Hobo Day--SIU--Game Day Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Day--SIU--Game Day Thread

Long snapper Matt Peitz had a rough day. He has been pretty solid all year, so it was surprising to see him struggle.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Another award for our budding star. Sumner is the MVFC offensive player of the week.

I hope Moss or Rollin (or both) can break 1000 yards next week. That, along with a win, would certainly take some of the sting out of a pretty frustrating year.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        Our punting was sketchy all day. They had one block, one should have been blocked and 2 others were close. That is not good.
        I guess I spaced out the blocked one for some reason. The high snap was bad but the game was all but over so I didn't really think it was a big deal. The kick return game I feel has improved just for the dact we don't get called for a block in the back every other return any more.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

My game thoughts for what they are worth:

1. Running game has improved with Zenner in the starting lineup.
          (of course it may have helped that we were playing the bottom 2 teams)

2. Dale Moss - Wow. Anyone who said he wouldn't be able to contribute at this level should eat a big slice of humble pie.

3. If we give Sumner time, he'll tear you apart.

4. Defense, was not great again...but OK. Our pass rush is poor, and we don't stop the run well.

5. I do like Winston Wright, he's our best Secondary player.

6. I laugh at people who criticize our play calling when we scored 45 points. Just proves a theory of mine.

7. As bad as people think our season is... So. Illinois? when we went to the playoffs, they were the conference champs. They were picked top 3 in the league, we were picked 6th by most. If it happens to a school with their money and facilities, it can happen to anyone.

8. Good job by Stig and crew to keep the team playing hard til the end of the season. It would have been easy with this schedule, the circumstances, and the injuries that we had in certain positions for the team to quit, but they didn't. This team played it's heart out the last two weeks.

Comment

If you watched the press conference with Dale Lennon, he seemed very humble and answered all the questions in a forthright manner. I suspect things will have to move up next year in the win column or there will be a coaching change at SIU. From reports from others, we have some positives to carry us through the WIU game and end the season with a three game win streak.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
              ...It would have been easy with this schedule, the circumstances, and the injuries that we had in certain positions for the team to quit, but they didn't. This team played it's heart out the last two weeks.
              ^^^^^^^^

Comment

6. I laugh at people who criticize our play calling when we scored 45 points. Just proves a theory of mine.
                I think the play calling has changed despite attempts to keep it the same...

Comment

I think it is justified to question play calling. What reason was there to try a wideout pass going into the wind? If they would have ran that when SDSU had the wind on their side, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But you also have to tell the wide reciever to not throw the ball into double coverage. Yes, SDSU put up 45 points. But when you run plays in situations they should be run, you should be questioning the play calling.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                    I think it is justified to question play calling. What reason was there to try a wideout pass going into the wind? If they would have ran that when SDSU had the wind on their side, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But you also have to tell the wide reciever to not throw the ball into double coverage. Yes, SDSU put up 45 points. But when you run plays in situations they should be run, you should be questioning the play calling.
                    Is this about play calling or execution of a sing play? Throwing the ball into double coverage has nothing to do with calling the play, and the wind wouldn't hve made a difference. Jacks put up 45 on a team that UNI scored 17 on and NDSU put up 9 on. They've averaged just south of 30 a game since the QB turnover.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                      My guess is the player has the choice to decide to make the pass or throw it out or run it. He chose wrong. I like that the coaches actually tried a different play something to keep siu guessing and frankly just bad execution. I can tell a difference in our passing game for play calling. I cant remember the last game we ran a swing pass to a RB. which I think we should run it some but not as much as we did the first game againt SUU. Also the 5 yard outs are mostly gone. That was a majority of TOB pass attempts and we only see it a few times game. There have been more down the middle and some crossing routes. I just dont think we have the ability to change up the run game much. The line needs to improve and we need some depth at running back. Next year with Zenner getting 1st on the depth chart should help. Use Kool as a hybrid player, some running, some WR sets.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        Is this about play calling or execution of a sing play? Throwing the ball into double coverage has nothing to do with calling the play, and the wind wouldn't hve made a difference. Jacks put up 45 on a team that UNI scored 17 on and NDSU put up 9 on. They've averaged just south of 30 a game since the QB turnover.
                        The wind definitely affected that play. Additionally, the play call was a terrible one. We led by 21. No reason to call the play and, even if its called, make sure you tell Aaron to only throw it if Dale is wide open. Maybe Aaron was told and wanted to still try to make the play. Either way, no reason to call it since we just turned them over and could have tried to make an attempt to control the game by establishing the run.

Overall, I thought the offense played well, but that play was absolutely uncalled for at that time.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                          Either way, no reason to call it since we just turned them over and could have tried to make an attempt to control the game by establishing the run.
                          With our running game this year what makes you think that we could establish the run? if anything they would have been expecting it so I think the play call was to hope to catch them off guard. I don't have any problem with the call, just the execution. Probably should have just tucked it and got a few yards running. I would hope the pass was only suppose to happen if he was wide open and for a second he was but the wind didnt help kept it floating.

Comment

When we lost to Montana during the epic comeback/collapse, the staff was criticized for going too conservative. Now, they're too aggressive? I didn't like the RESULT of the play, but definitely would have high-fived anyone near me like a crazy person if the pass was completed. What would have happened if we went to the trusty pistol formation and went 3 and out? That wouldn't have been any better and probably would have been pretty similar field position after punting into the wind. I agree the play execution sucked. Just eat it and take whatever you can get. However, give a WR or a RB a chance to pass the ball and they're going to chuck it even if the coverage is 11 on 1. Everyone dreams of being a QB.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I hate the play call. There is aggressive and there is stupid. We can't establish the run very well, so let's not do that. How about (crazy idea everyone, but hang in there) we just keep throwing it out of shotgun with 4 WRs? Nuts, I know. It had been working all game, but I think that it's crazy enough that it might have kept working.

Another play call I hated, while we are on it: 1st and 10 at like the 10.5 yard line in the first half. We take out Moss and Rollin (any time you can take your 2 biggest and best WR inside the red zone you just have to do it) and put in #81 the punt returner and whoever #10 is. Neither had played an offensive snap yet that game. My first thought is that there 0 chance we throw. We run a reverse that loses 2 yards, but there was a holding penalty so it didn't matter. Just an awful call. We had all the momentum, throwing all over them and we take out Moss and Rollin and run a reverse. GTFO.

I realize complaining about play calling after we scored 45 points is ridiculous, but there are continually so many plays where we waste plays and make flat out stupid play calls. When you watch/listen to the Jacks, pay attention to how many times we run the ball after gains or losses of 5 yards or more. We lose 10 yards cause of a sack, we almost always run a draw on the next play, which compounds our problems. We are predictable. I like what we do with the shotgun - a major improvement over the past couple of years, but we are still predictable.
                              Last edited by RabbitObsessed; 11-08-2011, 05:40 PM.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I stand by my assertion. That reverse pass was a terrible play call. I understand that people say we couldn't run the ball very effectively, but we busted a couple great runs in the 4th quarter which we may have done in the 3rd. Never know. Instead, we throw a reverse WR pass into gale-force winds. That play, turned the tide of the 3rd quarter. I was sure thinking when Jewel Hampton really started pounding us on the ground that we may be in for it because we couldn't stop him. I'm glad that DeBoer decided to throw a couple times when he should have kept running it or the tide may have turned completely.

Credit to Austin for making good decisions Saturday and to the O-line for giving him time to throw it around out there. I love watching him play. He has really played well since taking over. Glad the coaches have faith in him to make plays.
                                "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                                "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Working...
                                X