New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

I've had season tickets for around 7 years (I'd have to go through the check register to see exactly how long).

I will likely buy single game tickets to 2-3 games a year (beef bowl, Hobo Day, NDSU/USD) instead of buying season tickets. The Athletic Department will get about as much revenue from me as before.

I have always taken a little pride in the fact that SDSU had a big tent. Anybody and everybody was welcome to be a Jackrabbit fan. It is looking like they will be happy to gather funds from the doctors, lawyers, business owners, "wealthy" farmers, etc. Are they turning their back on the Larson's, Rainbow, Daktronics, etc employees? There are a lot of teachers who attend games now, the prices being discussed are likely beyond what most teachers salaries would support. Do we have a waiting list 10,000 names long for season tickets or something?

I'm trying really hard not to talk about biting the hand that feeds you... I am waiting for someone to make a valid argument that these ticket increases aren't pricing a large contingent of SDSU fans out of season tickets. Maybe I'm naive, but I was hoping that the new larger stadium would make it financially possible for more people to watch SDSU games. Why not keep prices the same for season tickets and plan on drawing more fans? The equation is different, but the result should be the same.

Maybe this stadium proposal was a little too ambitious if it is going to take these price increases to get it done? I know, do what's right for you...
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I'm floored...FLOORED at the outcry about prices going up. What did you all expect? Did no one fill out the preliminary surveys that were sent out a year or two ago regarding ticket prices?

After almost ten years of buying single game tickets for nearly every home game, I did have season tickets last year for the first time, but that was only because SDSU has offered faculty season tickets at a discount ($90 bucks, and they waived the minimum donation) the last couple years.

I'm as happy as anyone to get out of the CAS dump and into a new stadium, but I knew full well (and said so on the surveys sent out a year or so ago by the AD) doing so meant I'll probably only afford to attend 1 or 2 games a year vs all of them.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        for a family of 4 for a 5 game home season thats over 100 bucks more. And thats the starting point, they are probably only going to go up from there. Add in consession costs and gas and its not really the most affordable family friendly event people can find. With out kids its probably not a big deal but for a family or bringing kids to the game, it does add to the total cost of going to games which with a family sometimes is rather tight on the budget anyway.
        First things first Goon, I admire you for taking time to have a family. Something I did not do and now am starting to regret.

Comment

I'm not outraged, just disappointed. I will just watch games on TV, GoJacks.com, or FirstRowSports (or similar). Why would anyone pirate content????

I expected prices to go up, just not to a degree people are talking about here.

Of course you will pay more for suites.

Of course you will pay more for box seating.

Of course you will pay more for regular ol' season tickets.

Do we have a waiting list of 10,000 people lining up for season tickets? If so, I have no problem whatsoever with the price increases that are being thrown about here.

If I remember correctly, the surveys didn't have any pricing information in them (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Ask all SDSU season ticket holders if they would be interested in box seats, and probably 80% would say "yes, that sounds nice." Ask them if they would want box seats with a 10 year commitment at a few thousand per year, I would guess you get a drastically different response. As I understand it, ticket prices are going up next year? Are all the wonderful amenities going to be complete next year?

Maybe I'm just a cheapskate.

Anybody care to load a pdf of the information received in the mail or point to a place where it is available online?
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            First things first Goon, I admire you for taking time to have a family. Something I did not do and now am starting to regret.
            SDSU is your family.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
              Final engineering, drafting, and the entire RFP process has to wait until after the bill is signed. That will take several months so don't expect to see any dirt moving for a few months. Without the emergency clause, those things wouldn't start until July first and practically the entire construction season would be lost.
              If I heard Justin Sell correctly during a half-time chat with Tyler during one of the basketball games, he said those details would need to be buttoned up for one final BOR approval during its June meeting. Without the emergency clause, who knows at which BOR meeting the final approval would have come.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                I'm not outraged, just disappointed. I will just watch games on TV, GoJacks.com, or FirstRowSports (or similar). Why would anyone pirate content????

Do we have a waiting list of 10,000 people lining up for season tickets? If so, I have no problem whatsoever with the price increases that are being thrown about here.

