Thomas O'Brien Quit the Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Thomas O'Brien Quit the Team

What a sad and tiring saga this has been. Hopefully it will have an inspirational endng. Good luck and thank you for your contributions to SDSU, Thomas O'Brien. Now it's time to move on. It's time for the coaches (especially), players (there's a lot of good ones left) and fans (including donors) to get this program moving forward, again. Go, Jacks!
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      No. As JJ said earlier in some other thread, Dale's tweet was vague and could have been about anything. People here jumped to conclusion because they/we are idiots. Pretty obvious it wasn't about TOB, now.
      I know they're kids and think its cool, but tweeting should be disallowed for college athletes. They don't understand the potential issues with "vague" posts. Look at how quickly many professional athletes have pulled tweets back after posting. It's just another issue coaches have to deal with away from the field.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
        I know they're kids and think its cool, but tweeting should be disallowed for college athletes. They don't understand the potential issues with "vague" posts. Look at how quickly many professional athletes have pulled tweets back after posting. It's just another issue coaches have to deal with away from the field.
        I disagree. They are adults and should be able to choose whether they want to put something out there or not.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
          Many college coaches have disallowed tweeting. I'm kinda surprised SDSU's coaches allow it...
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            I disagree. They are adults and should be able to choose whether they want to put something out there or not.
            It's the choice of the coach, he's the boss. If he wants to make a rule that tweeting is not allowed it's up to him. You can enforce that rule in different ways, some formal and some less formal. Let me give you a for instances. Medical students are adults, however, they are also students at the Sanford School of Medicine USD. They are not allowed to post anything about their experiences specific to medical school on a blog, twitter or facebook. The issue isn't limited to legal consequences either, its about more than that. I am pretty certain that the coaches will put a stop to it if they feel its detrimental. Again, that may be by formal means like the medical students or by less formal means.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

To many know it alls on this board. Can't wait to see your posts when Sumner fails and the next and the next one. Let's just play Wildcat all the time, to hell with the quarterbacks.

Comment

Wow, talk about shocking. Anyways, after reading all of these threads I would like to say a couple things here. First off, thank you to TOB for putting it out there for the past three years, and good luck on the rest of your life.

Now, to respond to a couple themes I have noticed:

#1-The fans on the message boards were too mean to Tommy.

Were we nice about his performances? No. Did his performances deserve praise? I think not. What the hell is a starting QB doing trolling his teams message boards to read about himself during the season and off season, if this is the reason he quit? Was his confidence so low he had to read the message boards to get the backing of the fans to make him feel he was good enough to start? Shouldn't he be too busy for that anyways with the responsabilty of being the starting QB watching film, practicing, lifting, and school, as well as trying to squeeze in time for a life. Do you think that Tim Tebow, Christian Ponder, Aaron Rodgers, or any other college QB reads/read this crap we write? Seriously people, you have way too high of an opinion of your posting if you think that is the case.

#2- The defense and everybody else is our main problem, you big meanies took it out on the wrong guy.

Well first off, most of the people posting this were/are staunch TOB supporters to the death. Most people with a rational brain wanted to see a change. Secondly, you are underestimating the impact that a QB can have. How much and how fast does it suck momentum when a QB throws a pick? Its HUGE! It sucks the wind out of the whole team. Now, make it inside the redzone. For a TD the other way. Did anyone notice what happend to the D after the slide and this pick six? When we were starting to mount what would have been the beginnings of a comeback, the D actually played pretty well for a couple series. Then boom, the infamous slide, and then the pick six the other way, and the D becomes a seive. Anybody think that might be because the D is thinking, well, here we go again? Nevermind the momentum shift those two things caused. The performances we were getting from the QB spot was affecting the whole teams mentality. I wouldn't doubt that the teams comes out with a second wind in this next game, at least for a while. Then it depends on Sumners performance. Couple picks, probrably puts the teams head in the ****ty. But a few good series, whole new mentality for the guys. Now, do I find it to be an acceptable mindset for the rest of the team? HELL NO! That just shows me that NOBODY ELSE IS STEPPING UP TO THE CHALLENGE TO BE A LEADER. Which means the whole team turns to look at the QB spot for leadership. Which is what you are supposed to be at QB. Hell, everybody and their brother knows that.

