Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: YSU game day thread

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
    Very disapointed that the fans left so early. a third of the West Side was easily gone by the start of the third quarter. I would say half was gone by the start of the 4th quarter. The East side had thinned out considerably two. We have way to main "fair weather" fans. This is not good when you have to bid to host playoff games.

Im sure people would have stayed at it not been 35-7 at halftime and it was starting to get colder. We watched the pride and left. We were meeting some friends in Flandreau and decided to leave at halftime. Had the game been close, we would have stayed.

Comment

Agreed. I figured, given the lead at halftime, we'd see a mass exodus. And the TD at the end of the half assured that. The cool weather and prospect of Hobo Day celebrations meant many folks were going to bolt...though I wish they hadn't. We had 14,966 in the stands at kickoff. That's what mattered most.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

No one has commented on the final "series" in the game. SDSU had the ball on about the 1 or 2 and there were about 2 minutes on the clock. We took knees three times and let the clock expire...cost us two or maybe three negative yards! How many teams with 2 minutes let would have punched it in? My initial reaction on the first knee was: too much time, punch it in but I quickly changed my opinion. It was a class move. Another TD wouldn't have done anything except change the score and caused insult to a good football team, its coaches, and fans. Good job, Stig.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          No one has commented on the final "series" in the game. SDSU had the ball on about the 1 or 2 and there were about 2 minutes on the clock. We took knees three times and let the clock expire...cost us two or maybe three negative yards! How many teams with 2 minutes let would have punched it in? My initial reaction on the first knee was: too much time, punch it in but I quickly changed my opinion. It was a class move. Another TD wouldn't have done anything except change the score and caused insult to a good football team, its coaches, and fans. Good job, Stig.
          I was fine with taking a knee. That said, if we would have thrown for a td,i would have been fine with that too. I'm ok with playing to the final second no matter which side of it we're on

Comment

2 ways to look at it. First taking a knee means no worry about injuries when guys get dinged up weekly so keeps guys from a freak injury when we need to keep as much depth as you can. Second point it would have been great for the 2nd stringers to try to run the offense and maybe get some confidence in and vauleable play time no matter the time left or score. I will support the coaches in that situation. Plus I feel its a respect thing too. Like we beat ya and it was a good game but we aren't going to try to rub it in. However if it was usd or ndsu or uni I probably wouldn't mind to get the extra score.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think most "classy" coaches would do what Stig did. But not all coaches fall into that group - remember Finkbeiner having the ORU women chucking up threes in the last few seconds when way ahead ? What did surprise me was putting Sumner back in to take the knee after Kline had QB'ed the series before that.

Comment

Agreed. I heard allot of comments of upset fans toward the coaches. I second that decision the coaches made. as it was said earlier there, is no point in risking injuries!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  I think most "classy" coaches would do what Stig did. But not all coaches fall into that group - remember Finkbeiner having the ORU women chucking up threes in the last few seconds when way ahead ? What did surprise me was putting Sumner back in to take the knee after Kline had QB'ed the series before that.
                  Victory formation is the best part of the game and he probably wanted to be a part of it. I remember doing this when I played in HS. It feels good to be out there facing your opponent with the game won.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

UNI took a knee inside the 10 last week. Its a classy move.

I remember a couple years ago Stig punched one in on that type of situation to get a program running back a touchdown (Duffy maybe). In the postgame, he felt pretty bad about it. I don't expect to ever see us punching in touchdowns with comfortable leads late in the game.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I would second the "Good Job, Stig. I dont know if you caught TV blog and the video of Coach Wofford YSU coach. The one press guy was having trouble with the pronoucation of Stig full name, and Wofford corrected him and followed up with the comment that he had a lot of respect for Coach Stigelmeier. My guess Coach Stig might never have watch this video, but this is true to his character of wanting to win, but never by a wide margin unless its unavoidable. This time it was avoidable by taking the knee.

Comment

There is ONE coach, for sure, who would have punched it in: The Tampa Bay Buccanneers coach, the guy who has his guys clawing and scratching and submarining when the other team is in the victory formation, thereby drawing the ire of every other coach and player in the league, and even that of his own players.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          There is ONE coach, for sure, who would have punched it in: The Tampa Bay Buccanneers coach, the guy who has his guys clawing and scratching and submarining when the other team is in the victory formation, thereby drawing the ire of every other coach and player in the league, and even that of his own players.
                          I love love love Greg Schiano's mentality. Tampa Bay would be pretty pathetic if Schiano wasn't there. Also, back in Rutgers he caused fumbles rushing the kneel down formation. It isn't any more illegal than rushing a FG.
                          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                            yeah butt, the NFL guys are dialing for dollars all the time. They could care less about their opponents. Some of our college coaches on the other hand do have morals and respect their opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              UNI took a knee inside the 10 last week. Its a classy move.

I remember a couple years ago Stig punched one in on that type of situation to get a program running back a touchdown (Duffy maybe). In the postgame, he felt pretty bad about it. I don't expect to ever see us punching in touchdowns with comfortable leads late in the game.
                              I guess I don't have a problem if its that type of situation and its that close to the endzone and its running the ball, now if your flinging it all over the field up 35 with less then 5 minutes then I completely understand but I don't think too many coaches would have a huge problem if you have upper class back ups getting carries in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                                I love love love Greg Schiano's mentality. Tampa Bay would be pretty pathetic if Schiano wasn't there. Also, back in Rutgers he caused fumbles rushing the kneel down formation. It isn't any more illegal than rushing a FG.
                                So you're saying he'd have run up the score under the same mentality in the situation Stig was in, and you are okay with that?

Comment

Working...
                                X