Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HOBO DAY GDT

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I was willing to give the 'rabbits the benefit of the doubt vs Nebraska and NDSU, but that pretty much solidifies that, we are not a top 25 team.
    Oh, don't worry. This new outdoor stadium will fix everything. The new stadium will bring better players, better coaches, more fans, louder fans.....this will all translate to championship football.

/sarcasm. Not ready to drink the Kool Aid.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
      Oh, don't worry. This new outdoor stadium will fix everything. The new stadium will bring better players, better coaches, more fans, louder fans.....this will all translate to championship football.

/sarcasm. Not ready to drink the Kool Aid.
      You are a brave soul/sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        Can anyone explain to me what the heck the coaches were thinking on our last kickoff?

SIU had a 15 yard penalty tacked on after the extra point so we were kicking off from the 50 yard line. Why the heck didn't we try an onside kick there? The worst that could happen is they recover the ball on around their 35 yard line. Instead our kicker goes deep and kicks it through the uprights and gives them the ball on the 25????? At the very least we could have tried a popup kick like we've been all season...

Also the end of the first half we decided to pooch kick it to their front line? 20 yards and they would have had an easy FG.

The special teams were an absolute disaster again today. It's so frustrating.
        That 15 yard penalty made it less likely that any kind of "gimmick" kick-off would have worked since SIU had 15 yards less field that they had to cover. They had 9 players within 15 yards of the 50 yard line.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          That 15 yard penalty made it less likely that any kind of "gimmick" kick-off would have worked since SIU had 15 yards less field that they had to cover. They had 9 players within 15 yards of the 50 yard line.
          A live hot ball on a muddy slippery field seems like as good of a chance to recover it as any.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I saw some errors as others have noted in the board. However, I didn't see the wheels come off the team as some seem to believe. There is work to be done, but we were very close to being 4 and 2. With the field conditions as poorly as they were, I'm honestly shocked there weren't more problems. I'm sure the poor field conditions played a role in some of the near misses and appeared to hurt us more than SIU. I was amazed anyone could get a field goal or extra point on that field.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              A live hot ball on a muddy slippery field seems like as good of a chance to recover it as any.
              Exactly. Worst case,SIU starts out on the 35 instead of the 25.Well worth the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by csgame View Post
                I saw some errors as others have noted in the board. However, I didn't see the wheels come off the team as some seem to believe. There is work to be done, but we were very close to being 4 and 2. With the field conditions as poorly as they were, I'm honestly shocked there weren't more problems. I'm sure the poor field conditions played a role in some of the near misses and appeared to hurt us more than SIU. I was amazed anyone could get a field goal or extra point on that field.
                Are still advantages to having the only grass field in MVCF?
                SIU had a very good FG kicker.

Comment

I suspect the clock was a big factor in Jacks' kick-off late in the game. Kicking the ball through the end zone killed the clock immediately rather than let 30 or 45 seconds burn off the clock in a onside scramble and change of possession. The odds of recovery were against the Jacks. No element of surprise. SIU didn't have to station many players back for a run-back. They could crowd the front. It worked out OK for the Jacks. SDSU had a chance to win. They just didn't convert the fourth and 2, which you would think would be one of their specialties. It was a disappointing loss, for sure.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

The way the Jacks were slipping around, I see no advantage, other than bragging rights, to having a grass field. And you can't brag when the field is a pathetic mess. Bring on the fake turf.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

• Re: HOBO DAY GDT

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      The way the Jacks were slipping around, I see no advantage, other than bragging rights, to having a grass field. And you can't brag when the field is a pathetic mess. Bring on the fake turf.
                      Agree. If you are going to stick with grass you better have the conditions and resources to keep it presentable. Nothing says "high school" like a chewed up, brown field. Put the turf in as step one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                        Agree. If you are going to stick with grass you better have the conditions and resources to keep it presentable. Nothing says "high school" like a chewed up, brown field. Put the turf in as step one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                        Yeah lets blame Brookings High School, they are not good enough to beat low life Harrisburg.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 10-06-2013, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          Can anyone explain to me what the heck the coaches were thinking on our last kickoff?

SIU had a 15 yard penalty tacked on after the extra point so we were kicking off from the 50 yard line. Why the heck didn't we try an onside kick there? The worst that could happen is they recover the ball on around their 35 yard line. Instead our kicker goes deep and kicks it through the uprights and gives them the ball on the 25????? At the very least we could have tried a popup kick like we've been all season...

Also the end of the first half we decided to pooch kick it to their front line? 20 yards and they would have had an easy FG.

The special teams were an absolute disaster again today. It's so frustrating.
                          Agree, agree, agree! That call of kicking the ball out of the back of the end zone made no sense to me. Pooch, pop in up, kick the ball on the ground and take your chances with pinning SIU inside at least the 20. Plus, earlier in the game just before half we line drive a kick and gave SIU the ball at midfield with a chance to score before going into half time! Special team play calling is really suspect.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Well, everybody's said most of what needs to be said quite well, I think. After sleeping it off, our offensive play-calling remains the biggest thing for me. I'm a hack fan. But even I figured out long ago that the odds of us running Zenner up the middle on first down approach somewhere around 85 percent. And if I've noticed, other coaches certainly have. No innovation shown in our play-calling None. Sure, our offense needs to run through Zenner. Of course. But let's change it up and be creative now again. The philosophy seems to be that if we hand it off to him enough, he'll eventually break one off. That's asking a lot week in and week out. It's flawed logic. Well, foolish logic, really. And considering our O line isn't dominant, well...yeah, we're just way past the point where we should be reassessing the approach.
                            Last edited by JackFan96; 10-06-2013, 02:10 PM.
                            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by csgame View Post
                              Well as easily as we could be 4-2 we could as easily be 2-4. The southeastern game could have gopne the other way.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                                I fail to see the big advantage of having grass vs turf? Hell, we don't even get to practice on our home field! I may be wrong and if I am someone will point it out - but, I cannot think of another team that does not have the chance to practice on the field they play on? Possibly soccer?

Bring on the turf. However I don't think it will happen until the new stadium is built first.

Tuff loss.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Working...
                                X