Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thomas O'Brien Quit the Team

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
    The team quit on TOB long before TOB quit the team. TOB's dagger was him sliding feet first into the endzone.

People have every right to defend Tommy resigning. I think they are jumping to conclusions too quickly and will end up looking foolish defending a quitter. He is 21 years old, an adult per US law. Not a kid. I consider a Junior in college a grown man. This is America, you do have a right to quit; however, quitting in a bad situation is not the same as quitting to better yourself. And if you think he quit because of this forum, man get a grip with reality. Most players don't even know this forum exists let alone pay attention to it. They are coached to ignore the media, this forum is not even the media. If you think this forum is pressure...cmon get real.

Wait until the full reason for his quitting comes out before you rush to judgement. You may end up being embarrassed defending him. Be patient.

TOB quitting is a testament to his charecter. It is a poor testament to the Coaching staffs judgement and belief in him.

By quitting, TOB has proved his detractors correct. Your starting D-I QB should never, ever be a quitter. No wonder we were 5-6 last year with 6 players in NFL camps. How many kids would cut a deal with the devil for a chance to QB the Jacks? Think about it seriously.

By quitting, TOB is showing his selfishness. What about the 92 other players who worked their butts off for a chance to play and win? The players deserved better than a QB like this. The other players also are risking life and limb by playing D-I football. The QB position is by definition a leader and they deserve a leader with guts. Not a quitter like he quit on the one yard line. No excuse for that play. Please defend that play, I need some comedic relief tonight.

The coaches deserve better than this. It is their livelyhood.

The fans deserve better than this. How much money do you spend on Jackrabbit football every year?

Anyway, time to move on. TOB quit and by definition therefore is a quitter. Maybe by his quitting a cancer has left the team.

I believe that the players and coaches will rally around Austin. I sure hope the fans do. I feel good for the Jacks chances this Saturday with their new leader.

TOB is in the past. The Jacks have moved on. I hope the fans now move on. The Jacks now have a fresh start. Go Jacks!!!

Sorry, I'm on my daughter's computer that lacks the spell check feature.
    This comes off as harsh, but it's the truth. Nice post.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      Please don't call a kid a cancer. I hate that terminology. my mom had cancer, my aunt had cancer, my uncle had cancer, my grandma had cancer, another aunt died of cancer, 2 of my grandmas brothers died of cancer, my moms best friend died of cancer and one of my best friends grandpa died of cancer. I don't care what a person does or how bad his personality is he should not be called a cancer. And from everything I've heard he was not a cancer, and if I'm not mistaken his mom had cancer.

I think the fans should rally around whoever the QB is and around the team in general. Some people weren't doing that before.
      You are right. I sincerely apologize. Scourge would have been a better word. I wrote it to fast. Everyone is affected by cancer, I am sorry and hope you accept my apology.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
        You are right. I sincerely apologize. Scourge would have been a better word. I wrote it to fast. Everyone is affected by cancer, I am sorry and hope you accept my apology.
        Its not just you, I just feel that word is described way too often for the wrong reasons.

Comment

Read Dale's last two tweets. I'd link them but I'm on my iPod. Basically what I've been saying in this thread. Well put Dale.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Tyler Merriam posted on Facebook that Coach said no decision has been made on who will start this week at QB.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              Its not just you, I just feel that word is described way too often for the wrong reasons.
              I couldn't possibly agree more strongly and feel like a jackass. I am so sorry. I didn't think.

Comment

Per Dale Moss' twitter. https://twitter.com/#!/DaleMoss

DaleMoss Dale Moss
                "shoutout to my boy @ThomasOBrien4 for following his heart ad being true to himself. All the skeptics I could care less what y'all think"

"Because at the end of the day we have a life outside of sports. It's easy to criticize when your not invested at all. #family #teamTOB"

"People who are on the outside looking in are #clueless."

Comment

I was only able to listen to the first 30 minutes of Stig's show. My impression was in what he was saying in that 30 minutes there was no consideration of a change. Did he know this going into the radio show? He had to have known.

I'm floored. I don't know what to think. I was ready for Sumner, but not in this way.

Best of luck in life to TOB. As much as he was loathed (including by me) for the last year, I still won't forget the Northern Iowa game in 2009. Ice water in his veins that day. It's just unfortunate things couldn't get better from there on out.

