Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Recruiting List

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
    I just saw on Twitter that Van Ginkel signed with USD. This guy will be the next Tyler Starr.
    As much as I like seeing local kids on the roster, I'm not surprised that SDSU didn't recruit Starr after reading this article (from Nov 2013):

http://siouxcityjournal.com/sports/f...6a2cf8aef.html

Last year, we picked up McCabe from Spirit Lake, and per TV's blog (a couple weeks ago): "McCabe was the biggest loss in terms of immediate impact. Stiegelmeier said the Iowan likely would have gotten reps for four years. To that end, McCabe wanted to go the juco route to see if he could play at a higher level."

It seems like recruiting is such a crap shoot. How many guys drop out, or don't develop to the next level? SDSU is building a successful program, so I have to trust our coaches' judgement. If we were 1-10 last year, I'd feel like I had something to complain about.

Van Ginkel will likely write a different story from each of these two, and I wish the best of luck to him.

Comment

I just know from growing up in NW Iowa and knowing the recruiting landscape, I'm baffled why SDSU doesn't come in here harder than what they do. The Western half of Iowa is so under recruited. Iowa and Iowa State may grab a few elite ones, but none of the FBS schools recruit this areas very hard. UNI rarely gets over here and there is no other D-1 school close. USD will continue to make a living over here and you will see their program change. They have a very good class of Iowans coming in. SDSU needs to recruit nationally in the skills position, but there are plenty of lineman, safeties, TE type athletes that will bring a work ethic and have high character. I'm an SDSU alum and I can see myself not going to games if I can relate to some area kids. Maybe this class was different and there wasn't a ton of talent in that 150 radius that I've talked about, but I see a trend that I don't like.

Comment

I'm one of those guys who rarely, if ever posts, but I check out the sight almost daily. I understand Bulldog's point-of-view as I now live in northwest Iowa. There are good players around here that I'd like to see in Brookings. I watched Starr and Gacke(sp) a few times while they were in high school. Both were great players. It seems there was a lot of talk about Starr and issues at the time. I think the Sioux City Journal article covered that a little bit. Also, if I remember correctly, Gacke was an outstanding wrestler who didn't compete in that sport his senior year because of 2 bad knees. Both great high school players and ended up being good/great college players. Any time a kid is signed, a chance is taken. I think there were definate question marks with both of these kids at the time. How many flyers can ya have in a recruiting class? In hindsight, both probably would have been great to have assuming they were even interested in the Jacks. I sort of like the guys we got.

Comment

Boo-freaking-hoo. Don't come then.

We recruit & sign the best possible players we can get. If our staff feels a kid from AZ is better than a kid from Brookings (or NW Iowa), then I sure hope we get the kid from AZ.

Starr's success was far closer to an anomaly than the norm, so it's not fair to keep pointing to the one example of a local player that went to a lesser foe and actually did pan out... Good for him, bad for us, time to move on.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Van Ginkle will not be an All-American & NFL prospect.

Comment

I just know from growing up in NW Iowa and knowing the recruiting landscape, I'm baffled why SDSU doesn't come in here harder than what they do. The Western half of Iowa is so under recruited. Iowa and Iowa State may grab a few elite ones, but none of the FBS schools recruit this areas very hard. UNI rarely gets over here and there is no other D-1 school close. USD will continue to make a living over here and you will see their program change. They have a very good class of Iowans coming in. SDSU needs to recruit nationally in the skills position, but there are plenty of lineman, safeties, TE type athletes that will bring a work ethic and have high character. I'm an SDSU alum and I can see myself not going to games if I can relate to some area kids. Maybe this class was different and there wasn't a ton of talent in that 150 radius that I've talked about, but I see a trend that I don't like.
            Let me preface this post by saying I know very little about Iowa recruits or USD's recruiting class this year. I can't really speak to trends, as I don't follow closely enough.

I certainly understand your position, as I share it to a large degree. I like to see local kids competing for SDSU. However, a quick look at the rosters would be a starting place for comparing the local recruiting efforts of the two schools.

Minnesota - SDSU 18 (USD 4)
            South Dakota - SDSU 26 (USD 11)
            Iowa - SDSU 7 (USD 13)
            Nebraska - SDSU 13 (USD 8)

SDSU has 64 players from the 4 state area, USD has 36. Most concerning for USD fans would have to be that SDSU has more than double the SD kids on their roster.

These may be old rosters, and certainly don't reflect the current recruiting class. But is it possible that USD signing all these Iowa kids is actually a correction of the previous coach's recruiting policies?

If a region is under-recruited by the schools that surround it, could it be a sign that the talent isn't quite as good as it appears? Or it might mean USD knows something the best teams in the conference don't know. Which of those two scenarios seems more likely?

With that being said, USD appears to be improving. This years recruiting class may help that effort. It might not. Time will tell.

