Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2012 Recruiting List

Originally posted by MDTerp View Post
    You are very correct NoVaJack. Western Maryland seems to be very much like Brookings. The weekend the Clay twins visited (Jan. 14) they were not sure what to expect in the way of winter clothing. Turns out it was 0 degrees in Frostburg, MD with the wind chill...a town about 15 minutes west of Cumberland. We are actually right on the Potomac River. You throw a rock on the other side and that is West Virginia. Throw a rock the other direction and it lands in Pennsylvania. Virginia is a 30 minute ride.
    God's country, in other words.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Agree, we have stayed away from what is considered the "East" in fact you would have to dig a long ways to find any one even from Pittsburg Pennsylvania which is a distance from western Maryland. The one guy I am thinking of, and probably only Roy and Jack#1 will recall him, and that was the late Bill McDonald, who played football and ran track. In fact track injuries inhibited his football career. I know of one reader of this board, who pointed in one of his books or articles that Bill had been very helpful in understanding the incident at Little Rock High School. Bill lost his life in the Viet Nam, but fit in quite well on campus, being a minority during the start of the civil rights movement. His first season of football, he was very explosive as a running back, speed the old NCC had not seen much of. I know there are the New York guys that came via transfer from Yankton High school, but Bill was somehow recruited right out of high school.

If we can use our connections in recruting and they work out for the student and the institution then thats what we are trying to accomplolish. I think.

Hate to keep bursting your bubble here, Nidaros, but Pittsburgh is NOT that far from western Md. It is about the same distance from aforementioned Cumberland to the Steel City (a great city, BTW) as it is from Watertown to Sioux Falls. Cujmberland is closer to Pittsburgh than it is to Baltimore.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        Hate to keep bursting your bubble here, Nidaros, but Pittsburgh is NOT that far from western Md. It is about the same distance from aforementioned Cumberland to the Steel City (a great city, BTW) as it is from Watertown to Sioux Falls. Cujmberland is closer to Pittsburgh than it is to Baltimore.
        Oh okay, I have traveled some back that way, but really have no concept of distance. I drove from Northwest Suburbs of Chcicago to DC in order to start my job with the Fed in 1985. It seemed like a long drive.

Comment

Regarding the Clay twins from Maryland, they were not offered on their trip based on the amount of offers SDSU already had on the table. At least that is what I have gathered and the twins are a package deal only. The only surprise of this is that I'm not sure why they paid to fly them both to Brookings and pay for their hotel/meals that weekend. The coaches originally were not even going to fly them out because they said they just don't recruit the Maryland area. They had serious concerns like it would be a waste of limited money because Maryland recruits usually don't commit to come that far away. That certainly is understandable. The Clays have since been offered by Marist and will take an official to Villanova. They also have been given the ole proverbial “preferred walk-on” status to attend the Univ. of Maryland. Actually, they really loved the trip to Brookings the best. Said it was like being in the town they are from where football is king. Loved the facilities, the people and how they were treated.

An important aspect to realize about FCS, D2 and D3 schools is that they really hand out money, not scholarships. Sometimes recruits get offered half scholarships or quarter scholarships. Based on financial aid, sometimes coaches only have to come up with $2000 per year of athletic money for some recruits. The Clays fall in this category given their EFC score. So SDSU is still working on getting them a place in this recruiting class depending on what comes of some other offers already out there.

I appreciate everyone giving the feedback. This board seems to have some really good people, makes you feel welcome. And I think this is the feeling the twins got on their visit. I will keep posting here when I know where they are signing. Although I think it would be tough to pass up a $43,000 a year education at Marist or Villanova, they like SDSU the best. The official visit to Brookings really sold them.
          My guess is that SDSU is waiting on a couple other players who they had made offers to before the Clay twins. If those players commit elsewhere, than the Clay twins will be seeing an offer. Since they are from Maryland, a place we don't often recruit, they most likely weren't the first players SDSU targeted but came into the picture as SDSU was looking for players incase others fell through.

The last couple weeks before signing day is usually when you start seeing SDSU recruit California, Georgia, & Florida to fill out positions they didn't find in SD, MN, IA, NE, & AZ. It looks like we are now adding Maryland into that mix as well.

Comment

Per TV twitter_ Connor Landberg, a 6-4, 190-pound WR from Laguna Hills, Calif., said that he has given a verbal to SDSU. Had 41 rec for 735 yds, 16 TDs.

