Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Game

Originally posted by ghomestead1 View Post
    I think somebody said it best on TV's blog yesterday during the game. They, as in the coaches, were going to do everything they could this spring to keep the older qb's happy this spring in fear of them transfering after spring ball. I would say come fall it's an open battle and even if TO is the starter at the begining he will have a very short leash. That would have been the case this year but they don't have any confidence in the backup and did not want to burn a red shirt.
    I don't pretend to be a mind reader,but I have a feeling that trying to keep players from transferring is far down the list the coaching staff uses to determine playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      I don't pretend to be a mind reader,but I have a feeling that trying to keep players from transferring is far down the list the coaching staff uses to determine playing time.
      So you think the coaches would have been okay with going into camp with only one qb that's been in their system? I would find that very difficult to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
        U see one game on the web and u claim to be an expert on the matter? It is about so much more than that. If Sumner or JThomas are better QB's than they have to prove it. Its obvious to me they have not showed that or they would be #1. I believe one of TOB's interception the WR ran a route that the QB wasn't expecting. So who's to blame on that?? My bet is was the WR. Terry V stated it yesterday as he gave people updates of the game with conversation. Bottom line is that TOB is probably the best QB we have and we'll either win with him or we won't. Someone mentioned earlier that TOB didn't play well against UNI last year. Maybe he didn't but I do remember the year before when he lit up UNI at Coughlin. I understand that when things are going good the QB gets a lot of the ink and when things are going bad the QB also gets the blame. Thats just part of the deal. Football though is the ultimate team game and everyone has to be on the same page at all times.
        I've seen him play a lot of games and he just doesn't have it yet. I do agree that it isn't all his fault. He didn't get much help from anybody last year. I don't agree, however, that the coaches would move someone else up this early if they proved it. Stig stuck with Crawford when it was fairly obvious that he wasn't the best option.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

So you think the coaches would have been okay with going into camp with only one qb that's been in their system? I would find that very difficult to believe.
          Have any of the quarterbacks currently in the program told you that they will transfer if they are not the starter ?

Comment

I watched the Delaware game as well and here is what happened. The play calling was horrible early, the defense let Delaware get the lead and then TOB pressed a bit, however I'll say this I'll take a QB who isn't afraid to throw the ball then one that is.

I watched a couple of games that they won and then I watched the NDSU game by far his worst game. However I'll remind people that the 1st INT was a typical SDSU play that their lineman practically knew was coming, and the ones in the second half were after Minnett was out and they were dropping 7-8 back because of it.

If anyone thinks TOB was the reason the offense struggled didn't watch too many games, way too many missed blocks on the line, bad routes/drops by the receivers and then some of the play calling didn't help any either. I'm not saying TOB was great, but to put all of the blame on him is irrational. About as irrational as how fans react to spring games

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Have any of the quarterbacks currently in the program told you that they will transfer if they are not the starter ?
              No have not spoke with any of them. But put yourself in TO's shoes. If you came off spring ball and knew you would not be the starter come this fall and you had been the starter the previous 2 years wouldn't you think about transfering?

Sounds logical to me knowing todays kids.

After being at the spring game you would have to ask yourself why no other qb took reps with the 1's as unproductive as the number 1 qb was. Doesn't matter now though because its over and the battle will take place with all 3 in fall camp.

Comment

When is the last time SDSU had a versatile QB?
                We have one coming next fall in Kline.

Comment

No have not spoke with any of them. But put yourself in TO's shoes. If you came off spring ball and knew you would not be the starter come this fall and you had been the starter the previous 2 years wouldn't you think about transfering?

Sounds logical to me knowing todays kids.

After being at the spring game you would have to ask yourself why no other qb took reps with the 1's as unproductive as the number 1 qb was. Doesn't matter now though because its over and the battle will take place with all 3 in fall camp.
                  From what i know of coach Stig he's straightforward and honest. I can't honestly bring myself to believe he's got time to play mind games,or even would for that matter... he's got bigger fish to fry.

These weird statements made by (relatively unknown posters... to me anyway) others; makes me think some deviant such as lakes (or Stu)... that just like to get a rise out of ppl are out there starting this

If you'll note the most controversial things said in TV's chat are usually posted by Guest.. What lack of balls these guys have.

Comment

U see one game on the web and u claim to be an expert on the matter? It is about so much more than that. If Sumner or JThomas are better QB's than they have to prove it. Its obvious to me they have not showed that or they would be #1. I believe one of TOB's interception the WR ran a route that the QB wasn't expecting. So who's to blame on that?? My bet is was the WR. Terry V stated it yesterday as he gave people updates of the game with conversation. Bottom line is that TOB is probably the best QB we have and we'll either win with him or we won't. Someone mentioned earlier that TOB didn't play well against UNI last year. Maybe he didn't but I do remember the year before when he lit up UNI at Coughlin. I understand that when things are going good the QB gets a lot of the ink and when things are going bad the QB also gets the blame. Thats just part of the deal. Football though is the ultimate team game and everyone has to be on the same page at all times.
                    I completely agree with everything in this statement. My post was in regards to the QB position as a 'whole'. It's pathetic and it goes just as much on the coaches as it does the players. I didn't want to mention Sumner in my post because that's not what I was trying to get at. It's obviously clear that Sumner/Thomas probably haven't done much in practice either by the amount of reps they received. I'm just really disappointed that O'Brien hasn't stepped up and proven he can start and get things done. He's got another 4.5 months to figure it out. You need a better performance than that from your 'leader', even if it is just a spring game.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      I completely agree with everything in this statement. My post was in regards to the QB position as a 'whole'. It's pathetic and it goes just as much on the coaches as it does the players. I didn't want to mention Sumner in my post because that's not what I was trying to get at. It's obviously clear that Sumner/Thomas probably haven't done much in practice either by the amount of reps they received. I'm just really disappointed that O'Brien hasn't stepped up and proven he can start and get things done. He's got another 4.5 months to figure it out. You need a better performance than that from your 'leader', even if it is just a spring game.
                      I'll just go back to what a few players have told me and they say its not even close between TOB and the others. Now whether thats just an organization response that we back our QB or if its fact IDK.
                      Last edited by joeboo22; 04-17-2011, 10:47 PM.

