Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Day--SIU--Game Day Thread

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    Is this about play calling or execution of a sing play? Throwing the ball into double coverage has nothing to do with calling the play, and the wind wouldn't hve made a difference. Jacks put up 45 on a team that UNI scored 17 on and NDSU put up 9 on. They've averaged just south of 30 a game since the QB turnover.
    In my case, I am not complaining about a single call. I am complaining about a coaching staff that has led us to two losing seasons. Things need to change.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

November 8th Sports Lounge
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjBHJCzNncQ

0:00 - 13:10 LSU @ Alabama recap along with the rest of the college football weekend.
      13:10 - 23:30 SDSU defeats Southern Illinois 45-34 on Hobo Day
      23:30 - 36:13 NFL week 9 review and you don't always get what you want
      Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
      Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        Is this about play calling or execution of a sing play? Throwing the ball into double coverage has nothing to do with calling the play, and the wind wouldn't hve made a difference. Jacks put up 45 on a team that UNI scored 17 on and NDSU put up 9 on. They've averaged just south of 30 a game since the QB turnover.
        First mistake was calling the play. The wind made a huge difference in the throw (ball was underthrown). Same ball thrown with the wind would have gone over the defenders head. Execution was the second mistake (that is on the player). I gave one example of poor play calling (and it also included poor decision making by the player).
        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I watched the replay of the first half of the game last night to refresh my foggy mind on a very good half of football.

I know this could be beaten like a dead horse over and over, but Dale Moss' skills are just unreal. The guy has more highlights this year than the rest of the team combined. For some reason I was thinking the 71 yard TD was a slant, but it was a 10 yard stop, turn, catch. He made one move and the defender slipped just a bit and Moss was gone. 6'4"/230 and running away from defenders.

Hats off to Schlautman, though. We all know this too, but his "fake" was not a fake by any means. If he gets that punt blocked it's probably 28-21 at half instead of 35-14. Huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            I hate the play call. There is aggressive and there is stupid. We can't establish the run very well, so let's not do that. How about (crazy idea everyone, but hang in there) we just keep throwing it out of shotgun with 4 WRs? Nuts, I know. It had been working all game, but I think that it's crazy enough that it might have kept working.

Another play call I hated, while we are on it: 1st and 10 at like the 10.5 yard line in the first half. We take out Moss and Rollin (any time you can take your 2 biggest and best WR inside the red zone you just have to do it) and put in #81 the punt returner and whoever #10 is. Neither had played an offensive snap yet that game. My first thought is that there 0 chance we throw. We run a reverse that loses 2 yards, but there was a holding penalty so it didn't matter. Just an awful call. We had all the momentum, throwing all over them and we take out Moss and Rollin and run a reverse. GTFO.

I realize complaining about play calling after we scored 45 points is ridiculous, but there are continually so many plays where we waste plays and make flat out stupid play calls. When you watch/listen to the Jacks, pay attention to how many times we run the ball after gains or losses of 5 yards or more. We lose 10 yards cause of a sack, we almost always run a draw on the next play, which compounds our problems. We are predictable. I like what we do with the shotgun - a major improvement over the past couple of years, but we are still predictable.
            And if we went primarily to the shotgun and Sumner throws a pick on the throw, that's not a problem? I promise people would be on this site bitching about that call if it happened, too. Just like they would have bitched about it if we went 3 and out. I'm not apologizing for the play. I wasn't thrilled when it happened. But, the only reason people are bitching is because of the result of the play. Again, if any play was called and a negative result happened in that instance allowing for SIU to get back into the game, there would be bitching.

I will agree on the substitution thing. By the end of the 1st quarter, it was apparent that any time Moss and Rollin were taken out, there was about a 90% chance a run was coming. When Tiefentaller (sp?) came in for Moss, it was almost always a running play. I'm a has-been/never-was former defensive player and I noticed that in less than 1 quarter of game time (and the trend continued throughout the game). I promise a good defense like SIU who watches film and digests every play of a game noticed that trend coming into the game. It was almost like we have 2 WR who are designated blockers and 2 who are designated receivers.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
              And if we went primarily to the shotgun and Sumner throws a pick on the throw, that's not a problem? I promise people would be on this site bitching about that call if it happened, too. Just like they would have bitched about it if we went 3 and out. I'm not apologizing for the play. I wasn't thrilled when it happened. But, the only reason people are bitching is because of the result of the play. Again, if any play was called and a negative result happened in that instance allowing for SIU to get back into the game, there would be bitching.

I will agree on the substitution thing. By the end of the 1st quarter, it was apparent that any time Moss and Rollin were taken out, there was about a 90% chance a run was coming. When Tiefentaller (sp?) came in for Moss, it was almost always a running play. I'm a has-been/never-was former defensive player and I noticed that in less than 1 quarter of game time (and the trend continued throughout the game). I promise a good defense like SIU who watches film and digests every play of a game noticed that trend coming into the game. It was almost like we have 2 WR who are designated blockers and 2 who are designated receivers.
              I'm okay with failing out of a good play. That play wasn't a good play. I'm not a fan of trick plays, even when they work, which may be conservative, but I also am in favor of passing 75% of the time.

