Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fall Camp

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Just curious but do we have a option qb in Sumner. Seems like the last 20 QB's had ten pounds of concrete on each foot. With a strong line holding their blocks I guess it has worked, but would love to see some new rinkles in the offense.
    I'd beg to differ that Andy Kardoes was a rather mobile QB...and one tough SOB!

Comment

Kardoes I think had the confidence in him and his teammates and with a strong but maybe not accurate arm and hard running really made things happen. When Berry was Qb, you knew he was going to make good descisions, his pocket awareness at the college level was amazing. Always new how much time and where to step into the pocket to make a great throw even as it collapsed around him. TOB has a strong arm but does not see the defense and gets worried to quickly even with decent blocking. Only can see 1 WR and stares the whole time with him. I hope the play book allow him to do better things this year and some drills in camp to help him make those changes.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Sumner is not an option quarterback. He is long and athletic, but he is a passer all the way, although he may surprise with his athletic ability and will pick up a few chunks of yardage when the opportunity arises. He has a big arm and can make every throw in the book.

I saw him here in Brandon in his junior year roll to his left and throw across his body 50 yards for a TD. And he was on the money. I don't know when he will get on the field, but before his career is over he will be getting attention from pro scouts because he is that good of a passer and has the height and athletic ability to play at this level and possibly beyond.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
          Sumner is not an option quarterback. He is long and athletic, but he is a passer all the way, although he may surprise with his athletic ability and will pick up a few chunks of yardage when the opportunity arises. He has a big arm and can make every throw in the book.

I saw him here in Brandon in his junior year roll to his left and throw across his body 50 yards for a TD. And he was on the money. I don't know when he will get on the field, but before his career is over he will be getting attention from pro scouts because he is that good of a passer and has the height and athletic ability to play at this level and possibly beyond.
          Thanks

Comment

9 days of practice to iron out the wrinkles and go out and prove yourself to win a job because in 10 days the real deal begins. I'm ready.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Eidness touched on these issues. Sometimes the QB's best play is to put his down and take a hit. He also mentioned that Sumner has the tools just needs the experience. Still learning the ropes as they pertain to the DI level including progressing through his options and reading the defense before the ball is snapped.

I respect TOB for the confidence he has in his arm. What I don't see from him is the leadership and confidence necessary to be a great QB. Perhaps he has developed some of that this year. When you watch him over center and in the pocket I don't get the sense he knows where to be looking, heading next he just seems to be chucking it and hoping sometimes.
              Good post.

TOB's issue, in my humble opinion, is his ability to read the defense and get the throw off. I don't think he has that ability. I think he has physical tools; I don't think he can make changes at the line of scrimage and he holds on to the ball way to long. From what I hear, this is happening all fall camp too. Lets hope for the Jacks's sake that I am wrong. I'll be the first to admit it. Rodgers, the GB QB, is a great example of what happens when a talented arm is able to read defenses and get the ball off quickly. The herd was talking about it on ESPN yesterday. Great arm + high Wunderlick = victories. What is more important - a great arm vs. smarts. I'd argue smarts ie: Tom Brady and Joe Montana (smarts) vs. great arms ie: Brett Favre and Jeff George.

The game needs to slow down for TOB.

Regardless, if the Jacks aren't able to stop the run, all of the QB talk won't matter. Some people are having faith in Burke, but he was a Juco for a reason. We sure could use an Eric Schroder type for sure. Is the O-line great this year or the D-line poor? Or both?

My worry is the big beef in the middle of the D line and the ability to stop the run. We can have the greatest LB's in the conferance, but without the beef up front, it won't matter.

As mitchell says, we'll find out shortly.

I

Comment

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about football, but maybe someone who does can clue me in.The QB knowes the pass routes his receivers are running,so in theory he should be able to locate thier position on the field quickly.The trick is to find the one that's open and learn to ignore the ones that aren't, while all the time being aware that at any second ,some big ,nasty lineman can come crashing through the line and rip your head off.
                When the blocking fails,the play has little chance to succeed,so it's run for your life, or throw the ball away to prevent negative yardage,too much of this scenario and the chances the team has to win the game are greatly diminished.SO,if you've got four guys running pass routes,and you can only watch one at a time,the solution might stem from something as simple as looking around a lot more than simply concentrating on one receiver who may never get open enough to throw to.
                It's a tough job and requires a special individual at the Div one level.Sorry about the simplistic post, but sometimes the answer is overlooked by making the problem too difficult to solve.This has been stated repeatedly ,i know, but it still bears repeating .
                Last edited by jackdaniel; 08-24-2011, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Great video posted on GoJacks with Coach Stig breaking down every position.

