GDT: National Signing Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: National Signing Day

Looks like you have signed a lot of good players as well. That's great. Very athletic class.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
      Talked to his family tonight at the signing party at Champs. All 4 Dakota schools + UNI offered.
      The toughest part about FCS is who knows what each offered. But not trying to take anything away. Obviously all schools were interested.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        The toughest part about FCS is who knows what each offered. But not trying to take anything away. Obviously all schools were interested.
        Exactly, full vs. partial and were they standing offers or is it the multiple offers out for 1 spot, 1st person to take it gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          If he is like his father he is a good player. USD got a good one IMHO.

Comment

Talked to his family tonight at the signing party at Champs. All 4 Dakota schools + UNI offered.
            Interesting. I must admit I am curious as to the reason for his decision. Not sure why but I am. I am interested to hear our coaches take on it. Coach Stig will be in Yankton next Wednesday, I wonder if he would answer the question. Seems a little odd that he would not have been offered but also seems odd that he would choose a 1-10 USD program that doesn't have any certainty to be better over a much more successful SDSU program where his dad played. Perhaps it had more to do with his academic aspirations. Darn curiosity.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Interesting. I must admit I am curious as to the reason for his decision. Not sure why but I am. I am interested to hear our coaches take on it. Coach Stig will be in Yankton next Wednesday, I wonder if he would answer the question. Seems a little odd that he would not have been offered but also seems odd that he would choose a 1-10 USD program that doesn't have any certainty to be better over a much more successful SDSU program where his dad played. Perhaps it had more to do with his academic aspirations. Darn curiosity.
              From your seat in the ballpark I can understand why you would question this decision. But there are possible answers that may apply in this situation that as fans you might not like. One, is that the young man has a better feeling or likes the coaches better at one institution vs the other. Secondly, he might not want to be in his dads shadow, he wants to be his own guy. Then there's the academic reason that his interest in career choices, one school is better suited than the other. Then there's the 1-10 reason. Playing quicker might apply in this case. All things being equal, I would suggest it is a little strange he didn't choose SDSU on the surface. But kids are different today. Maybe SDSU offered a partial, and USD offered a full. Who knows.

Comment

From your seat in the ballpark I can understand why you would question this decision. But there are possible answers that may apply in this situation that as fans you might not like. One, is that the young man has a better feeling or likes the coaches better at one institution vs the other. Secondly, he might not want to be in his dads shadow, he wants to be his own guy. Then there's the academic reason that his interest in career choices, one school is better suited than the other. Then there's the 1-10 reason. Playing quicker might apply in this case. All things being equal, I would suggest it is a little strange he didn't choose SDSU on the surface. But kids are different today. Maybe SDSU offered a partial, and USD offered a full. Who knows.
                All thoughts that I had. I must also admit feelings of disappointment. I think he is a great player and would love to have him at SDSU. I am glad he chose to stay in state. Reminds me of a situation with another great player that chose USD over SDSU, Blake Hoyer. His dad was a great player at State and Blake wanted to go to SDSU. However, Jacks offered only a walk-on and USD offered a scholarship. Blake chose USD and had a great career as expected.

I though Coach Stig screwed up by not offering him a scholarship. Jacks had some other great LB's at that time but Blake was an alums kid and a SDSU fan. I know its about getting the best players for the program. I still would have liked to see both of these young men in Jackrabbit uniforms.

Oh well, either way, best of luck to him at USD. I am still curious about the choice. There is likely more to the story.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

All thoughts that I had. I must also admit feelings of disappointment. I think he is a great player and would love to have him at SDSU. I am glad he chose to stay in state. Reminds me of a situation with another great player that chose USD over SDSU, Blake Hoyer. His dad was a great player at State and Blake wanted to go to SDSU. However, Jacks offered only a walk-on and USD offered a scholarship. Blake chose USD and had a great career as expected.I though Coach Stig screwed up by not offering him a scholarship. Jacks had some other great LB's at that time but Blake was an alums kid and a SDSU fan. I know its about getting the best players for the program. I still would have liked to see both of these young men in Jackrabbit uniforms.Oh well, either way, best of luck to him at USD. I am still curious about the choice. There is likely more to the story.
                  Doc, I agree with you. If I was a Jacks fan, I would want him. My view is that you most always take the son of a distinguished alum with a great past history even ahead of someone that might grade out higher than that kid. In my opinion, if he has a Jackrabbit background, born and bred, or a Coyote background, born and bred, that's the logical choice. Selfishly, I'm glad we got him.

Comment

All thoughts that I had. I must also admit feelings of disappointment. I think he is a great player and would love to have him at SDSU. I am glad he chose to stay in state. Reminds me of a situation with another great player that chose USD over SDSU, Blake Hoyer. His dad was a great player at State and Blake wanted to go to SDSU. However, Jacks offered only a walk-on and USD offered a scholarship. Blake chose USD and had a great career as expected.

I though Coach Stig screwed up by not offering him a scholarship. Jacks had some other great LB's at that time but Blake was an alums kid and a SDSU fan. I know its about getting the best players for the program. I still would have liked to see both of these young men in Jackrabbit uniforms.

Oh well, either way, best of luck to him at USD. I am still curious about the choice. There is likely more to the story.
                    I totally agree, SDSU dropped the ball bigtime on Hoyer.

In the current discussion of the young man and why he choose USD may come down to where will he make a bigger impact. At SDSU he might blend in with such a good team. not taking anything away good or bad but maybe he sees more playing time and can help turn USD around. Some kids look for that challenge to forge their own path.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Some of these recruiting decisions may be made based on the scheme of the offense or defense (in this case). Some linebackers might be better fits in a 3-4 (USD) vs. a 4-3 (SDSU).

Also, I'm sure these player's dads were very good players. However, those were Division II days.

Comment

There are many things that factor into a decision both on and off the field.

Where does his gf go?
                        Where do his friends go?

What type of system do they run?
                        Do I see quality playing time in year 1, 2, or later?
                        Does the system fit my scheme?
                        Do I like the coaches?
                        Do I like the current players?
                        Who do they play?
                        Facilities at the school (weight room, training center, stadium)

Are the offers the same (full, partial, gray-shirt)

All of those things matter, and many times the full story never comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by csgame View Post
                          Some of these recruiting decisions may be made based on the scheme of the offense or defense (in this case). Some linebackers might be better fits in a 3-4 (USD) vs. a 4-3 (SDSU). Also, I'm sure these player's dads were very good players. However, those were Division II days.
                          Good point. And nice first post.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by csgame View Post
                            Some of these recruiting decisions may be made based on the scheme of the offense or defense (in this case). Some linebackers might be better fits in a 3-4 (USD) vs. a 4-3 (SDSU).

Also, I'm sure these player's dads were very good players. However, those were Division II days.
                            Welcome! Keep posting. Always nice to see new posters here.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome! Joeboo22 had a number of good points above. I did hear an interview that Stig did on the Ranch 910 a couple days after signing. He talked about a couple of the preferred walkons and said sometimes the SD high school coaches tell him that they are not sure if the player can play at SDSU. He emphasized that making that decision was the SDSU coaches job. I suspect there are times that the high school coaches feedback ends up negatively impacting recruiting whether they intend it or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X