And I don't see people bitching about Sumner's INT in the second half. So I don't agree with your point on that.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I'm okay with failing out of a good play. That play wasn't a good play. I'm not a fan of trick plays, even when they work, which may be conservative, but I also am in favor of passing 75% of the time.

And I don't see people bitching about Sumner's INT in the second half. So I don't agree with your point on that.
                For a program that has been refered to as vanilla by its fans and coachse probably noticed they were a little dull with runs up the middle and 5 yard out passes. I think They were trying to think out side the box and catch a team who has a coach who knows the conservative play calling. I really liked seeing it. It was different and only was a problem because he threw the ball, easily could have ran for good yards had he tucked it.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

To me, "too vanilla" =! "not enough trick plays" which is why I'll bitch about vanilla offense and dumb trick plays. When I want want less vanilla, I want things like more varied play calls and play call sequences (we are unbelievably predictable; I can guess run/pass with great accuracy and I'm just a fan) and different route combinations (have improved this slightly) and different types of run plays (do we know what a sweep is?).

It has improved immensely, but I'm not satisfied.
                  Last edited by RabbitObsessed; 11-09-2011, 03:11 PM.

Comment

To me, "too vanilla" =! "not enough trick plays" which is why I'll bitch about vanilla offense and dumb trick plays. When I want want less vanilla, I want things like more varied play calls and play call sequences (we are unbelievably predictable; I can guess run/pass with great accuracy and I'm just a fan) and different route combinations (have improved this slightly) and different types of run plays (do we know what a sweep is?).

It has improved immensely, but I'm not satisfied.
                    Anyone for butterscotch or maybe Strawberry? How but butter brickle?

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Anyone for butterscotch or maybe Strawberry? How but butter brickle?
                      Coconut cream?

/pie reference, not sorry about it.
                      /OK, maybe a bit sorry . . .
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

http://www.archive.org/details/TerryVandrovec9Nov.9th2011SportsBlock

- Terry Vandrovec from the Argus Leaders joins the Sports Block with Nathan, Travis and Charlie to preview the SDSU men's and women's basketball seasons, SDSU volleyball, the situation at Penn State, cereal and the torture rack.

http://www.archive.org/details/Kolbe...011SportsBlock

- Kolbe Nelson from KDLT Sports called into the Sports Block to discuss the South Dakota state football championships, Joe Frazier, Penn State and more.
                        Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                        Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Only thing wrong with the reverse pass .... it didn't work. I have read so many posts of how predictable we are....which i do agree with, but this play .... not one sole in the stadium: fans, opposing players or coaches saw this coming. It was totally unpredictable....and if not for the winds probably would have gone for a nice gain.

Im not proposing that we become a team of trick plays, but i did like the part of thinking outside the box.

With that said, looking to next year, we have: a mamoth offensive line that will be back in total, a QB that is showing that he can throw the ball all over the field, a good set of WR's will be returning (im moving Kool back to WR), and smaller quick RB. with all this, lets go to the Texas Tech offense that was run by Mike Leach. Let our line get some wide splits (gives the RB's more room to run), and let sumner throw the ball about 70% of the time. I don't think there is anyone in the MVC that could stop it.

Comment

Originally posted by JackHammer View Post
                            With that said, looking to next year, we have: a mamoth offensive line that will be back in total, a QB that is showing that he can throw the ball all over the field, a good set of WR's will be returning (im moving Kool back to WR), and smaller quick RB. with all this, lets go to the Texas Tech offense that was run by Mike Leach. Let our line get some wide splits (gives the RB's more room to run), and let sumner throw the ball about 70% of the time. I don't think there is anyone in the MVC that could stop it.
                            Would love to see this offense run. 4 WRs almost every time? Sling the ball all over the field? Sign me up.

Comment

Would love to see this offense run. 4 WRs almost every time? Sling the ball all over the field? Sign me up.
                              I think that would be better then the pistol. It would be a complete new way for our football culture from just a few year ago we have always been a smash in their face kind of team and run as we please, yet had very good passing Qbs. now we are having some great passers, Berry, Summer and the WRs to allow that to happen. Never thought I would be excited for a pass heavy team. Mainly because I think the weather we play several games in a year are harder to pass in bad weather IMO.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                I think that would be better then the pistol. It would be a complete new way for our football culture from just a few year ago we have always been a smash in their face kind of team and run as we please, yet had very good passing Qbs. now we are having some great passers, Berry, Summer and the WRs to allow that to happen. Never thought I would be excited for a pass heavy team. Mainly because I think the weather we play several games in a year are harder to pass in bad weather IMO.
                                This offense would help our running game....1) because now the opposing defense is back on their heels before the ball is even snapped. 2) the wide spilts the offensive line takes, creates running lanes....if the defense doesn't spread out with the o-line, then the toss sweep works everytime. 3) the run blocking schemes is more finese....there is a given hole to run to, but the line is taught take the defensive player where ever he wants to go...in other words, if the DT, for example, is trying to go left where the hole is suppose to be, then take his butt left all the way to the sidelines, let his momentum take him out of the play, and the backs are given more room to create, to run where they see daylight.

you would be totally surprised how much more effective our run game would become

Comment

Working...
                                X