Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Illinois GDT

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    They won last week and TOB played good, not great, and had the one throw that cost us. Throw away the season? Oh, hell no! Nowhere in there did I say anything about this being a throw away year. So , we get drilled by a good Big 10 Illinois team, this team can still have a very good season.

TOB has to come back next week and take care of the ball against Cal-Poly. If he can't do that then we need to look elsewhere.

I still look for this team to be a contender in our conference and to be in every game. If the QB, whomever it is, is going to give the ball to the other team then that just isn't going to happen.

SUPERBUNNY
    I'm not saying its a throw away season either, and one game against a Big 10 school isn't going to make or break the year. However, what we saw today from TOB was more of the same. He gets rattled and begins to make terrible decisions. Last year the excuse for not pulling him, even for a series or two so he could regroup was that there wasn't a backup. Well, we have a solid backup this year yet he didn't get any playing time till around 7 minutes left in what was a garbage game by half time. For whatever reason we will leave TOB in the game no matter how bad he is playing no matter how many times he turns the ball over no matter how often he makes bad decisions. If we are sitting at 1-3 and TOB is giving the ball up game after game it better be time for our coaches to begin thinking about the future of this offense. And from all indications the future is sitting at #2. Now, is Stig worried about ruining Sumner by putting him in before he is ready? Maybe, TOB was forced into action before he was ready and to this day I think a lot of his problems are mental. However, from all indications Sumner has a more confident personality. I would simply like to see our coaches admit that maybe there is an issue and try something different. Again, maybe it simply means pulling TOB 3 - 4 series into the game to give him a chance to collect himself and study what the opponent is doing. Maybe it means pulling him when he is playing poorly and seeing what the 2nd string can do. I'm not sure but if today is any indication it seems as if we intend to go with what we have, no matter how bad it gets. That's frustrating.

Comment

Pretty disappointed top to bottom except for punting/kick coverage. The defense was really the surprise. To give them a grade of D would be generous...gassed or not. The offense was pathetic. Quarterback pathetic. Lines pathetic. Play-calling pathetic. Prep by coaches pathetic, though that's not as uncommon as some would have you believe.

I can't help but think that our play-calling has to do with the coaching staff's lack of confidence in the quarterback. Beats me. I could be all wet on that, because I also find it hard to believe that Sumner isn't better than O'Brien when O'Brien is off...which isn't...well, it's just not unusual.

Hope there's no hangover. Time to regroup and take it to Poly.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        What do you know, everyone's savior Sumner (who I'm sure will be good) came in and didn't lead a TD drive, and that was against the 2nd (3rd? 4th?) team defense.

Can him too, time to pull Kline's redshirt.
        Sumner was leading the 2nd team offense though, and it was the best looking drive of the day.

"The Savior" thing is being overblown too with Sumner. There might be a few people out there that think he is "The Savior", but most would just settle for competent QB play. Sometimes you need to accept that you'er riding a pony instead of a horse, and you just aren't going to make to where you want to be on that pony. Better to go back to the stable than continue to ride a mount you know isn't going to go the distance.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
          The "dink and dunk" offense will not cut it against these stud opponents! No vertical passing game, equals these db's just sit on the receivers. It's ugly! TOB is not the answer but we need to put up with him until Sumner is ready. The announcers kept saying that TOB just locks in on his receivers! Yep, welcome to our world! Zenner played well. This game is lost mostly from the offense, AGAIN!
          illinois is a stud opponent?