#3- He just decided to quit and good on him for following his heart.

First, I would like to state that I have no problem with TOB quitting, if he doesn't have the drive to play anymore I personally don't want him on the team having that mentality to drag people down with, and I hope that he has a good life after SDSU. Sounds harsh, but reality is harsh. Whats overlooked by this is the amount of guys who have busted their asses for this team but are still gutting it out after not ever starting. Guys like Dom Claire. When you say oh well thats honkey dorey TOB, I would have done the same thing if I didn't want it, you are somewhat detracting from the effort that Dom and Co. put in, saying that the mentality of well I'm not starting and things aren't going my way is OK. I think that's bull. With the amount of time and effort one puts in for college fb, the teams becomes your family of sorts that you work and sweat and bleed for. That's what bugs me about his quitting midseason. He quit on the guys who put a lot of work into this season, he could have at least stuck it out to the end of the year out of respect for those guys. Now, if it was because the team turned on him and made him into an outcast, well then I think its fine for him to do this. Let me clarify what I am saying here. I am OK with Tommy quitting, but I think his reasoning (from what we hear, which will never be the truth methinks) is very very poor.

Now, onto the Sumner era. Will it be an era filled with victorys and the MVFC bowing at our feet? ****, I hope that it just involves the qb making sound decisions. He doesn't have to be a gamebreaker, just a game manager this year. Keep it so the team has a chance to win. If the defense is givin up 35-40 pts a game, thats not on him. The people who will rag on him the most will be those staunch TOB supporters. Also, to the person who said the Crawford situation was different, you are correct. He was actually playing pretty decent ball, and people were screaming for TOB BEFORE he got hurt. I remember it vividly, because I NEVER posted for him being pulled, I argued against it. Go ahead and check.

Anyways, I hope that this big distraction serves to pull the team together into a juggernaut that tears through the conference instead of this causing them to REALLY fall apart at the seams.

Whew. I think thats the longest post I have ever made.
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

At the end of a tough day I remember what my legion baseball coach told me one time "The Sun will come up tomorrow and if it doesn't we will all have bigger things to worry about".

Comment

http://www.ksfy.com/category/185294/...autostart=true

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                      Wow, talk about shocking. Anyways, after reading all of these threads I would like to say a couple things here. First off, thank you to TOB for putting it out there for the past three years, and good luck on the rest of your life.

Now, to respond to a couple themes I have noticed:

#1-The fans on the message boards were too mean to Tommy.

Were we nice about his performances? No. Did his performances deserve praise? I think not. What the hell is a starting QB doing trolling his teams message boards to read about himself during the season and off season, if this is the reason he quit? Was his confidence so low he had to read the message boards to get the backing of the fans to make him feel he was good enough to start? Shouldn't he be too busy for that anyways with the responsabilty of being the starting QB watching film, practicing, lifting, and school, as well as trying to squeeze in time for a life. Do you think that Tim Tebow, Christian Ponder, Aaron Rodgers, or any other college QB reads/read this crap we write? Seriously people, you have way too high of an opinion of your posting if you think that is the case.

#2- The defense and everybody else is our main problem, you big meanies took it out on the wrong guy.