Bottom line is, I'm happy with our recruiting class as well as SDSU's ability to attract and retain "local" kids. And I'm really happy we have been to the playoffs 2 years running while finishing 2nd place in conference play behind only the 3 time defending national champion.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

FBS coaches didn't rise to this level by not being able to recognize talent , and I would guess most would like to have local talent on their roster. That being said , if they continually have losing records , having a lot of local players isn't going to save their job.

Comment

How many FCS offers did this young man have? Is the USD signing a preferred walk-on? He may prove to be an outstanding player at USD and I'm sure SDSU is aware of him, but trust the SDSU coaches ability to evaluate talent and obviously they determined someone else was more deserving of a scholarship offer.

Comment

Do I want local kids, yes. Do I give a hoot if we don't get every kid from NW Iowa, no. We all know how we have done the past few years. We didn't lose games against NDSU and E Wash because we didn't have Starr or another other guy from NW Iowa. We lost games against elite teams because we don't have enough playmakers at the skill position. I think that was evident in recruiting more speed and skill positions, by nature that is going to bring us to kids from other areas. I want local kids, however once they are here all I care about is that they represent SDSU in a positive manner. Stig has stated that they want kids who want to play here. Question: who is one of the fan favorite players in the past 10 years, Jimmy Rogers. Last time I checked he was from AZ. By the way, the two times I saw Starr play, I wasn't that impressed. He is a very impressive athlete, however he had no impact on the two games we played him. (this is not an attempt to get Bulldog fired up, just my honest opinion).

Comment

So you are agreeing with me! Yes, you want some local kids. Yes, we need to recruit nationally especially at the skill positions.

I saw two Jack games this year and was not impressed with Zenner at all. The kid is overrated. NDSU he had 4 yds and Eastern Washington he had 71 yds. No impact on either game I saw. Starr was the MVFC Defensive Player of the Year. I guess the coaches are as clueless as I am to think he could have played at SDSU. And yes, Zenner is a STUD!

Comment

So you are agreeing with me! Yes, you want some local kids. Yes, we need to recruit nationally especially at the skill positions.

I saw two Jack games this year and was not impressed with Zenner at all. The kid is overrated. NDSU he had 4 yds and Eastern Washington he had 71 yds. No impact on either game I saw. Starr was the MVFC Defensive Player of the Year. I guess the coaches are as clueless as I am to think he could have played at SDSU. And yes, Zenner is a STUD!
                      Starr had the ability to play at SDSU, but there are a lot of circumstances surrounding whether a recruit gets an offer or not. I'm fairly confident you do not have inside knowledge to why SDSU chose not to offer Starr. I do like to see local recruits in the yellow and blue, but also have confidence the coaching staff is very good at evaluating recruits.

One more thing. I'm fairly certain USD is not out recruiting us. Records during Starr years below.

SDSU
                      2014-13: 9-5; Playoff Appearance
                      2012-13: 9-4; Playoff Appearance
                      2011-12: 5-6
                      2010-11: 5-6
                      Total:

USD
                      2014-13: 4-8
                      2012-13: 1-10
                      2011-12: 6-5
                      2010-11: 4-7

Comment

The only recruit who I felt like we missed out on was hojer to usd. I think sdsu offered pwo and if I recall he wanted sdsu but the schollie was to hard to pass up. I thought that was one sdsu dropped the ball on.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

So at this point, we can just disregard everything he's said right?

I watched one game this year. Your boy Starr had 6 tackles, 0 for loss, 0 sacks. Zenner had 150+ total yards. The year before, I watched Starr play 1 game. He had 5 tackles, 0 for loss, 0 sacks. Zenner had 180+ total yards. Two games and Starr had no impact on either one. My point? Your posts suck.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            So at this point, we can just disregard everything he's said right?

I watched one game this year. Your boy Starr had 6 tackles, 0 for loss, 0 sacks. Zenner had 150+ total yards. The year before, I watched Starr play 1 game. He had 5 tackles, 0 for loss, 0 sacks. Zenner had 180+ total yards. Two games and Starr had no impact on either one. My point? Your posts suck.
                            So because you watched 2 games you are an expert on an athlete? I really did only attend two Jack games last year. Zenner really did not have an impact on either game. But I'm a little smarter than you to say that Zenner is not a stud. I saw a small sampling against two great teams. My point? You are clueless if you don't think Starr is a heck of a player. I suppose he got invited to the combine because he's from NW Iowa! FYI - Starr isn't my boy and I've never even met the guy.

Comment

So because you watched 2 games you are an expert on an athlete? I really did only attend two Jack games last year. Zenner really did not have an impact on either game. But I'm a little smarter than you to say that Zenner is not a stud. I saw a small sampling against two great teams. My point? You are clueless if you don't think Starr is a heck of a player. I suppose he got invited to the combine because he's from NW Iowa! FYI - Starr isn't my boy and I've never even met the guy.
                              Lol dude.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

You said Zenner was overrated and a stud in the same post. Like the man said, your posts suck.

Comment

Working...
                                X