Nebraska 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nebraska 2013

I hope you are wrong as well.....remember there was no need to run in that game because he had all of the time in the world to find the open receiever. Based on fall camp and what coach stig has said he has gotten a lot faster than the previous two years so hopefully if he needs to showcase that he can and will. Ya never know.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
      Their secondary for the most part is fine, but they were trying to cover for 8 seconds at a time. The problem was their defensive line didn't get any push. The linebackers looked lost at times. What made Wyoming successful was that the QB was mobile and whenever Nebraska tried to blitz the edges with their linebackers he would audible his own number up the middle. He did it 4-5 times with great success each time.
      We could use this,but instead,have ZZ next to Sumner and when Neb shows blitz,Sumner audibles and the center direct snaps to ZZ and off he goes up the middle,otherwise,regular snap and Sumner picks apart the Neb secondary.Well,maybe it wouldn't have to be a direct snap to ZZ (eliminating the risk of a bad snap),but rather a quick hand off.I think Neb will have addressed this though by the time we play them.Is this the old "draw" play?

I'm kinda like Stig,too many ineffective "trick" plays can dilute the effectiveness of your regular plays.It's always a gamble with "gimmacky" plays....sometimes they work, sometimes they don't,used when a little ahead in the score,when each down isn't so precious makes more sense,or when you're so far behind,it really is a fore gone conclusion and you need a morale booster

Another danger in the oppositions effective use of blitzes,it puts pressure on the QB to get rid of the ball quickly,so ,this enables the pass defense to cover their man tightly,they either intercept the pass,or freeze the QB,allowing their pass rushers to get the sack.We can't allow Neb to successfuly blitz our QB too many times .We have to run formations with adequate pass protection in mind.
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-04-2013, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Maybe I was a little dramatic. Sumner is not the most mobile guy. He did make good decisions when flushed from the pocket, throw it away, throw it where only your guy can get it or take the sack. He didn't "chuck and duck". My point, NU is going to do better against pocket passers than mobile QBs. SDSU always has pocket passers and Sumner if a prototype of that. I think Austin is a great QB with the potential to lead this team to a deep playoff run, maybe a national title at the FCS level.

I don't think SDSU is ready to beat Nebraska. I hope I'm wrong.
        I agree with your assessment of Sumner's mobility. However, I would say he has proven very good at taking 1-2 steps at critical moments to avoid the rush and buy himself more time.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          I agree with your assessment of Sumner's mobility. However, I would say he has proven very good at taking 1-2 steps at critical moments to avoid the rush and buy himself more time.
          Sumner doesn't have the quickest feet but he is pretty athletic though and can avoid the rush effectively.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

He seems to have quicker feet than the previous two years...biggest thing though I believe is being able to see the rush coming and know where to avoid it...seems as if he does a great job of that..I think well hope that our O-Line does as good as job all year as they did last weekend. I know games will get tougher but so will the JACKS.

Comment

I don't think SDSU is ready to beat Nebraska. I hope I'm wrong.
              I hope you're wrong too. I think SDSU is as ready as we are ever going to be to beat Nebraska, or any other FCS team for that matter. If we can't do it with Sumner and Zenner.........it is likely not going to happen.

Like I've stated before, if we can't go deep in the playoffs in the next 2 years with Sumner and Zenner we need to take a hard, hard, look in the mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                I hope you're wrong too. I think SDSU is as ready as we are ever going to be to beat Nebraska, or any other FCS team for that matter. If we can't do it with Sumner and Zenner.........it is likely not going to happen.

Like I've stated before, if we can't go deep in the playoffs in the next 2 years with Sumner and Zenner we need to take a hard, hard, look in the mirror.
                Any team can win any game on any given day or night. The Jackrabbits should go in there and play to win the game. It is hard for me to accept any argument that on paper I should be convinced that SDSU is better than NU. I don't buy that. The Jackrabbits will need to play a near flawless game and NU will need to make a few mistakes. It could very well happen and I hope that it does.

