Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Signing Day: GDT

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
    That's an anomoly for DII football even. There's no reason to be bringing in that many guys unless there's been some attrition in the ranks. I know how DII recruiting is...not that different from FBS. You bring in mid-20 number of recruits and hope that some pan out over the long haul. But 34!!!!!! That's something else.
    You would probably know better then me, but it just seemed like me that the lower ranks (especially private schools) seem to bring in more kids on recruiting day then the others. Now whether or not that is because they can offer other forms of financial aid or if its because the cost causes more turnover I'm not sure. Yes 34 is abnormally large, I was getting at that D-II and NAIA seems to bring in larger classes then D-I schools.

Northern inked 39

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
      Interesting thread on Mike Shoff from the Husker board.Some of their fans have been pretty high on him for a few years now.http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php...ol-mike-shoff/
      I would personally like to thank the mods and others for keeping thread drift to a minimum on our board. While there was some good info and some entertaining banter, I just wasted nearly an hour of time reading to get about 5 minutes worth of info on Shoff. I could have done so many more useful things, and my wife thinks so too.Oops, I just added thread drift, complaining about thread drift!

Comment

I've been critical of the KWSN guys from the day I first accidentally tuned in and heard Mike and Craig berating Fred Oien and President Miller for ruining college athletics in SD by going DI. I even made the mistake of calling in and trying to reason with them. I think Mike H. does a nice job covering local sports at the high school and even semi pro level. They should leave college athletics alone, absolutely no credibility when they give their opinions about it.

Does anyone know if either went to a university or have college degrees? This is simply a question, please don't read anymore into it than that.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          I've been critical of the KWSN guys from the day I first accidentally tuned in and heard Mike and Craig berating Fred Oien and President Miller for ruining college athletics in SD by going DI. I even made the mistake of calling in and trying to reason with them. I think Mike H. does a nice job covering local sports at the high school and even semi pro level. They should leave college athletics alone, absolutely no credibility when they give their opinions about it.

Does anyone know if either went to a university or have college degrees? This is simply a question, please don't read anymore into it than that.
          I've never been a fan of this show and I made my observation by myself. These guys are probably about as bad as it gets considering they're supposed to be the major radio broadcast in Sioux Falls. My old roomate, and still best friend, loves listening to these two, but he just likes to follow all the high school athletics around SD (his little brother was in HS so nothing wrong with that). I'm not from SD so I don't really care too much about it because they are absolutely clueless when it comes to anything outside of SD high school athletics. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've listened to them. One time I called in to stick up for Nagy about 5 years ago when I was listening to it with my roomate in the car and the other few times I tuned in to listen to Stu's views. I follow Stu on twitter and he'll usually say when he's going on the show and what he's talking about.

As for Craig Mattick, he went to Brown College from 1977-1978. It makes me disappointed to say that he grew up in Minnesota.

As for Chris, I don't know his last name so I can't look anything up.
          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            FYI, Craig's Bio:
            CRAIG MATTICK joined KWSN in 1997 and is a 30-year veteran of radio, a 23-year veteran in the Sioux Falls media, and winner of more broadcasting awards than you can imagine. He is the program director at KWSN and the creator/executive producer of Sports Talk, which hit the airwaves when KWSN became an all-sports format in 2001.
            Craig was honored by the Northwest Broadcast News Association and the South Dakota Associated Press for his 2008 work on both the show and his play-by-play broadcasts. The South Dakota High School Activies Association honored Craig in 2009 with the Distiguished Service Award.
            After growing up in Kiester, MN (pop 400, in Southeast MN) and graduating from Brown Institute of Broadcasting in Minneapolis, Craig started in radio in Vermillion in 1979. He moved on to Mankato, where he actually was a TV weatherman for a short time. He has been in Sioux Falls since 1986 as everything from a program director at KTTW-TV to radio DJ to news/talk host to sports talk host. He is the voice of USF women's basketball and calls high school football and basketball for KWSN. For several years, he has called state championships on TV for football, basketball, volleyball and wrestling for South Dakota Public Broadcasting. (Thankfully, they don't show his face much.)
            Craig is a 49-year-old man in a midlife crisis, married to the extremely saintly and patient Faith (who he frequently mocks on the show), and father of six tortured children. He is the ruthless and savvy KWSN kickball team coach and a homebody who is active in his church and plays church-league softball. He grew up a lifelong Gophers, Twins, and Vikings fan. His sports views lean on old school. As in, oooold school. SDSU fans think he has an anti-SDSU agenda because he didn't believe SDSU should've have moved to Div. I athletics, and for his frequent use of the phrases "stop drinking your Jackrabbit juice" and "that's why we went Division One!

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I think SDSU has an excellent recruiting class, very impressed with our coaches given the relatively limited resources they have. Looking forward to watching these kids develop. The home I recently purchased and now live in was previously owned by the Grandfather of one of this years recruits as well as a current Jackrabbit, the Lansman brothers. Their father lettered for the Jacks while their mother Tara Tessier was a great basketball player in the mid 80's. I met them both last fall and now I'll get to cheer them on as Jackrabbits. Great kids from a great family.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think the Northern Sun limits total team scholarships to 27. Nationally, D-II would allow something like 33, but the Northern Sun imposes a lower limit. So there must be a lot of Augie Vikings playing for very little athletic scholly help, if any. USF used to announce gigantic recruiting classes in its NAIA days. If all the kids had stuck with team, the Cougars would have had an annual roster of about 150 players.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  I think the Northern Sun limits total team scholarships to 27. Nationally, D-II would allow something like 33, but the Northern Sun imposes a lower limit. So there must be a lot of Augie Vikings playing for very little athletic scholly help, if any. USF used to announce gigantic recruiting classes in its NAIA days. If all the kids had stuck with team, the Cougars would have had an annual roster of about 150 players.
                  If I remember correctly the players that can recieve academic scholarships are more likely to recieve academic scholarships than players that don't qualify for good academic scholarships. So players recieve academic scholarships instead of athletic scholarships but they still sign.
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    Division 2 limit is 36 and the Northern Sun is either 28 or will be 28 next season. Which is up from 24 from a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                      If I remember correctly the players that can recieve academic scholarships are more likely to recieve academic scholarships than players that don't qualify for good academic scholarships. So players recieve academic scholarships instead of athletic scholarships but they still sign.
                      You are correct about the academic scholarships. As long as the athlete receives an academic scholarship that any other student is eligible for then they can receive the academic scholarship instead of it having to be an athletic scholarship.

Comment

Anyone heard of late potential signees? Maybe some potentials walking the halls of Frost tonight...

Comment

Working...
                        X