It's free to view and located at the home page under the LATEST VIDEO Section.

http://www.gojacks.com/mediaPortal/p...B_OEM_ID=15000

Some quick hitters I grabbed from the video:

- There's a position battle going on between QB Sumner & Jordan Thomas for 2nd string. A little surprised Thomas is in the hunt but it looks like he's put on 15 lbs from last year and is playing well this fall.

- A position battle for 2nd string RB as well between SR Clare, SO Winterboer & RFR Zenner. Coach mentions that Zenner has the nod so far. He too has added some beef (15lbs) and would compliment Kool's speed with some down-hill running at 6'0, 215 lbs.

- Mentioned SO Anthony Peete really coming on at DE. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes over Zach Bowers starting spot and Zach is brought in for passing situations. The coaches really like Peete and his name has specifically been brought up alot in the past year.

- Mentioned that DT & Secondary is weak spot for depth. Starting SS Wise has been out with tendonidous in his knee but Coach mentions that Skylar Luxa has really come on. Also says that Winston Wright has one of the CB spots locked down and there is a 3 man battle for the other spot. (SR Jackson, JR Godley, & FR Butler or SR Matthews)

- Special Teams: The Good News, we have a player dedicated to long snapping (was horrible last year and we rotated in 3 or 4 different guys)
                  The Bad News, Coach Stig mentions that the place kicking is struggling. SR Harris hasn't had a good fall, but sounds like Coach is going to give him a shot. RFR Syrovatka is more accurate but doesn't have the range. I assume that they will settle on Harris for kick-offs and 40+ FG's and Syrovatka for the chip shots.

Comment

Any new and updated photos of the new seeting? Thanks

Comment

I'll have to check out the videos posted on gojacks.com. TV's video with Eric Eidsness certainly didn't do much to encourage confidence in TOB. Well, it wasn't negative, or anything, but it wasn't really a resounding vote of confidence, either. Eidsness did said that Sumner has taken over the No. 2 spot, though. We'll find out soon enough (as others have said). Hope the D-line comes around. I think we'll know early on how the season's going to go. And by that, I mean...first game out of the chute. If we struggle to slow down Southern Utah and their QB, who is pretty solid, well...we'll be looking at two more weeks of dangerous QBs.

I'm ready.
                      Last edited by JackFan96; 08-25-2011, 05:27 PM.
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackfan2000 View Post
                        Any new and updated photos of the new seeting? Thanks
                        I just got a quick glance at the bleachers along the sideline and the main thing I noticed was how tall they were. They could be as much as twice as tall as the old ones. I also noticed that they were putting a parking lot behind the student-athlete center
                        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                          I'm not going to pretend I know anything about football, but maybe someone who does can clue me in.The QB knowes the pass routes his receivers are running,so in theory he should be able to locate thier position on the field quickly.The trick is to find the one that's open and learn to ignore the ones that aren't, while all the time being aware that at any second ,some big ,nasty lineman can come crashing through the line and rip your head off.
                          When the blocking fails,the play has little chance to succeed,so it's run for your life, or throw the ball away to prevent negative yardage,too much of this scenario and the chances the team has to win the game are greatly diminished.SO,if you've got four guys running pass routes,and you can only watch one at a time,the solution might stem from something as simple as looking around a lot more than simply concentrating on one receiver who may never get open enough to throw to.
                          It's a tough job and requires a special individual at the Div one level.Sorry about the simplistic post, but sometimes the answer is overlooked by making the problem too difficult to solve.This has been stated repeatedly ,i know, but it still bears repeating .
                          AND SAID PLAYER HAS TO DO ALL OF THIS IN 3-5 SECONDS!

It's a tough job! Not that I know, I haven't been a quarterback but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week. I do fancy myself a pretty solid armchair quarterback though and have been voted all-world a couple times. It is so easy to criticize and the criticism last year was fair.

The defense can sense it too. They will be bringing the heat on TOB this year until he proves he can find a way around and force teams to respect his ability to throw. Look for 7-8 in the box from the opponents until the Jacks establish a rythym. The OL should be good which will be a real asset for the QB.

If the Jacks have someone step up and be solid at QB we may have a pretty darn good team. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Looks like we now have an inflatable tunnel, per Terry V.

383052318.jpg
                            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                              Looks like we now have an inflatable tunnel, per Terry V.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]287[/ATTACH]
                              Never been a fan of them...total cheeseyness in my worthless opinion. I actually like them less than that, but I'll leave it at that .

On a side note, Dale Moss tweeted that he thinks he cracked his ribs again in the scrimmage the other night.
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I'm guessing that in addition to being a promotional thing, the tunnel is partly to avoid the weirdness of having the team standing on the field... waiting to take the field. The Dykhouse Center doesn't have a big garage door-type thing so that the team can come out en masse. They have to come out in twos through a normal door. So now a bunch of them can come out and fill the outside part of the tunnel without standing there waiting for something to happen. Makes for a more natural entrance.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X