Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Game

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    It seems you have a real beef against TOB, shot. I was at several of those games last year and I seem to recall there were several GOOD passes that he threw, only to have the receivers drop them. Or to have someone make a stupid penalty that killed a good drive. The Illinois State game really comes to mind.

Now, I'm not going to say he was perfect, because he wasn't. But at the same time, to have him shoulder all the blame for last season is a bit unreasonable. After all, this is a TEAM. Which means they WIN as a team and they LOSE as a team.

I thought we had a lot of talent last year, but the big problem I saw was that this team didn't take care of the details. And as any coach from Pee-Wee football all the way to the NFL will tell you, details are the difference-makers between mediocre teams and good teams... and between good teams and great teams.

Could Saturday have been a fluke? Possibly. We all have fluke-y days. But as Allen Iverson once said, "We're talking about practice. PRACTICE." What happens in a simulated game and an actual game is completely different... different mindset, different personnel, different strategy. I'm not ready to completely go into panic mode just because of one bad PRACTICE.

Now if TOB can't do the job in the game, then yes, he needs to be replaced. But for everyone who is clamoring for Sumner to take over and be the savior of the Jackrabbit offense, just remember this name....

Ready for it?

Helps if you're a Vikings fan....

Tavaris Jackson.
    Does that make TOB, Brett Favre or Gus Ferrotte?

Comment

Not quite, but at the same time, I would advise against making Sumner the savior of this team when he hasn't had a snap in a college game atmosphere. Throw him out there too early, and it might turn out to be a disaster.

There's a lot of time between April 16th and September 3rd. Plenty of time for TOB to get his timing patterns down with the receivers over the summer and study film and work with coaches. Like I said... this is a glorified practice and no one shows their best stuff that day. Even Nebraska was keeping things pretty vanilla in their spring game.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
        Joeboo, the coaches know they are in trouble with TOB. The Jacks football programs biggest problem is that currently, he might be the best we have. Do not expect a good season if he is. I wouldn't be suprised if he loses the players soon now also.

TOB has thrown too many INT's for it to be the fault of others. It is always the QB's fault no excuses like you like to give.

I asked for a rational defense of TOB and did not recieve one from you.

Please explain his red zone 95 yard return INT of last Saturday. Who's fault was it?
        I heard that the pick was because the WR ran a route adjustment that was different from the QB? So whos fault was it????

Comment

Not quite, but at the same time, I would advise against making Sumner the savior of this team when he hasn't had a snap in a college game atmosphere. Throw him out there too early, and it might turn out to be a disaster.

There's a lot of time between April 16th and September 3rd. Plenty of time for TOB to get his timing patterns down with the receivers over the summer and study film and work with coaches. Like I said... this is a glorified practice and no one shows their best stuff that day. Even Nebraska was keeping things pretty vanilla in their spring game.
          I'm not sure anyone is making Sumner the savior of the team....they are just saying they feel that 1 1/2 years and a spring game is a pretty good sampling size for what his traits are and whether he has made progress in overcoming his weaknesses.

While it is possible that he may change the patterns he has exhibited his whole life so far....I think the last thing any of us want to say 2 seasons from now is "wow, he stared him down the whole way on that pick, I can't believe we never made a change in the last 3.5 years".

Comment

I don't have a beef with TOB. He is a amateur college athlete trying to do his best. He is not a professional. Maybe he is not being coached properly. I've brought up the fact that Eidness is his coach. No one comments about Eidness. It is Eidness' paid profession to make TOB better. Is Eidness in charge of the passing game or does that fall to Meadows?

I did not say Sumner was better. I wrote that at least Sumner has the potential to run. Sumner also threw a nice deep ball that the zebra called back for a touch sack. Remember they were playing touch football with the QB's. Sumner is not even the second string QB. Currently he is 3rd. In my opinion, currently Sumner looks a little raw. TOB is the best QB the Jacks have at the moment. A good, veteran QB can make a mediocre team good. A poor, veteran QB can make a good team mediocre, Trent Dilfer being the noteable exception. It is not my fault that the game of football currently works this way. I sincerely think that TOB is doing his best that he can.

TV is paid to give his professional opinion. I happen to strongly agree with him today. Some days I don't, but today I give him his props. As TV wrote, the performance will hang over the summer. There was an opportunity to put it to rest.

A lot of people keep preaching patience with TOB. How much time does he deserve vs. players at other positions? It has been the Jacks way to not guarentee jobs and create competition amongst all positions from what Stig says. How patient will they be with the wideouts if they keep running wrong routes and dropping passes?

Coach Stig is all about winning. I trust him to react accordingly. Coaches get fired when too much losing occurs. Players only get benched.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
              I heard that the pick was because the WR ran a route adjustment that was different from the QB? So whos fault was it????
              I saw TOB stare down the reciever. What did you see?

