Comment

• Re: 2012 Recruiting List

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
      Here are his best track and field performance from last year:
      100 Meters: 12.1
      200 Meters: 25.7
      Shot Put: 58' 11
      Discus: 153' 10
      well the stars and numbers are aligned for this kid. now he just needs to go dominate on the field for four years amen

Comment

Did a quick search of Mike Shoff and picked up a few tidbits....
        1. He tore his meniscus and missed most of his junior year which may be why he doesn't have more offers.
        2. The reason Iowa might be so interested is that at one point he was considering both wrestling and playing football in college.
        3. Go to youtube and watch his wrestling videos.....wowza, he is a beast on the mat.
        4. Here is a choppy football clip
        http://www.justin.tv/cambtrojans/b/297495881

And finally he reminds me alot of Riley Reiff.... small town lineman, phenomenal wreslter, about the exact same measurables, plus they were both three star players.
        He does remind me of Reiff somewhat, he reminds me more of Nate Solder (Patriots OT), Reiff was 235 in high school and recruited as a d-lineman and had never played on the line. He has to eat over 10K calories a day to keep the weight up and has had problems keeping the weight on in the off-season. (wish I had that problem). This guy is already 280 pounds and has room to grow. SDSU tries to redshirt all the true freshman but this guy is physically ready to play right away.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          This is a great pickup, but there has to be a catch somewhere (I'm assuming). Did Kansas drop their scholly offer?

http://www.neprepzone.com/article/20120118/PREPZONE/701189763/1534

The article above says he's taking a visit to Kansas, SDSU, and Eastern Michigan. Was Kansas a walkon spot only?
          We need to remember that Kansas changed coaching staffs after the season. If the offer was from the old staff,things might have changed after the turnover.

Comment

Here are his best track and field performance from last year:100 Meters: 12.1 200 Meters: 25.7 Shot Put: 58' 11Discus: 153' 10
            That is a lot of person to be moving 100 meters in 12.1 seconds. Wow.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
              I like he can leap(29") vertical,that's a lot of weight to get two and a half feet off the ground.Wonder what he'd do on the defensive line at his height and jumping ability disrupting passes.
              That is some very good lower body power production.

Comment

Mike Shoff has been somewhat of a puzzle regarding recruiting in southcentral Nebraska. He has been interviewed by various media outlets numerous times and the concensus was that if the Huskers would have offered, he was going to Lincoln. Kansas had been the front runner as they have been very interested in him. However, their were some questions about having Charlie Weiss as head coach. His NFL background along with Tim Grunhard, former KC Chief All-Pro lineman as line coach was a positive. Shoff liked that potential, but many in the media speculated on the long term stability at Kansas with Weiss at the helm.

The Doug and Daddy radio show talked about Shoff last Friday as a potential recruit for both Kansas and SDSU. They also talked about the possibility of him sliding based on him being too nice of a guy that lacks a mean streak in football. Most area experts believed that if he could take his aggression from the wrestling mat to the grid iron, he has potential to play on Sundays in the NFL. The other knock may have been that he has not consistantly faced top flight competition based on Cambridge competing in the smallest class of 11-man football in Nebraska. (Mike Shoff discussion occurs around 7:19 into the podcast from 1/20/2012.)

About 41 minutes into the podcast, they interview Ross Halford with Huskermat.com. Ross is extremely high on Shoff as a wrestler. He has not had a match last longer than 1:08 minutes this year. Many of his matches last no more the 10 seconds. If he can manhandle wrestlers that easy and quickly, he obviously has great hands and footwork.

This has all worked in the Rabbits favor and Shoff has the potential to be the next great offensive lineman with an NFL career a distinct possibility if he can excell collegiately.
                Last edited by GopherHole; 01-23-2012, 12:05 PM. Reason: More info

Comment

Showing interest in Florida Port St. Lucie Treasure Coast WR Kevin Orozco - 5-10 175 us and Stetson
                  "As sure handed as they come; dominated 7-on-7 summer circuit but hasn't gotten the college interest he would like."
                  http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...9646.htmlstory

...and this story. I like the parts where they call him "gritty" and "sure-handed". Sounds like a kid with some heart to me. If he has the numbers i hope we extend and he accepts. Number thirty in the Sentinel's regional top 60.
                  http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,2572277.story
                  Last edited by Gameday; 01-23-2012, 07:32 PM.
                  “Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.” -Bernard Shaw

Comment

Shoff had an offer from Kansas and canceled his upcoming visit after commit to the Jacks

Sean Callahan
                    @Sean_Callahan
                    Cambridge HC Josh Graves told me tonight that OL Mike Shoff committed to South Dakota State and will not visit Kansas this weekend.#nebpreps

Comment

Regarding the Clay twins from Maryland, they were not offered on their trip based on the amount of offers SDSU already had on the table. At least that is what I have gathered and the twins are a package deal only. The only surprise of this is that I'm not sure why they paid to fly them both to Brookings and pay for their hotel/meals that weekend. The coaches originally were not even going to fly them out because they said they just don't recruit the Maryland area. They had serious concerns like it would be a waste of limited money because Maryland recruits usually don't commit to come that far away. That certainly is understandable. The Clays have since been offered by Marist and will take an official to Villanova. They also have been given the ole proverbial “preferred walk-on” status to attend the Univ. of Maryland. Actually, they really loved the trip to Brookings the best. Said it was like being in the town they are from where football is king. Loved the facilities, the people and how they were treated.

An important aspect to realize about FCS, D2 and D3 schools is that they really hand out money, not scholarships. Sometimes recruits get offered half scholarships or quarter scholarships. Based on financial aid, sometimes coaches only have to come up with $2000 per year of athletic money for some recruits. The Clays fall in this category given their EFC score. So SDSU is still working on getting them a place in this recruiting class depending on what comes of some other offers already out there.

