Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grass v Turf

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Without a doubt a properly maintained and not overused natural grass surface is much preferred over any form of synthetic field. There is no argument to the contrary. However, SDSU doesn't have a properly maintained not overused natural grass surface at this time. Solution in my mind is to make CAS excluseviley for Jackrabbit football and improve the natural grass surface as described in previous posts.

That will require some further dicussions with Brookings HS but perhaps something can be worked out. Perhaps it cannot. I don't want to see artificial turf at CAS, it's just not the right thing to do.
    The problem is that, because of the agreement, the HS no longer has another viable option to play their home games. I seem to remember being at Bob Sheldon for football games when we would come to town in high school. Hasn't the Bob now been converted to a strictly baseball venue? Of course, SDSU repaying the cost of the lights to the BHS may allow them to turn it back into a FB/BB field.

I think a problem bigger than a HS team playing on the field is having a natural surface in the climate we have. Does anyone really expect natural grass to look decent at the end of October and into November? The grounds crew struggles to keep it green in the Spring and Summer.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

A frozen or slickened artificial surface is no better IMHO. I watched those late season games up at UMD last year and the players were tip toeing around on the field to avoid wiping out, it wasn't pretty. You do the best with the surface that you can and I think we've done that.

I'm not going to be convinced by anyone that the substantial cost of artificial turf is worth it. The benefits of turf are not great enough to justify replacing the grass at CAS, again my opinion. Now, if they decide to do it I'll support the decision wholeheartedly just like the uniforms. Hell, they can were tutus and play on an ice rink, as long as the players are enrolled at SDSU and representing it well I'll support them.

The focus of current fundraising should be on a fieldhouse with an indoor practice facility to allow access regardless of weather. When that gets accomplished and if those in charge desire it, consider the installation of an alternative surface at CAS.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
        I would like to see us stay with sod, but invest more money in a good sand based sod with drainage. It seems like we could hire a consultant to help us build a respectable so grass field. I think it's pretty cool that we play outdoors and on real grass. I know a lot of others feel the same way.
        My point earlier is that there is certainly someone at SDSU that could be a valuable resource that could get the field up to snuff. We grow stuff.

The other thing is that I don't know that the field has been a bad surface to play on. Are we all still having a kneejerk reaction to the field after the Wisconsin Lacrosse game? That was a once in a lifetime event and IMHO would have been looked at a whole lot different had we won the damn game. Then we would all remember the "Mud Bowl" differently.

I've had several BHS and SDSU coaches say that the Jacks do more dmamge to the field in warmups than any BHS football game. The wear and tear from the high school game is just not that big of a factor.

It looked like it was dead last year which is a bummer but if it is good to play on it isn't that big of a deal. It's grass and sometimes things happen with the climate that make the conditions less than ideal.

In the final analysis, the costs are similar so it comes down to how we want to our football team and the gameday experience reflect on the university. Do we want to look like a Bose State/Oregon or be more traditional like Michigan/Nebraska? I'm more for the traditional look.

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          My point earlier is that there is certainly someone at SDSU that could be a valuable resource that could get the field up to snuff. We grow stuff.

The other thing is that I don't know that the field has been a bad surface to play on. Are we all still having a kneejerk reaction to the field after the Wisconsin Lacrosse game? That was a once in a lifetime event and IMHO would have been looked at a whole lot different had we won the damn game. Then we would all remember the "Mud Bowl" differently.

I've had several BHS and SDSU coaches say that the Jacks do more dmamge to the field in warmups than any BHS football game. The wear and tear from the high school game is just not that big of a factor.

It looked like it was dead last year which is a bummer but if it is good to play on it isn't that big of a deal. It's grass and sometimes things happen with the climate that make the conditions less than ideal.

In the final analysis, the costs are similar so it comes down to how we want to our football team and the gameday experience reflect on the university. Do we want to look like a Bose State/Oregon or be more traditional like Michigan/Nebraska? I'm more for the traditional look.

