Time for a change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time for a change?

Just a couple of seasons ago, a number of fans were trashing Ryan Crawford and calling Thomas O'Brien the future star of the team, which at the time had a wealth of quarterbacks. Mike Whittier, Lee Mondol, Dustin Lotzer where are you? It would have been especially nice if Whittier had stuck around. He was mobile and athletic and would only have been a junior this year. Obviously the staff has a lot invested in TOB. It probably wouldn't be fair to bench him now, based on the entire team (coaches included) getting thrashed by Illinois. Make a QB decision (and possibly a change) after the Cal-Poly game, which comes before the start of conference games.
    Last edited by Jacked_Up; 09-11-2011, 02:51 PM.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
      Just a couple of seasons ago, a number of fans were trashing Ryan Crawford and calling Thomas O'Brien the future star of the team, which at the time had a wealth of quarterbacks. Mike Whittier, Lee Mondol, Dustin Lotzer where are you? It would have been especially nice if Whittier had stuck around. He was mobile and athletic and would only have been a junior this year. Obviously the staff has a lot invested in TOB. It probably wouldn't fair to bench him now, based on the entire team (coaches included) getting thrashed by Illinois. Make a QB decision (and possibly a change) after the Cal-Poly game, which comes before the start of conference games.
      If there is going to be a change it will be this week and not next imo. This would give Sumner to get a non-conference game under his belt before conference play.

Comment

I was at the game. It was a combination of the whole team not getting it in gear. Poor OL play, poor tackling, blown assignments, play calling that will not work against an FBS school(When will the staff figure out that nearly every lateral type throw or play we call is useless? Many are returned for 6 by the defenses). HOWEVER, I do take stock that more than likely we could have turned in a stellar performance and still lost. This game, I believe, will light the fire under the collective @$$es. TOB will get the start against Cal Poly, if every one performs A+ except him, then I believe the coaches make the change. I also believe Stig needs to come back to Brookings 2-2(hopefully 3-1). The players can't just "make the plays" they need to be given good plays, IMO. There were a couple 4 and less situations we should have been going for it.
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Logic aside, there's no reason to think O'Brien won't start Saturday. What evidence is there that Stig will make a change at this point? Zero. Like it or not, that's just how it is. If you're not going to pull the kid until the last series during yesterday's debacle, well...that says it all. Stig's loyal to a fault. That's a great attribute for a friend, but doesn't always serve you very well as a football coach. If you want everybody to feel good, try soccer. Football games are for winning.

I guess I'd say O'Brien starts at Poly with a very short chain. Very short. I just don't think that will get his attention, though. This is his last, last, last chance. I've heard, time and time again, how great he looks in practice. I don't give a damn. It's time he produces or has a seat.
          Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
            If TOB has a stronger arm then Sumner then we're in a world of hurt. I've never seen passes fly nose down like I did TOB's today. There was no zip at all. At least when Sumner threw his couple to the flats they looked like they were thrown by a college QB.

I'll echo that I've seen more creativity from high school teams. Heck, the 9th grade team I coached the past couple years had a more complex running game than I've seen SDSU show.

TOB should get another shot against FCS competition, but Sumner needs a look too.
            I don't think you necessarily need an exceptionally strong arm to be a good QB. Sumner has a strong enough arm to play QB. A question to be asked is will we win the Valley Conference with TO at QB? I don't think so. But, I don't beleive that we will with Sumner at this time either. In the future?

Who should start vs Cal Poly? I would like to see Coach Stig say gentlemen - we will share the playing time this week at QB. Now show me who deserves the job. The most popular player on any team in times of trouble is the backup QB.

As far as last weeks game vs Illinois -- my mother told me if you can't say anything good about someone or something than don't say anything at all. SO MOM's the word from this Jacks Fan about last Saturday.
            GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
              I don't think you necessarily need an exceptionally strong arm to be a good QB. Sumner has a strong enough arm to play QB. A question to be asked is will we win the Valley Conference with TO at QB? I don't think so. But, I don't beleive that we will with Sumner at this time either. In the future?

Who should start vs Cal Poly? I would like to see Coach Stig say gentlemen - we will share the playing time this week at QB. Now show me who deserves the job. The most popular player on any team in times of trouble is the backup QB.

