Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
    At least there wasn't a lot of complaining in the story. I get weary of the Bizon fans complaining about grass. Football was meant to be played outdoors in the elements and that includes a natural surface. I understand the changes to turf, and I can deal with artificial if it is outdoors, but I have zero time for domes.
    Don't bison like to eat grass....much better than field turf!

Comment

A couple of thoughts on my visit to Brookings and the game. 1. I actually kind of like your stadium. I thought in years past it was a bit of a dump, but the scoreboard on one end with the extra bleachers is nice, and the Dykehouse center is nice too. Absolutely perfect day for football and loved being outdoors for it. That said, November weather in Fargo does get pretty cold so being inside has its perks. 2. Pretty impressed with Sumner. Has a good future. #31(?) needs to be your running back. 3. Game changed literally 5 minutes into it with missed FG. Goal line stand and then the miss gave us a boost. 4. Literally laughed at how excited the band got when you scored the second TD. Not smack, because you may have chuckled along with me. 5. Wore my yellow man spandex suit with Bison flag as a cape and walked right through the SDSU tailgating area (unintentionally, seriously, we just happened to park over there). 6. Talked with Kyle Minnett out in the lot. Nice kid. I asked him about his ankle last year. He said the FFD turf sucks, and I agreed. He said if his ankle wasn't hurting, the outcome of that game would have been different, and u agreed with that as well. I then told him I was glad he finally graduated and we got a good laugh on that. So anyway, had fun, glad we finally won on my 4th time being there. Good luck the rest of the way.

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments. I agree with most of them but there are a few that I disagree with.
        I agree that the stadium is looking better. The bleachers and stands need to be redone but the north and south sides look good. You can't do much about the weather. Hobo day will be Nov 5th. That game is normally packed. I guess we'll see what the weather and record have to do with attendance. I think Zenner(#31) should get more carries, too. He has more power if you are trying to get 1 yard. A lot of it has to do with the line but if you have to power through somebody, he is the man. I like Sumner at QB, too. He seems more aware in the pocket the TOB was. Hopefully he improves each year he's here. That just didn't seem to happen with our last QB.
        I don't know if I'll say that the game changed with the missed FG. It was a big blow but SDSU was still in it at halftime. They had a dropped pass that could have been a TD and missed another FG. I don't think that NDSU would have been rattled by falling behind 7-0, either. It could have been important but if SDSU had made the other 2 plays, they are still ahead at halftime.
        I didn't know what to think of the TD's at the end. Did NDSU or SDSU really need to score their last TD's? NDSU could have went to the victory formation and ended(unless SDSU called timeout) it but they chose to score. I think SDSU just wanted to see what they could do. Didn't both teams have some backups in there so that could be getting experience for some other games.
        The game was really decided but special teams. NDSU dominated that part of the game. I'm sure SDSU has lost the special team battle that bad before but I don't remember it. The 2 missed FG's, the TD on the punt return, the kickoff out of bounds, etc... The other thing was NDSU's defense came up big at clutch times. SDSU could have scored on the 2 missed FG tries, SDSU was punting from their end zone when they had their 41 yard TD return and NDSU had short fields (16 and 32 yards) on their last 2 TD's.
        Good luck the rest of the way, too.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
          Thanks for the nice comments. I agree with most of them but there are a few that I disagree with.
          I agree that the stadium is looking better. The bleachers and stands need to be redone but the north and south sides look good. You can't do much about the weather. Hobo day will be Nov 5th. That game is normally packed. I guess we'll see what the weather and record have to do with attendance. I think Zenner(#31) should get more carries, too. He has more power if you are trying to get 1 yard. A lot of it has to do with the line but if you have to power through somebody, he is the man. I like Sumner at QB, too. He seems more aware in the pocket the TOB was. Hopefully he improves each year he's here. That just didn't seem to happen with our last QB.
          I don't know if I'll say that the game changed with the missed FG. It was a big blow but SDSU was still in it at halftime. They had a dropped pass that could have been a TD and missed another FG. I don't think that NDSU would have been rattled by falling behind 7-0, either. It could have been important but if SDSU had made the other 2 plays, they are still ahead at halftime.
          I didn't know what to think of the TD's at the end. Did NDSU or SDSU really need to score their last TD's? NDSU could have went to the victory formation and ended(unless SDSU called timeout) it but they chose to score. I think SDSU just wanted to see what they could do. Didn't both teams have some backups in there so that could be getting experience for some other games.
          The game was really decided but special teams. NDSU dominated that part of the game. I'm sure SDSU has lost the special team battle that bad before but I don't remember it. The 2 missed FG's, the TD on the punt return, the kickoff out of bounds, etc... The other thing was NDSU's defense came up big at clutch times. SDSU could have scored on the 2 missed FG tries, SDSU was punting from their end zone when they had their 41 yard TD return and NDSU had short fields (16 and 32 yards) on their last 2 TD's.
          Good luck the rest of the way, too.
          I don't really take exception at all with SDSU trying to score at the end against our 2nd stringers. I guess I just got a kick out of the band geeks reacting like the Rabbits just scored a go ahead TD or something, that's all. As far as NDSU needing to score late in the game, we only ran the ball if I remember correctly. You don't go into the victory formation with 7 or 8 minutes left (?) in the game, it's rediculous to suggest that. What a team with a lead does is run the ball to eat clock. The D knows it's coming, so stop it. If they can't, you don't tell your players to stop playing, because bad things happen, like injuries.

