Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Luke Meadows interviewing as SDSM&T

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I don't think it would be a problem if meadows got the job. But I am wondering about the ethics of currently working for one team while trying to get to another one. What about recruits who he is helps us look at for sdsu but then he gets the job and a kid is looking at enginerring and meadows says hey I'm at a program who needs your skills and we have a great engineering program come here now. I wonder if he is as active in recruiting for sdsu right now as much as he normally is. I mean if his duties are the same. I would assume sdsu has a shortlist of coaches to consider in case he gets the job. My guess eidness would move to O cord and we would look for a line coach. Like a willie jones type who knows weightroom training too.
    I understand what you are saying but if every assistant who was interviewing for a different job wasn't allowed to recruit there would be a lot less recruiters out there. If he can take any recruit from a D-I school to the School of Mines I'll just tip my cap to him for doing so. Coaches leave and take recruits with them all the time, RGIII was a Houston recruit before going to Baylor when his coach left for that job.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      I understand what you are saying but if every assistant who was interviewing for a different job wasn't allowed to recruit there would be a lot less recruiters out there. If he can take any recruit from a D-I school to the School of Mines I'll just tip my cap to him for doing so. Coaches leave and take recruits with them all the time, RGIII was a Houston recruit before going to Baylor when his coach left for that job.
      Like I said I didn't think it would happen but just the idea of competing interests. Usually a recruit would follow a head coach not an assistant.
      Last edited by goon; 12-16-2011, 09:35 PM.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        I guess when you see how little someone like Meadows makes after being there what 10 years it puts it all in perspective that most don't make the big money you see in the BCS world. Don't blame him for seeking a head coaching position at lesser division and getting a $20,000 raise.
        I don't think anyone's blaming him. I think most folks(not all) would like to see Meadows go. I love his Olines. I do not love his offense or his play calls. Unfortunately to keep the Oline, you have to keep the playcalling. I'm ready to adjust to the change as a fan and hope our Olines remain solid.
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

If I'm not mistaken Coach Meadows has a lot of family in the Spearfish area. That could also be a factor.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            I guess when you see how little someone like Meadows makes after being there what 10 years it puts it all in perspective that most don't make the big money you see in the BCS world. Don't blame him for seeking a head coaching position at lesser division and getting a $20,000 raise.
            This is tragically true. Rep pts given. I believe Mrs Meadows has worked somewhere in Brookings for those ten years so lets not leave her out.

Comment

Just a follow-up. I wish Coach Meadows the best of luck. He is a good coach in whatever he does. I thought it was interesting how much he has been savaged on here. Heck, I've thrown a few in there myself. Isn't it kind of funny how he doesn't seem to get much of the credit for SDSU having the best passing attack in the conference even after the horrible start?

The old saying "You are only as good as your last game" is evidently spot on!

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                Ever seen the checks that get handed over during halftime of the Beef Bowl and Cereal Bowl?
                Great point, our farmers are still depending on research from SDSU for better yields and etc. Maybe when the SID prints the game program and lists the donors they should be some kind of a designation after said farmer name such as (F). That might highlight the farmers and their giving. Then folks like myself can spend a day counting (F)'s and muliplying the count times the bracket of giving and coming up with a total farmer giving for the year. See what retirement does to you. Lots of time on your hands. But I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Great point, our farmers are still depending on research from SDSU for better yields and etc. Maybe when the SID prints the game program and lists the donors they should be some kind of a designation after said farmer name such as (F). That might highlight the farmers and their giving. Then folks like myself can spend a day counting (F)'s and muliplying the count times the bracket of giving and coming up with a total farmer giving for the year. See what retirement does to you. Lots of time on your hands. But I digress.
                  I just like teasing farmers, they are the salt of the earth, and most of my family is either farmers, vet's, or work in agriculture. But I am still confused why SDSU is the poorest athletic school in the Valley. Could someone explain that to me?

Back on subject with Coach Meadows - if it was up to Meadows, TOB wouldn't have left and we wouldn't have seen the rise of Sumner. Meadows said that in a quote on the record. Coach Meadows is a good person, they say Newt Gingrich is zany - what do you call Meadows' football philosophy? Nutty? Actually I think zany is the perfect word for Meadows. Coach Meadows never played DI college football which I think should be a prerequisite for a DI team. I hope he gets the job and wish him the best. He can do his experiments at the DII leval and probably will have great success with it.

