what so ever he'll find solutions.He has my vote of confidence anyway.
          We are 3-3 and haven't played a complete game yet(except Butler)Imagine how good we can be when we get it all together and play a complete game ,eliminating or significantly reducing our troubles. It makes me encouraged rather than distraught for the rest of the season.

We can,and under coach Stigs leadership,will be a great team yet.Adversity strengthens the bond between teamates,builds charachter , strengthens determination and desire to succeed more so than success does.It's also a much tougher bond for opponents to deal with.So,Let's circle the wagons,Stig style!!!....worked for Pelini

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
            Just watched the post game vid of coach Stig today.I really enjoyed his openess he expressed ,more than usual in my opinion.His interview gave me further insight into the mind of coach Stig,and I came away pretty impressed.

He seems to have given considerable thought to our three game skid,and after watching him today,i have no doubt what so ever he'll find solutions.He has my vote of confidence anyway.
            We are 3-3 and haven't played a complete game yet(except Butler)Imagine how good we can be when we get it all together and play a complete game ,eliminating or significantly reducing our troubles. It makes me encouraged rather than distraught for the rest of the season.

We can,and under coach Stigs leadership,will be a great team yet.Adversity strengthens the bond between teamates,builds charachter , strengthens determination and desire to succeed more so than success does.It's also a much tougher bond for opponents to deal with.So,Let's circle the wagons,Stig style!!!....worked for Pelini
            Great post, we need to regroup. I think many of the pundits gave us more credit than what we deserved and more pts in the polls than what we were worthy of. Maybe reality is setting in. Regroup, that's what going to happening. I don't think we will finish 3-9.

I keep trying to figure out what brand of pop Coach Stig is drinking. Is it Mello Yello, or is he drinking my favorite Squirt?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              I suspect the clock was a big factor in Jacks' kick-off late in the game. Kicking the ball through the end zone killed the clock immediately rather than let 30 or 45 seconds burn off the clock in a onside scramble and change of possession. The odds of recovery were against the Jacks. No element of surprise. SIU didn't have to station many players back for a run-back. They could crowd the front. It worked out OK for the Jacks. SDSU had a chance to win. They just didn't convert the fourth and 2, which you would think would be one of their specialties. It was a disappointing loss, for sure.
              Kicking the ball 10 yds. and the ensuing scramble takes 35-40 seconds? That's quit a scramble. Anyway from a risk/reward standpoint,imo it was well worth trying the onside kick.

Comment

I agree with jacked up and big ticket. They had 9 people within 15 yards of kick and the odds of getting that slim to none. Why try an onside kick and give it to them at the 40 and then they punt it away on 4-3 at midfield down to the 10 yard line. Instead we give it to them at the 25, save all the time on the clock and get the ball back at the 30 with a chance to win. Seems to me Coach Stig made the best decision.

Comment

It's not like our only play was onside kick or kick it out of the endzone. Why not try to pop one up and see what happens?
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

One tiny bit of questioning after watching Sigs post game interview again.Stig said about the Fg attempt that was blocked and what went wrong,Stig replied it was too low,he then said,"i thought the first one was too low" (I thought so too)
                    According to my flawed Spock way of thinking,I'm thinking,"why did this happen twice then,why wasn't it communicated to our FG kicker to elevate his kicks"(maybe because the first one was good...?)Is lack of communication the problem or failure to execute the desired elevated kick?Either way,this is a problem....oh well....it's all irrelevant now.
                    Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-06-2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                      Kicking the ball 10 yds. and the ensuing scramble takes 35-40 seconds? That's quit a scramble. Anyway from a risk/reward standpoint,imo it was well worth trying the onside kick.
                      The scramble itself wouldn't have taken 30-45 seconds. But assuming SIU recovered, they might have burned off that much time before the next play or at forced SDSU to use a timeout. I don't recall how much time was left at that point. It was seriously uphill by then.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        The scramble itself wouldn't have taken 30-45 seconds. But assuming SIU recovered, they might have burned off that much time before the next play or at forced SDSU to use a timeout. I don't recall how much time was left at that point. It was seriously uphill by then.
                        As soon as someone recovers the ball,the clock stops until the next snap of the ball. There was a little over 4 minutes left when he kicked off. All i'm saying is with the 15 yd. penalty it would have been worth it to try an onside kick with the downside being: we burn 10-15 seconds off the clock, SIU recovers and are at the 35 yd. line instead of the 25. I thought it was worth it to try to get the ball back in great field position.

Comment

The only good thing about this loss or any loss is that it forces you to take stock of things. Had we put lipstick on a pig by pulling out a late win yesterday, some stuff might have been forgiven or overlooked. No way that can be done now. Huge letdowns in all three phases of the game. To me, the sum of what we have is less that what it should be given the talent. That's on the coaches, plain and simple. So I hope Stig and Co. can right the ship. But, no, I'm not as confident as some of the rest of you. Ongoing problems...continue...unaddressed...some of them (special teams) dating back to more than a year ago. I look at the schedule and say, well, we should beat Missouri State. But I think we'll have to sweat out everything else. And if we play the way we did the last two weeks, Northing Iowa will come to town and roll us something fierce. So, maybe I need to let a little more time pass and reassess. But we're so inconsistent. You never know what to expect. To start, I thought the offense was going to be really strong and defense a struggle. Then, last week, I thought we had our defensive problems figured out, but the offense stunk. Yesterday, the crud defense returned. And the offense has regressed. And special teams remain an unmitigated disaster. So I don't know what to hang my hat on the rest of the way. Zenner, I guess. Trying to figure this gang out, tough, is pretty tough to do.
                          Last edited by JackFan96; 10-06-2013, 07:31 PM.
                          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Yeah lets blame Brookings High School, they are not good enough to beat low life Harrisburg.
                            What we need is another class of football.

Anybody else notice the clock didn't stop when Zenner caught the pass and ran out of bounds on our last drive? Hadn't seen that mentioned, maybe I'm crazy.

I also think its a little funny that half the posters in this thread call for more creative play calling, while the other half bemoan the fact we didn't run the ball for a 2 yard first down.

Pretty disappointing game on all fronts, IMO. I hope we can break 10K for the last two home games, but I wouldn't bet on it.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              Anybody else notice the clock didn't stop when Zenner caught the pass and ran out of bounds on our last drive? Hadn't seen that mentioned, maybe I'm crazy.
                              Fairly certain is stays running until you get to under 2 minutes (each half) in college.

"When players go out-of-bounds the clock will start on the referees signal as opposed to starting on the snap of the ball. Except for in the final two minutes of each half when the clock will stop until the snap of the next ball."

http://deadspin.com/5041480/explaini...ll-clock-rules

Comment

Anyone have attendance numbers for past Hobo Day games?

11,250 has to be the smallest in a LONG time.

I'm not betting on 10k for each of the last 2 games either.
                                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                                X