On a side not, things are already getting ugly between our fan base and UNI's this week. As much as the Bison enjoy beating the Rabbits, it's going to be a lot sweeter the day we beat those Panthers.

Comment

Originally posted by 8>1 View Post
            I don't really take exception at all with SDSU trying to score at the end against our 2nd stringers. I guess I just got a kick out of the band geeks reacting like the Rabbits just scored a go ahead TD or something, that's all. As far as NDSU needing to score late in the game, we only ran the ball if I remember correctly. You don't go into the victory formation with 7 or 8 minutes left (?) in the game, it's rediculous to suggest that. What a team with a lead does is run the ball to eat clock. The D knows it's coming, so stop it. If they can't, you don't tell your players to stop playing, because bad things happen, like injuries.

On a side not, things are already getting ugly between our fan base and UNI's this week. As much as the Bison enjoy beating the Rabbits, it's going to be a lot sweeter the day we beat those Panthers.
            With any luck you guys will. We left points on the field against them. You guys were more consistant. If you can avoid the big play which is what the killed us on, along with a few picks we gave them. But I thought they looked beatable.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

You don't go into the victory formation with 7 or 8 minutes left (?) in the game, it's rediculous to suggest that.

I was just talking about NDSU's last touchdown. NDSU had the ball at the SDSU 1 yard line with 1:31 left. It was 1st and goal.
              That type of stuff doesn't bother me much but I heard some people talk about it so I figured I'd bring it up. It is like you said, they are going to run it so just stop it.

I thought that NDSU looked better than UNI, too. It does come down to matchups and I don't know enough about them to say who will win but I think NDSU has a good chance.

Comment

I thought that NDSU looked better than UNI, too. It does come down to matchups and I don't know enough about them to say who will win but I think NDSU has a good chance.
                Agreed, it seem Ojrius got ten yards our of nothing and might do that against UNI but maybe not as often. Bison seem to execute so smoothly and have a balance between running and passing. NDSU with their crowd affect should win.

Comment

Yeah, I absolutely loved Ojuri's effort on Saturday. Love seeing a back keep those legs moving until the whistle. This weekends game will be against the toughest D we will have faced all year. And hopefully, the crowd noise plays a factor. I will say, our road crowd and home crowd are two different animals. Road crowd knows how to cheer and be supportive of the team. Whereas it seems like the home crowd is there because it's something to do on a Saturday night. Kind of ho hum if you ask me.

Comment

Yeah, I absolutely loved Ojuri's effort on Saturday. Love seeing a back keep those legs moving until the whistle. This weekends game will be against the toughest D we will have faced all year. And hopefully, the crowd noise plays a factor. I will say, our road crowd and home crowd are two different animals. Road crowd knows how to cheer and be supportive of the team. Whereas it seems like the home crowd is there because it's something to do on a Saturday night. Kind of ho hum if you ask me.
                    I've noticed that with NDSU and SDSU as well. Its a problem at Frost and CAS. I think the reasons are multiple but include the fact that the most passionate fans travel and they tend to be willing to be more vocal. Second, Frost arena has been transitioned from a student friendly venue to a season ticket holder/old guy venue. If you get too loud over on the reserve side or stand up and cheer too much someone complains. It's really killed the atmosphere at Frost and I find it very disappointing. I don't think the place will ever be rocking again like it was for big games in the 80's and 90's.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I was just talking about NDSU's last touchdown. NDSU had the ball at the SDSU 1 yard line with 1:31 left. It was 1st and goal.
                      That type of stuff doesn't bother me much but I heard some people talk about it so I figured I'd bring it up. It is like you said, they are going to run it so just stop it.

