Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Game

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Enough of a sample size on TOB to see a continuing disturbing pattern in terms of his decision making abilities. Trend in the Big Ten for multi dimesional quarterbacks. http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...119889274.html Maybe Jacks should follow suit.
    When is the last time SDSU had a versatile QB?

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
      When is the last time SDSU had a versatile QB?
      Andy Kardoes and that is a stretch as I think his running was more due to his tough demeanor than any kind of running skill set.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        Andy Kardoes and that is a stretch as I think his running was more due to his tough demeanor than any kind of running skill set.
        I agree Heck- these QB's that we have don't have to be great runners to be able to bootleg. Play action bootleg passes are run quite a bit at every level of football. I hope we have them in our offensive package!

Comment

generally a good running QB can't throw if they can do both they generally end up higher then an FCS school in South Dakota.

Now I'll agree that we have to get some QB boot legs, some general running options. But I'll say this you have to teach them to slide if you are going to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            PS -- The game underscored, again, an obvious need -- the need for artificial turf on the game field and the longer-range need for a fieldhouse for bad-weather practices.
            I thought we considered that an advantage of playing at home?

Comment

By looking at these statements above I think I'm not in complete agreement with everyone on this board. I have been sticking up for Mr. O'Brien over and over, but there becomes a time when you start to figure things out. He has 4.5 months to do this or he will be losing his job to someone else on the depth chart. I think it's still his job to lose, but he's doing about everything he possibly can to lose it.

Some say that the offense is working on things and others say that the defense knows what's coming, but O'Brien is still the one making the decisions and making the bad throws. He, and the coaching staff, have said all spring that the key for them is to hang onto the ball and he did a terrible job of this yesterday. That, to me, is completely unacceptable.

O'Brien has had numerous opportunities to show that he can hang onto the ball and he's failed over and over again. If this team doesn't get a quarterback then they won't be going anywhere once the season begins. I am not saying that Sumner or Thomas is going to be the savior either. I'm just saying that this team really needs to get someone behind the center that can make some plays. During TV's chat yesterday I was sticking up for TOB and saying that he has a lot of time yet and he's still only a sophmore. But after that debacle of throwing 3 intereceptions and completing LESS THAN 50% of his passes, I have to say I don't feel that way anymore.

There's plenty of time to figure this out, but I'm sick of reading this aww shucks attitude of everything will be ok. I also think the coaching staff is just as much to blame as O'Brien. They've proved that they are unable to develop the QB position. I know that they are well aware of this and will be working on it, but it still doesn't make it acceptable. The quarterback play has been terrible these last two years and it will probably be three if this continues.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                There is no reason to panic over the QB situation.

I still agree, but I'm really unhappy with how things are going. SDSU probably beats UNI last year and could have potentially beat NDSU up there if TOB played even remotely decent. It's been unacceptable IMO.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

If, at this point, there is still no need to panic over the QB situation, such point does not exist...
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacksdistance View Post
                    I thought we considered that an advantage of playing at home?
                    I don't. Playing outside, yes. That's just fine. Playing and practicing on mucky turf. No. All that does is disrupt practice and level the playing field for lesser teams that visit SDSU.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                      If, at this point, there is still no need to panic over the QB situation, such point does not exist...
                      qft.

Comment

i saw 1 game last year and that was the Delaware game that was broadcast on the web. i never saw tob play ever in my life before that. it didn't take long to see his inability (in the delaware game) to check down to the next receiver. if he doesn't learn to do it he'll have to be replaced as the starter. like it or not, that's how i see it.

Comment

I was at the game. Here is my take.

if it dont happen in the pocket or close to, TOB is sunk. I liked it when Sumner make something out of nothing on broken plays or when there was not a reciever avail. It didnt help that sumner came in and did well when the wind was to his back.

The D looked good, and they should in a game like this.

Moss looked decent. Will have to see him play al little more to have a real opinion.

O-line sucked. QB didnt seem to have much time....ever.

Running backs did alright with the hand they were delt. Kool is the starter. Zenner was not impressive. 2 fumbles and couldnt keep his feet under him. Winterbor looked solid, and Tunge, wearing #30 has huge shoes to fill, but looked strong, and would have possible went for a td if the lame zebras wouldnt have blown a whistle when the QB was barely touched. Was not impressed with the other backs.

Kickers??? I was not impressed, but the wind was blowing a pretty good clip.

Seemed like alot of the same old same old for play calling.

Did i miss anything??

Comment

Did the offense run any of the pistol? Or they saving it.

Comment

I think somebody said it best on TV's blog yesterday during the game. They, as in the coaches, were going to do everything they could this spring to keep the older qb's happy this spring in fear of them transfering after spring ball. I would say come fall it's an open battle and even if TO is the starter at the begining he will have a very short leash. That would have been the case this year but they don't have any confidence in the backup and did not want to burn a red shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by KI DRIVER View Post
                                i saw 1 game last year and that was the Delaware game that was broadcast on the web. i never saw tob play ever in my life before that. it didn't take long to see his inability (in the delaware game) to check down to the next receiver. if he doesn't learn to do it he'll have to be replaced as the starter. like it or not, that's how i see it.
                                U see one game on the web and u claim to be an expert on the matter? It is about so much more than that. If Sumner or JThomas are better QB's than they have to prove it. Its obvious to me they have not showed that or they would be #1. I believe one of TOB's interception the WR ran a route that the QB wasn't expecting. So who's to blame on that?? My bet is was the WR. Terry V stated it yesterday as he gave people updates of the game with conversation. Bottom line is that TOB is probably the best QB we have and we'll either win with him or we won't. Someone mentioned earlier that TOB didn't play well against UNI last year. Maybe he didn't but I do remember the year before when he lit up UNI at Coughlin. I understand that when things are going good the QB gets a lot of the ink and when things are going bad the QB also gets the blame. Thats just part of the deal. Football though is the ultimate team game and everyone has to be on the same page at all times.

Comment

Working...
                                X