Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thomas O'Brien Quit the Team

Originally posted by smoothjack View Post
    Now this is just silly. TOB quit, unexpected and unfortunate. Let's rally behind Sumner, and get some momentum rolling.
    Maybe this is what we needed to turn things around. Although im with RO, i feel bad that most of the blame was put on him. Apparently the pressure was getting too much for him.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      I don't have the ability to play college athletics, not by a long shot. The things in life I am capable of doing, I don't quit at. Your turn.
      Two jobs in 38 years and I stayed too long on the first one which lasted 15 years. Lets be more kinder to these guys who are well under 25 years, and are learning several lessons in life. I dont see eye to eye with RO, but I think he got it right. If he is doing things that are not making him happy why not leave. Its about happiness in life. I suspect he could go back to Winona and have a great year next season. I dont think that makes him a quitter. SDSU did not fit TOB. The sad part is that it took three years to find out.

Comment

Agreed, let's get behind Sumner and cheer on the rabbits. However, he said his "heart wasn't in it.." How long has his heart not been in it? Just since yesterday or for a few weeks now? Wow. Best of luck to TOB in whatever he chooses to do.

Comment

I don't have the ability to play college athletics, not by a long shot. The things in life I am capable of doing, I don't quit at. Your turn.

You look like you could have been a fullback in high school? : )

Comment

Can you do said things with a stadium full of your own fans booing you?

Can you do said things with forum pages saying you're worthless and that you should be replaced?

Granted, I thought maybe benching O'Brien may have been warranted, at the very least to give him a chance to get some time in on the sidelines and at the very least, get his mind re-focused. But if you had people scrutinizing every thing you did, jacks1, wouldn't you get burned out and tired of all the B.S. too?

I'm sorry he left the team. But some of the gloating on here is inexcusable. I hope people aren't this vicious to you when you screw up.
            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              If he's not happy, why should he keep doing it? If I was doing something by choice that didn't make me happy, I would quit. You've never quit anything in your life? He worked his ass off and finally had enough of the bull****. Good for him. I hope he does something that makes him happy.
              This!

If something that is suppose to be fun turns into not only a job, but something that you dred, it's time to move on. He put in his time and saw the writing on the wall and he has nothing to be ashamed of if he knows he put everything he had into it. Sometimes things just don't work out.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Thomas O'Brien's life will not be defined by playing football. He was obviously not happy. Why should he do things that don't make him happy? Jacks1, he is a 20something kid. Quitting on a football team that he didn't enjoy playing for will not matter in the entirety of his life. I quit something I hated doing about two years ago. I just quit despite the disproval of everyone around me. Best decision I've ever made an now people know why I did it. They can tell I'm much happier. Guess I'm a quitter too.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

If he's not happy, why should he keep doing it? If I was doing something by choice that didn't make me happy, I would quit. You've never quit anything in your life? He worked his ass off and finally had enough of the bull****. Good for him. I hope he does something that makes him happy.
                  so getting scolarship money and making a commitment to the team and school means little then? I know college kids change their mind and schools and majors and transfer etc, but the entire season all we heard was everyone being all in. He wasn't, but for him its probably the best to move on.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Two jobs in 38 years and I stayed too long on the first one which lasted 15 years. Lets be more kinder to these guys who are well under 25 years, and are learning several lessons in life. I dont see eye to eye with RO, but I think he got it right. If he is doing things that are not making him happy why not leave. Its about happiness in life. I suspect he could go back to Winona and have a great year next season. I dont think that makes him a quitter. SDSU did not fit TOB. The sad part is that it took three years to find out.
                    I do agree with this post. A lot of good points. I wish him the best but I'm not a fan of leaving mid-year...ride it out and explore options after the year.
                    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by smoothjack View Post
                      Now this is just silly. TOB quit, unexpected and unfortunate. Let's rally behind Sumner, and get some momentum rolling.
                      Not silly, in the least. I was challanged and I responded.

Comment

I quit a pretty good job as a teacher 10 years ago to go into broadcasting... I've had no regrets since and if anything, I would have started in broadcasting a lot sooner.
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I wish O'Brien nothing but the best. While I'm happy Sumner will get a shot now no one likes to see a kid quit who has been with the program for three years. I put a little bit of blame on the coaches for this for leaving the kid in the game when he was clearly struggling and overmatched. TOB's last game was the equivalent of leaving a pitcher in the game after he's given up 10 runs and can't get anybody out. I felt bad watching the kid out there.
                          “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Thomas O'Brien's life will not be defined by playing football. He was obviously not happy. Why should he do things that don't make him happy? Jacks1, he is a 20something kid. Quitting on a football team that he didn't enjoy playing for will not matter in the entirety of his life. I quit something I hated doing about two years ago. I just quit despite the disproval of everyone around me. Best decision I've ever made an now people know why I did it. They can tell I'm much happier. Guess I'm a quitter too.
                            I agree. He needs to do what is best for him. He wasn't enjoying himself. It wouldn't be fair to the team if he stayed on.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Not at all how I wanted/expected this to go down. Count me as a person who was thinking a QB change should be made, but not like this. I was hoping Sumner would be given a chance with TOB as an experienced back up in case that didn't work out or Sumner got injured. So it looks like Sumner gets his chance. I just hope TOB finds what he is looking for and is able to transfer somewhere, if that is what he wants. He seemed like a good guy, just couldn't get it done. I wish him nothing but the best.

Comment

Can someone who listened to the radio show tell me what Stig said? was he upset? matter of fact? etc..

Comment

Working...
                                X