Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Too soon. Seems to be an advantage for us so hate to see it go.
    I tend to think the advantage has been in certain fans minds and is not a big deal. Yeah I know football is to be played outdoors. I do know the location has a high water table and you would hope that this is not a problem especially during a wet fall season. After all the construction is completed or nearly completed a drainage plan of some sort would be implemented, you would think.

Comment

Is it for sure going to be FieldTurf? I'd like to see them team up with AstroTurf for this. USF is putting it in their stadium this summer and it's soy-based. If we're gonna go turf, let's have it be ag-based.

http://www.usfcougars.com/ViewArticl...B_OEM_ID=26500
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
        Is it for sure going to be FieldTurf? I'd like to see them team up with AstroTurf for this. USF is putting it in their stadium this summer and it's soy-based. If we're gonna go turf, let's have it be ag-based.

It seemed that the turf inside the indoor facility would be the turf going on the outdoor field. That seemed to be the story early. My memory may be playing tricks on me...but that was some early info.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post

Yes same type of surface as is in the SJAC.

Comment

Thanks guys. I figured it was 2016, but I thought I would ask for confirmation. I can't wait to see what the new seats will be like this season. GBGBGJ!

Comment

Zimmer just posted a blog with lots of photos of the new stadium

http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...date/30082045/

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                I tend to think the advantage has been in certain fans minds and is not a big deal. Yeah I know football is to be played outdoors. I do know the location has a high water table and you would hope that this is not a problem especially during a wet fall season. After all the construction is completed or nearly completed a drainage plan of some sort would be implemented, you would think.

------------

I got this from an article from the Youngstown paper before we played them on Hobo Day last year. It is on page 3 of the Hobo Day thread.

"Getting ready for grass
                South Dakota State is the only team in the conference that still plays on grass — the university is building a new stadium that will have turf — and YSU is practicing this week on the grass field at Rayen Stadium.
                The Penguins have not played on grass since 2012, when they won at Pitt and lost at SDSU.
                “I don’t think we’ve adapted very well, playing on grass,” Wolford said. “We never do it. We don’t do any conditioning on grass, we don’t do nothing on grass. So that’s something that I’m going to commit to, practicing Tuesday and [today] on grass.”
                Williams played on a turf field at McKeesport (Pa.) High School, but he said he’s looking forward to a different surface.
                “I love grass,” he said. “Grass is cool. I played on turf all through high school, then my first time playing on grass was when we played Pittsburgh my freshman year. I loved it, though.”
                - See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/oct/22/bryan-ysu-must-get-physical/#sthash.bvxPVml7.dpuf"

-------

I also remember the NDSU fans complaining about the grass not being cut when SDSU beat them a few years ago. Their kick returner caught his cleat in the grass and he might have broke his leg.

I'm not saying that grass does or doesn't win games but some coaches, fans and players think about it. If Brookings High School didn't tear up the field, I wouldn't mind them continuing them playing on grass.

Comment

Grass is awesome if you have the climate/resources to maintain it. If it regularly turns into a dangerous, mud-brown, frozen eye-sore before the season is over you probably don't want it featured in the middle of a shiny new stadium. Bring on the turf.

Comment

Facebook pictures from Gage Brothers.
                    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7698632&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                      Zimmer just posted a blog with lots of photos of the new stadium

http://www.argusleader.com/story/mat...date/30082045/
                      From Zimmer's blog "Even just with what's completed already you can sense that it will be a much more intimate setting, and fans should feel closer to the action".

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. In fact, I would make the case that most fans are going to feel farther from the action as compared to the current setup at CAS, which is just one of the many reasons why I did not renew my season tickets this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                        ------------

I got this from an article from the Youngstown paper before we played them on Hobo Day last year. It is on page 3 of the Hobo Day thread.

"Getting ready for grass
                        South Dakota State is the only team in the conference that still plays on grass — the university is building a new stadium that will have turf — and YSU is practicing this week on the grass field at Rayen Stadium.
                        The Penguins have not played on grass since 2012, when they won at Pitt and lost at SDSU.
                        “I don’t think we’ve adapted very well, playing on grass,” Wolford said. “We never do it. We don’t do any conditioning on grass, we don’t do nothing on grass. So that’s something that I’m going to commit to, practicing Tuesday and [today] on grass.”
                        Williams played on a turf field at McKeesport (Pa.) High School, but he said he’s looking forward to a different surface.
                        “I love grass,” he said. “Grass is cool. I played on turf all through high school, then my first time playing on grass was when we played Pittsburgh my freshman year. I loved it, though.”
                        - See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/oct/22/bryan-ysu-must-get-physical/#sthash.bvxPVml7.dpuf"

-------

I also remember the NDSU fans complaining about the grass not being cut when SDSU beat them a few years ago. Their kick returner caught his cleat in the grass and he might have broke his leg.

I'm not saying that grass does or doesn't win games but some coaches, fans and players think about it. If Brookings High School didn't tear up the field, I wouldn't mind them continuing them playing on grass.
                        How did this game end up for us...I will not be too sorry to see the grass go. I believe the grass field advantage is a bit overrated IMO. The turf will look better year round and on tv for games in November or later.
                        "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
                          How did this game end up for us...I will not be too sorry to see the grass go. I believe the grass field advantage is a bit overrated IMO. The turf will look better year round and on tv for games in November or later.
                          A very, very good point!!! How did the game turn out for YSU, I think they won. Wolford lost his job. So some times it does not pay to worry about the wrong things.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                            From Zimmer's blog "Even just with what's completed already you can sense that it will be a much more intimate setting, and fans should feel closer to the action".

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. In fact, I would make the case that most fans are going to feel farther from the action as compared to the current setup at CAS, which is just one of the many reasons why I did not renew my season tickets this year.
                            Oh darn
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 07-14-2015, 05:11 AM.

Comment

I would expect the new facility to create more positive experiences and long term season ticket holders than disgruntled parties. The marketing savvy will need to matc h the quality of facility. It seems that the AD and company has been doing a positive job to match the coaching staff's success. Oh yes, successful teams will help after the newness wears off. It appears that there should be somje positive things going on at the Dykhouse football field.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

?

Do I dare ask what the other 'many reasons' are? I'm not sure what you expected. Keep CAS?
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X