Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fall Camp

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    My initial thought is that we don't have much at WR. Some people are going to have to step up big time, as well as TOB if there is going to be any passing game this year.
    Has anyone seen a defensive depth chart?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Rabbit View Post
      Is anyone else wondering why Dom Clare is tweeting the Depth Chart?! I realize its nice that we have something to talk about, and that it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone where people are playing, but still... Keep that stuff in house, Dom. If you are tweeting that, I'm sure you are reading this.
      I've had a picture of the depth chart on my phone for awhile, but refrained from sharing it on here for this reason. I'm sure Dom had the go ahead, though. Mine was from Spring as well.

Originally posted by mitchell View Post

(Seems like the LG, LT & the RG, RT are switched around from last year, might be a typo)

And on that note, the depth chart I have, the line is flipped from what you posted/he tweeted. I have Fick at RT, Buchner at RG, Castle at C, Parker at LG and Witzmann at LT.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        Frankly I want to see some good running packages this year. No more shift tight ends and run strong side. I want to see the I, and split backs, or others. Our strength will be the offense line, and if we let them carry us with the Kools speed and Doms talent he has but havent seen much of yet. If we get to pass happy to start we are screwed unless TOB figured out how to connect on a ten yard out. If the run game goes strong that opens up for his arm so he should get enough protection to hit down field if he doesnt dance to much and get scared. If we play smart on offense and dont keep the D out there to long we will have a much improved year. If TOB struggles again this year Sumner gets the start next year for sure IMO.
        I don't doubt that if TOB struggles that we'll see Sumner this season. At the MVC Media day, Stig made it sound like the rope is pretty short with TOB and they won't hesitate to pull him if he struggles.

Comment

It look like the GoJacks.com roster is updated with the new freshman.

Some notes:

Players added to roster since spring
          FR OL Pat Dutton, 6-3" 220, Blair, Nebraska
          FR WR Matt Raymond, 5'9" 160, Elkhorn, Nebraska - First team All-State class B

SO DL Kyle Dykstra, 6'4" 260, Princeton, Minnesota (Ventura JUCO) Was originally a preferred walk-on for the Gophers
          JR TE David Hettiger, 6'3" 245, Oak Lawn, Illinois (Harper JUCO / UNO transfer)
          SR P Jason Schlautman, 6'2" 195, Columbus, Nebraska (UNO transfer)
          Last edited by mitchell; 08-08-2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
            Has anyone seen a defensive depth chart?
            I doubt one will surface but here's my stab at it (*Denotes returning starter)

DE
            SR Jake Steffen*
            JR Joe Kennedy / SO Anthony Peete
            RFR Auston LaBlance

DE
            SR Zach Bowers*
            SR Eric Wood
            RFR Eric Tuschen / RFR Nick Krings
            FR J.R. Plote

DT
            JR Andy Mink*
            JR Josiah Fitzsimmons
            SO Kyle Dykstra

DT
            SO Chase Douglas* / JR Bryan Burke
            SO Simote Moala
            FR Tory Dibb

OLB
            SR Erich Feller / JR Ross Shafrath
            JR Kyle VanVoorst / RFR Jack Sherlock
            FR Trent Mason

MLB
            SR Mike Lien*
            JR Chris Tracy
            FR T.J. Lally
            FR Brandon Mohr

OLB
            SR Dirk Kool*
            SO R.C. Kilgore
            RFR Robbie Jelsma
            FR Ben Muff

CB
            SR Daryl Jackson*
            SO Travis Lindstrom
            FR Je Ryan Butler

CB
            SO Winston Wright
            JR David Godley
            FR Joe Martinson / FR Jimmie Forsythe

SS
            JR Bo Helm / SR Rodkem Matthews / JR Sylar Luxa
            JR Brett Tigges

FS
            SR Anthony Wise*
            SR Rodkem Matthews
            FR Jake Gentile / FR Mark Pickerel

* Not quite sure where to place Matthews. He played at CB for his whole career until he was moved to Safety to compete for the starting spot. I'm guessing he will be similar to Joe Blackman a few years ago in that he will be able to help out at any of the DB spots.