I hope NU drills whatever team is coming in there this Saturday. I'd like to see them resting on their laurels and not fired up after two close games.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Affirming my assertion that he is a prototypical pocket passer. He doesn't flush, he adjusts and avoids the rush keeping his eyes down field. This certainly allows the receivers more time to get open but it doesn't draw LB's and DB's off routes like a roll out scrambling QB can do.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I feel like people are underrating Sumners overall athletic ability. I remember watching him play Watertown in Region Championships for basketball his senior and he seemed plenty athletic to me.

He just needs to add about 15lbs so he will be able to break tackles easier ala Ben Roethlisberger.
                    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                      I feel like people are underrating Sumners overall athletic ability. I remember watching him play Watertown in Region Championships for basketball his senior and he seemed plenty athletic to me.

He just needs to add about 15lbs so he will be able to break tackles easier ala Ben Roethlisberger.
                      He can't stay on his feet outside the pocket. Only amazing athletes play at this high a level. Sumner is an amazing athlete he just isn't a great running QB and he is competing against a bunch of amazing guys on the defensive side. He isn't playing against Watertown, SD kids.

Comment

Affirming my assertion that he is a prototypical pocket passer. He doesn't flush, he adjusts and avoids the rush keeping his eyes down field. This certainly allows the receivers more time to get open but it doesn't draw LB's and DB's off routes like a roll out scrambling QB can do.
                        Maybe like a Ryan Berry like knows how to move in the pocket to aviod the sack but can keep the play alive by looking down field. Sumner sure seems more atheltic then Berry but that is something both of them seem good at. Which coincidentally Its Berry who Sumner will be breaking his record most likely this season as a Junior. Thats not to shabby at all.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Maybe like a Ryan Berry like knows how to move in the pocket to aviod the sack but can keep the play alive by looking down field. Sumner sure seems more atheltic then Berry but that is something both of them seem good at. Which coincidentally Its Berry who Sumner will be breaking his record most likely this season as a Junior. Thats not to shabby at all.
                          Exactly. Name the last "mobile" QB at SDSU. Andy Kardoes? I'm not taking anything away from Sumner. He is fantastic and I am very glad he is a Jackrabbit. He is a great player that has done great things and will do even greater things. As it pertains to Nebraska, I think they are better designed to defend against a pocket passer than a mobile QB like Wyoming has. That is why I think Wyoming fared as well as they did. Doesn't mean I'm right and doesn't mean Sumner isn't great and better than the Wyoming guy.

Comment

Exactly. Name the last "mobile" QB at SDSU. Andy Kardoes? I'm not taking anything away from Sumner. He is fantastic and I am very glad he is a Jackrabbit. He is a great player that has done great things and will do even greater things. As it pertains to Nebraska, I think they are better designed to defend against a pocket passer than a mobile QB like Wyoming has. That is why I think Wyoming fared as well as they did. Doesn't mean I'm right and doesn't mean Sumner isn't great and better than the Wyoming guy.
                            I totally agree, Sumner as was Berry were best when in the pocket, and I think your right with how the huskers not to dissimmilar then SDSU has a hard time with teams with a mobile QB. We typically defend pocket passers better then mobile and Sumner is gonna be an all time great at SDSU but Nebraksa is not to shabby either.

We got a few breaks last time we played down there and things still didnt go our way, would like to think if we had a better QB things might have been different so I like to go with the mind set that we are going will all intentions of winning the game. as you quoated Herm Edwards earlier, you play to win the game. This is a game where I wish we had those older linebackers like a shafrath and Tracy to deal with it and not all younger or inexpereinced guys. I think the Lines should do well boths sides of the ball, as long as we can make it tough for Tmoney since i dont know if i fear their running game. If there is a chance of an upset this is it..........Just like I thought when we played Michigan.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

A lot of great conversation on here, but lets focus on UND this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I was looking at the Huskers schedule this morning and our game still said TBA. But when i clicked our game , it said 1pm eastern time. So is it safe to assume it will be a noon game. We are only 2 weeks away, youd think they would know by now.

Comment

Working...
                                X