I appreciate everyone giving the feedback. This board seems to have some really good people, makes you feel welcome. And I think this is the feeling the twins got on their visit. I will keep posting here when I know where they are signing. Although I think it would be tough to pass up a $43,000 a year education at Marist or Villanova, they like SDSU the best. The official visit to Brookings really sold them.

Comment

Originally posted by MDTerp View Post
                        Regarding the Clay twins from Maryland, they were not offered on their trip based on the amount of offers SDSU already had on the table. At least that is what I have gathered and the twins are a package deal only. The only surprise of this is that I'm not sure why they paid to fly them both to Brookings and pay for their hotel/meals that weekend. The coaches originally were not even going to fly them out because they said they just don't recruit the Maryland area. They had serious concerns like it would be a waste of limited money because Maryland recruits usually don't commit to come that far away. That certainly is understandable. The Clays have since been offered by Marist and will take an official to Villanova. They also have been given the ole proverbial “preferred walk-on” status to attend the Univ. of Maryland. Actually, they really loved the trip to Brookings the best. Said it was like being in the town they are from where football is king. Loved the facilities, the people and how they were treated.

An important aspect to realize about FCS, D2 and D3 schools is that they really hand out money, not scholarships. Sometimes recruits get offered half scholarships or quarter scholarships. Based on financial aid, sometimes coaches only have to come up with $2000 per year of athletic money for some recruits. The Clays fall in this category given their EFC score. So SDSU is still working on getting them a place in this recruiting class depending on what comes of some other offers already out there.

I appreciate everyone giving the feedback. This board seems to have some really good people, makes you feel welcome. And I think this is the feeling the twins got on their visit. I will keep posting here when I know where they are signing. Although I think it would be tough to pass up a $43,000 a year education at Marist or Villanova, they like SDSU the best. The official visit to Brookings really sold them.
                        That is encouraging and hope the twins are on campus next fall. Why we paid the trip out here? I think we might be looking at new areas to recruit. I think these two are genuine and must have come across in that manner. A man's word still means something in the Dakota's. Plus we seemed to have always paid everyone's way to Brookings for the visit, and sometimes it has not paid off. Some end up about 185 miles north of here or 120 miles south.(NDSU & USD) Our coach said earlier this fall that he had 22 offers out there in a general comment with zero commitments. Whether the twins were discovered subsequent to that I do not know.

Getting an invite to visit seems to be a big step in getting recruited.

Comment

In TV's Tuesday's Tidbits today, he writes on Mike Schoff and Isaac Rodriguez (verbal, from Orlando, FL). TV provides a Youtube link for highlights on Rodriguez running with the ball. He's fast!
                          Link to the Tuesday's Tidbits: http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            That is encouraging and hope the twins are on campus next fall. Why we paid the trip out here? I think we might be looking at new areas to recruit. I think these two are genuine and must have come across in that manner. A man's word still means something in the Dakota's. Plus we seemed to have always paid everyone's way to Brookings for the visit, and sometimes it has not paid off. Some end up about 185 miles north of here or 120 miles south.(NDSU & USD) Our coach said earlier this fall that he had 22 offers out there in a general comment with zero commitments. Whether the twins were discovered subsequent to that I do not know.

Getting an invite to visit seems to be a big step in getting recruited.
                            As I mentioned earlier, I think this Jacks don't recruit in certain areas thing should be looked at in a more complex way than just geography. There are parts of western Maryland where folks, culturally, would be very much at home in Brookings/Sioux Falls. Both have modestly sized towns and cities, with lots of small towns and hamlets, farming a vital industry, people that like the outdoors... Only difference is you gotta go a few hundred miles west of Brookings to get to the mountains. Weather is milder in western Maryland but closer to Brooings than Tampa or Phoenix by a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              As I mentioned earlier, I think this Jacks don't recruit in certain areas thing should be looked at in a more complex way than just geography. There are parts of western Maryland where folks, culturally, would be very much at home in Brookings/Sioux Falls. Both have modestly sized towns and cities, with lots of small towns and hamlets, farming a vital industry, people that like the outdoors... Only difference is you gotta go a few hundred miles west of Brookings to get to the mountains. Weather is milder in western Maryland but closer to Brooings than Tampa or Phoenix by a long shot.
                              You are very correct NoVaJack. Western Maryland seems to be very much like Brookings. The weekend the Clay twins visited (Jan. 14) they were not sure what to expect in the way of winter clothing. Turns out it was 0 degrees in Frostburg, MD with the wind chill...a town about 15 minutes west of Cumberland. We are actually right on the Potomac River. You throw a rock on the other side and that is West Virginia. Throw a rock the other direction and it lands in Pennsylvania. Virginia is a 30 minute ride.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                                Agree, we have stayed away from what is considered the "East" in fact you would have to dig a long ways to find any one even from Pittsburg Pennsylvania which is a distance from western Maryland. The one guy I am thinking of, and probably only Roy and Jack#1 will recall him, and that was the late Bill McDonald, who played football and ran track. In fact track injuries inhibited his football career. I know of one reader of this board, who pointed in one of his books or articles that Bill had been very helpful in understanding the incident at Little Rock High School. Bill lost his life in the Viet Nam, but fit in quite well on campus, being a minority during the start of the civil rights movement. His first season of football, he was very explosive as a running back, speed the old NCC had not seen much of. I know there are the New York guys that came via transfer from Yankton High school, but Bill was somehow recruited right out of high school.

If we can use our connections in recruting and they work out for the student and the institution then thats what we are trying to accomplolish. I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X