Part of the Jack's issues for coaching is lack of DI experiance. Isn't Stig and Jimmy the only two with DI experiance? Stig coached DI before but I don't think he played DI either. I'd hope if Meadows does go they higher someone with the proper DI credentials.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                    I just like teasing farmers, they are the salt of the earth, and most of my family is either farmers, vet's, or work in agriculture. But I am still confused why SDSU is the poorest athletic school in the Valley. Could someone explain that to me?

Back on subject with Coach Meadows - if it was up to Meadows, TOB wouldn't have left and we wouldn't have seen the rise of Sumner. Meadows said that in a quote on the record. Coach Meadows is a good person, they say Newt Gingrich is zany - what do you call Meadows' football philosophy? Nutty? Actually I think zany is the perfect word for Meadows. Coach Meadows never played DI college football which I think should be a prerequisite for a DI team. I hope he gets the job and wish him the best. He can do his experiments at the DII leval and probably will have great success with it.

Part of the Jack's issues for coaching is lack of DI experiance. Isn't Stig and Jimmy the only two with DI experiance? Stig coached DI before but I don't think he played DI either. I'd hope if Meadows does go they higher someone with the proper DI credentials.
                    Why is SDSU the poorest? smallest city? It didn't have much for facilities to start off with? I still stand by my statement that they are pushing other things other then assistant coach salaries. NDSU has the facilities so they can push for other things like salaries and budgets because they don't need a practice facility, they don't need a new stadium.

As far as having to have played to be a good coach I disagree to a point. Some people get coaching some do not. Its like teaching, I know people who are very smart in their field but couldn't teach it at all, that is a similar problem with some athletes becoming coaches, they got it so easy that they can't coach it. I think where the experience can help is understanding what your players are going through. Some times if you didn't play while going to class its easy to think that they have it easy.

Now I'm not the biggest Meadows fan, I felt that his offense was a joke until late in the year when they started slinging it. I thought some of the things he did were unexplained. I thought he was stubborn at times and it hurt the team. But overall I think its good to have your assistants become head coaches, or move on. In college having a coaching tree through other universities at different levels can help. If Meadows is in Denver recruiting and sees a FCS guy he is probably going to mention it to Stig or someone at State, if he can't get them to come to Mines. I believe SDSU got Matt Lein because a former grad assistant saw him at a UCLA camp. The more former coaches (on good terms) you have throughout the country, the more times you can find recruits you would have lost out on before.

Comment

...... - if it was up to Meadows, TOB wouldn't have left and we wouldn't have seen the rise of Sumner. Meadows said that in a quote on the record.
                      Have a citation to that record you're referring to? I don't think he made that statement.

Coach Meadows never played DI college football which I think should be a prerequisite for a DI team.
                      I know, it's just your opinion and you're certainly entitled to have that opinion. But do some research on successful head coaches at BCS schools, past and present (I did after reading your opinion). There have been some tremendous coaches who didn't play DI football -- there have been some great coaches who didn't play any college football. And there are many examples of coaches who were very successful players at the DI level -- who had no coaching success on the DI level.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        Have a citation to that record you're referring to? I don't think he made that statement.

I know, it's just your opinion and you're certainly entitled to have that opinion. But do some research on successful head coaches at BCS schools, past and present (I did after reading your opinion). There have been some tremendous coaches who didn't play DI football -- there have been some great coaches who didn't play any college football. And there are many examples of coaches who were very successful players at the DI level -- who had no coaching success on the DI level.
                        To show how important D1 experience is, Coach Stig's playing days were over when he finished his senior year with the Selby Lions. He has a helmet to prove that. Stig never played college ball period. Another example of not playing D1 and being very sucessfull, we look at the bio for Brian Kelly

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/m...y_brian00.html

Stig is 2-0 against Brian Kelly when he was at Grand Valley state. Brian Kelly played four years at WHERE? Assumption College in Mass.

Comment

Here is another coach with no D1 Playing experience. He played his college ball at WHERE? Millikin a D3 school in ILLINOIS.

http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com...&Q_SEASON=2011

Comment

No offense but that's like saying you need to play pro ball to be a successful pro coach. Exhibit A: Mike Martz.
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Vince Lombardi.
                              You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                                Vince Lombardi.
                                Vince according to his biography played at Fordam which is now FCS but in his day was a power to be reckoned with. They played a couple of games at the Polo Grounds and filled the staduim of about 100,000. So technically Vince played D1 football or the equivalent of it. One of the big opponents was St Mary's of California, who was to be a member of the Great West, but dropped football rather than travel to Brookings SD. Fordam like St Mary's had tradition in the 1930's but have not done much since.
                                I think you have to include Vince with those who had D1 playing experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X