SUPERBUNNY
          Lots of stuff said here. I agree with all the resources in plant science, there should be someone available. We did away with park management program with the 10 per cent cuts so that is a blow to finding someone who could work cheap in finding a solution.]

CAS has always had a drainage problem, and one of the reasons of digging down the playing field is out of the question. The campus where CAS is located is in a real low spot.
          Working on drainage and keeping the grass are my short term recommendations. If I had the dollars to donate, I would favor finding a new location for CAS on higher ground.
          Last edited by rabidrabbit; 08-09-2011, 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

SUPERBUNNY
            I believe that traditional feel of Nebraska football games is found on FieldTurf.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              I believe that traditional feel of Nebraska football games is found on FieldTurf.
              It is and I hate it! I'm talking more from a continuity of uniform look and overall feel of the program. You know what you are going to get from them this year, next year, and probably a decade from now with minimal changes. I could have used any number of other programs as an example there.

Some people like the Oregon/Boise State model with multiple uniform looks with a lot of flash. Not my cup of tea but maybe that is what the masses want.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Lots of stuff said here. I agree with all the resources in plant science, there should be someone available. We did away with park management program with the 10 per cent cuts so that is a blow to finding someone who could work cheap in finding a solution.]

CAS has always had a drainage problem, and one of the reasons of digging down the playing field is out of the question. The campus where CAS is located is in a real low spot.
                Working on drainage and keeping the grass are my short term recommendations. If I had the dollars to donate, I would favor finding a new location for CAS on higher ground.
                I know that the sidelines are always a mess after heavy rain but the field seems to be pretty good. Am I wrong on that?

Would agree that drainage could be improved and that may be the best option. The future of CAS is in the same spot with the Dykhouse Center there. Let's just make the best of it with the new stadium. Its hard to get too carried away with a venue that is used by SDSU 5 0r 6 times a year.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

There is no doubt the future at CAS is Field Turf. AD Sell has said so. It's going to happen.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It is and I hate it! I'm talking more from a continuity of uniform look and overall feel of the program. You know what you are going to get from them this year, next year, and probably a decade from now with minimal changes. I could have used any number of other programs as an example there.

Some people like the Oregon/Boise State model with multiple uniform looks with a lot of flash. Not my cup of tea but maybe that is what the masses want.

SUPERBUNNY
                    I agree that there needs to be continuity in a program. But I wanted to point out that you can have a "traditional" program and still have field turf.

The multiple looks debate is probably best left in the uniform thread.

They could play on concrete (insert DakotaDome Joke Here) for all I care as long as the team competes and puts out a competitive program. Will a substandard field hinder their recuiting? I guess time will tell. It hasn't hurt the team yet, but all it takes is one or two of our top recruits going somewhere else because of field conditions and I think you will see changes real fast.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                      There is no doubt the future at CAS is Field Turf. AD Sell has said so. It's going to happen.
                      This.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Makes me sad.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I'm going to be the doubter!! I don't have enough money right now to make sure we always have grass but I'm hoping to have it in the near future!! There should be a lot of doubt about my ability to do that as I've never undertaken a major fundraiser and I don't have any time to do so.

Save the grass!!
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

ANYBODY? Were we suppose to add 1,000 seats before SUU? If so, does anyone have any updated pics of the added seating? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackfan2000 View Post
                              ANYBODY? Were we suppose to add 1,000 seats before SUU? If so, does anyone have any updated pics of the added seating? Thank you.
                              http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread...554#post181554

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                I'm going to be the doubter!! I don't have enough money right now to make sure we always have grass but I'm hoping to have it in the near future!! There should be a lot of doubt about my ability to do that as I've never undertaken a major fundraiser and I don't have any time to do so.

Save the grass!!
                                I'll donate!!! Just don't tell my wife that I'm donating. She wasn't too fond of the Difference Makers Club membership.

Comment

Working...
                                X