Nebraska 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nebraska 2013

I'm in for the trip to Lincoln. I just grabbed two of the four Section 21 seats remaining on Stubhub ($140 each). Seeing how Wyoming rolled over the Nebraska defense was the thing that sealed the deal for me. We might be able to move the ball on these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      You can see the infraction at 8:08 on the video clip by #52 (Andy Mink?) on the 52 yard line,"blocking below the waist" was the call.Extreme left of the screen.
      This must have been on my mind,but I saw the exact same thing in the NDSU vs Kansas State game,block clearly below the waist,wasn't called,yet it's right there in the replay shown of the game.It really bugs me to no end that sometimes the refs make a call,sometimes they don't.The SDSU vs Neb game had too many of these "instances" and
      involved too many points and stopped so much momentum that it's safe to say that the quality ,or lack of,refereeing does indeed affect the outcome of the game.That's a lot of resposibility that most ref's take seriously,simply for the integrity of the game itself,but they owe it to all athletes to call the game fairly,and not let outside influences,or their own predjudices be the determing factor of what they "see"Best thing,beat your opponent so bad,that it's taking the momentum killing factor away from the refs in the first place,and strive to play "penalty free" as much as possible(stating the obvious).....amen,end of rant.
      Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-03-2013, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I am certain I am not alone in wanting to know what time this game will kickoff. Someone needs to get inside the Big 10 media network and make a contact with someone in the know. The sooner I know this the better I can plan for the weekend festivities.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

After watching the Nebraska-Wyoming game, this is a game SDSU can win. The Nebraska defense didn't look very good and I think Sumner can throw against the Cornhusker secondary.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
            After watching the Nebraska-Wyoming game, this is a game SDSU can win. The Nebraska defense didn't look very good and I think Sumner can throw against the Cornhusker secondary.
            Keep in mind that Nebraska had 13 true or redshirt freshman play. Not special teams, but significant playing time. Hopefully their learning curve takes a while. Also, the week before we roll into town, the Huskers play UCLA. The week following our game they have a bye. This is setting up as a great opportunity to knock them off.

Anybody hear anything about a Jacks for Jack shirt yet? I'm really excited to get a couple to support the cause.
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
              While their defense is young and suppose to struggle early, their secondary was suppose to be pretty good. Didn't look like against the cowboys tho.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                While their defense is young and suppose to struggle early, their secondary was suppose to be pretty good. Didn't look like against the cowboys tho.
                Their secondary for the most part is fine, but they were trying to cover for 8 seconds at a time. The problem was their defensive line didn't get any push. The linebackers looked lost at times. What made Wyoming successful was that the QB was mobile and whenever Nebraska tried to blitz the edges with their linebackers he would audible his own number up the middle. He did it 4-5 times with great success each time.

Comment

I am sure the UNL defense will make strides over the next several weeks, but there's no doubt these are not the "Blackshirts" of the '90's.

A quote from today's Omaha World Herald:

For the fourth time in a year, an NU opponent has claimed a spot in the program's top 10 list of the best all-time yardage totals in a single game against Nebraska. A Wyoming offense that averaged 3.4 yards per carry last year ran for an average of 7.3 yards per attempt Saturday. And Smith, the elusive junior quarterback, had more completions (29) than he's ever had, and six of those went for more than 20 yards (the Cowboys averaged 3.3 last season).

Comment

Talked to a Nebraska alum and former athlete a few days ago and he was not pleased with Nebraska's 4th quarter defense to a Wyoming team that went 4-8 last year.

Of course, I reminded him of the last time SDSU played Nebraska and he says if Nebraska plays like they did against Wyoming he will be a little nervous about the outcome of the game. Since Nebraska football is everything in Nebraska, I want the Jacks to go into their house and beat them. Heck, there might even be riots if that happened
                    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Nebraska's defensive coordinator talked about their performance against Wyoming and he said the biggest problem was limiting the big play. The Blackshirts gave up 327 yards on 11 plays. Eleven plays from scrimmage eating up 30 yards at a time. The other nearly 60 plays were less than 300 yards. That is a ton of missed assignments!

The other problem the Huskers had was they could not stop the mobile QB. In the 2nd half, the moved a safety into the box to stop him from running and the QB did a nice job reading the defense and threw over the top of the safety.

With Zenner running, we always have the opportunity to bust a few big plays. However, we haven't had much of a down field threat since Moss graduated. Swing passes generally move the chains more than eat up big chunks of yards. Last time we focused on not turning over the ball and keeping the game close and short. Obviously, the closer we keep it early, the more pressure there is on the Huskers and less on the Rabbits. However, I do feel we have to be able to attack the zone behind the linebackers when they creep up the safety to stop ZZ.

I'm sure Eidsness will develop a game plan to attack these areas. The nice thing is we have a beast at TE and an emerging big WR who could attack that part of the zone.

Comment

I think NU is most susceptible to a mobile QB and backs that can run outside the tackles. The Jackrabbits have neither of these things. Huskers are going to get better. Jackrabbits are going to get better. Memorial stadium, 85 scholarships, depth at more positions and the Huskers are 30 point favorites.

The Jackrabbit OLine was great in pass protection against Butler. Sumner was able to hang in the pocket and make several reads. Any time he had to leave the pocket it was an adventure at best. I think this plays into the Huskers hands. I will be there to watch and cheer on the Jackrabbits regardless.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

How do you say it was an adventure at best? Remember that was the first game of the year....timing is going to be off a little. That is not an excuse but from what I recall there was really only two balls that were poorly thrown and there is an upside to that...that the defense was not able to make a play on them. I will take Sumner at helm over Thomas O'Brien anyday against the huskers. In fact i would take him over Taylor Martinez to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                            Their secondary for the most part is fine, but they were trying to cover for 8 seconds at a time. The problem was their defensive line didn't get any push. The linebackers looked lost at times. What made Wyoming successful was that the QB was mobile and whenever Nebraska tried to blitz the edges with their linebackers he would audible his own number up the middle. He did it 4-5 times with great success each time.
                            Yeah,the Huskers are really thin at Linebacker. The reason their D-line didn't get any push is because they like to play contain . That puts lot of pressure on your defensive backs.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                              How do you say it was an adventure at best? Remember that was the first game of the year....timing is going to be off a little. That is not an excuse but from what I recall there was really only two balls that were poorly thrown and there is an upside to that...that the defense was not able to make a play on them. I will take Sumner at helm over Thomas O'Brien anyday against the huskers. In fact i would take him over Taylor Martinez to be honest.

Let's not get crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by timeforachange View Post
                                Maybe I was a little dramatic. Sumner is not the most mobile guy. He did make good decisions when flushed from the pocket, throw it away, throw it where only your guy can get it or take the sack. He didn't "chuck and duck". My point, NU is going to do better against pocket passers than mobile QBs. SDSU always has pocket passers and Sumner if a prototype of that. I think Austin is a great QB with the potential to lead this team to a deep playoff run, maybe a national title at the FCS level.

I don't think SDSU is ready to beat Nebraska. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X