Comment

A couple of points and I will let it go at that. As for the criticism of the coach "releasing the information", Tyler Merriam asked Stig on his radio show, that after the Cal Poly game, was TOB still the quarterback in the next game. O'Brien had made his announcement at a team meeting at 4:30 p.m. (a half hour before the radio show started). Stig answered truthfully. What would you have done?

I get so tired of the constant second-guessing that goes on and the internet and fan boards have made it so a bunch of people, anonymous usually, can wail away. You should all read Terry Vandrovec's series on the psychology of athletics these days, and how wacky it is getting. TOB may not have been the guy and Sumner may be the answer, and maybe the coaches were wrong for not playing him. But the terms used by a bunch of posters were just ridiculous. They were right, of course, because O'Brien didn't single-handedly score 49 points for the Jacks. So, assuming all of you who were calling TOB out constantly, will let Sumner have a honeymoon, I look forward to all of your posts calling out the players on defense, or the offensive line, or whatever, if we lose a game.

TV, on his live blog, got continual questioning from "Rich" (who knows who that is), blaming everything on TOB, and Terry, in response pointed out a few actual facts, and yet Rich kept going, again and again, until TV finally responded, "I get it...you have had it with TOB." I think we would all be better off if fan posters would state their position and then move on. Repeating it over, and over, gets pretty tiresome for me, anyway.

I'll be at Illinois State, cheering on Sumner, and all of our other players. I will pray for a win...as the Good Lord knows, as well as we do, that we could use one.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                      Per Dale Moss' twitter. https://twitter.com/#!/DaleMoss

DaleMoss Dale Moss
                      "shoutout to my boy @ThomasOBrien4 for following his heart ad being true to himself. All the skeptics I could care less what y'all think"

"Because at the end of the day we have a life outside of sports. It's easy to criticize when your not invested at all. #family #teamTOB"

"People who are on the outside looking in are #clueless."
                      Wait, wasn't Dale just ripping him on Twitter after the game and saying he had no sympathy for people that keep making mistakes over and over?!? Seems pretty hypocritical to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackswag View Post
                        I feel so bad for TOB. On a football team when your teammate is struggling everyone needs to have his back. I know for a fact there is alot of fingerpointing going on in that locker room and most of it was going at TOB. Let's be honest though. Is TOB giving up an average of 40 points per game right now on defense? TOB wasn't playing great but lets be honest here, the blame should not be entirely on him. I would say the defense needs more work than the offense. Where is the accountability on the defensive side of the ball? Good luck TOB and I'm sorry that you got thrown under the bus before the season even started by your fans and most of all your teammates.
                        I disagree, he was given several games into his 3rd season as a starter before people wanted him benched. His teammates didnt quit when it got tough, he did. The D sure looks back when your QB gives the other team 7-14 extra points every game and has a hard time keeping drives going. The team has many issues, and it starts with the coaches preparing the team and getting every one all in, like they said, which clearly did not happen. TOB made his choice to quit, no one forced his hand unless there is more then what we know.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                          I was only able to listen to the first 30 minutes of Stig's show. My impression was in what he was saying in that 30 minutes there was no consideration of a change. Did he know this going into the radio show? He had to have known.

I'm floored. I don't know what to think. I was ready for Sumner, but not in this way.

Best of luck in life to TOB. As much as he was loathed (including by me) for the last year, I still won't forget the Northern Iowa game in 2009. Ice water in his veins that day. It's just unfortunate things couldn't get better from there on out.
                          SFJF99...you obviously didn't listen long enough to hear the whole story. Read my earlier post above for the information you need about the announcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Rabbit View Post
                            Wait, wasn't Dale just ripping him on Twitter after the game and saying he had no sympathy for people that keep making mistakes over and over?!? Seems pretty hypocritical to me.
                            Thats what I thought that tweet was about initially but after following a bit I think that could have been many things, because right before he said something how they should take TOB's ipad and dootle on it. Sometimes tweets are hard to desipher, it could have been for Teifentaller losing his backpack at the airport, which apparently happened before he found it. You see it could have been a joke as well.

Comment

Who know's what dale was talking about?... probably only 2 ppl Dale and GOD.

Comment

No. As JJ said earlier in some other thread, Dale's tweet was vague and could have been about anything. People here jumped to conclusion because they/we are idiots. Pretty obvious it wasn't about TOB, now.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X