If I remember correctly, the surveys didn't have any pricing information in them (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Ask all SDSU season ticket holders if they would be interested in box seats, and probably 80% would say "yes, that sounds nice." Ask them if they would want box seats with a 10 year commitment at a few thousand per year, I would guess you get a drastically different response. As I understand it, ticket prices are going up next year? Are all the wonderful amenities going to be complete next year?

Anybody care to load a pdf of the information received in the mail or point to a place where it is available online?
                I'm almost positive the ticket prices aren't going up until 2016, when the new stadium is complete. I can't find the prospectus that showed that, but I'm almost sure of it. Maybe someone can help us out.
                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

I'm going to pretty much agree with SF Rabbit on this one (yes, we should probably mark the occasion by inscribing in the forum's stone tablets).

Taking the "premium" seating out of the equation, I have five (5) season tickets. I'm just fine with a $100/seat donation this year. However, when the new stadium comes around, those same seats jump to "club seats", and anything comparable in regular season tickets is a $300/seat donation. Move over a section? $200/seat. That is a substantial increase in donations, excluding actual ticket prices.

For those reasons I am seriously considering not renewing my seats this year since I know what is coming down the road.

I'm already on record as stating that I believe the admin has overestimated the support it will receive from new and existing season ticket holders. As others have stated, I expect walk-up sales to increase, but I still think we'll be playing 75% of our games each year in a half-empty stadium.

Can our fellow Bison posters chime in on their donation/ticket cost requirements?

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                    I'm going to pretty much agree with SF Rabbit on this one (yes, we should probably mark the occasion by inscribing in the forum's stone tablets).

Taking the "premium" seating out of the equation, I have five (5) season tickets. I'm just fine with a $100/seat donation this year. However, when the new stadium comes around, those same seats jump to "club seats", and anything comparable in regular season tickets is a $300/seat donation. Move over a section? $200/seat. That is a substantial increase in donations, excluding actual ticket prices.

For those reasons I am seriously considering not renewing my seats this year since I know what is coming down the road.

I'm already on record as stating that I believe the admin has overestimated the support it will receive from new and existing season ticket holders. As others have stated, I expect walk-up sales to increase, but I still think we'll be playing 75% of our games each year in a half-empty stadium.

Can our fellow Bison posters chime in on their donation/ticket cost requirements?
                    The donation levels are what I noticed as well, along with the cost of the club seats. I'm guessing I won't be in the $300 a seat range anyway, based upon priority points as I've not built up that type of cache, but will be in the $200 range. I wonder if my yearly Jackrabbit Club donation that I already make will cover that cost. It has in the past, so hopefully that will continue.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

NOTHING CHANGES for 2014 or 2015 except season ticket prices, right????

Projected season ticket prices are $140, $150 and $165 for 2014,15 and 16. 5 home games each year.

If you want season tickets IN 2016 you need to pick a seating area and donate that amount per seat in 2016 FOR THE 2016 SEASON ONLY (I think). For 2014 and 2015 nothing changes except the price for season tickets and single game tickets. Season ticket sales will be very much like they are now for 14 and 15.

If you want a shot at premium seats or to be guaranteed a chance at the best season ticket seats IN 2016 you need to get you letter of intent returned ASAP. You won't be sending any money just your letter of intent.

All of this is a PROPOSAL and not set in stone by any means. Things can and likely will change based on responses. Do what you are comfortable with at this time. If you can plan ahead and have extra money you want to give to support the stadium do it. If not, sit back and wait to see what happens. If you want to get into the stadium with season tickets in the future there will be opportunities. Of course, the best seats will go to the highest bidders throughout the process.

None of this affects the need to buy your season tickets for this year 2014. $140 for 5 games due by April 18th.

So, in reality. If you have 4 season tickets now and just want to continue to be a season ticket holder nothing changes for the next 2 years except the ANNUAL cost of a season ticket. However, if you want a season ticket seat in 2016 in the new stadium, you need to make and annual donation of $50-$300 per seat depending upon where you want to sit. Where you get to sit will depend on that donation and your priority ranks you.

The annual JRC donation is expected to remain unchanged through this whole process. It does not apply to any of the "stadium project seat fees". If you shift your JRC donation towards the stadium project that will VOID the contract.