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
            I'm not saying its a throw away season either, and one game against a Big 10 school isn't going to make or break the year. However, what we saw today from TOB was more of the same. He gets rattled and begins to make terrible decisions. Last year the excuse for not pulling him, even for a series or two so he could regroup was that there wasn't a backup. Well, we have a solid backup this year yet he didn't get any playing time till around 7 minutes left in what was a garbage game by half time. For whatever reason we will leave TOB in the game no matter how bad he is playing no matter how many times he turns the ball over no matter how often he makes bad decisions. If we are sitting at 1-3 and TOB is giving the ball up game after game it better be time for our coaches to begin thinking about the future of this offense. And from all indications the future is sitting at #2. Now, is Stig worried about ruining Sumner by putting him in before he is ready? Maybe, TOB was forced into action before he was ready and to this day I think a lot of his problems are mental. However, from all indications Sumner has a more confident personality. I would simply like to see our coaches admit that maybe there is an issue and try something different. Again, maybe it simply means pulling TOB 3 - 4 series into the game to give him a chance to collect himself and study what the opponent is doing. Maybe it means pulling him when he is playing poorly and seeing what the 2nd string can do. I'm not sure but if today is any indication it seems as if we intend to go with what we have, no matter how bad it gets. That's frustrating.
            Like I said, burn the tape and we're going back to Cali, Cali, Cali. If the probelms persist something then something has to give. Playing against a BCS opponent on their game exposes every weakness that we have. I'm pretty sure the players and coaches aren't going to hit the panic button, maybe we all need to take that cue.

We are still 1-1 which is well ahead of last year! Do we need to improve in many areas, you better believe it.

Off to numb the brain a bit after that one! Might take a stiff Pendleton or something.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I guess my question on the QB situation is did TOB earn the starting role in Fall Camp, or was he annointed and Sumner is back-up until such time as TOB graduates?

When's the last time a change was made at the QB position because the #2 gave the team a better chance than the annointed #1?? I'd go back to Andy Rennerfeld (sp) being named starter. Not as physically gifted as who he replaced, but he had the team in his pocket. Does anyone think there'd be any issues with the team if TOB was pulled and Sumner put in? Not saying that's the right choice, just playing hypotheticals.
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I've been a sarcastic ass in this thread about pulling TOB, but I would not be against putting Sumner in. I just don't think it will solve anything other than getting him experience. The offense philosophy is bad and needs to be changed.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                  I thought Nebraska was late in the year, probably remember wrong-- it was my Freshman year. Anyway, to me it sort of set the stage for the next three years of nastyness. The wrap on Ginn was he was too old and couldn't make the necessary changes--of course in those days they blamed it on platooning. The parallel I see is that the coach was accused of not being able to come up with new approaches as the game itself changed. Sticking with the same thing over and over. Some parallels there.
                  According to the media guide Nebraska was week 2 in 1963. In week 1 we beat Montana State and the next week after Nebraska they came back and ripped UNC and the rest of the NCC and closed out with a win over Arkansas State, the team that Illinios beat last week by 2 or 3 TDs. There are parallels, but Coach Stig is not Ralph Ginn and Ralph Ginn is not Coach Stig. They both like to take on a big opponent now and then and thats what we did today. The season is not over. We could still have a good season just as we did in 1963.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 09-10-2011, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                    I guess my question on the QB situation is did TOB earn the starting role in Fall Camp, or was he annointed and Sumner is back-up until such time as TOB graduates?

When's the last time a change was made at the QB position because the #2 gave the team a better chance than the annointed #1?? I'd go back to Andy Rennerfeld (sp) being named starter. Not as physically gifted as who he replaced, but he had the team in his pocket. Does anyone think there'd be any issues with the team if TOB was pulled and Sumner put in? Not saying that's the right choice, just playing hypotheticals.
                    2 years ago, TOB took over for Crawford due to injury @ Cal Poly. When Crawford was healthy he didn't get the job back, even though he was a senior. If I remember correctly a. most everyone on here was in favor of TOB starting over Crawford when that season started, b. most thought Stig going with Crawford was a 'loyalty move'.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
                      2 years ago, TOB took over for Crawford due to injury @ Cal Poly. When Crawford was healthy he didn't get the job back, even though he was a senior. If I remember correctly a. most everyone on here was in favor of TOB starting over Crawford when that season started, b. most thought Stig going with Crawford was a 'loyalty move'.
                      Crawford did get the job back, he started against Youngstown State and at home against Southern Illinois. He was pulled in the middle of the game and TOB started the rest.

Comment

Just got back to the motel from the game.

Coach Meadows is as big of a problem as TOB. What a disasater. We did not have a good plan, when our game plan failed to work, the offensive coaches did not adust. The offense did not give the defense a chance.

We all know about the little swing pass to the flats. Ron Zook sure was aware of it. We threw one slant pass that worked and never went back to it. We had holes for the running backs, but the plays are so slow to develop in the backfield that the hole closed from behind.

