X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Recruiting List

Originally posted by Gameday View Post
    New commit Isaac Rodriguez from Florida:
    Isaac Rodriguez, a speedy athlete — running back, receiver, cornerback — for the high-powered Orlando Freedom football team this past season, has committed to signing to play with NCAA Division I-AA South Dakota State, joining former Orlando Boone defensive back Joe Martinson at SDSU.

“I picked South Dakota State because I visited the school last weekend and I fell in love with the facilities, students,” Rodriguez said. “The coaches really love me and they are looking for a speed guy to play right away as a freshman running back even though I’m going to miss playing corner......

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/flo...-dakota-state/
    We have ALWAYS been missing a kid like this. This can seriously change the offense. Not to mention we have Gandy as well. Things are looking up

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
      This is a great pickup, but there has to be a catch somewhere (I'm assuming). Did Kansas drop their scholly offer?

http://www.neprepzone.com/article/20120118/PREPZONE/701189763/1534

The article above says he's taking a visit to Kansas, SDSU, and Eastern Michigan. Was Kansas a walkon spot only?
      All 3 sites; rivals, scouts, and espn showed offers. But I thought the same thing.

Comment

Well either way he's a fantastic sign (on paper anyways). I'm really glad they picked up another OL because I keep thinking about having two starters graduating after this year. I'm not sure what depth is there between the freshman-juniors.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

My guess is that he had the offers and was waiting on another offer (maybe from Nebraska) but when it didn't come his previous offers had been retracted and used on someone else.

Complete guess though.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
            Wowza... Don't see SDSU getting too many 3 star recruits who had BCS school offers.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...346/mike-shoff
            Mitchell, any word on whether those twins from Md. were offered?

Comment

Doesn't sound like they were extended an offer yet. Just based on the poster who was on saying that they enjoyed their visit and if offered they would commit. Considering we haven't heard anything, my guess they haven't been extended an offer.

I wouldn't doubt they do offer them though since they spent the money to fly them in.

Seems to me that they are probably waiting on a couple players they have offers out to. If they don't commit to SDSU, than they'll offer the two from MD.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                Doesn't sound like they were extended an offer. Just based on the poster who was on saying that they enjoyed their visit and if offered they would commit. Considering we haven't heard anything, my guess they haven't been extended an offer.

I wouldn't doubt they do offer them though since they spent the money to fly them in. Guess we'll see.
                Its a little harder when it comes to those recruits that are far away, especially an area that SDSU hasn't recruited in the past. They may have been offered but not 100% (you can do that in football)

Comment

To me it looks like they have done eoungh to get a scholly offer. Part of recruiting imo is bringing in 2 kinds of kids. 1 who are good enough to get a scholly that we compete with our peers to get. 2nd bringing in guys who want to be here. Now just cuz a kids wants to go some where does not make him a good fit or pick up but these kids from md I think could help our team. IE local guys the hohns and koneig and mcnights who walked on. But for out of state guys may take a scholly up front to ge them in but would be well worth it.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Game of musical chairs,one by one they keep pulling a chair out,one by one the recruits and the school re-evaluate.Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.I for one am glad for all the fine recruits we've got so far,and all those yet to be got.I'm sure we offer way more than we have, but that's because there's no way to know who will accept and who will not.Wish there was a better way, but i don't know what it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by sdjackfan40 View Post
                      Per Tv's Tweet. Huge pickup!
                      Mike Schoff, an OT from Cambridge, Neb., says he has verbaled to SDSU. 3-star recruit offered by Iowa and Kansas.
                      http://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/player-Mike-Shoff-107568

H
                      ere is another link about him.
                      http://www.neprepzone.com/article/20120118/PREPZONE/701189763/1534

There are very few offensive linemen that an FCS team has a legitimate chance of landing that are physically ready to play as a true freshman, but this kid might be one of them. Absolutely huge.

What makes me even more excited about bringing in this kid is his 134-1 wrestling record and 3 state championships in the sport. Wrestlers that have the size to play football generally do well since wrestling has so much to do with balance and leverage.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        There are very few offensive linemen that an FCS team has a legitimate chance of landing that are physically ready to play as a true freshman, but this kid might be one of them. Absolutely huge.

What makes me even more excited about bringing in this kid is his 134-1 wrestling record and 3 state championships in the sport. Wrestlers that have the size to play football generally do well since wrestling has so much to do with balance and leverage.
                        Agreed - plus the kid ran the 100 and 200 in track, along with throwing. I didn't see his times - but it was likely a conditioning versus competitive deal. Either way - I love the looks of this type of athlete. A piece like this could be HUGE to our running game (which I think is going to surprise people with the horses we have in the stable). Another great weekend to be a Jackrabbit!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                          Agreed - plus the kid ran the 100 and 200 in track, along with throwing. I didn't see his times - but it was likely a conditioning versus competitive deal. Either way - I love the looks of this type of athlete. A piece like this could be HUGE to our running game (which I think is going to surprise people with the horses we have in the stable). Another great weekend to be a Jackrabbit!!!
                          I like he can leap(29") vertical,that's a lot of weight to get two and a half feet off the ground.Wonder what he'd do on the defensive line at his height and jumping ability disrupting passes.Guess it's too late to switch a guy from offense to defense.I defer to someone with more extensive football knowledge.He's probably much more valuable on the OL anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                            I like he can leap(29") vertical,that's a lot of weight to get two and a half feet off the ground.Wonder what he'd do on the defensive line at his height and jumping ability disrupting passes.Guess it's too late to switch a guy from offense to defense.I defer to someone with more extensive football knowledge.He's probably much more valuable on the OL anyhow.
                            definitely more valuable as an O-lineman. Some people can make the switch easily while others can't. However looking at the o-line this year and the fact that he is a 3 star recruit I think it would be foolish to switch him.

Look at the lineman today and they are going more towards the taller, leaner, stronger, quicker guy and making them eat 10K cals a day to keep the weight on.

Comment

this is fantastic i was just thinking the other day how it would be great if we picked up a really good lineman...

Comment

Did a quick search of Mike Shoff and picked up a few tidbits....
                                1. He tore his meniscus and missed most of his junior year which may be why he doesn't have more offers.
                                2. The reason Iowa might be so interested is that at one point he was considering both wrestling and playing football in college.
                                3. Go to youtube and watch his wrestling videos.....wowza, he is a beast on the mat.
                                4. Here is a choppy football clip
                                http://www.justin.tv/cambtrojans/b/297495881

And finally he reminds me alot of Riley Reiff.... small town lineman, phenomenal wreslter, about the exact same measurables, plus they were both three star players.

Comment

Working...
                                X