Depth is a bit short at a few spots (DL, CB, S) so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few freshman get their redshirts pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Rabbit View Post
              I just hope we get some Twit Pics from Stig Pop and the meeting rooms, while he's at it.
              Maybe we'll be seeing some @MadManual action before too long.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                I doubt one will surface but here's my stab at it (*Denotes returning starter)

DE
                SR Jake Steffen*
                JR Joe Kennedy / SO Anthony Peete
                RFR Auston LaBlance

DE
                SR Zach Bowers*
                SR Eric Wood
                RFR Eric Tuschen / RFR Nick Krings
                FR J.R. Plote

DT
                JR Andy Mink*
                JR Josiah Fitzsimmons
                SO Kyle Dykstra

DT
                SO Chase Douglas* / JR Bryan Burke
                SO Simote Moala
                FR Tory Dibb

OLB
                SR Erich Feller / JR Ross Shafrath
                JR Kyle VanVoorst / RFR Jack Sherlock
                FR Trent Mason

MLB
                SR Mike Lien*
                JR Chris Tracy
                FR T.J. Lally
                FR Brandon Mohr

OLB
                SR Dirk Kool*
                SO R.C. Kilgore
                RFR Robbie Jelsma
                FR Ben Muff

CB
                SR Daryl Jackson*
                SO Travis Lindstrom
                FR Je Ryan Butler

CB
                SO Winston Wright
                JR David Godley
                FR Joe Martinson / FR Jimmie Forsythe

SS
                JR Bo Helm / SR Rodkem Matthews / JR Sylar Luxa
                JR Brett Tigges

FS
                SR Anthony Wise*
                SR Rodkem Matthews
                FR Jake Gentile / FR Mark Pickerel

* Not quite sure where to place Matthews. He played at CB for his whole career until he was moved to Safety to compete for the starting spot. I'm guessing he will be similar to Joe Blackman a few years ago in that he will be able to help out at any of the DB spots.

Depth is a bit short at a few spots (DL, CB, S) so I wouldn't be surprised to see a few freshman get their redshirts pulled.
                Thanks Mitchell. I see a really good battle at DT between Josiah and Chase. Ditto for SS between Rodkem, Bo, and Skylar. Kilgore could make some noise at OLB opposite Kool. Guess I'm missing the lack of depth at Safety, but I sure see it missing at D line and CB.

Comment

Has anyone on campus been watching the camp in Brookings? Hopefully we get plenty of news today with the Media day.

The thing I notice, not in person, is there really isn't a lot of positions open. Maybe a tiny thread with QB and the turnover mission. Stig has made it quite clear - no turnovers this year. Sure we may not have a lot of all conferance types but we are returning a lot of experiance at a lot of positions, with the noteable expceptions.

After watching the Ring the Bell video, it makes me wish we didn't pull Cole's redshirt his freshman year. Can you imagine him coming back this year? His punt and Int returns were out of this world.

Comment

The more I think about sdsu football, maybe some will agree and others not. But we have had years where we were not expected to do much, yet seem to "over" acheive, if you will. I feel they reach the potential of people many didnt see(ie, Cory Koneing(SP)). Yet when we have high expectations maybe like last year was, we tank it and show worse then we probably really are.

So the way I see it is like when we first got into the MVC, we were good but we were the only ones who knew it. This year really think about it, probably the best offensive line we have had in years. Some might not think so but I really beleive it. Also, the most speed we have ever had at running back. More depth and experince at WR. So offensively the team had a year to work out the kinks, learn what worked and what didnt and play to stregths that we know have and can improve on. I will be extremely disapointed if i see our first series on the 3rd start with any 5-10 yard out passes. We should be able to run strong and fast to start and not put pressure on TOB passing to start the season. He showed he can make the passes his freshman year, when he can throw down field it will be able to really show what we know he can do. The more I think about it the more excited I am getting.

Same on D. maybe not the names and hype we have had before. I really only see questions at Dline but probably not as bad as we want to make it. line backers have talent and depth, our CB and safteies are a mix of expenince and youth, but I feel more potential talent then we have had in years. We have always had a CB or safety step up and play huge, Koch, Brodie, etc, I don't see why that would change this year. If anything special teams is my concern. We were great at getting field position for years but last year was weak. Our punting was great but FG team lacked. Hope they clean that up this year.