Comment

Regarding the Clay twins from Maryland, they were not offered on their trip based on the amount of offers SDSU already had on the table. At least that is what I have gathered and the twins are a package deal only. The only surprise of this is that I'm not sure why they paid to fly them both to Brookings and pay for their hotel/meals that weekend. The coaches originally were not even going to fly them out because they said they just don't recruit the Maryland area. They had serious concerns like it would be a waste of limited money because Maryland recruits usually don't commit to come that far away. That certainly is understandable. The Clays have since been offered by Marist and will take an official to Villanova. They also have been given the ole proverbial “preferred walk-on” status to attend the Univ. of Maryland. Actually, they really loved the trip to Brookings the best. Said it was like being in the town they are from where football is king. Loved the facilities, the people and how they were treated.

An important aspect to realize about FCS, D2 and D3 schools is that they really hand out money, not scholarships. Sometimes recruits get offered half scholarships or quarter scholarships. Based on financial aid, sometimes coaches only have to come up with $2000 per year of athletic money for some recruits. The Clays fall in this category given their EFC score. So SDSU is still working on getting them a place in this recruiting class depending on what comes of some other offers already out there.

I appreciate everyone giving the feedback. This board seems to have some really good people, makes you feel welcome. And I think this is the feeling the twins got on their visit. I will keep posting here when I know where they are signing. Although I think it would be tough to pass up a $43,000 a year education at Marist or Villanova, they like SDSU the best. The official visit to Brookings really sold them.
              The one thing to remember about FCS is 63 full scholarship $ per 85 students. Where D-II can split up the money anyways possible. Even if its a small # of $ they still count as 2 on the 85. From what I've read and you have said they sound like the type of guys SDSU recruits, but I'm guessing that they might be towards the back burners by SDSU recruits because of a few reasons.

One reason being its a place they usually recruit, that means you don't know as much about them, maybe they are still calling around, etc. trying to get some info on the guys. If its an area you have recruited or you have some connections too you know the hs coaches or people in the area to get an "honest" perspective. (not saying you or them aren't honest but when it comes to offering money you want it from someone you trust)

Another reason being they are a package deal, Now it sounds like they could play different positions but again its 2 slots. That whole notion we have room for 1 but not both. Or I like X at this position but Y is better at this position and we don't have a slot open.

And the last reason and this is what I would tell the two, recruiting is a VERY FAST game that changes up til and during signing day. Maybe SDSU has some recruits coming in this weekend that play the same position, ect. If some sign elsewhere they could still be interested.

Comment

Per TV:

Connor Landberg, a 6-4, 190-pound WR from Laguna Hills, Calif. Here's some video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=155p3UR3B9A

He doesn't look very fast in the video. Looks to be a possession receiver with decent hands.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Here is Connor's senior year highlight film:

He might not be a burner, but I'd hesitate to say he isn't very fast. Tall kids who take long strides can be very deceiving in how fast they are moving, and Mr. Landberg seemed to get behind the defense an awful lot.
                  If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                    He might not be a burner, but I'd hesitate to say he isn't very fast. Tall kids who take long strides can be very deceiving in how fast they are moving, and Mr. Landberg seemed to get behind the defense an awful lot.
                    +++++

Good point. Also, he looks WAY better (and faster) in the video you posted. Which is obviously going to happen considering it's his senior year compared to his junior year.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      Per TV:

Connor Landberg, a 6-4, 190-pound WR from Laguna Hills, Calif. Here's some video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=155p3UR3B9A

He doesn't look very fast in the video. Looks to be a possession receiver with decent hands.
                      Are you kidding? That DB had an angle on him and didn't even close on him!

Comment

Reminds me a little of Dale. You don't realize how fast he is because he is 6'4" and his legs don't have to turn so quickly to cover those yards.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          Are you kidding? That DB had an angle on him and didn't even close on him!
                          It couldn't possibly be because the DB is slow.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

+++++

Good point. Also, he looks WAY better (and faster) in the video you posted. Which is obviously going to happen considering it's his senior year compared to his junior year.
                            Granted it is a highlight clip, so of course he looks good. however, it seems like him and the QB have some pretty good timing together. For a high school, that is some pretty impressive route running. I also noticed that they ran an end around with him, so that makes me think he has some speed.
                            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Alright everyone. I made a mistake and said he looked a little slow, which I thought he did on his junior yr video. He looks much better on the video Kemo posted. I admitted I was wrong. No big deal. I'm looking forward to watching Connor in a Jacks uniform.

Comment

Alright everyone. I made a mistake and said he looked a little slow, which I thought he did on his junior yr video. He looks much better on the video Kemo posted. I admitted I was wrong. No big deal. I'm looking forward to watching Connor in a Jacks uniform.
                                How dare you be critical of a recruit! You are the worse fan ever!
                                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                                X