Am I right? Does this make sense?
                      Last edited by jackmd; 03-17-2014, 03:31 PM. Reason: Correctness
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm being told the "premium suites" are one time donations. Season tickets are being "proposed" at the amount noted on an annual basis.

If I can't adjust my current JRC donation to cover this annual per seat fee I don't think I'll be a season ticket holder in 2016 and beyond. Its just too steep a price when combined with my basketball season tickets given that I get to only a few games and will probably get to even fewer in the future. I will have to decide. If it is fully deductible I may consider it.

I think they will have to reconsider some of the "proposed" costs. I'm not certain the SDSU fan base is ready to take on this much. Maybe I'm dead wrong.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          NOTHING CHANGES for 2014 or 2015 except season ticket prices, right????

Projected season ticket prices are $140, $150 and $165 for 2014,15 and 16. 5 home games each year.

If you want season tickets IN 2016 you need to pick a seating area and donate that amount per seat in 2016 FOR THE 2016 SEASON ONLY (I think). For 2014 and 2015 nothing changes except the price for season tickets and single game tickets. Season ticket sales will be very much like they are now for 14 and 15.

If you want a shot at premium seats or to be guaranteed a chance at the best season ticket seats IN 2016 you need to get you letter of intent returned ASAP. You won't be sending any money just your letter of intent.

All of this is a PROPOSAL and not set in stone by any means. Things can and likely will change based on responses. Do what you are comfortable with at this time. If you can plan ahead and have extra money you want to give to support the stadium do it. If not, sit back and wait to see what happens. If you want to get into the stadium with season tickets in the future there will be opportunities. Of course, the best seats will go to the highest bidders throughout the process.

None of this affects the need to buy your season tickets for this year 2014. $140 for 5 games due by April 18th.

So, in reality. If you have 4 season tickets now and just want to continue to be a season ticket holder nothing changes for the next 2 years except the ANNUAL cost of a season ticket. However, if you want a season ticket seat in 2016 in the new stadium, you need to make a minimum ONE TIME donation of $50-$300 per seat depending upon where you want to sit. Where you get to sit will depend on that donation and your priority ranks you.

The annual JRC donation is expected to remain unchanged through this whole process. It does not apply to any of the "stadium project seat fees". If you shift your JRC donation towards the stadium project that will VOID the contract.

Am I right? Does this make sense?

I plan to sign a contract for 5 season tickets in the $100 or $200 area. I can't justify spending any more when my kids are busy and I have no idea how many games I will get to. That means $500 or $1000 one time in 2016 and then the cost of season tickets each year ($160/seat). I don't know what portion of that "stadium donation" is deductible, would be helpful to know that. I will do a 5 year contract. Maybe in 5-10 years when kids are older and on their own I move up to club seats. I suspect there will be that option. If not, tough.
                          I thought the "one time donation" was only for premium seats (Suite, Loge, Club). I didn't think it was for the regular season tickets (2016). I didn't think you needed to sign anything if you were not signing up for the premium seating option. If anyone can clarify please do so.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            I thought the "one time donation" was only for premium seats (Suite, Loge, Club). I didn't think it was for the regular season tickets (2016). I didn't think you needed to sign anything if you were not signing up for the premium seating option. If anyone can clarify please do so.
                            That's the way I interpreted it as well, but I think one of us is going to have to bite the bullet and call the ticket office to find out.

JackMD - I think you should grab a cold one and really dig into the literature that was sent to you. I think you are misunderstanding some of it and may wish to edit your previous post.*

* Edit - As it pertains to the "regular season tickets" vs. "premium seating option".

Comment

With a 2 year old at home and another on the way, the rising costs have me questioning if I will continue to get tickets. When I first started buying season tickets they were around $100 a seat. Then they added a required $50 donation, now they are slowly raising prices, with it being $140 per seat this year. Add in the full day commitment to drive up from Sioux Falls, gas, etc. its getting pretty hard for me to make that work.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                                That's the way I interpreted it as well, but I think one of us is going to have to bite the bullet and call the ticket office to find out.

JackMD - I think you should grab a cold one and really dig into the literature that was sent to you. I think you are misunderstanding some of it and may wish to edit your previous post.*

* Edit - As it pertains to the "regular season tickets" vs. "premium seating option".
                                I sent an email off to Adam at the ticket office.

Comment

Working...
                                X