Comment

The spring game is what it is, I guess. But if O'Brien is the top quarterback and, come the regular season, doesn't play better and more consistent than he did last season...well...it's going to be a long one. I think that's fair enough to say. So here's hoping last year was a learning experience.
                        Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

TV's blog in the Argus today could not have been more spot on.

I have been tough on TV at times in the past, but man he hit it out of the ballpark today.

The team will be in turmoil with TOB's spring game performance over the whole summer as per TV. Absolutely.

Terry's blog today is an example of great reporting/analysis. TV showed me something today.
                          Last edited by shot_5533; 04-18-2011, 08:44 AM. Reason: poor grammar

Comment

Long time, first time here. My take on the spring game and a couple of other thoughts.

First-Oline looked great, who ever thought they sucked doesn't know what they are talking about. 1's gave up a couple of sacks but generally it what a coverage sack. They picked up twists and blitzes very well. Zone running is absolutely the last thing that will click for an offense. It takes much more time than even the timing routes receivers and qb's need. They had some great outside zones blocked mid season form, sealed the edge and hammered the alley player, where the running back slipped, tossed the ball in front of him. Castle fills in nicely for mcknight, wont notice a let up. The weak spot on the oline is right guard with buckner and olinger roatating, one of them will have to step up but overall the oline will be the best in the conference by mid season.

Which brings me to my next subject. Now is the time to make the move with Sumner. You give him a year where all he needs to do is not turn the ball over, make a couple 3rd down throws and all of a sudden we are in the mix with the top of the conference. At the end of the spring game you could see Sumner really get in to a rhythm. TOB, for however long I have seen him play, has never got in to a rhythm. Sumner throws a very, very catchable ball. Even when TOB completes a pass it is never smooth, I think that is do to him throwing a hard ball to catch. He has NO TOUCH. Kind of like a pitcher in baseball throwing a 95mph fastball but can't throw it over the plate, wont get you far in the big leagues.

P.S. First play sumner was in, was a zone read options and he pulled the hand off and kept it, gaining 15 yrds or whatever. You will never see TOB do that becuase it is hard to run the ball while holding a purse.

RB's doesn't really matter who runs. We could randomly select a poster on here and he could have a 1,000 yard behind this oline. Enough said. We will be able to run the ball on anyone. We have an NFL size line that is strong, athletic, and will have played together for 2 years.

Defense looked great, like they should in a spring game where they know the plays are coming and which route combinations go together. Some that stood out. Mink and Douglas will be very good, with Starr really looking impressive. Those three rotating will work great next year. DE's doesn't seem like we have a playmaker at the position. LB's Lien is a beast, straight thuggin people out there.... Look for him to have an all conference, all american year. Kilgore looked real good too. LB's are deep and talented, but will be very hard to replace Domino. He was a once in a generation type player the way he could cover an entire side of a field by himself. DB's honestly didn't watch them because the real football is played up front.

If the coaching staff were wise they will realize that not the upcoming year but the year after, the 2012 season is the year we will be able to make a deep, national championship type run in the post season. TOB will never get us there but with Sumner having a year under his belt and the offense playing together for 2 years, with the oline playing together 4 years. That is the year to focus on! Give Sumner his year of ups and downs next year because after that he will be on a tear lighting up the conference for the next 3 to come. Coaches will just need to supply him with the fastest kids around.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                              TV's blog in the Argus today could not have been more spot on.

I have been tough on TV at times in the past, but man he hit it out of the ballpark today.

The team will be in turmoil with TOB's spring game performance over the whole summer as per TV. Absolutely.

Terry's blog today is an example of great reporting/analysis. TV showed me something today.
                              Agree. TOB's performance in the spring game did nothing to qualm any QB controversy and in fact likely stoked the fire. If you are a fan of the Jackrabbits and not concerned about skill positions on the offensive side of the ball then you haven't been paying attention. I don't see how anyone can have any great deal of confidence in the QB, RB, or WR positions. More questions than answers after Saturday for sure.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                Agree. TOB's performance in the spring game did nothing to qualm any QB controversy and in fact likely stoked the fire. If you are a fan of the Jackrabbits and not concerned about skill positions on the offensive side of the ball then you haven't been paying attention. I don't see how anyone can have any great deal of confidence in the QB, RB, or WR positions. More questions than answers after Saturday for sure.
                                We did have some people though on the offensive side that did not suit up so hopefully when we get them back we will be more solid.

Comment

Working...
                                X