New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New SDSU Football Stadium Site Plan

It has the emergency declaration. Post 390 has a link to the Bill as passed.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      As to single game tickets, they've made it clear that the new prices will be $27 (low demand games) and $47 (high demand games).
      Well that is more than cheap tickets to The U of M, Utter insanity. Last I checked we are below them a division, and most folks in SD are lower on the wage scale.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        It has the emergency declaration. Post 390 has a link to the Bill as passed.
        Then they can technically start as soon as the Gov. signs

Comment

Some have wondered if you signed up for 10,7 or 5 years, what would happen if you could not complete your commitment. What struck me about this document is that its titled Letter of Intent, and is it a binding contract? Ten years from now I will be 82 and a big question mark for me is health. I don't plan on attending games when the weather is cold but we have our ticket exchange here so that will cure that problem. Being able to ascend to the club seats is another question mark. All this is said for a reason, and it seems to be in the Letter of Intent. They have used the word commitment and not obligation which would be a difference in meaning. If you buy a car on time, you are obligated to make your monthly payments or if you cant make the payments, you might get a visit from Ronnie and Bobbie from Lizzard Lick Towing. A commitment is according to Merriam-Webster Dictionary:
          a promise to do or give something. : a promise to be loyal to someone or something. : the attitude of someone who works very hard to do or support something ...

And so goes with the 10 annual gifts, if you have a reason for not making your commitment, SDSU is not going to sue you, but with fandom growing, they might quickly forget who you are and move on.

Another question I had was how binding is a letter of intent? In para 4 I read the follow: 4. I understand that this letter of intent is a legally binding reservation of premium seating options in the SDSU Football Stadium Project, contingent upon final approval and understand an official agreement. It goes on to say that you agree to hold SDSU harmless should the stadium not be built and that they might redirect your gift to other purposes such as scholarships. I think its a fair document worthy of my signature, and if I die before the ten years, I guess my estate will have to worry about it being an obligation, and if I decide to not give then I would expect not to receive any tickets in the mail. Fair enough for my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
            Then they can technically start as soon as the Gov. signs
            Final engineering, drafting, and the entire RFP process has to wait until after the bill is signed. That will take several months so don't expect to see any dirt moving for a few months. Without the emergency clause, those things wouldn't start until July first and practically the entire construction season would be lost.
            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
              Final engineering, drafting, and the entire RFP process has to wait until after the bill is signed. That will take several months so don't expect to see any dirt moving for a few months. Without the emergency clause, those things wouldn't start until July first and practically the entire construction season would be lost.
              July is soon enough for me. I know they have said how they plan to do the construction in the same spot as the existing stadium and the work would not interfere with fans attending the games in 2014 and 2015. How this can happen with out flaw is more than I can comprehend.

Comment

You make some good points here Nidaros. Since the Club area will be available for other uses on game day, I strongly suspect that it will be accessible by elevator so that ascending to the club seats should be quite easy for all but the most mobility challenged individuals.

It will be up to each of us to decide how much commitment we are both able and willing to make. You mentioned the selling of tickets on the ticket exchange. I wonder how much people will be willing to pay for club seats on the secondary market. With seats costing between $750 and $1000 for a season, depending on the length of the contract and number of games in a season, works out to between $125 and $200 per seat per game.

I should decide soon. The deadline approaches.
                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

You make some good points here Nidaros. Since the Club area will be available for other uses on game day, I strongly suspect that it will be accessible by elevator so that ascending to the club seats should be quite easy for all but the most mobility challenged individuals.

It will be up to each of us to decide how much commitment we are both able and willing to make. You mentioned the selling of tickets on the ticket exchange. I wonder how much people will be willing to pay for club seats on the secondary market. With seats costing between $750 and $1000 for a season, depending on the length of the contract and number of games in a season, works out to between $125 and $200 per seat per game.

The donations by themselves would never figure into the selling price of single ticket that I would sell. When you are giving close to 3 grand a year through Electronic transfer, that's my tax deduction, and if you were be totally honest to with the IRS, you would have to subtract that amount from you charitable contribution on your 1040. So I would want no more than the face amount of the ticket, or might even end up giving them away free. No biggy.

Comment

that's more than most NFL tickets per seat per game. if you pay more than NFL prices you're getting screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by KI DRIVER View Post
                      that's more than most NFL tickets per seat per game. if you pay more than NFL prices you're getting screwed.
                      WR said it right: "It will be up to each of us to decide how much commitment we are both able and willing to make."

I suggest comparing a per-game cost to and NFL game ticket is an apples/oranges comparison. A more accurate comparison would be with other universities...how much of a "donation" is required for the privilege of buying a season ticket? How much of a commitment for multiple years is required?

I do not know how ticket pricing works for the NFL but I have an acquaintance who has some sort of right to buy Vikings season tickets every year that was locked in years ago by some payment...and apparently it was assignable because he bought it from the estate of a long-time season-ticket holder. I do know a little about how season tickets were sold for the U of Minnesota's TCBank stadium when it opened and SDSU's approach is similar in approach although considerably less expensive (e.g. they pay a lot more for just parking two blocks from the stadium than one pays for good season tickets + parking + the "donation" at SDSU).