I see no reason why we can not be the top half of the confence this year. playoffs maybe not, but finish 3 or 4th is more then practical.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

rep points goon, well stated.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                        The more I think about sdsu football, maybe some will agree and others not. But we have had years where we were not expected to do much, yet seem to "over" acheive, if you will. I feel they reach the potential of people many didnt see(ie, Cory Koneing(SP)). Yet when we have high expectations maybe like last year was, we tank it and show worse then we probably really are.

So the way I see it is like when we first got into the MVC, we were good but we were the only ones who knew it. This year really think about it, probably the best offensive line we have had in years. Some might not think so but I really beleive it. Also, the most speed we have ever had at running back. More depth and experince at WR. So offensively the team had a year to work out the kinks, learn what worked and what didnt and play to stregths that we know have and can improve on. I will be extremely disapointed if i see our first series on the 3rd start with any 5-10 yard out passes. We should be able to run strong and fast to start and not put pressure on TOB passing to start the season. He showed he can make the passes his freshman year, when he can throw down field it will be able to really show what we know he can do. The more I think about it the more excited I am getting.

Same on D. maybe not the names and hype we have had before. I really only see questions at Dline but probably not as bad as we want to make it. line backers have talent and depth, our CB and safteies are a mix of expenince and youth, but I feel more potential talent then we have had in years. We have always had a CB or safety step up and play huge, Koch, Brodie, etc, I don't see why that would change this year. If anything special teams is my concern. We were great at getting field position for years but last year was weak. Our punting was great but FG team lacked. Hope they clean that up this year.

I see no reason why we can not be the top half of the confence this year. playoffs maybe not, but finish 3 or 4th is more then practical.
                        I like the optimism. So. Utah is picked to win their conference this yr so will be a great test to start the season!

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                          I like the optimism. So. Utah is picked to win their conference this yr so will be a great test to start the season!
                          They have an outstanding quarterback that put up great numbers last year and he will be a challenge for our defense.

His name is Brad Sorensen and here is his bio
                          http://www.suutbirds.com/ViewArticle...&Q_SEASON=2011

Comment

Stig Mic'd up....very enjoyable. The best part is the distrust of the French....

http://www.gojacks.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=791917&db_oem_id=15000

With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I like SDSU's chances this year. This program isn't ready IMO to handle big expectations like they had last season. At the moment we are much more suited to the underdog, no one believes in us role. We might not have the proven star power but as long as the injury bug doesn't hit, we're pretty solid all-around.

TV posted a pic of the defensive depth chart and I'd have to say my previous guess was pretty close.

Some interesting tidbits:

- Sophomore Anthony Peete who was listed at LB last season put on weight and is now listed as a possible starter at DE.

- Junior Chris Tracy has overtaken both SR Erich Feller & JR Ross Shafrath for a starting OLB position.

- With only 5 total CB's listed, there's a good shot that 2 true freshman will play this season (Butler & Martinson)

- Senior Anthony Wise has started the past couple season at Free Safety but has rotated over to Strong Safety this season.

Here's the D Depth Chart:

DE
                              SR Zach Bowers / SO Doug Peete
                              SR Eric Wood
                              RFR Eric Tuschen

DE
                              SR Jake Steffen
                              RFR Auston LaBlance

NT
                              JR Andy Mink
                              JR Josiah Fitzsimmons
                              SO Simote Moala

DT
                              SO Chase Douglas
                              JR Bryan Burke
                              SO Kyle Dykstra

WILL LB
                              SR Dirk Kool
                              SR Erich Feller
                              JR Ross Shafrath
                              RFR Jack Sherlock

MIKE LB
                              SR Mike Lien
                              JR Kyle VanVoorst
                              RFR Robbie Jelsma

SAM LB
                              JR Chris Tracy
                              SO R.C. Kilgore

LEFT CB
                              SO Winston Wright
                              FR Je Ryan Butler
                              FR Joe Martinson

RIGHT CB
                              SR Darryl Jackson
                              JR David Godley

FS
                              JR Bo Helm / SR Rodkem Matthews
                              SO Travis Lindstrom
                              SO Alex Kling

SS
                              SR Anthony Wise
                              JR Skyler Luxa
                              JR Brett Tigges

Comment

Watching the stig "mic"-ed up video, I saw several plays run out of the "pistol".

Just something I noticed.

Comment

Working...
                                X