Well first off, most of the people posting this were/are staunch TOB supporters to the death. Most people with a rational brain wanted to see a change. Secondly, you are underestimating the impact that a QB can have. How much and how fast does it suck momentum when a QB throws a pick? Its HUGE! It sucks the wind out of the whole team. Now, make it inside the redzone. For a TD the other way. Did anyone notice what happend to the D after the slide and this pick six? When we were starting to mount what would have been the beginnings of a comeback, the D actually played pretty well for a couple series. Then boom, the infamous slide, and then the pick six the other way, and the D becomes a seive. Anybody think that might be because the D is thinking, well, here we go again? Nevermind the momentum shift those two things caused. The performances we were getting from the QB spot was affecting the whole teams mentality. I wouldn't doubt that the teams comes out with a second wind in this next game, at least for a while. Then it depends on Sumners performance. Couple picks, probrably puts the teams head in the ****ty. But a few good series, whole new mentality for the guys. Now, do I find it to be an acceptable mindset for the rest of the team? HELL NO! That just shows me that NOBODY ELSE IS STEPPING UP TO THE CHALLENGE TO BE A LEADER. Which means the whole team turns to look at the QB spot for leadership. Which is what you are supposed to be at QB. Hell, everybody and their brother knows that.

#3- He just decided to quit and good on him for following his heart.

First, I would like to state that I have no problem with TOB quitting, if he doesn't have the drive to play anymore I personally don't want him on the team having that mentality to drag people down with, and I hope that he has a good life after SDSU. Sounds harsh, but reality is harsh. Whats overlooked by this is the amount of guys who have busted their asses for this team but are still gutting it out after not ever starting. Guys like Dom Claire. When you say oh well thats honkey dorey TOB, I would have done the same thing if I didn't want it, you are somewhat detracting from the effort that Dom and Co. put in, saying that the mentality of well I'm not starting and things aren't going my way is OK. I think that's bull. With the amount of time and effort one puts in for college fb, the teams becomes your family of sorts that you work and sweat and bleed for. That's what bugs me about his quitting midseason. He quit on the guys who put a lot of work into this season, he could have at least stuck it out to the end of the year out of respect for those guys. Now, if it was because the team turned on him and made him into an outcast, well then I think its fine for him to do this. Let me clarify what I am saying here. I am OK with Tommy quitting, but I think his reasoning (from what we hear, which will never be the truth methinks) is very very poor.

Now, onto the Sumner era. Will it be an era filled with victorys and the MVFC bowing at our feet? ****, I hope that it just involves the qb making sound decisions. He doesn't have to be a gamebreaker, just a game manager this year. Keep it so the team has a chance to win. If the defense is givin up 35-40 pts a game, thats not on him. The people who will rag on him the most will be those staunch TOB supporters. Also, to the person who said the Crawford situation was different, you are correct. He was actually playing pretty decent ball, and people were screaming for TOB BEFORE he got hurt. I remember it vividly, because I NEVER posted for him being pulled, I argued against it. Go ahead and check.

Anyways, I hope that this big distraction serves to pull the team together into a juggernaut that tears through the conference instead of this causing them to REALLY fall apart at the seams.

Whew. I think thats the longest post I have ever made.
                      Great post.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Most of you yahoos need to get a life.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Until that time, I guess we speculate. Just no rumors.
                          I heard he quit to take over play calling duties from Meadows. Two birds with one stone.

Oh, you said no rumors?

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            Now, do I find it to be an acceptable mindset for the rest of the team? HELL NO! That just shows me that NOBODY ELSE IS STEPPING UP TO THE CHALLENGE TO BE A LEADER.
                            You do wonder who's taking a leadership role on the defense.

And you know what?

It sucks watching someone put their best effort into something and fail at it----and in a very public fashion.

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
                            And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
                            And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;
                            If it's time to move on, it's time to move on. No sense speculating about what might have been.

Comment

It does my heart good to see a lot of reflecting on things said and soul searching going on by posters of this forum,it means to me, anyway, that not only do posters care about the football program, but care also about the people who participate in it.Best of luck to Thomas Obrien in future endeavers.It must be tough for his fellow team mates to see someone with whom they sweated ,and toiled with both in practice and during games to leave in such a manner.Dale Moss is right,outsiders cannot begin to understand how this feels.My only hope is that somehow the team can come together thru all this......somehow.I think they can.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                                To many know it alls on this board. Can't wait to see your posts when Sumner fails and the next and the next one. Let's just play Wildcat all the time, to hell with the quarterbacks.
                                So you are cheering against the team? Wow
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X