We did not try one deep passs down field. The Illini safety's were with in 8 yards of the line of scrimage.

TOB's first interception was inexcusable. He had plenty of time, but threw it right to Illinios. Tommy looked scared. Down right frightened.

Stig needs to step up and take control of the whole team, not just the defense and special teams. Stig is head coach and is responsible for Meadows.

Something needs to happen quickly or someone will get fired soon.

I am now gonna go out and party in the Illini bars. Will update further when I calm down.

The game was an embarassment to SDSU. We looked totally disorganized.

What a let down after the Nebraska game last year.

Comment

I'm watching Penn State - Alabama game today. On Alabamas first touchdown, their quarterback threw a quick slant in the endzone where he 1. obviously stared down the reciever, and 2. threw into triple coverage. He had about a 2 foot window to throw the ball into and made the play. The commentators raved about what a great read & throw it was. If the linebacker steps up a step, it would have been a pick, and they would rip on him for not looking off and/or forcing the throw into coverage. The margin is razor thin.

On TOB's Pick 6 in the first quarter today, the play was a quick slant to the second reciever. When you line up on the line of scrimmage, and see man coverage on the slot with outside leverage, and inside coverage on the interior reciever it is difficult to expect the linebacker to slide into a shallow zone coverage, which allowed him to be in the right spot for an easy pick. Great call by the defense, made easier by the fact that we run that play all the time, and never throw to either the interior reciever down the middle, the deep post on the outside, or the draw play out of that formation. Is that on TOB or the coaches? I really don't know.

On his second pick, TOB definately stared down the play. That said if he throws the ball with some zip while the CB is in a backpedal, it doesn't matter. TOB takes too long to read the play & make the throw, if he throws it on time & puts the zip on it that we know he is capable of, its a nice 12 yard gain. That may have been the longest throw we even attempted in the game today.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
                            I'm watching Penn State - Alabama game today. On Alabamas first touchdown, their quarterback threw a quick slant in the endzone where he 1. obviously stared down the reciever, and 2. threw into triple coverage. He had about a 2 foot window to throw the ball into and made the play. The commentators raved about what a great read & throw it was. If the linebacker steps up a step, it would have been a pick, and they would rip on him for not looking off and/or forcing the throw into coverage. The margin is razor thin.

On TOB's Pick 6 in the first quarter today, the play was a quick slant to the second reciever. When you line up on the line of scrimmage, and see man coverage on the slot with outside leverage, and inside coverage on the interior reciever it is difficult to expect the linebacker to slide into a shallow zone coverage, which allowed him to be in the right spot for an easy pick. Great call by the defense, made easier by the fact that we run that play all the time, and never throw to either the interior reciever down the middle, the deep post on the outside, or the draw play out of that formation. Is that on TOB or the coaches? I really don't know.

On his second pick, TOB definately stared down the play. That said if he throws the ball with some zip while the CB is in a backpedal, it doesn't matter. TOB takes too long to read the play & make the throw, if he throws it on time & puts the zip on it that we know he is capable of, its a nice 12 yard gain. That may have been the longest throw we even attempted in the game today.
                            Good analysis from TV. I couldn't see that it was a slant on the pick. I am used to slants being within 5 yards of the line of scrimage aka. Green Bay Packers. On this pick, the reciever, I thought, was 10 yards deep. I'll review on the DVR.

I think it is both the coaches and TOB"s fault. Meadow is the coordinator. Stig the Head Coach. And why in the world does Eidness always get off scott free on this post. He is the QB coach!!!! In case no one knows.

Trust me, the game looked worse in person than on TV.

Our lines were OK. D line got wore out and O line never had a chance to establish a rythem. You need to run the ball consistantly. Look at the first series. Gain 4 yards on a run. Throw the infamous swing pass and lose 4. Incomplete on third down. That is 100% on Meadows and even more so on Stig for washing his hands of the offense.

Tell me why I am wrong.

Sorry for being so negative, but need to vent.

Go Jacks.

Comment

I meant TV as in television not TV the reporter BTW.

Comment

Here are the game stats from today.

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports.../illsds11.html

Scroll down to the bottom and look at the play success broken up down and distance. Very interesting stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X