As is obvious, SDSU is looking for donations for the stadium which will help keep the bonding costs low and make the stadium produce more revenue over the years. We're generally consistent with modern-day financing methods for a new stadium at a public university. The taxpayers generally should not be called upon to provide the money so the burden falls on those who will use it and those who are in position to donate above the costs of game tickets. If the planners have it wrong, that will show up quickly in attendance etc. (personally, I think we'll find out the support continues to be there and by the time the completed stadium opens, season tickets will be at a record level --I think the response so far have been very positive).

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        WR said it right: "It will be up to each of us to decide how much commitment we are both able and willing to make."

I suggest comparing a per-game cost to and NFL game ticket is an apples/oranges comparison. A more accurate comparison would be with other universities...how much of a "donation" is required for the privilege of buying a season ticket? How much of a commitment for multiple years is required?

I do not know how ticket pricing works for the NFL but I have an acquaintance who has some sort of right to buy Vikings season tickets every year that was locked in years ago by some payment...and apparently it was assignable because he bought it from the estate of a long-time season-ticket holder. I do know a little about how season tickets were sold for the U of Minnesota's TCBank stadium when it opened and SDSU's approach is similar in approach although considerably less expensive (e.g. they pay a lot more for just parking two blocks from the stadium than one pays for good season tickets + parking + the "donation" at SDSU).

As is obvious, SDSU is looking for donations for the stadium which will help keep the bonding costs low and make the stadium produce more revenue over the years. We're generally consistent with modern-day financing methods for a new stadium at a public university. The taxpayers generally should not be called upon to provide the money so the burden falls on those who will use it and those who are in position to donate above the costs of game tickets. If the planners have it wrong, that will show up quickly in attendance etc. (personally, I think we'll find out the support continues to be there and by the time the completed stadium opens, season tickets will be at a record level --I think the response so far have been very positive).

I would say that comparing our situation to a Big Ten school in downtown MSP is nearly as useless as comparing our situation to that of a pro football team.

If information was provided about NDSU's or Montana's policies, that would be better. Still not perfect, as our fan base and demand isn't near theirs. Maybe looking at season ticket sales for Montana State, UNI, or Youngstown would be most appropriate.
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                          I would say that comparing our situation to a Big Ten school in downtown MSP is nearly as useless as comparing our situation to that of a pro football team.

If information was provided about NDSU's or Montana's policies, that would be better. Still not perfect, as our fan base and demand isn't near theirs. Maybe looking at season ticket sales for Montana State, UNI, or Youngstown would be most appropriate.
                          I didn’t state my point very well. Let me try again: First, I agree with WestRiverJack’s statement “"It will be up to each of us to decide how much commitment we are both able and willing to make."

Second, I think making a per-game cost comparison with NFL tickets is apples/oranges. I went on to comment that I have some familiarity with what was done at the U of Minnesota. I didn’t say that was an accurate comparison. I wrote “A more accurate comparison (not saying there would be anything accurate other than it be more accurate) would be a comparison with other universities...how much of a"donation" is required for the privilege of buying a season ticket? How much of a commitment for multiple years is required?” And isn't the SDSU information the projected costs in the future, not next season?

The U of Minnesota's numbers, for example, are much greater than ours.
                          If you want to make a price comparison to a particular university (such as NDSU or Montana as suggested) or even to the NFL, have at it. That does not address what we may have to do to build at new stadium at SDSU. When dealing with the general concept of how to charge for season tickets, I think what SDSU’s administration is proposing is generally in line with what is done these days. We cannot have the public kick in a bunch of money (as in the case of an NFL stadium) and we have to have a plan that works for SDSU and its fan base.

Everyone has to make their own decision on what they are able and willing to kick in.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                            Well that is more than cheap tickets to The U of M, Utter insanity. Last I checked we are below them a division, and most folks in SD are lower on the wage scale.
                            Our per-game seats are $20 and $40 right now, for comparison. I don't find the $7 per ticket increase particularly oppressive given the increased amenities.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                              Our per-game seats are $20 and $40 right now, for comparison. I don't find the $7 per ticket increase particularly oppressive given the increased amenities.
                              for a family of 4 for a 5 game home season thats over 100 bucks more. And thats the starting point, they are probably only going to go up from there. Add in consession costs and gas and its not really the most affordable family friendly event people can find. With out kids its probably not a big deal but for a family or bringing kids to the game, it does add to the total cost of going to games which with a family sometimes is rather tight on the budget anyway.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                for a family of 4 for a 5 game home season thats over 100 bucks more. And thats the starting point, they are probably only going to go up from there. Add in consession costs and gas and its not really the most affordable family friendly event people can find. With out kids its probably not a big deal but for a family or bringing kids to the game, it does add to the total cost of going to games which with a family sometimes is rather tight on the budget anyway.
                                That's understandable. You'll just have to do what is right for you. As others have mentioned, it will be up to each of us on how much of a commitment we can and will make.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X