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                I saw TOB stare down the reciever. What did you see?
                I was following Terry V on the argus leader and he just stated that the WR and TOB were not on the same page and that was the 2nd time it happened during the game.

Comment

I have a very close friend who happened to play for the Jacks in the not so distant past and attended Saturday's game. He's a very intelligent guy with a very astute football mind. I will take his word when he says that if TOB is our QB in the upcoming season, we will struggle mightily. He watched TOB make poor reads all day long and continue with his incredibly horrible mechanical habits. None of those poor habits improved since the fall and there is little hope these habits will improve. One can coach a player until he is blue in the face, but if the QB continues with these poor habits despite the coach's best efforts, looking elsewhere is a must. There have been statements made in this thread that continue to be optimistic, which I respect. I personally do not share that sentiment if something different is not tried. I can't stand to watch another season of missed reads both at the line and in the QB's route progression coupled with failing to step up in the pocket due to a fear of taking a hit. That may be what drives me crazier than anything else.

Maybe TOB should watch some tape of some past SDSU QBs to see what toughness looks like at the QB position.

My apologies for misspelling and typos. Did this on my blackberry.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I was following Terry V on the argus leader and he just stated that the WR and TOB were not on the same page and that was the 2nd time it happened during the game.
                    I think it was more than two. No problem. This is an example of TV messing up.

Don't mean to be so ornery today, but that spring game really disappointed me. I saw a lot of the same mistakes on offense as last year. It let me down. I thought TOB would have made some meaningful corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                      I have a very close friend who happened to play for the Jacks in the not so distant past and attended Saturday's game. He's a very intelligent guy with a very astute football mind. I will take his word when he says that if TOB is our QB in the upcoming season, we will struggle mightily. He watched TOB make poor reads all day long and continue with his incredibly horrible mechanical habits. None of those poor habits improved since the fall and there is little hope these habits will improve. One can coach a player until he is blue in the face, but if the QB continues with these poor habits despite the coach's best efforts, looking elsewhere is a must. There have been statements made in this thread that continue to be optimistic, which I respect. I personally do not share that sentiment if something different is not tried. I can't stand to watch another season of missed reads both at the line and in the QB's route progression coupled with failing to step up in the pocket due to a fear of taking a hit. That may be what drives me crazier than anything else.

Maybe TOB should watch some tape of some past SDSU QBs to see what toughness looks like at the QB position.

My apologies for misspelling and typos. Did this on my blackberry.
                      Hear! Hear!

We are obviously a divided JackRabbit nation.

Comment

As a SDSU fan I'd be more disappointed in having only 300 fans show up. (BHSU had over 500 for their spring game.) Then I would be because a QB made bad reads and threw INT's in April, against a defense that knows the plays being ran, with weather that was crappy. But hey thats just me.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          As a SDSU fan I'd be more disappointed in having only 300 fans show up. (BHSU had over 500 for their spring game.) Then I would be because a QB made bad reads and threw INT's in April, against a defense that knows the plays being ran, with weather that was crappy. But hey thats just me.
                          I think you missed the point of my post. His INTs and horrible reads in April are exactly what he did constantly last season. He did the same thing Saturday after 5 months to work and improve. Plus, he is terrified of being touched on the field. Sumner may be raw, but as my friend also stated, you can tell he has no fear and will step up in the pocket and try to make a play. I'd rather see Sumner step up and do that and throw a pick than watch TOB backpedal and try to heave it out of bounds to watch yet another Bison INT go for 6.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I think you missed the point of my post. His INTs and horrible reads in April are exactly what he did constantly last season. He did the same thing Saturday after 5 months to work and improve. Plus, he is terrified of being touched on the field. Sumner may be raw, but as my friend also stated, you can tell he has no fear and will step up in the pocket and try to make a play. I'd rather see Sumner step up and do that and throw a pick than watch TOB backpedal and try to heave it out of bounds to watch yet another Bison INT go for 6.
                            TOB will be the starter on a shorter leash. Maybe the Kline kid from Minnesota will come in and beat all of them out?!?! Not being serious here but I here great things about him..

Comment

How do you think his teamates feel when they are taking hits and their so called leader is afraid too? Listen to KUlaw - he is a great football mind.

Comment

TOB will be the starter on a shorter leash. Maybe the Kline kid from Minnesota will come in and beat all of them out?!?! Not being serious here but I here great things about him..
                                I don't know, his old teamate from Blaine, Dijon Star, didn't do a whole lot on Saturday... just kidding; I'll be patient with DiJon. He has not had a smidgeon of TOB's time. I'll tell you one thing though, Kline is not afraid to take a hit. He took a lot of hard hits in the tough Northwest Suburban Conferance.

Comment

Working...
                                X