Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Luke Meadows interviewing as SDSM&T

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    There is at least one other possibility: The job wasn't a good fit. That could mean, for example, that the institution wasn't prepared to invest the resources that would be needed to improve things. It's actually a very common reason for people to withdraw from academic searches. I assume that it's also a possibility in coaching searches.
    I understand that, but if you are applying for and are a finalist shouldn't you already know what they are investing, for coaching, in teaching many times you have to be in it before you figure things out, but I always thought coaching you have a pretty good idea what the facilities are, what the money is, and what type of guys you have to recruit.

Comment

Chris Stein- the TightEnd coach and passing game coordinator at Chadron State was the fourth finalist. (apparently there was only four finalist, thought there was five)

Comment

Coach Meadows grew up in the Hills -- Hot Springs guy. I'm not sure how everyone else feels but I think the Hills can be one of the nicest places to live in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Coach Meadows grew up in the Hills -- Hot Springs guy. I'm not sure how everyone else feels but I think the Hills can be one of the nicest places to live in this country.
          Yep, have relatives that used to live on Sylvan Lake Road, went out there for a couple weeks at a time every summer from age 4 to about 16. Loved that place.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Jeez, the guy wants to be a head coach, and has a pretty good track record as an OC.

I know the playcalling and line shuffling has been unpopular... but we've had very good running attacks, a very good passing attack this past season, and usually (this past year being the exception) his O-Line was one of the strongest units of the team.

Plus, yes the Black Hills would be a nice place to live. And if he grew up in that area, even more attraction for attraction.

Why wouldn't he want that job?

I'd have to think he'll be a pretty strong candidate, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
              Jeez, the guy wants to be a head coach, and has a pretty good track record as an OC.

I know the playcalling and line shuffling has been unpopular... but we've had very good running attacks, a very good passing attack this past season, and usually (this past year being the exception) his O-Line was one of the strongest units of the team.

Plus, yes the Black Hills would be a nice place to live. And if he grew up in that area, even more attraction for attraction.

Why wouldn't he want that job?

I'd have to think he'll be a pretty strong candidate, to be honest.
              I could not have summed it up better. Rep pts your way.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                I understand that, but if you are applying for and are a finalist shouldn't you already know what they are investing, for coaching, in teaching many times you have to be in it before you figure things out, but I always thought coaching you have a pretty good idea what the facilities are, what the money is, and what type of guys you have to recruit.
                Um... no. Interviews are about information gathering for both sides. The institution is trying to figure the candidates out, along with what the candidates think will be needed to upgrade a program. The candidates are trying to figure out what's going on (don't discount the importance of comfort-level). Even after a choice is made, the negotiation process becomes not only about what the coach wants for himself, coaches negotiate for enhancements/changes in the larger program at that time... and often drop out during that phase without people even knowing they were the choice.

Bottom line: There is no way you can know why somebody left a finalist pool.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Does anyone know what the pay differance is between the two jobs? Is it an increase in pay to be head coach there vs. assitant at SDSU?

Comment

Did he get the job yet? I'm just askin'.....
                    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

From http://open.sd.gov

The last coach at Mines (Dan Kratzer) made $64,294. Meadows makes $49,884, which is ridiculously low for an associate head coach.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I don't know Meadows personally, but he's coached at SDSU through a challenging period and has put up impressive results. I don't think Mines could do better than hire a guy like him, who's got local roots as well as D-1 experience. If he gets the Mines job, it will be a loss for the Jacks. Apparently not an irreplaceable loss, according to some good posters on this board, but I bet it won't be easy to find someone else with his passion, regional knowledge and experience that's willing to work relatively cheap. Despite the scenery, coaching Mines won't be a picnic for whoever gets that job. I think I'd get in and out that job ASAP.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          I don't know Meadows personally, but he's coached at SDSU through a challenging period and has put up impressive results. I don't think Mines could do better than hire a guy like him, who's got local roots as well as D-1 experience. If he gets the Mines job, it will be a loss for the Jacks. Apparently not an irreplaceable loss, according to some good posters on this board, but I bet it won't be easy to find someone else with his passion, regional knowledge and experience that's willing to work relatively cheap. Despite the scenery, coaching Mines won't be a picnic for whoever gets that job. I think I'd get in and out that job ASAP.
                          "Relatively cheap" are the key words. Too bad SDSU doesn't have better funds. What are the rich farmers doing with their money lately? They couldn't have possibly had a better year econimically.

One advantage though is 50k in Brookings goes a lot farther than most other towns in the conferance, with maybe the exception of Macomb. In Macomb 50k would equal 100k everywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                            "Relatively cheap" are the key words. Too bad SDSU doesn't have better funds. What are the rich farmers doing with their money lately? They couldn't have possibly had a better year econimically.

One advantage though is 50k in Brookings goes a lot farther than most other towns in the conferance, with maybe the exception of Macomb. In Macomb 50k would equal 100k everywhere else.
                            If SDSU gets funds from the rich farmers, (which most farmers spent on their new combine and new tractor instead), and they are to be directed to football or athletics they will put it towards a new stadium or training facility, not towards an associate head coach. Nothing against associate head coaches, and I agree they are underpaid, but you can find them. Unless its a head coach in waiting, and the plans are already in place for the HC leaving, you don't over pay for an assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post

Unlike someone on a salary,farmers can be "rich" one year,and the next year low prices or bad weather can turn that around in a hurry. Much of what isn't re-invested in equipment,etc.. goes into rainy day funds or retirement funds ( which aren't matched by their employer).

Comment

I would this meadows would be a really good head coach. Knows the area recruits well.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X