This is how that situation unfolded in our seats...

My dad: "really, you couldn't take a knee? Assholes."

Me: "No one plays the game to take a knee. If we didn't want them to score, we should've stopped them."
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Oct. 24th, 2011 Sports Lounge
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87zklPzVGr0

11:50 - 17:50 SDSU vs. NDSU football recap
                        Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
                        Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          I've noticed that with NDSU and SDSU as well. Its a problem at Frost and CAS. I think the reasons are multiple but include the fact that the most passionate fans travel and they tend to be willing to be more vocal. Second, Frost arena has been transitioned from a student friendly venue to a season ticket holder/old guy venue. If you get too loud over on the reserve side or stand up and cheer too much someone complains. It's really killed the atmosphere at Frost and I find it very disappointing. I don't think the place will ever be rocking again like it was for big games in the 80's and 90's.
                          My last year at State was 2002 and I was a big-time basketball supporter. In fact, I think I only went to 2 football games while on campus. The crowd at Frost Arena has changed so much that is hard for me to set foot in there anymore. Sure the crowd is "up" for big games, but the days of a regular raucus crowd are over. Although, everyone seemed ready to go for the women's WNIT game against Indiana a few years ago. I don't think I've ever heard it that loud in there.

Did we ever figure out how NDSU fans occupied about 98% of the east side bleachers? That will be a big problem next year when USD comes to town. If I had to guess, I would say that NDSU fans buy their seats early, while SDSU fans wait until the "week of" to look at the weather and the teams record before deciding to purchase tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                            Did we ever figure out how NDSU fans occupied about 98% of the east side bleachers? That will be a big problem next year when USD comes to town. If I had to guess, I would say that NDSU fans buy their seats early, while SDSU fans wait until the "week of" to look at the weather and the teams record before deciding to purchase tickets.
                            I recognize people are stretching some "facts" to illustrate a point but comments like the "98%" statement above encourages a few of the NDSU fans who apparently have a continuous concussion to claim that as truth. NDSU had a fabulous crowd -- really into the game as visiting crowds are prone to be, particularly when their team is playing well. But, the actual number was around that 3,500 figure. I don't know how well ALL fan bases at FCS schools travel but it seems hard to imagine a fan base traveling better than NDSU. (We did pretty well at Nebraska last fall and I'm confident we'd do very well at Fargo if seats were available: hat's off to tremendous season ticket support from NDSU fans in the Fargodome.)

Now, to your point about USD coming to town -- I think we have to have a concerted effort to have all seats filled by SDSU fans although I predict it may actually take a few years before that game outsells the NDSU game. That means everyone buy up as many tickets as you can afford and then make sure your friends with yellow and blue gear are in the seats. [That should be going on for the USD basketball games this year...SDSU season ticket holders can buy the GA tickets now. The GA tickets go on sale to the public November 1.]

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              I recognize people are stretching some "facts" to illustrate a point but comments like the "98%" statement above encourages a few of the NDSU fans who apparently have a continuous concussion to claim that as truth. NDSU had a fabulous crowd -- really into the game as visiting crowds are prone to be, particularly when their team is playing well. But, the actual number was around that 3,500 figure.
                              The east side bleachers hold about 3200 people - if your estimate that 3500 Bison fans were present, TK's estimate that over 90% of those bleachers were NDSU fans might be pretty accurate. It sure looked like it from my vantage point in the west side grandstand.
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                                The east side bleachers hold about 3200 people - if your estimate that 3500 Bison fans were present, TK's estimate that over 90% of those bleachers were NDSU fans might be pretty accurate. It sure looked like it from my vantage point in the west side grandstand.
                                I guessed about 75% my self. The thing I noticed most was most of them were standing. Pretty novel idea, but I like that.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X