GAME DAY: Eastern Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GAME DAY: Eastern Illinois

So much for hosting in the future. Kinda hard to put a bid in to embarrass yourselves and lose money.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      So much for hosting in the future. Kinda hard to put a bid in to embarrass yourselves and lose money.
      Did they lose money though? The minimum bid is $30,000. If State put in a bid of $75,000? and sold 4,300 tickets at $25/ticket, they have $107,500 in sales. Take away $20,000 in tickets given away and cheaper student tickets and it's not as bad. Also, there has to be seats that were sold and not used.

I agree that it was pathetic as I saw it in person, but it may not be as bad as one thinks. We'll never know unless the bid becomes public as it could have been for $200,000 too. Who knows.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        Did they lose money though? The minimum bid is $30,000. If State put in a bid of $75,000? and sold 4,300 tickets at $25/ticket, they have $107,500 in sales. Take away $20,000 in tickets given away and cheaper student tickets and it's not as bad. Also, there has to be seats that were sold and not used.

I agree that it was pathetic as I saw it in person, but it may not be as bad as one thinks. We'll never know unless the bid becomes public.
        I'm pretty sure the NCAA gets a big portion of that $$$
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

A big portion of ticket sales? I did not know that.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
            A big portion of ticket sales? I did not know that.
            I'm not sure if it's a portion of the ticket sales or a guaranteed amount set forth in your bid...anyone know for sure??

Comment

I'm not sure if it's a portion of the ticket sales or a guaranteed amount set forth in your bid...anyone know for sure??
              I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if it isn't set up as a percentage split between NCAA and host school, with the NCAA guaranteed the first X thousand of the bid. The minimum was $30,000...I don't know what our bid was, but it was certainly more than that. However, if we got enough to make the guarantee, it wouldn't seem like we would lose money.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if it isn't set up as a percentage split between NCAA and host school, with the NCAA guaranteed the first X thousand of the bid. The minimum was $30,000...I don't know what our bid was, but it was certainly more than that. However, if we got enough to make the guarantee, it wouldn't seem like we would lose money.
                Good point. What other costs go into hosting a game other than the bid and the portion the NCAA gets. Did we have to pay for any of EIU's travel costs? Additional money for game day help? Additional property or other insurance costs associated with a 6th home game? etc, etc.

Comment

If we can pull one off in Fargo, don't be surprised if we are hosting either New Hampshire/Wofford in the 3rd round. And if we do end up with that home game, it'll be amazing how many more people will be there than yesterday. To reiterate from a previous post: Thanksgiving Weekend is a terrible draw for all FCS teams, not just SDSU.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Good point. What other costs go into hosting a game other than the bid and the portion the NCAA gets. Did we have to pay for any of EIU's travel costs? Additional money for game day help? Additional property or other insurance costs associated with a 6th home game? etc, etc.
                    Those are good questions. I would assume that the travel costs are paid out of the NCAA's FCS budget, which would include the bid guarantees for home games in the playoffs. But then, I'm just guessing.

Comment

• Re: GAME DAY: Eastern Illinois

70% I believe. NCAA pays for team travel, part of the reason Jacks are headed to Fargo by bus. Bid was funded by a donor and was about setting a precedent. SDSU wants to host playoff games. The money part is certainly a consideration but not the primary issue.

Campus was closed, holiday plans were in place well ahead of the game and the weather wasn't perfect. Crowd was small but vigorous in their enthusiasm. Atmosphere was good to great and the Jackrabbits played with great heart and purpose. It was a great day for SDSU and SD. Let's do it again, soon.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The attendance figures for all first round playoffs game since the FCS went to 20 teams.

2011: James Madison at Eastern Kentucky: 2,388
                        2012: Colgate at Wagner: 3,032 (Only holds 3,300)
                        2012: Eastern Illinois at South Dakota State: 4,367
                        2011: Western Illinois at Coastal Carolina: 4,556
                        2012: Villanova at Stony Brook: 4,905
                        2012: Coastal Carolina at Bethune-Cookman: 5,465
                        2010: Lehigh at Northern Iowa: 5,990
                        2012: Central Arkansas at Tennessee Tech: 6,115
                        2012: Albany at Stony Brook: 8,286
                        2010: South Carolina State at Georgia Southern: 10,214
                        2010: Robert Morris at North Dakota State: 12,202
                        2011: Norfolk State at Old Dominion: 19,818
                        Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                        Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

I am sorry i could not attend as my family was away for thanksgiving! Very sorry to hear that Tief is out with a broken collarbone. He was just coming into his own but hopefully he comes back next year ready to go! Congrats to the team and coaching staff for putting themselves in this position, a position with a truly legitimate chance to beat the bison!

Comment

I don't think the small crowd will hamper us from hosting in the future. I also heard that part of the bid was covered by a private donation. However, that said it was embarrasing to have less than 5000 in attendance. I am sure 20,000 fans are telling their friends that they were there.

To the fans that were there "awesome"! To the Jacks fans that stayed home "shame on you"! The first ever FCA playoff game in Brookings! Should have been 10,000+. If you did not show - you missed one hell of an effort by the Jacks.

GBGBGJ

Comment

It was fun to see SDSU put the smack down on E Illinois. The crowd was loud but the numbers were pathetic. I can't figure out how 15,000 fans show up to watch a very good football team play a lousy team the week before and only 4800 can show up for a playoff game. I know there are many excuses - but 4800. Give me a break. This team should've been able to draw 8000 w/out any marketing efforts.

Does anyone think ticket sticker shock played a role? I wasn't expecting to spend $100 for a family of four. I would like to thank the Rabbits for making it worth the investment.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

The 4300 or so attending can be happy in that they were part of the few that saw something very special yesterday. Tell your friends an family about it, brag. Next time your friends and family will want to come along.
                                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
                                X