Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GAME DAY: Eastern Illinois

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
    It was fun to see SDSU put the smack down on E Illinois. The crowd was loud but the numbers were pathetic. I can't figure out how 15,000 fans show up to watch a very good football team play a lousy team the week before and only 4800 can show up for a playoff game. I know there are many excuses - but 4800. Give me a break. This team should've been able to draw 8000 w/out any marketing efforts.

Does anyone think ticket sticker shock played a role? I wasn't expecting to spend $100 for a family of four. I would like to thank the Rabbits for making it worth the investment.

Go Rabbits!
    Common sense says I hope we don't build a stadium in the future for 20-25,000 people. Is it possible that we could consistently fill the stadium and have the following that the Bison get? I hope so but I don't think so.

Comment

I was thinking about the blastic comments on Bisonville about our attendence yesterday. Some questions came to mind. What if The Fabluous Fargo Dome had never come into existence? There are several coffee tables fulls of old farts like me who sit around and bitch about sales tax penny paid over 20 years ago. Not everyone in Fargo is a Bison fan, nor do they care if they win. What if Dacotah Field was their only venue? I suspect their crowd yesteday would have been around 5k. Hosting playoffs is very new to Brookings, and it will take some time to catch on.

Comment

Went to the game yesterday with my wife and dad and we met a buddy there. This will be one of my best Thanksgiving memories. Everything went about as well for us as we could have hoped. I know we are a bit banged up but I really like our chances to beat the Bizon. I wish there were tickets available. Great game and to those that were there, great crowd!
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

It was fun to see SDSU put the smack down on E Illinois. The crowd was loud but the numbers were pathetic. I can't figure out how 15,000 fans show up to watch a very good football team play a lousy team the week before and only 4800 can show up for a playoff game. I know there are many excuses - but 4800. Give me a break. This team should've been able to draw 8000 w/out any marketing efforts.

Does anyone think ticket sticker shock played a role? I wasn't expecting to spend $100 for a family of four. I would like to thank the Rabbits for making it worth the investment.

Go Rabbits!
          Since 1973, how many FB playoff games has SDSU hosted? Zero, and yes we usually put the FB equipment in moth balls by Nov 15th. This is a new concept, that is being a host. Its going to take time to catch on, but its likely to repeat. Ticker sticker shock? maybe, but if we are 11-0 next year heading into the playoffs, I am sure we will have more than 4348 people at the game.

Comment

Go Rabbits!
            I don't think ticket sticker shock was the issue. Just my opinion. But most Jacks' home games cost a minimum of $20 for adults to attend. And I think $25 is probably more common. And, as we all know, even standing room for the USD game was $40. So to me, that doesn't seem like the issue. It was Thanksgiving weekend and a lack of tradition and general wussiness. We can change two of those things in the future.
            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Here's a link to the game story in the newspaper which serves Charleston and Mattoon, IL:

"Before the end of the first half, many were checking the records listed in the game program rather than wondering about the outcome of this game...."

http://jg-tc.com/sports/eastern/pant...9bb2963f4.html

Comment

Trevor Tiefenthaler made solid contributions this season as a returner and as a receiver. It's too bad he's out for the rest of the Jacks' championship run because of injury. The good news is that he's a junior and will be back next year.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Here's a link to the game story in the newspaper which serves Charleston and Mattoon, IL:

"Before the end of the first half, many were checking the records listed in the game program rather than wondering about the outcome of this game...."

http://jg-tc.com/sports/eastern/pant...9bb2963f4.html
                  Hope they enjoyed playing against the "corn-fed South Dakota boys." I believe I've read every word printed about yesterday's game...before and after. I believe this was my favorite quote: "Point spread's to big too even talk about weather. That football team's better than us." That's from Coach Dino.
                  Last edited by JackFan96; 11-25-2012, 02:31 PM.
                  Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by common sense rabbit View Post
                    Common sense says I hope we don't build a stadium in the future for 20-25,000 people. Is it possible that we could consistently fill the stadium and have the following that the Bison get? I hope so but I don't think so.
                    Again, you're not building the stadium for right now. It's being built for 20-30 yrs down the road.

At least that's what common sense tells me.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

And 20-30 years down the road State could have a student body of 20,000 following the Jacks.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                        And 20-30 years down the road State could have a student body of 20,000 following the Jacks.

Plus 30 years from now the SF metro will be well over 300,000 and Brookings will be over 30,000. Building a 15,000 seat stadium would be short-sighted. And yes it is possible to equal the following the Bison have, and it should be our goal.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

10 years ago if you told someone SDSU would average over 13k for football games a lot of people would have called you insane being that we were probably averaging about 4k at the time.

Some people are saying build it for 20 to 30 years down the road, but I think it'll take far less time than that (if we get the stadium built) to reach 20k attendance on average. People forget that our market potential is bigger than most schools because we don't have the competition other schools have fans. Throw in our campus's consistent growth as well as the Sioux Falls metro's growth and we'll have the population to draw from to make it happen.

Build it, and they will come.
                          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                          - Steven Wright

Comment

You don't want to build it too small, yeah 15000 is generally the barrier today, but some of that is because of lack of quality seating, some fans don't want to stand, or don't want to sit on the wood bleachers, etc. So I'd build bigger then 15K, I'd like to see something with 18K today, with easy expansion ability to 25K. How that is done? IDK. I do agree though if you build it too large and your playing in front of 50% crowds week in and week out, even though the crowd is average, would not be good. But you do have to look at the future. 30 years ago I'm sure USD thought the dome was large enough, but I'm betting today they would have made it larger. Looking back you have to give SDSU some credit building the stadium they did with CAS,

Comment

Originally posted by common sense rabbit View Post
                              A 25,000 seat stadium is crazy thinking just like the people that said SDSU could compete at the DI level.

Attendance Has nearly tripled with the move up and we average 13,000 in a 10,000 seat stadium equipped with amenities to handle about 5000 comfortably. It's time for a major upgrade, anything less would be shortsighted and lacking in common sense.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                You don't want to build it too small, yeah 15000 is generally the barrier today, but some of that is because of lack of quality seating, some fans don't want to stand, or don't want to sit on the wood bleachers, etc. So I'd build bigger then 15K, I'd like to see something with 18K today, with easy expansion ability to 25K. How that is done? IDK. I do agree though if you build it too large and your playing in front of 50% crowds week in and week out, even though the crowd is average, would not be good. But you do have to look at the future. 30 years ago I'm sure USD thought the dome was large enough, but I'm betting today they would have made it larger. Looking back you have to give SDSU some credit building the stadium they did with CAS,
                                That's what I think. (Not that I call the shots) Build it for 17-18,000. Then have a legitimate plan for an expansion of roughly 5,000 if need be. The expansion would basically be an extension of the east portion, so that it would mirror the west side's size. You wouldn't run the risk of the place being half filled and also you would have a good reaction if the fan base started to over crowd the 17-18,000. I don't believe the theory of building the huge stadium and then the fans will come. More fans won't flock because of an improved stadium, some will, but mostly it would be due to other factors. Factors that can't be known right now, therefore you build it for a modest size with legit breathing room to expand if needed. Can't go wrong with that...

Comment

Working...
                                X