As far as last weeks game vs Illinois -- my mother told me if you can't say anything good about someone or something than don't say anything at all. SO MOM's the word from this Jacks Fan about last Saturday.
              GBGBGJ
              Great thoughts! I like the idea of splitting time next week actually.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                Logic aside, there's no reason to think O'Brien won't start Saturday. What evidence is there that Stig will make a change at this point? Zero. Like it or not, that's just how it is. If you're not going to pull the kid until the last series during yesterday's debacle, well...that says it all. Stig's loyal to a fault. That's a great attribute for a friend, but doesn't always serve you very well as a football coach. If you want everybody to feel good, try soccer. Football games are for winning.
                I will dispute 1 point with this statement. Stig is not loyal to 1 player over the team. If Stig is loyal to someone to a fault he is loyal to the senior class. He has always said they deserve every one's best for putting in their hard work over the last 5 years. If he feels that Sumner gives the Seniors a better chance at a great last season he would make that change.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Here's what pissed me off about the game. Besides us not showing up. Now I'm on old o-lineman and believe in this oline. I think it is a combination of play calling and our oline not showing up, in which they are not playing up to their ability. Stig's quote in the paper down talked the oline. I actually thought they were starting to roll and then we pissed down our legs. Zenner had a nice return, we had good field position. We came out and Zenner ran 2/3 very hard fought yards and the line was starting to get going. I think we had a first down or 2. Then we dont convert and Illinois scored again. We get the ball back. Zenner is not in, which I understand their rotation, but he was the only one having any luck. Not only did we not have Zenner in but we completely abandoned what was working and we came out 5 wide, spread offense and throw the ball. I believe we completed one pass and then TOB threw a pick. Meadows, or who ever it was. Why would you go 5 wide empty backfield right after we had our only!!!!!!!ONLY !!!! POSITIVE PLAYS. Zenner running was the only thing working. Nope lets try 5 wide. Thats when I said to myself. We have to have some one better calling our plays. Its like he thinks he is so smart and conceptualizes all these plays against every possible defense and by God he drew them up so we might as well run them. YOU DESIGN THESE PLAYS TO FIND WHAT WORKS, MAKE ADJUSTMENTS, AND THEN STICK WITH WHAT IS WORKING AND LAY IT ON THEM. DONT LET UP ON THE GAS PEDAL AND KICK SOME F'N ASS. Quit trying to be cute with it and snap the ball, hand it off, block and repeat!! That is what is going to win ball games.

One related question. I think if you answer this honestly you will have your answer in if we need a change at QB. How many games has TOB honestly won this football team? How many games has TOB honestly lost?
                  Southern Utah's QB almost won that first game by himself. Sure others help but he took the bull by the horns. Has TOB had one of those games??? because in 3 years he should have. If not find someone else who can.

Comment

A lot of programs use 2 QB's, especially early in the season and especially when one is struggling. It's early in the season and it appears our current QB may struggle in his next start. In this fan's opinion Sumner should have been in the 2nd series of the 3rd quarter and I think he should be called on it TOB struggles next week. I don't think we can win the big games with TOB, I hoped we could because he has that experience but I don't think the team believes. I'm not sure we can do any better with Sumner but I'm ready to see him try.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

One thing I remember with Berry is that while he did throw some interceptions, he had a short memory, and didn't lose confidence. I remember hearing the story that in the Iowa State game after throwing 5 picks, and basically getting lit up like an X-mas tree, he told Stig to not pull him. He continued to attempt to win each play, and attacked the defense.

I haven't seen anything from TOB that shows that type of confidence/competitive fire. He seems like a good guy, hard worker, great teammate. I've heard the stories about how he was able to get other players to spend extra-time over the summer, and that he spends extra time watching film. Was TOB begging the coaches to go for it on 4th & short? Has anyone heard him talk about a desire to compete? Does he want the ball in his hand? Do we have that guy on the roster?

Comment

Here is TV take on the ILL game and a quote from Coach stig

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ws|text|Sports

"He's No. 2," coach John Stiegelmeier said of the 6-foot-5 Sumner. "It was a point in the game where we were doing that with a lot of players, so there's no vision there. Thomas needs to play better. (Offensive lineman) Zach Buchner needs to play better. (Linebacker) Mike Lien needs to play better. You could say we have a controversy at all positions."

I guess we got our answer about a change coming. I am with the coach on this one and what I know about the game would not fill a baby's shoe.

Comment

I guess TOB will have to play better at Cal-Poly or we will hear Coach say that "he has to play better" against Ill. State.

Comment

Here is, to me, the most interesting tidbit Terry V. rounded up in his Monday recap:

"Saturday marked the 10th time in the last 13 games that the Jacks failed to score in the first quarter."

Are we prepared to play offensively? No we are not.
                            Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                              I guess TOB will have to play better at Cal-Poly or we will hear Coach say that "he has to play better" against Ill. State.
                              Yes that is the writing between the lines.

Comment

Just an observation,it seems Jake Steffen hasn't been mentioned too much.The man is a beast.A couple times he got in and narrowly missed a sack on Scheelhaase (sp) before he took off on a romp downfield.I garuantee he would have gone down if he'd of gotten a good grip on him,unlike the others who he made miss with ease.While reading the article on the Yotes win against EWU, they mentioned how they prepared extensively for this game to disrupt the comfort factor of the EWU QB.They mentioned how they played thier DE (?) (Star I think his name is) at every position on the DL to keep them guessing where he was at during the game.I was wondering if something like this might work for Jake and the jackrabbits too?They also tried to force EWU's QB to move in the direction away from his throwing arm,as they determined he wasn't as effective at throwing when he went that way.Also maybe something we could keep in mind if it helps to disrupt the oppositions QB.

Comment

Working...
                                X