Hobo Day--SIU--Game Day Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Day--SIU--Game Day Thread

Anyone else notice our wind-aided running game in the 4th?

Seriously though, it may not have been pretty but it was fun to watch a Hobo Day win. The team did play a pretty solid first half. They moved the ball well, didn't make many dumb mistakes, the defense kept things under control. The second half was a bit of a mess. But then the team performed well enough to keep it out of reach.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

And one thing about the refs. Is it just me or was the Ump ginormus or what. He looked huge compared to all the line man.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I caught parts of the game on the radio. What I did hear was amazing but we made a few wild errors here and there, but we won and thats what counts.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          Win, 45 points, positive momentum for next year, and this is your reaction? R u ever fan-satisfied?
          I agree with him. Even with the first-half offensive success, there were some absolutely horrible play calls in the second half. Clare's run was the highlight for me in addition to the beautiful pass to Rollin on the out and up down our sideline. Amazing play by Sumner.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I had to leave the game a little early to drive in to Minneapolis. Tyler M made a comment on the radio that there was something going on behind the SIU bench--some fans may have caught the interest of the referees. Tyler noted that the refs must not have worked a game at the Fargo Dome.

Anyone know what happened?

Comment

Some stats from the game story on GoJacks.com: Game attendance was 12,147 ... the Jackrabbits ended the home season with a 2-3 record, losing all three games to ranked opponents ... average season attendance was 12,105 - the second highest in program history - as all five home games drew at least 10,000 fans ... SDSU improved to 58-35-5 on Hobo Day, including 12-3 under head coach John Stiegelmeier ...

On the subject of attendance: no question the opponents on the schedule, timing of games (e.g. last game was Hobo Day) helped the attendance but think about this: in a year in which the team will have a losing record, attendance numbers are going up. I think we've now hit a point at which the games have become an event more people are attending irrespective of the win/loss record. Sure, winning will really drive the numbers up; but the numbers are holding up well even when it looks like we'll be 5-6 for the year (yeah, I'm putting WIU in the W column). (How about the bookstore before the game! Wow, the place was stuffed and everyone was spending money!)

Comment

The bookstore wouild be packed before every game if it was open until 7 PM on Saturdays with 7 PM game time. Never understood why that opportunity isn't percieved by University Bookstore management.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  Win, 45 points, positive momentum for next year, and this is your reaction? R u ever fan-satisfied?

I agree with RO, some pretty questionable play-calling on both sides of the ball. And I am not satisfied with another losing season, I am very disappointed.

I am however optimistic about next year. We should have a pretty potent offense, and hopefully we can improve our defense. We need to get more size and more depth on the D-line. We really struggled up front this year.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                    Sure looks like it to me...throw in a little frustration too. That said,i'm developing a man-crush on Sumner.
                    Wow! Will this become true lust when Sumner actually quits making mistakes on play execution and learns to avoid a sack by gettring rid of the ball? The young man is very good but has much yet to learn. I look forward to watching him develop.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                      way to spank the stache!!
                      As much as I hate to type it, for the sake of the MVFC, I hope both NDSU and UNI do well in playoffs. It would be nice to see the MVFC win a national championship.
                      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        I had to leave the game a little early to drive in to Minneapolis. Tyler M made a comment on the radio that there was something going on behind the SIU bench--some fans may have caught the interest of the referees. Tyler noted that the refs must not have worked a game at the Fargo Dome.

Anyone know what happened?
                        I was down along the fence for a brief period (when we were playing horribly coming out of the half).

By the time this incident happened, I had already went back up to my seat.

I've never stood along the fence before and I don't plan to again. Some of the crap I heard a few of our college fans saying to opposing players was pretty out of line. I'm not surprised officials ended up getting involved.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Nice, nice win. Great that we came out ready to go this week. And we bounced right back from Sumner's early pick. That mistake aside, we looked sharp the first half. Don't know what to say about the first eight minutes of the second half, though. Yikes. Some really bad plays out there. Again, though we bounced back and hung on. The running back pass into a 35 mph wind was just a stupid call. I'm going to have to go, "C'mon, man!" on that. And the running game remains weak. Our biggest problem, though, by far remains special teams. For the third straight week, they were pathetic. And every week, it's something a little different. Something's got to change with the group. Thankfully, the long field goal secured victory. It was a tight spot and a tough call considering recent history. Nicely done. Now let's go whip Western.
                          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                            Nice, nice win. Great that we came out ready to go this week. And we bounced right back from Sumner's early pick. That mistake aside, we looked sharp the first half. Don't know what to say about the first eight minutes of the second half, though. Yikes. Some really bad plays out there. Again, though we bounced back and hung on. The running back pass into a 35 mph wind was just a stupid call. I'm going to have to go, "C'mon, man!" on that. And the running game remains weak. Our biggest problem, though, by far remains special teams. For the third straight week, they were pathetic. And every week, it's something a little different. Something's got to change with the group. Thankfully, the long field goal secured victory. It was a tight spot and a tough call considering recent history. Nicely done. Now let's go whip Western.
                            Frankly I thought special teams looked good. Decent coverage good return lanes. Instead of a blocked punt he pulls in for a 1st down. Young kicker struggling and he makes a huge FG to give us a 2 score lead. I don't think we had any penalties on special teams which we probably had several most every other week.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              Frankly I thought special teams looked good. Decent coverage good return lanes. Instead of a blocked punt he pulls in for a 1st down. Young kicker struggling and he makes a huge FG to give us a 2 score lead. I don't think we had any penalties on special teams which we probably had several most every other week.
                              Our punting was sketchy all day. They had one block, one should have been blocked and 2 others were close. That is not good.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Yeah, the punting was a disaster. A block, a broken play that would have been blocked but went for a big first down, a high snap that resulted in a huge loss. Thankfully, that was very late in the game. The right side of the line really struggled on the punts. The field goal was great. Kicking with the wind went well. Against was rough, of course. It was a combo of not the strongest let and the hurricane wind.
                                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X