Illinois GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois GDT

As long as commenting is not allowed on the Argus chat, I'm out. I can see what's happening on the boob tube. Surprised there was no game day threat started before now. Here goes.

Early observations:

-After a good first series, D line is getting blown away.
    -We can't keep up with the Illinois RB and QB speed.
    -Nothing from the O so far. Nothing.

Got to change these things ASAP or it'll get ugly.
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Re: Illinois GDT

Never mind. TOB back to his old ways. Wonder how they might have sensed he'd dump it in the flats or within five yards of the line of scrimmage? Hmmmmm.
    Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
      Never mind. TOB back to his old ways. Wonder how they might have sensed he'd dump it in the flats or withing five yards of the line of scrimmage? Hmmmmm.
      Can't blame TOB for the play calling. The coaching staff needs to figure out how to change things up. Last 2.5 years have been terrible. Perhaps they need to learn what their players strengths are and not stick to the old "vanilla" offense. It didn't work last year with Kyle, and it isn't goign to work this year. Off tackle with Kool on 3rd and short against a Big Ten team? That is really thinking outside the box
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Fair enough. I did comment after last week's game that if we throw so many swing passes (and, granted, this pass was quick slant), more than one would be taken back to the house. I fear I was right. Line isn't really getting traction now, TOB is quite scared and the D is getting tired. Not so much as a first down yet.

Comment

We have to get some type of first down to keep the defense off the field for at least a little while. As for the play calling, one of 2 things are happening. Either you aren't showing any creativity at all or you have zero confidence in your QB to throw over the middle or downfield....either way it's not a good situation.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            Can't blame TOB for the play calling. The coaching staff needs to figure out how to change things up. Last 2.5 years have been terrible. Perhaps they need to learn what their players strengths are and not stick to the old "vanilla" offense. It didn't work last year with Kyle, and it isn't goign to work this year. Off tackle with Kool on 3rd and short against a Big Ten team? That is really thinking outside the box
            I too believe the play calling has been terrible, but what are TOB's strengths? I have yet to see the potential everyone keeps hoping for? How long do we have to wait for him to mature? Not blaming it all on him, but why not give someone else a chance?

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
              Fair enough. I did comment after last week's game that if we throw so many swing passes (and, granted, this pass was quick slant), more than one would be taken back to the house. I fear I was right. Line isn't really getting traction now, TOB is quite scared and the D is getting tired. Not so much as a first down yet.
              The Jacks needed, like last year at Nebraska, to have Illinois struggle to keep them in the game. That isn't happening right now.

This staff just isn't putting their players in a position to succeed. We know that TOB's strength isn't throwing the swing passes, but yet that is what they call. And, I believe, that Kool's strength isn't running between the tackles, but since that is what this team has done in Stig's 15 years they keep doing it.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

35-3, Illini at the half . . . not much more to say.

Comment

Not much went right in the first half. It's 35-3 at the break. I expected this at Nebraska last year. Today, I expected to compete. This game has featured little if any competition. Brutal.

Comment

Said I would be impressed if we were within 21. Our play calling has been atrocious for 2+ years now. It was bad last week, and now we are playing a team that can do something about it. Changes need to be made on the coaching staff.

To always lay the blame on TOB is ridiculous.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

There isn't any part of the Jackrabbit team that has an advantage over Illinois. They're overmatched everywhere. TOB looks terrible. Hopefully see Sumner for a bit in the second half just to see what he can do.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

I guess the frustrating thing to me is we don't even TRY to go downfield with it. I honestly don't mind swing passes or WR screens, but that's all we throw. The BTN commentators mentioned how Illinois knows there is no vertical threat and don't even backstep anymore.

Didn't expect the game to get this out of hand, that's for sure.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                          I honestly don't mind swing passes or WR screens
                          I do.

WE RUN THE SAME FIVE PLAYS. OVER AND OVER. It's been the same way for two ****ing years. Changes need to be made. If the staff we have in place cannot make adequate changes, then the staff need to be changed.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Ugh... play calling... is... bad... and TOB hasn't shown anything either when he has got his opportunity. You can't keep on the training wheels on a 3rd year starting QB. If you don't trust him enough to open up the offense, then put someone else in and get them experience. I saw some positive signs against SUU from O'Brien, but everything he did last year is resurfacing in this game (i.e. the slant pick off for the TD, he stared down the receiver, Linebacker read it and picked it; if you look at the play, the inside slant route was open, but his mind was made up where he was going before the snap).

I truly was rooting for TOB to make the necessary progress to be a good QB, because he seems to work hard and seems like a likeable guy, but he just doesn't have it.

Hoping to see some positives in the second half...
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

We can blame the play calling all we want but for people not to put blame on TOB as well is ridiculous. He looks scared, he continues to stare down receivers, he is inaccurate and the passes he does complete are ususually because the receiver made an exceptional catch. Nothing personal against TOB but he is not the future of this program. Time to try Sumner, now.

Comment

Working...
                              X